Don't have an account? Create one!

Mama

AuthorMessage
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
October 11th, 2008 at 09:24pm
live.love.burn.die:
Here, The Patient is writing a final letter to his estranged mother. The Patient is very angry in this song, and writes many startling things to his mother in the letter such as, "Mama, we all go to hell", "Mama, we're all gonna die", and "Mama, we're meant for the flies, and right now they're building a coffin your size". It's apparent their relationship is sour, especially when compared to the one he had with his father. It seems that the cause of their negative relationship was a war ( "what the war did to my legs and to my tongue" ) all men, including The Patient, were drafted into it ( "You should have raised a baby girl" ). He acknowledges that he "could have been a better son". The war obviously changed him and she noticed ( "You ain't no son of mine" ). His mother responds to him, telling him that if he would express his love for her more often she would forgive him ( "And if you would call me your sweetheart, I'd maybe then sing you a song" ). However The Patient feels that if she knew of the kinds of things he did during the war, she would never consider loving him again ( "But the shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun, You would cry out your eyes all along" ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_%28My_Chemical_Romance_song%29

I Agree with thid I think Its a Bout parents of soliders aswell as the patients parents
mikey way.
Jazz Hands
mikey way.
October 22nd, 2008 at 01:42pm
i also think it is about someone at war and just warning her about some things and preparing her if the boy doesnt come back.
xXxEarlySunsetsxXx
Killjoy
xXxEarlySunsetsxXx
November 16th, 2008 at 06:21am
When I first heard it I thought of a man writing back home to his mother, telling her war was horrible and he hated himself, for killing innocent people that were just doing there job- thus we all go to hell.
Rachi222
Killjoy
Rachi222
November 17th, 2008 at 01:54am
I Think It Is About Him Being At War And Lately He Has Been Sending Letters To His Mum And She Sed She Was Dying.

This May Be Wrong Be Thats My Opinion.
Many Thanx Rachi222
RedXFullXMoon
Killjoy
RedXFullXMoon
December 5th, 2008 at 09:28am
Love, war, and death seem aren't separated in this song theme. He wrote a letter to his beloved mother. He said something, obviously, regret of his fault in the past. Then, WW called him and he'd never got love from his mother --- When we go don't return to me my love, love like bad thing to him and he wanted to his mother to raised a baby girl, coz he felt it's the better way he could do during the war. Preparation the die of war can we read in "So raise your glass high for tomorrow we die from the ashes you call". Wow, long short story to tell you. But, I'm happy takin part of this forum.

Love Is hurtful thing…. As time goes by, I realize that love doesn’t exist anymore!
hellscutie
Killjoy
hellscutie
December 7th, 2008 at 09:18am
I think the song is about a man (The patient) who went to war and what he saw made him question everything and what he did made him think he is doomed and going to hell, along with his family. So he writes a letter telling his mother all this and when she tries to comfort him, he goes mad and tells her what he really thinks. Which makes her so sad seeing what her son has become.
clockworkfan
Killjoy
clockworkfan
December 9th, 2008 at 01:17pm
i think its about is a guy at war and he's writing a letter to his mom and he thinks he's going to hell b/c he's killed so many people.
believing.
Salute You in Your Grave
believing.
December 16th, 2008 at 12:39pm
In my opinion, the song is a follow-up to 'Ghost Of You', with the whole WW1 thing going on.

The young man, or the son, is drafted for war one day and so he leaves. After a long time, he feels a sense of hopelessness and despair. He's given up hope of ever coming back.

So, he writes a letter to his mother, a final letter of sorts. He tells her that he's accepted his eventual death in the war, and she needn't cry about it. Startling things go in that letter, that shock his mother.

They obviously had a bad relationship, and when the son was drafted, the war changed him. He wasn't the son she knew anymore. She responds to the letter, saying that if he'd even acknowledged her love for him, she'd have forgiven him. However the son feels that if she knew of the things he did during the war, she would never consider loving him again.

In the end, the son knows, when he dies, he dies and they're all just damned forever. And nothing will change that. Because they all go to hell.

~

And even the album cover had hints to the Hiroshima bombings; the mushroom cloud indicates an atomic bomb. Mainly, the song points to WW1, where on the album cover, Liza Minelli is seen as 'Mother War', and is wearing a gas mask, one reminiscent of the time period when WW1 commenced.

Okay, my rambling has taken a toll. I'm stopping here.
luvin_gerard_way
Killjoy
luvin_gerard_way
February 10th, 2009 at 07:00am
i think the song Mama is about a son doing bad things - going to war and coming back a different person after seeing all that death and hurt
its about a son trying to say sorry for being a live and that his mum should have had a baby girl in stead cos it would of caused less hurt and pain

i kinda reminds me of me n my mum except with us its about a girls wishing she was never born n putting my mum through hurt but never meaning to n she doesn't no why she does it Sad
princess T
Killjoy
princess T
February 18th, 2009 at 11:31am
its about them sayin when we break up dont blame it on them because we made them famous and that hes thanking his family, friends and fans for supportin them.
princess T
Killjoy
princess T
February 18th, 2009 at 11:33am
hey the lyrics you wrote at the bottom ov your quote are fall out boy i just hope u know that
princess T
Killjoy
princess T
February 18th, 2009 at 11:34am
hey the lyrics you wrote at the bottom ov your quote are fall out boy i just hope u know that

And I saw God cry in the reflection of my enemies...
And all the lovers with no time for me...
And all of the mothers raise their babies...
Stay away from me...
And pray they don't grow up to be me..
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
February 19th, 2009 at 01:15pm
ImagineTheStars:

And even the album cover had hints to the Hiroshima bombings; the mushroom cloud indicates an atomic bomb.

Isn't that the Teenagers cover? Or am I missing something?
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
February 27th, 2009 at 11:04pm
I have primarily been looking at the verse (we all go to hell) and I think it is implying that all soldiers that fight without a second thought are truly destined to go to hell. After all they are out killing so many people. I also assume like what many of others were saying, that this song is really a letter being written to his mother to talk about what he is doing. His mom is trying to comfort him and make him believe he still is a good person, yet he is openly denying her claim.
lucky-13
Killjoy
lucky-13
March 16th, 2009 at 03:57pm
i know this song has a figurative meaning but the "You should've raised a baby girl,I should've been a better son" part has kind of a literal meaning for me, i was adopted by my granparents (i'm a girl by the way) but my younger brother wasn't, i know that it was because my mother was not old enough to raise my but some times i wonder....
Kailey_kills
Killjoy
Kailey_kills
May 12th, 2009 at 07:56pm
this song is about a son writing to his mother while hes in war.telling her that their all going to hell for all the people they killed.hes also telling her he wish he could have been a better son.
esom316
Killjoy
esom316
May 18th, 2009 at 11:44pm
i think that the song is about a man who's mother treated him like shit so he went to war to die. and just before he went out to battle he wrote his mother and said you made me do this - "and when we go don't blame us. . . you made us oh so famous." Then he finally did it, and he and all his friends knew they would die - "We're damned after all, through fortune and flame we fall . . . so raise your glass high for tomorrow we die and return from the ashes you call."
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
May 22nd, 2009 at 06:25am
Okay so I know this isn't exactly what the song is about but it's what it reminds me of.
My grandparents were evacuated during WW2, along with their parents. When I was very young I met my great grandmother. When she was a child she was evacuated during WW1 and during WW2 she went with my grandmother and her siblings. When my mum was growing up she was told alot of stories by her grandmother about what the war was like, and what happened. So as I've grown up my mum has always told me about these things, she cooks like the people who lived on rations did because thats how she was taught to. So I've always been fairly interested in the wars and in social history. When I was little me and my brother used to play games where we'd pretend to be child evacuee's.
So when I listen to mama I think more about the children who moved to the countryside to get away from the major cities. (Has anyone either seen the film or read the book Goodnight Mr Tom? You'll probably get a better insight to this, and its really good) it makes me think of the letters children would write to their mums because most of the time their fathers were away fighting, and how some children were practically treated like slaves, and some never returned home.
Black Dawn
Killjoy
Black Dawn
August 13th, 2009 at 05:29pm
i think its about a man writing a letter to his mother, and him possibly saying that he is dying and that hes going to hell and him wishing her well while hes gone, then saying actually no we're all going to die and she doesnt know how, and hes asking her to "stop asking me questions", and then saying dont blame us for everything, then saying she helped them a lot and he will never let her go, and that we lie about everything or that he regrets the lies and saying we're meant for the flies and we dont deserve anything. and that when she raised him she was useless and it would have been better if he was a girl, and how she ignored him and said he wasnt her son, and he had no manners and deserves to go somewhre bad.
and maybe if she loved him he would help her ( sing her a song), but why would she because of all the things hes done, and through everything we fall and when our friends are gone we'll raise our glasses together and you will return.
Basically he is angry with his mother in this song i think
BringMeRomancexx
Killjoy
BringMeRomancexx
December 31st, 2009 at 12:05pm
Is it just me, or is everyone lost?

I think the reason Liza Minelli is "Mother War" is 'cause it has a rather political point of view.
With the "I"-person is America and Mother War is.. well, war itself.

This is maybe the only way I can find sense in; "You made us oh so famous"
Cause America gained popularity through what? Yeah, war.
And America could have been a better son, 'cause they only think about war.
And when this song was made, America were in war and Bush was ruling, right?
So there, my point of view on Mama.