Don't have an account? Create one!

Mama

AuthorMessage
Bella-Muerte
Killjoy
Bella-Muerte
November 22nd, 2006 at 02:02am
to me it sonds like a war song like every one else says but that he regrets his situation and thinks his mother is disiponted with him
KaylaDanielle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
KaylaDanielle
November 22nd, 2006 at 11:42pm
To me, in the song he is talking to his mother, and saying that "You should have raised a baby girl, I could have been a better son."

It sounds like he is saying that he is sorry to her because he knows that the things he did really worried her, but thats just what i think
sorta kinda.
Salute You in Your Grave
sorta kinda.
November 23rd, 2006 at 01:32am
I think it might be about war....
Fluffy Bunny of Doom
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Fluffy Bunny of Doom
November 24th, 2006 at 12:47am
i think its about being at war...hence the reason 'Mother War'
xoxo...GossipGirl
Thinking Happy Thoughts
xoxo...GossipGirl
November 24th, 2006 at 12:02pm
Can someone post the lyrics up? I dont have the cd yet. Actually, i'll go google it...
Mother War
Banned
Mother War
November 24th, 2006 at 06:38pm
I agree with everyone that this song is about war and also damnation (am i usuing the word right?)
how they have killed in battle and they beleive they are going to hell;[mama, we all go to hell] & [but there's shit that i've done with this fuck of a gun]
i guess he feels a need to write out his pain in a form of a letter. Maybe he feels he shouldnt have been in the war [i could have been a better son] or maybe he should not have killed.
I must admit; i suck at explaining. It sounds better in my head XD
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
November 30th, 2006 at 02:06pm
Has anyone read the novel or seen the film version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque? This song immediately reminded me of it: the youth of the soldiers (a whole school class in their final year), their enthusiasm about fighting in the War (WW I actually), and the final horror that awaited them.

Hm, and Mother War has similarities with “Mother Courage and her children” from Brecht: the mother who is losing all of her children in the same war she wants as a canteen woman of the army to make her profit from.
The music is really similar to Kurt Weill’s compositions who has worked with Brecht on his musical theatre plays.

In the end I think the song can work on both levels – personally or metaphorically.
go_screw_a_whale
Killjoy
go_screw_a_whale
November 30th, 2006 at 02:29pm
OKay so. I am the kind of person that can both develope my own meaning to a song and firmly belive in the band's meaning and make it seem like they "live off eachother" If you are getting what I am saying.
Basically, I think this song is Gerard's feeling on War in general. He's definatly anti-war anti-draft hence "You should've raised a baby girl!" What I get from that part of the song is that his mother raised all boys and maybe they all got drafted, and have been killed save for the character.
I believe, basically, this song is anti-war, which is one of the main reasons I love it. When I sing along or dance or whatever to it {hah Imma nerdd} I just feel invincible and..I don't know.
This is my favorite track.
xXDemolitionxLoserXx
Killjoy
xXDemolitionxLoserXx
December 18th, 2006 at 11:41pm
i think this song is based off of a person who left someone they love very much for the war. I dont think it really has to do with a mother, but just... possibly leaving someone when they really dont want you to go.
Blue_Demon
Motor Baby
Blue_Demon
December 19th, 2006 at 10:59am
I think it's more to do with a mother-son relationship, and how they never really bonded; the Patient now probably resents his mother in somes ways, and in other's he wishes he was closer to her.
Burning Friend
Banned
Burning Friend
December 21st, 2006 at 09:35am
I think it's about a character the patient meets in the black parade.
The character died in war and is writing a letter to his mother
Emo Dirtbag
Killjoy
Emo Dirtbag
December 21st, 2006 at 12:41pm
i think Mama is about this dude that has sined and is mum dose not what to talk to him and he is just telling her what his point is
IstoleGeesEyeliner
Killjoy
IstoleGeesEyeliner
December 22nd, 2006 at 05:00am
i think its about gerard being in the war and hes writing a letter to his mother "im writing this letter and wishing you well"
and hes gettin pissed off with the world in edgeways(is that word right) correct me if im wrong its basically about the war!!!!!!!
violent_romance
Killjoy
violent_romance
December 24th, 2006 at 04:13am
i think its about a war...
Orgasmic.Poptart
Fabulous Killjoy
Orgasmic.Poptart
December 25th, 2006 at 02:16am
I dunno... I got this feel of Mafia from it.

The war theory makes more sense, though, now that I think about it.
Total Phreek
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Total Phreek
December 25th, 2006 at 05:29pm
I thought it was about a person who was in a war situation and was probably about to die so he was writing a letter back home to his mother to say goodbye in his own way.
mymikeyromance
Killjoy
mymikeyromance
December 26th, 2006 at 08:45am
i think the song is basically about war and that there's nothing to be gained through it, no problems would be solved by war. it just causes destruction and death to people caught in it. mother war cries at the very end of the song because she sees her kids (the people who fought in the war and people were caught in it) die. Crying or Very sad
zombie jamboree.
Salute You in Your Grave
zombie jamboree.
December 26th, 2006 at 01:06pm
live.love.burn.die:
Here, The Patient is writing a final letter to his estranged mother. The Patient is very angry in this song, and writes many startling things to his mother in the letter such as, "Mama, we all go to hell", "Mama, we're all gonna die", and "Mama, we're meant for the flies, and right now they're building a coffin your size". It's apparent their relationship is sour, especially when compared to the one he had with his father. It seems that the cause of their negative relationship was a war ( "what the war did to my legs and to my tongue" ) all men, including The Patient, were drafted into it ( "You should have raised a baby girl" ). He acknowledges that he "could have been a better son". The war obviously changed him and she noticed ( "You ain't no son of mine" ). His mother responds to him, telling him that if he would express his love for her more often she would forgive him ( "And if you would call me your sweetheart, I'd maybe then sing you a song" ). However The Patient feels that if she knew of the kinds of things he did during the war, she would never consider loving him again ( "But the shit that I've done with this fuck of a gun, You would cry out your eyes all along" ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mama_%28My_Chemical_Romance_song%29

I did this song for part of my English assessment on war poetry and I came up with pretty much the same explaination as you gave for it. I get a feeling the speaker feels a lot of resentement toward his mother and I think maybe she was the one who sent him to war when he didn't want to go, so he is blaming her for his death.
Face_Down
Killjoy
Face_Down
December 26th, 2006 at 10:25pm
some one might have already said it but Fankie's mom and Gerard's and mikey's mom and dad..... and does any one know who Cheech Iero is ????
Awake And Unafraid
Killjoy
Awake And Unafraid
December 27th, 2006 at 08:19am
I saw this on songmeanings.net and really agreed with it so here goes. Bassically the song is sung by people the patient met who were soilders. The soilders were writing letters to their mothers. one said they're all going to hell for killing the other boys in the war and one says they're all full of lies. another gets his leg ampitated rather painfully and another says his mother should have had a daughter because girls can't kill people at war (or atleast not in this war, which is likely world war 2), and that he should have been a better son. one mother disowns her son for the killing. and they all say they're going to hell and know they're going to die in battle and are probably getting drunk. "so raise your glass high, for tommorow we die" (kind of like ghost of you video). and bassically the patient should be grateful that hes dieing in hospital and not on the battlefeild like these men. This is supported because on some of tbp t shirts there are outlines of soilders.

maybe its wrong and about the patient writing a letter like someone said above. they bassically come to the same things but about different people.