Don't have an account? Create one!

Mama

AuthorMessage
silverrain
Thinking Happy Thoughts
silverrain
January 4th, 2007 at 04:42pm
truthofcontroversy:
The other thing too is that I read that Gerard said that System of Down influnced the band a little on this record and I think it was this song he is talking about.

System of a Down?! I really don't get it why one should listen to them. Their singing bugs me...well, it's a matter of taste, I guess...
samthefallen
Killjoy
samthefallen
January 5th, 2007 at 03:52pm
i think the song is talking about mother war. it just fits the songs words
OurLadyofSorrows4977
Killjoy
OurLadyofSorrows4977
January 5th, 2007 at 08:51pm
This may have already been said, but I think that Mama is about a son telling his Mama that he's going to hell and she should've raised a baby girl to go to heaven.
Sweet Revenge.
Awake and Unafraid
Sweet Revenge.
January 6th, 2007 at 10:04pm
mi take is this song is about mothers having to send thier sons off to war bcause years ago girls didnt hav to go to war
imeanthis_4ever
Killjoy
imeanthis_4ever
January 6th, 2007 at 11:23pm
i think this must be one of the hardest MCR songs to interpret. i'm not sure if the person writing the letter to his mom is the patient or someone he meets while in the black parade. well, whoever it is, the person must think he's going to die and go to hell for all the killing he's done in the war.

i think he might have been drafted because it says "And when we go don't blame us" and "You should have raised a baby girl " since girls couldn't go to war.

since most of the war says "we" or "us" i think that whoever is writing the letter had brothers in the war too.

from "'You ain't no son of mine" and "when you go don't return to me my love ", it seems that the guy's relationship with his mom was ruined because of the war, which also says that war tears apart families or something.

the line that confuses me the most is "And right now they're building a coffin your size." it's not exactly what you would say to your mom. maybe it he thinks she'll die of a heart attack when she finds out her sons have died? or maybe it was said out of anger that he wishes his mom was dead?

but "I should have been a better son" makes the letter seem like an apology too.

does anyone know what "if you can say then I'll show you the way to return from the ashes you call" and "You made us oh so famous" means?
Cheap Champagne
Motor Baby
Cheap Champagne
January 7th, 2007 at 10:37am
I think it's about war and a soilder who writes to his mother.
Balthazar
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Balthazar
January 7th, 2007 at 01:21pm
He sounds like if hes mocking her for raising him like that and "what do you expect of me" sorta of attitude he has. also the mother doesn't sound like if she likes him alot.
OurLadyofSorrows4977
Killjoy
OurLadyofSorrows4977
January 7th, 2007 at 05:02pm
I do too think this song could be hard to interpret but only for some ppl.
notetoself.
Killjoy
notetoself.
January 7th, 2007 at 08:45pm
i think that he is at war and he's writing his mom a letter but their relation ship isint that good. but really it could mean that the war he is at, is the war between him and his mother.
givingupismyoption
Joining The Black Parade
givingupismyoption
January 8th, 2007 at 09:27pm
Okay, I completely agree with I LOVE FRANKIE

I cant quote I haven't learned to do that yet. but.....................

I think this is a battle the patient is having in his mind and how his mother is so estranged to him! i also think when it says mama, it COULD MAYBE NOT SURE be introducing mother war to lyrics, if your getting what im saying! Its all a big metaphor refering to the patients cancer and him dieing not wanting his mother to worry! Again it might be I LOVE FRANKIE's theory that its introducing Mother War! Mama, and its a war theme! SOrry Im rambling again! Thats my theory though!
mbgfr_278
Fabulous Killjoy
mbgfr_278
January 9th, 2007 at 03:54am
ugh im gonna read it from that limited edition box thingo ..

well its something to do with motherwar lol gerard says Liza Minnelli was the only voice that could have portrayed with mother war..

Ray says we also tried to be very cinematic with this one , having different sections conjure up images of war and death .

thats all i could find but this song is alot about Mother war and to give a war image to this song.
OurLadyofSorrows4977
Killjoy
OurLadyofSorrows4977
January 10th, 2007 at 09:01pm
I was talking to one of my friends and we both came up with the idea that this is actually the patient mocking his mother.
Magster
Fabulous Killjoy
Magster
January 18th, 2007 at 08:19am
I love this song just now! "Mama, we all gonna die" It's so true and it gives me a thought about "Live your life it's like your last day every day! We all gonna die sometime."
MetalliDeth
Killjoy
MetalliDeth
January 19th, 2007 at 01:52pm
This song is definitely about war and how it has affected him. But.....The Patient is dying of cancer. Where does war fit into this? I think Mama is just one of those songs that were on Three Cheers that was written and used, but yet had no direct meaning to the concept of the album.
Gerardfanatic123
Killjoy
Gerardfanatic123
January 20th, 2007 at 09:12pm
maybe ur right my thinking of the song is about going to hell. u know the first part " mama we all go to hell , mama we all go to hell im writing this letter and wishing u well" so i think this about going to hell
shitthatwascyanide
Salute You in Your Grave
shitthatwascyanide
January 28th, 2007 at 12:20pm
did anyone else pick up the reference to Lord of the Flies? it's in the second verse. (Mama we're meant for the flies)

at least i'm pretty sure it refers to LOTF because the song is about war, which is the loss of innocence/humanity. LOTF is about the loss of innocence/humanity.

good book. great song. so yeah.
blackaisten
Motor Baby
blackaisten
January 28th, 2007 at 12:31pm
I think it's about this son who goes in war, killes a lot of persons, and then his mother starts crying.. Doesn't it makes sence?!
Tragic.
Banned
Tragic.
January 28th, 2007 at 04:25pm
Well then,
I guess you can sum up this song in one word?
mother war.
PShortie
Killjoy
PShortie
January 29th, 2007 at 01:59pm
I don't know if this has been said yet, but i agree its about War.
"Mama, we all go to hell" Is probally refering to how everyone fighting at war will go to hell as they are killing thousands of people in battle.
*mcr girl*
Fabulous Killjoy
*mcr girl*
January 29th, 2007 at 07:21pm
I agree with almost everyone else i think its about war even tho i really didnt get it til i listened 2 it this past time