xXBlackRevengexX
March 2nd, 2008 at 05:51pm
Hell is where we're all headed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha
Holly Way
Jazz Hands
Holly Way
March 2nd, 2008 at 10:19pm
my chemical romance.:
"I'm writing this letter" - He's overseas, and he's writing a letter back home.
"Stop asking me questions, I hate to see you cry" - The mother is asking questions, and crying from worrying about the death of her son.
"Well Mother, what the war did to my legs and to my tongue." Is pretty obvious.
"But there's shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun."

That sounds right...i never thought of it that way
Fallen Soul
Killjoy
Fallen Soul
March 6th, 2008 at 10:56am
stop asking me questions id hate to see you cry she could be asking about were hes at and whats happening
and if you can coddle the infection we can amputate at once
could mean he got shot and they dont have the equiptment to treat it and the infection is spreading and he is expecting to die???
happy_thoughts2012
Killjoy
happy_thoughts2012
March 8th, 2008 at 01:52am
Please don't hurt me. I'm kind of thinking this up as I go.
"Mama we all go to hell.
Mama we all go to hell.
I'm writing this letter and wishing you well.
Mama we all go to hell."
[he's saying that he wasn't the greatest person in the world and did some bad things. He's writing a farewell letter or a will because he's dying from the cancer.]

"Mama we're all gonna die.
Mama we're all gonna die.
Stop asking me questions, I'd hate to see you cry.
Mama we're all gonna die."
[we're all going to die eventually. His mom is asking questions that are very painfully and he doesn't want her to cry over it.]

"And when we go don't blame us, yeah,
We let the fire just bathe us, yeah,
You made us oh so famous
We'll never let you go.
And when you go don't return to me my love."
[like he said in the beginning, he thinks he's going to go to hell. and people believe in hell that you're bathed in eternal flame. I think he's saying that he thinks he deserves to go to hell. I'm not sure about the famous part. He might be saying that he'll never forget his family whatever happens to him.]

"Mama we're all full of lies.
Mama we're meant for the flies.
And right now they're building a coffin your size.
Mama we're all full of lies."
[he's saying he's a liar, and that we all are. He thinks he's not worth dirt and if his mother found out the truth would cause her to die of heart break.]

"Well mother what the war did to my legs and to my tongue,
You should've raised a baby girl
I should've been a better son
If you can coddle the infection they can amputate at once,
You should've been!
I could've been a better son."
[the chemo[sp] therapy has made him physically weak and the whole thing has made him bitter. I wish I had been a better child, but you could have been a better mother.]

"And when we go don't blame us, yeah,
We let the fire just bathe us yeah,
You made us oh so famous,
We'll never let you go."
[again,like he said in the begining, he think's he's going to go to hell. and people believe in hell that you're bathed in eternal flame. I think he's saying that he thinks he deserves to go to hell. I'm not sure about the famous part. He might be saying that he'll never forget his family whatever happens to him.]

"She said "you aint no son of mine"
For what you've done they're gonna find
A place for you and just you mind
Your manners when you go."
[his mom wishes he was different? I kind of think gerard refers to his past a bit w/ the drinking and stuff. like his mom knows about what he was doing and hated it and hopes he gets what he deserves for the trouble it caused.]

"And when you go don't return to me my love,
That's right."
[his mom telling him that she loves him unconditionally?]

"Mama we all go to hell,
Mama we all go to hell,
It�s really quite pleasant except for the smell,
Mama we all go to hell."
[like I said before, he thinks he's going to go to hell because he knows he's done wrong. He's saying that he feels like it's what he deserves, but it smells pretty funky.]

"Mama, Mama, Mama, ohhhh.
Mama, Mama, Mama."
[he's calling out to her]

Liza: "and if you would call me your sweet heart, I'd maybe then sing you a song"
[singing as the mother, saying that all she wants him to do is appolgize and she'll be happy.]

Gerard: "But the shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun,
You would cry out your eyes all along."
[he's scared to admit what he's done because it would break her heart.]

"We�re damned after all.
Through fortune and flame we fall.
And if you will say that "I'll show you the way
To return from the ashes you call." "
[no matter what, he can't erase what he's done. no matter what he does, he can't undo it.]

"We all carry on
when our brothers in arms are gone
So raise your glass high for tomorrow we die
And return from the ashes you call"
[maybe he's talking about watching people abandon him because of what he's done and he wishes he could make it right before he dies.]
-I love MCR like you love air.
i know i suck
Killjoy
i know i suck
March 8th, 2008 at 12:39pm
my chemical romance.:
"I'm writing this letter" - He's overseas, and he's writing a letter back home.
"Stop asking me questions, I hate to see you cry" - The mother is asking questions, and crying from worrying about the death of her son.
"Well Mother, what the war did to my legs and to my tongue." Is pretty obvious.
"But there's shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun."

i agree with you guys. it's about a boy going to war and writing letters back home. his mum replies to the letters with nervous questions, always wondering if this will be the last letter. she worries day and night if this will be the last time, if he'll even receive this letter. she signs her letters with too many hugs and kisses and repeats too many times that she loves him. she begs him to come home in each letter she sends. at first he thinks he's doing the right thing and refuses to come home until this war is over.then he gets badly shot and starts to reconsider but it's too late for he's dying and he wishes he would've listened to his mother. he sends his final letter from his hospital bed telling her he should've listened to her and been a better son. he also states that if she had raised a baby girl, this never would've happened. she would have her baby right there at home with her. he says goodbye but she's in denial. she won't let herself believe he's gone now. she closes her eyes and says a prayer but all she can hear is his sweet little voice ringing in her ear, screaming MAMA, MAMA, MAMA!!!

i totally just made that up right now, but does anyone agree? even partially. you know it kinda makes sense.
AwwxSugar
Killjoy
AwwxSugar
March 8th, 2008 at 01:04pm
In this song, Gerard starts off with telling her mom how tragic things are in the war, the war can also be considered as the problems you face in your life, the patient is telling the closest person he has about the horrible things he is forced to do in the war, (or in life) '' well mother what the war did to my legs and to my tongue'' is like , ''Look what life has made me become, im broken'' This can be interpreted as the bully in a school, hes had a hard life, so its as if hes forced to doing bad things to other people

''If u can coddle the infection they can amputate at once'' The mother is saying, as long as hes not gonna die, you can take whatever you want from his life''

And when we go don't blame us, yeah,
we'll let the fire just bathe us

The patient doesn't want his mother to worry about him, he doesn't want her to come to him and tell him '' Look what you've caused on yourself'' He telling her just let me suffer, and stop reminding me about what i've done.
Letting the fire bathe you as in, taking the consequences for your actions, because once you've finished your punishment you become sin-free and clean, because you got what you deserve, it's like duality.
AwwxSugar
Killjoy
AwwxSugar
March 8th, 2008 at 01:05pm
telling HIS** mom lol sry blonde moment >.<
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 10th, 2008 at 11:23pm
Hehe. 1st time i heard this song, i thought thwy'd had freudian issues with their moms.

frankly tho, IMHO it demonstrates tension in this guy's relationship with his mom, & the fact that he thinks he's gonna go to hell when he dies in the war bcoz of y'know, all the terrible things that u do during war -- killing & maiming & torturing. & im guessing (from this guy's POV) he thinks his mama would never forgiv him if she knew all these terrible things, that she would condemn him for it.

he probly had a pretty wholesome moral upbringing & all (partly resulting in a very firm belief in the existence of Hell), and the fall from grace is too much to handle. so he pours it all out -- his fury & regret & remorse -- in that last letter home.
I Iuv Gerard
Killjoy
I Iuv Gerard
March 14th, 2008 at 07:45pm
i think it about somthin he did wen he was young
xhead1st4halos94x
Fabulous Killjoy
xhead1st4halos94x
March 14th, 2008 at 08:11pm
x-Hail Of Bullets-x:
This may be wrong - but I think it's about war.

My main clue is that in the booklet with the CD it says that Liza Minnelli plays "Mother War"
'

I think this song is about war as well. I mean there are sounds of gunshots in the begining. And I also think how it says the lyrics 1"were all gonna die," 2"mother what the war did to my legs and to my tongue" 3"the shit that ive done with this fuck of a gun" 4"When our brothers and arms are gone," and 5"raise your glass high for tomorrow we die" These all seem that they could be related to war

1 Could be about suicide missions, or just general fear
2Ummmm... kinda self explanitory it says war and of course he's probably talking about injuries
3He could be talking about guilt from doing what he had done in the war, the same applies for when he says "mama we're meant for the flies"
4 He could be talking about losing friends or family in battle and of course losing limbs.
5 And the last quote seems to feel that he knows he could possibly die in battle tomorrow and knows that this may be his last day

Also i think that the idea about liza minelli being called "mother war" is a big give away too.

The cool thing about mcr tho is that they use metaphors alot so they could be talking about war and the point theyre trying to get across can be something completely different, thats why i love them so much. Idk if this is right tho..... mmmk BYES!
DisenchantedGirl
Killjoy
DisenchantedGirl
March 18th, 2008 at 01:30am
I'm thinking that Gerard is taking on different personalities when he sings this song, but all tied together with the same situation-They've faced war. And war sucks. Guilt from what they've done, and who they've killed, and guilt of what they haven't done and haven't said yet is what I'm thinking of. I have this mental picture a hospital filled with soldiers. But I don't think they're actually writing back to thier mothers/lovers, I think that verse is more symbolic, not to be taken literally. But they know they're facing death, and some feel they're facing hell for what they've done. And it's as if pain, guilt, and even insanity is what they're all feeling and going through. Eh, I tried.
Hellia
Killjoy
Hellia
March 18th, 2008 at 09:21am
For me this song is against war. And I like the way Gerard and Liza sing it.
emokay7
Killjoy
emokay7
April 10th, 2008 at 10:05am
This song, in my opinion, is about someone's 'Mama' being disappointed in them as far as the direction in which their life went. I dont think that the purpose was to talk about someone ina war, but using the war as a metaphor as someone's chaotic life. Basically, the entire song is one big metaphor for how 'Mother War' (the disappointed mother) being disappointed in this person so intenseley.
xLadyxOfxSorrowx
Killjoy
xLadyxOfxSorrowx
April 13th, 2008 at 01:51am
Jumping in here, Smile

I actually never interpreted this song being about a literal war or death, only about the struggles of life. I mean, it could be, if you're implying it to the patient's story, but I've always found it very deep and representative.

Everyone loves their Mama, right? Well, I think the storyteller is saying to everything he/she loved- the 'Mama'- that their life has messed them up and how they're sorry for all the mistakes, but also how those things and people they loved has saved them from going totally downhill.

And when we go don't blame us, yeah.
We'll let the fires just bathe us, yeah.
You made us, oh, so famous.
We'll never let you go.
And when you go don't return to me my love.
[The storyteller has made a terrible mistake in life. They are running away from it, but at the same time enjoying the misery- the first and second lines-. Also, the things that are loved are saying they love him/her back, but will never forgive them. This implies that the storyteller's life is imploding and will never turn back]

Well Mother, what the war did to my legs and to my tongue,
You should've raised a baby girl,
I should've been a better son.
If you could coddle the infection
They can amputate at once.
You should've been,
I could have been a better son.
[What life -'war'- has done to him/her will never be undone. As for the second and third lines- everyone thinks that little girls are 'sweeter' than boys, right? I've always thought that that's just another way for the storyteller of saying 'I'm so messed up, everything's terrible'. And for my favorite lines in the song- the fourth and fifth here- it's saying the mistakes, or 'infection', can only be made once, but they've done them over and over again.]

I think you basically get my point. Sorry. I rant a lot, and I think I went too deep with this one, but...this song always meant a lot to me, and I love it, so I talk about it endlessly. Haha....
St3ph_MCR_
Killjoy
St3ph_MCR_
April 15th, 2008 at 05:54am
i agree i reckon its about war
DanYELLDAMAGED
Killjoy
DanYELLDAMAGED
April 26th, 2008 at 08:36am
I think this is basically about a solider about war who cant handle it and is badly injured but cant bare to think his mother is upset by what hes having to do, hes also worried he will go to hell because had to kill and he might have made himself hurt to get himself sent home as many soilders did in WW2
Jaissy
Killjoy
Jaissy
April 26th, 2008 at 03:10pm
matfew churlz sanduz:
I agree.
That and the whole gun shots before the song actually starts thing might be a give away.
I was reading somewhere, I'm not sure where, and this person was saying it is a song about Gerard missing his mum.
I'm not sure how one would get that kind of meaning from Mama, other then from the song title...

no couse ummmm the gost of u is about war
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
April 26th, 2008 at 11:18pm
MyWicketRomance:
Jumping in here, Smile

I actually never interpreted this song being about a literal war or death, only about the struggles of life. I mean, it could be, if you're implying it to the patient's story, but I've always found it very deep and representative.

Everyone loves their Mama, right? Well, I think the storyteller is saying to everything he/she loved- the 'Mama'- that their life has messed them up and how they're sorry for all the mistakes, but also how those things and people they loved has saved them from going totally downhill.

And when we go don't blame us, yeah.
We'll let the fires just bathe us, yeah.
You made us, oh, so famous.
We'll never let you go.
And when you go don't return to me my love.
[The storyteller has made a terrible mistake in life. They are running away from it, but at the same time enjoying the misery- the first and second lines-. Also, the things that are loved are saying they love him/her back, but will never forgive them. This implies that the storyteller's life is imploding and will never turn back]

Well Mother, what the war did to my legs and to my tongue,
You should've raised a baby girl,
I should've been a better son.
If you could coddle the infection
They can amputate at once.
You should've been,
I could have been a better son.
[What life -'war'- has done to him/her will never be undone. As for the second and third lines- everyone thinks that little girls are 'sweeter' than boys, right? I've always thought that that's just another way for the storyteller of saying 'I'm so messed up, everything's terrible'. And for my favorite lines in the song- the fourth and fifth here- it's saying the mistakes, or 'infection', can only be made once, but they've done them over and over again.]

I think you basically get my point. Sorry. I rant a lot, and I think I went too deep with this one, but...this song always meant a lot to me, and I love it, so I talk about it endlessly. Haha....

Actually that's what i thought too when i first heard Mama. I knew it was about the impact of war but i also got the feeling it might be bigger than that.... & there's this definite theme of guilt running thru the song.

There's this common after-effect of war called survivor's guilt where the ones who survive feel bitter about living, & they feel like they cant go back to normal life again -- the loss of their compatriots to the horrors of battle is like a gaping hole & it feels like they'r already dead, or should be, instd of cmg home with a missing limb which (to me) almost represents the part of thmselves they lostn in the war.

sorry if im over-analysing, i never meant to; these thoughts just come =P
XXxxMCR4EVAxxXX
Killjoy
XXxxMCR4EVAxxXX
April 27th, 2008 at 08:24am
i'm pretty sure it's about world war one, and how like the soilders used to write letters and stuff like that