Don't have an account? Create one!

Mama

AuthorMessage
Wednesday Way!
Killjoy
Wednesday Way!
July 12th, 2008 at 09:12pm
I see it as if someone is writing to his mother from hell after dying in a war, if such a thing were possible. The song sounds like its a whole letter to his mother about how he could have been better and what happend to him before his death. Then in the part where Liza Minnelli sings , I see it as if he could hear his mother but then fires back at her with what he has done once again. At the end of the song he is just admitting to his mother that in the end "We're damned after all."
mcrsavelife
Killjoy
mcrsavelife
July 14th, 2008 at 12:42pm
mcrfreak21:
Mud:
I think this song is about the feelings of hopelessness surrounding war. Hence, "Mama, we're all gonna die. Stop asking me questions, I'd hate to see you cry."

i completely agree with you!

i agree too
emolove4everurs
Joining The Black Parade
emolove4everurs
July 15th, 2008 at 01:31pm
ok so my opinion is that mama is bout war but the image of war is jus a metaphor for wat he's goin through that's wat i think
xDarkenxUrxClothesx
Fabulous Killjoy
xDarkenxUrxClothesx
July 16th, 2008 at 10:55pm
I agree about the war part. I think the whole song is like a soldier in war's letter to his mom. But, instead of sugar-coating it, like a soldier would normally do, he's telling her straightfoward "Mama, we're all gonna die."
xXtWiStEdXx
Jazz Hands
xXtWiStEdXx
July 18th, 2008 at 12:29pm
I think it's about someone going into like the last battle and there's no hope left. When they say 'we're all full of lies' I think it means they're always saying "we'll be okay!" when they really aren't.
Imnotokay4411
Killjoy
Imnotokay4411
July 22nd, 2008 at 10:27pm
I dont know
Imnotokay4411
Killjoy
Imnotokay4411
July 22nd, 2008 at 10:37pm
I believe its about a drug addiction or a veteran. Like someone who was in war but its over now and he still believes its going on and he's in it and all the other people will go to hell with him cuz they're in a war.
teenagers.
Jazz Hands
teenagers.
July 31st, 2008 at 04:37pm
i think it is as simple as saying that we all should go to hell for sinning.
valiumobsequy
Awake and Unafraid
valiumobsequy
August 6th, 2008 at 08:19pm
I luv this song! i think it's about a son who has killed (with this fuck of a gun0 and his mother is ashamed of him
KatieeWay
Killjoy
KatieeWay
August 8th, 2008 at 11:48pm
i agree about the war thing
because they do mentian war alot in this song
and how the war wouldnt have happened if he was a girl
"now mother what the war did to my legs and to my tounge."
KatieeWay
Killjoy
KatieeWay
KatieeWay
Killjoy
KatieeWay
elenaleerush
Killjoy
elenaleerush
August 16th, 2008 at 07:47pm
After having analised the words, sounds and possible hidden meanings in this song i have come the conclusion that it talks about a soildier in a trench of the first world war
To support my idea i gathered a handfull of clues: the noises at the beginning of the song, clearly it represents artillery fire
the letter thing, sending letters was the favourite passtime for soldiers in ww1
the "stop asking cry" phrase, letters were controlled very strictly and very often were scrapped because of the information they contained.
"made us famous" in the various conturies involved in the war the newspapers always spoke of the heroic heros fighting for freedom, completely ignoring their real situation.
"full of lies" propaganda, but this was a common thing in any war really.
"meant for the flies" hundreds of thousands of soldiers were left on the battlefield to rot, attracting insects and small animals to feast on the dead bodies.
"well mother tongue" the phisical and mental damage done by the war.
"baby girl" women wern't sent to war.
infection amputate" amputation was the only real thing medics could do to get rid of an infection and was a VERY common thing.
"for what own" still thinking on this one. its either an anonimous sign in a cemitary or a room in a mad house (since the war caused thousands of men to lose their mind due to the incredible stress).
"its really smell" when things were calm the situation might become confortable enough, everyone had food and somewhere to sleep whilst the smell was always bad because they had no toilets, only a ditch where to do what they had to and the smell of the dead started to be quite strong.
"brothers in arms" the friends that die in war.

As you can see all the various clues and hints all point to the same direction, the horrors of ww1.
MCR Lover 4ever
Killjoy
MCR Lover 4ever
August 19th, 2008 at 01:10pm
Here, The Patient is writing a final letter to his estranged mother. The Patient is very angry in this song, and writes many startling things to his mother in the letter such as, "Mama, we all go to hell", "Mama, we're all gonna die", and "Mama, we're meant for the flies, and right now they're building a coffin your size". It's apparent their relationship is sour, especially when compared to the one he had with his father. It seems that the cause of their negative relationship was a war ( "what the war did to my legs and to my tongue" ) all men, including The Patient, were drafted into it ( "You should have raised a baby girl" ). He acknowledges that he "could have been a better son". The war obviously changed him and she noticed ( "You ain't no son of mine" ). His mother responds to him, telling him that if he would express his love for her more often she would forgive him ( "And if you would call me your sweetheart, I'd maybe then sing you a song" ). However The Patient feels that if she knew of the kinds of things he did during the war, she would never consider loving him again ( "But the shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun, You would cry out your eyes all along" ).
SabertoothShay
Killjoy
SabertoothShay
August 23rd, 2008 at 05:20pm
i think its about a son and a mother, who already had a bad relationship.....and now she wants him now that hes off to war.
sweet_nightmare
Killjoy
sweet_nightmare
September 6th, 2008 at 04:21pm
Mosty alive:
Our Avenged Jules:
It's about war. A solidier in war, and like the above said, also a metaphor for how Gerard was feeling about things.
Also, I'm certain it relates quite well to the Atomic Bombs in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, back in World War Two.
If you have the Ltd. Edition, in the booklet, where the lyrics are for 'Mama', there's a picture of the mushroom cloud, which is obviously the effect of an atom bomb.

I have seen the mushroom cloud. I believe it is like a letter from the trenches.
"Mama we all go to hell." They have killed. Which is a sin. So i guess the person is guilty. And his parents (Or mother most likely) is worried because he is in the war to begin with.

I agree. When I heard the song I first thought of the inevitable. The soldiers are going to die and when they do die they're going to hell and there's really nothing they can do about it. That once they signed up for the war it was written in stone for all of this to happen i.e. killing people, dieing and going to hell.
Spirit of Jazz.
Motor Baby
Spirit of Jazz.
September 18th, 2008 at 06:32pm
my mom (being my teacher, because i'm homeschooled) is letting me figure out lyrics instead of contemplating poetry... so i did mama for one of them. here goes.
ok this is going to be like uberrrrr long so brace yourselves. i'm doing it in small font so it doesn't eat the entire page. this is just my interpritation, don't take anything personally please.
Mama we all go to hell.
Mama we all go to hell.
I'm writing this letter and wishing you well.
Mama we all go to hell.
Here he (the patient??) is realizing that he might be going to hell and is writing his mother on the matter.

Mama we're all gonna die.
Stop asking me questions, I hate to see you cry.
Maybe he is telling his mother what he thinks is going to happen. He doesn’t want to see her cry, so he tells her to stop asking questions.

And when we go don't blame us, yeah,
We let the fire just bathe us, yeah,
You made us sound so famous
We'll never let you go.
And when you go don't return to me my love.

Here he is telling her to not blame him at the fact that he’s going to hell, and that he is just going to give in and “let the fire just bathe” him. Possibly his mother praised him on going off to war and is now going to regret it. He maybe also doesn’t want her to meet the same fate hence, “return to me my love”.

Mama we're all full of lies.
Mama we're meant for the flies.
And right now they're building a coffin your size.
Mama we're all full of lies.

This could be a statement about the government. Maybe he is angry because his letters might be censored and that is making his letters lies. “We’re meant for the flies” could be a continuation of the thought. “and right now…” could be saying that he has excepted the fact that he’s going to die and now wants to take his mother down with him for encouraging him to join the army.

Well mother what the war did to my legs and to my tongue,
You shoulda raised a baby girl
I shoulda been a better son
If you could counter the infection they can amputate at once
You should've been, I could've been a better son.
It might be saying he acquired a sailors tongue and an injured leg from the war. He is saying to his mother that if she had raised a girl, she wouldn’t be going through this right now. He then takes back a lot of what he has said in the song by saying he should have been a better son. He maybe then says that if only she was there, she could have countered the infection on his leg, and then he could lose his leg without much pain, but she is not there, so he has to deal with it.
And when we go don't blame us, yeah,
We let the fire just bathe us yeah,
You made us all so famous,
We'll never let you go.
*see above*

She said you ain't no son of mine.
For what you've done there
Gonna find a place for you
And just you mind your manners when you go.

His mother just can’t believe what he has done and doesn’t think she raised him to do such things.

And when you go don't return to me my love,
That's right.

Mama we all go to hell,
Mama we all go to hell,
It's really quite pleasant except for the smell,
Mama we all go to hell.

He might be mocking hell, saying “it’s not too bad, except for the smell!”

Mama, Mama, Mama, ohhhh.
Mama, Mama, Mama.

Liza: and if you would call me your sweetheart, I'd maybe then sing you a song

This could be his mother speaking, or maybe mother war also, but it’s hard to tell. If its his (the patients?) mother, she could be saying that if he would call her his sweetheart, she would sing him a song, forgiving him for what he’s done. But is its mother war talking, it could be that maybe mother war is also in hell and is welcoming the patient to hell.

Gerard: But the shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun,
You will cry your eyes out all along.

Now he explains what this song is really about, saying that if she only knew what he had done, she would cry her eyes out.

We're damned after all.
Through fortune and fame we fall.
And if you can stay then I'll show you the way
And straight from the ashes you crawl.

Here he could be saying he knew he was going to go to hell from the point he joined the army, on. And even though they get lots of appreciation and fame and fortune, they still end up dying, reguardless of what they’ve done. He might also be saying again that only if she were there, maybe they could find a way out of hell.

We all carry on
When our brothers in arms are gone
So raise your glass high for tomorrow we die
And return from the ashes you fall

Now he is saying that they’ll all carry on once they’re in hell. Maybe they’re having a celebration, hence “raise your glass high for tomorrow we die”. He says that they return from the ashes they came from in the end.
*maniacal laughter* A Surprise party- For ME?? You shouldn’t have……
Now he is in hell and (mother war) held a surprise party for him… They shouldn’t have…..
MychemicalRomance33
Killjoy
MychemicalRomance33
September 27th, 2008 at 06:41pm
mcrfreak21:
Mud:
I think this song is about the feelings of hopelessness surrounding war. Hence, "Mama, we're all gonna die. Stop asking me questions, I'd hate to see you cry."

i completely agree with you!
OMG! YOU people are all wrong!!!!!
Its about these five sons and they are in war writing letters to there mother, the mother Is really mean and hates all her sons and she prefers five daughters because then they won't go to war. Anyways the Mother sends questions In her letters and saying to them that she hates them and doesn't want to see them no more. Later on the five sons don't send her letters no more. They go to battle and they all get killed In war from explosions and bombs In war and there body is all burnt and there all dead. Later on the Mother finds out there all dead and cries because she really loved them after when she said to them that she hated them. After the song Is don the Mother goes crazy and Insane and ripping up her clothes and eats no food.. She later dies of starvation and joins the Black Parade witha gas mask to breath and hide her sad face. She also dated the Patient who died of cancer that joined the Black parade too.
MychemicalRomance33
Killjoy
MychemicalRomance33
September 27th, 2008 at 06:44pm
OMG! YOU people are all wrong!!!!!
Its about these five sons and they are in war writing letters to there mother, the mother Is really mean and hates all her sons and she prefers five daughters because then they won't go to war. Anyways the Mother sends questions In her letters and saying to them that she hates them and doesn't want to see them no more. Later on the five sons don't send her letters no more. They go to battle and they all get killed In war from explosions and bombs In war and there body is all burnt and there all dead. Later on the Mother finds out there all dead and cries because she really loved them after when she said to them that she hated them. After the song Is don the Mother goes crazy and Insane and ripping up her clothes and eats no food.. She later dies of starvation and joins the Black Parade witha gas mask to breath and hide her sad face. She also dated the Patient who died of cancer that joined the Black parade too.
lamaine13_MCR
Killjoy
lamaine13_MCR
September 27th, 2008 at 10:20pm
this song is about motherwar thats all i know................