Don't have an account? Create one!

Mama

AuthorMessage
Gerard_LoverXx
Killjoy
Gerard_LoverXx
March 9th, 2007 at 03:56pm
My Chemical Romance do so many war songs. Not to say The Black Parade is about war, but the song certainly points to a war theme, not to mention that Gerard & Mikey's parents and Frank's parents sing the song with them, so in musta been some important shit to the band...
and Liza Minelli does the vocals for "Mother War"...
now, i think that this song is about when the patient is dying, he is reflecting back on the war he was in, and how much he missed his mother during the war period. The "letters" that gerard talks about is probably the letters that the patient was writing to his mother during the war. When gerard reffers to her as "crying", my interpretation is that she was asking questions about what was happening, and that she feared for the life of her son, but he said to stop asking questions cause' he doesnt want to see her cry.
Now, Mother War is confusing to me, but i think its a spirit present on the battlefield that creeps up on living people, and kills them, whether it be from a bullet, or something like that. Mother War is a metaphor for something else, of course, but im not exaclt sure what...
americanidiot
Fabulous Killjoy
americanidiot
March 9th, 2007 at 06:09pm
I agree w/ every body else, this song is about a war that peaple get drafted into.

But, I think when he says 'Mama, we all go to hell' he is reffering to the saying, 'War is hell' so accualy he's saying 'Mama we all go to war'.

And by 'we' I think he means him & his brothers('our brothers in arms') & all of the peaple he knows That keep coming to the war w/ him.

I think him & some peaple he know decide to run away. Well the army thinks they're dead so they send his mother a letter saying something about that and they make something up about how he dies('Mama, we're all full of lies).

When he arrives home his mother asks him about the war. Now, my grandpa and uncle were in a war and when we ask about it they only tell two stories, the one were Uncle Allen got shot in the eye, and the one were they got lost driving the tank. So I'm thinking he only tells a few story about war,('what the war did to my legs and to my toung')

Well, his mother wont stop asking Q's and he breaks down and tells her another story.

Upon hearing this story, his mother kicks him out, telling him when they find him they will eather jail him or kill him for running away.('you aint no son of mine...)

Then she gets all motherly and tells him if he goes to jail he needs to behave so that maby he'll get out early. but she also tells him never to come back.(mind your manners when you go)

And thats were the whole 'were damned after all' part comes in.

ok, that was confusing but thats what it sounds like to me
Muted Scream
Fabulous Killjoy
Muted Scream
March 11th, 2007 at 01:44am
hmm.. okay i've read some of your ideas and interpretations, and it has cleaned out the speculations i recently had. i really like the "we all go to war" motif. I understand LIza Minelli lost some kids to war...i just wondering if she actually cried at the end of the song...cause you can clearly hear her weeping.
wtf
Killjoy
wtf
March 11th, 2007 at 11:56am
Could it possibly be about the patient's shaky relationship with his mother, perhaps after he went to war and left her? I don't know, but it is cleary about war seeing as Gerard states:

"Oh, mother, what the war did to my legs & to my tongue"

Or maybe at one point, The Patient betrayed his mother?

?
solong_goodnight
Killjoy
solong_goodnight
March 12th, 2007 at 09:46pm
Maybe someone's already said this, I don't have time to read all seven pages! In the credits of the CD, it says that Liza Minelli is the voice of Mother War in "Mama". I think it's a critique on the horrors of war. Gerard sings about building her a coffin, maybe symbolizing a desire to bury war for good.
d'say
Killjoy
d'say
March 13th, 2007 at 06:38pm
i think the song is pretty basic in understanding it. i think its about losig somone you love and the recovery. its sad.its ment to be.the whole album conects to each other every song has the same theme, the patient his life and his death the song mama im geussig is about the effects he had on others durig his passing ad its pressived through the scene of war.
bound and gagged
Bulletproof Heart
bound and gagged
March 14th, 2007 at 09:00am
solong_goodnight:
Maybe someone's already said this, I don't have time to read all seven pages! In the credits of the CD, it says that Liza Minelli is the voice of Mother War in "Mama". I think it's a critique on the horrors of war. Gerard sings about building her a coffin, maybe symbolizing a desire to bury war for good.
I actually agree with that
technicolor.
Demolition Lover
technicolor.
March 14th, 2007 at 04:48pm
at the beginning of the song it sounds like theres bombs going off idk thats what i hear at least.

so its basically about war. i think he did something like killed someone with a gun and he feels bad about it. now hes thinks hes going to hell.
Zombiefied
Fabulous Killjoy
Zombiefied
March 14th, 2007 at 05:00pm
I know not everyone has it but all the song meanings are in the limited edition Very Happy
Adorkable.
Motor Baby
Adorkable.
March 15th, 2007 at 11:20am
UGH! NO FAIRS...Very Happy
Oh well, some people just have to figure 'em out on their own....Sad

Anyway...well yeah the song's definitely about war...seeing as there's actually a line where he says:

"Well Mother what the war did to my legs & to my tongue"
Zombiefied
Fabulous Killjoy
Zombiefied
March 15th, 2007 at 01:22pm
if i can be bothered =]
I'll check the meaning out and write it out =]
Its from Frank and Rays point of view =]]
Adorkable.
Motor Baby
Adorkable.
March 15th, 2007 at 07:59pm
darn it I want the limeted edition soooo bad!

But I think it would be nice to know how the band percieves their song, and how it differs from a fan's perception.
withered waste
Killjoy
withered waste
March 16th, 2007 at 12:21am
it's about a son writing a letter to his mother talking about what he is going though in war......
Adorkable.
Motor Baby
Adorkable.
March 16th, 2007 at 10:18am
Yea, I could agree with that.
bryarworship
Killjoy
bryarworship
March 16th, 2007 at 05:39pm
"Mama, we all go to hell . . .
I'm writing theis letter and wishing you well . . .

"Mama, we're all gonna die . . .
Stop asking me questions, I hate to see you cry . . ."

After seeing the war, he's discovered the true evil of the human race. He's speaking to "Mother War", which may be known as the many wars. The human race will eventually die out. Which, in turn, will destroy the possibility of any wars. No more "Mother War".

"And when we go don't blame us
We'll let the fire just bather us
You made us oh so famous
We'll never let you go . . ."

It's not our individual fault, and we've come to a state of mind to embrace our futures. You made the army widely used. This is positive and negative. Anyone in the army becomes praised, but because of the army, many will die.

"And when you go don't return to me my love . . ."

Our love is pure, but "Mother War"'s love is -- war. We Don't want it.

"Mama, we're all full of lies
Mama, we're meant for the flies
And right now, they're building a coffin your size . . ."

Most of us think we're fighting for righteousness, but we're not. More fighting will lead to others' deaths, and killing has the deserved consequence of death. Since our death is inevitable, your death is inevitable, too.

"Well mother what the war did to my legs and to my toungue
You should've raised a baby girl. I should've been a better son
If you could cuddle the infection they could amputate at once
You should've been / I could've been a better son . . ."

"The war takes from you physically and mentally, makes you swear, too. Humans are the only mistake on Earth, but we could be better. It's too late to be better, though. If anyone cared, they can stop it from getting worse. Everyone wishes for a better past.

It's just what I think. Go ahead and tear it apart.
rumored nights.
Salute You in Your Grave
rumored nights.
March 16th, 2007 at 09:06pm
Can I ask a question about this song, please?
I read that Gerard and Mikey's mom and dad, and Franks mom sings, but I can't tell which part. I can't really here. Is it during the chours? I'm not really sure. :/
DylanLee-Way
Fabulous Killjoy
DylanLee-Way
March 17th, 2007 at 04:29am
I get the song hard at the moment.
maybe its about a confession of a son who'd rather die 'cause he can't understand his mother's love.....
she'd rather have a girl in the family rather than him....

that's why he had a suicide....

just correct me if I'm wrong....
bryarworship
Killjoy
bryarworship
March 17th, 2007 at 10:37am
Maybe it's a suicide note
morphine
Killjoy
morphine
March 17th, 2007 at 05:56pm
i think its about war and what not
the lyrics )well mother what the war did to my legs and to my tongue(meaning the war parylized him (yes i know i cant spell worth melted ice in alaska) and what he saw in the war made him mute or he dosnt talk as much
the lyrics )so raise your glass high for tomorrow we die and return from the ashes that call( means that their in a bar drinking like in the vid to ghost of you and tomorrow they go to war but they know there gonna die )and return to the ashes that call(means that it was their duty to serve in the war

Dance
theres no REAL reson y i put that icon there cept that i liked it
fxckingChelz''
Killjoy
fxckingChelz''
March 18th, 2007 at 02:34am
didnt they say "mama" was about mother earth???
i cant remember where i heard that Razz