Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenagers

AuthorMessage
Buffy Summers
Always Born a Crime
Buffy Summers
February 26th, 2007 at 10:05pm
With reference to what has been said before: Yeah, when MCR was on MuchMusic in Canada, Gerard mentioned that 'Teenagers' was about teenage violence, especially gun violence. It was meant to take a stand against resorting to violence to resolve problems.
solong_and_goodnight
Killjoy
solong_and_goodnight
February 28th, 2007 at 07:55pm
I don't know...I think he's probably talking about how teenagers get violent and all that stuff and we're placing the future in their (our) hands, and he's not sure how anything's going to work out....
tennant.
Full of Ephedrine
tennant.
March 5th, 2007 at 03:59pm
I personally think it's about an outcast teenager who is bullied and rejected by other teenagers purely cos they like wearing dark clothes and dare to be different

but thats just me
heartache to sing
Bleeding on the Floor
heartache to sing
March 12th, 2007 at 02:17am
Yeah I think it's about an outcast student who gets made fun of a lot and is judged by his classmates and he gets fed up with it so he seeks revenge. "What you got under you shirt will make them pay for the things that they did." Twisted Evil
Adorkable.
Motor Baby
Adorkable.
March 12th, 2007 at 08:39pm
I'm pretty sure the thing about the "boys & girls in the clique" and how "you're never gonna fit in much kid" and "what u've got under ur shirt will make them pay for what they did" is a remembrance to the shootings at high schools. It's most likely about teenage violence, and how this world keeps telling us we're not good enough, and that leads to anger, and in turn violence, and war.

*No, I don't think gerard is ACTUALLY afraid of teenagers...though he has every reason to be!* Very Happy
Buffy Summers
Always Born a Crime
Buffy Summers
March 12th, 2007 at 11:52pm
why are we laughin?:
I'm pretty sure the thing about the "boys & girls in the clique" and how "you're never gonna fit in much kid" and "what u've got under ur shirt will make them pay for what they did" is a remembrance to the shootings at high schools. It's most likely about teenage violence, and how this world keeps telling us we're not good enough, and that leads to anger, and in turn violence, and war.

*No, I don't think gerard is ACTUALLY afraid of teenagers...though he has every reason to be!* Very Happy
Yes! I agree with you. Gerard even said it's about high school shootings and mentioned that there's never been a song about it before. He said the song just came to them and that's what it 'wanted' to be about.
YourMistake
Fabulous Killjoy
YourMistake
March 13th, 2007 at 01:08pm
Teenagers. Well obviously it’s about teenagers (age 13-19), and how in our society if your different or don’t belong to the majority, your cast aside or people try to fix you. “They’re gonna clean up your looks,
With all the lies in the books,
To make a citizen out of you.”

Something must be to wrong with you. Perhaps speaking about putting kids on anti-depression drugs to fix the problem. “Because the drugs never work,
They’re gonna give you a smirk,
Cause they’ve got methods to keep you clean.”

Also, talking about adults being scared of out of control youth. “Because they sleep with a gun,
And keep an eye on you, son,
So they can watch all the things you do.”

Then by the second part telling how someone who is constantly put down, getting revenge on their attackers (perhaps a kid and his/her peers). “The boys and girls in the clique
The awful names that they stick
You’re never gonna fit in much, kid.
But if you’re troubled and hurt,
What you got under your shirt,
Will make them pay for the things that they did.”

And the chorus, I’ve heard rumors that Gerard gets panic attacks around teenager fans that go to crazy-teeny mode when around him. And as a personal note from me, I don’t blame him, just standing by some of their fans waiting to meet them, (mainly teenagers) some were nuts, I would be scared too. “They said all teenagers scare the living shit out of me,
They could care less as long as someone’ll bleed.
So darken your clothes,
And strike a violent pose,
Maybe they’ll leave you alone, but not me.”

P.S.- I scare the shit out of myself. ; )
CoryisnotokIpromise
Killjoy
CoryisnotokIpromise
March 16th, 2007 at 11:25pm
alot of people are saying they think this song is about teen violence and while that would make sense I personally think it is more about adults reaction to teenagers or even teens reactions towards those who are different. if your a teen who usually dresses in black, listens to rock music, or anything along those lines it seems that adults think you must be a juvenile deliquent. I basically think Teenagers is a song about false judgement.
DylanLee-Way
Fabulous Killjoy
DylanLee-Way
March 17th, 2007 at 04:13am
hahaha.....
to me that song's quite wacky....
telling all those teenage years (which is true) thinking they're so old enough to be the bully....you know....underestimating those who are weak....
ms.gerard way
Killjoy
ms.gerard way
March 18th, 2007 at 11:37pm
i think its about teenagers getting more and more violet .. doing drugs and everything
Too the end.
Killjoy
Too the end.
March 21st, 2007 at 04:46pm
i love this song because its just too good. i think its kind of about the teenagers today like chavs and stuff. just because of the violence and stuff like that!
well basacly its a wonderful song
every one get kerang ths week as it has lots on mcr!!
demoltion-lover
Killjoy
demoltion-lover
March 28th, 2007 at 08:10am
this song i soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true it explains what teenagers are like nowadays, they really gopt teenage life up in one song! so kwl
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
March 28th, 2007 at 02:06pm
This song always reminds me of the tragedy in Columbine. I think it was two guys, teenagers, picked on in high school. They went to school one day in black trench coats ("so dark in your clothes" ), with guns ("what you've got under your shirt" ) and they wreaked havoc, killing students and teachers ("make them pay for the things they did." ) Then they killed themselves afterward. I think it occurred in 2000, maybe '01.

I'm not sure about the line, "Maybe they'll leave you alone, but not me," though.
Careenin'
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Careenin'
March 29th, 2007 at 04:19am
i got the MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE special edition (its awsum) and it sed that teenagers is about when Gerard was in the city he had to catch a train to get places and one day he got on and it was just after school had finished and hes afraid of teenagers so he had a sort of panic attack and so he wrote the song teenagers... COLUMBINE is awsum it happened April 20th 1999 they also had bombs the hand bombs went off however the ones they planted in the cafeteria didnt

Klebold Was A Time Bomb

He sung this as he killed kids ...."We hate niggers, spicks ... and let's not forget you white P.O.S. [pieces of expletive] also. We hate you."

Klebold's Background

17-year-old Dylan Klebold's mother, Susan Yassenoff, was synagogue-going and shul-trained. She attended Temple Israel. Her father, Leo Yassenoff, was a wealthy commercial real-estate developer in Columbus, Ohio, and a prominent figure in the Jewish community, and active at the Temple Israel.

Eric Harris
He shot gunned his fellow students at point-blank range.

Eric Harris's Background

Eric Harris was from New York, he transferred two yrs before the massacre to Colorado. He was under the influence of Luvox, an anti-depressant. His friend Seth Tenebaum, a 17 year old senior at Mayo High School in Rochester, Minn. and Sapel Berg, an 18-year-old senior in Plattsburgh, each knew Harris, and his mother, when his family lived in New York.

Harris was dating a Jewish girl, Sarah Davis - she said "Eric was angry when his family moved from New York to Colorado" ... Harris Jewish background.

twas 2 guys
princeiona
Fabulous Killjoy
princeiona
March 30th, 2007 at 01:31pm
When I heard Gerard singing it at the concert last week it seemed to take on a new meaning to me. While I'm not suggesting that it's what was intended it was the reaction that I had to it.

It seemed to me that it was about people questioning society and the way things are run. The people who are least likely to conform and most likely to think outside of the box are teenagers and those in power are scared by this.

'To make a citizen out of you'
and
'They're gonna rip up your heads,
Your aspirations to shreds'

reffer to the pressure put on young people to conform

'Another cog in the murder machine'
that's what they want you to become, an unquestioning and insignificant member of a corrupt society

They said all teenagers scare the living shit out of me
They could care less as long as someone'll bleed

Authoritys are worried that teenagers will destroy society by refusing to stick to the rules etc.

So darken your clothes or strike a violent pose
Is telling us that it's right to question authority and that regardless of pressure we shouldn't just accept the status quo

I think the song taken literally is about teenage gun crime but i think it's maybe looking beyond that issue and addressing the issue of teenagers rebeling generally and why perhaps (whilst not condoning gun crime) it is a good thing.
sea king
Always Born a Crime
sea king
March 30th, 2007 at 03:02pm
I thought Teenagers was about how Gerard was like...I don't know...paranoid that he couldn't relate to 'young people' [teenagers]. Almost as if he thought he was old. Which he's not. Thats kind of what I heard on the 'My Chemical Romance Welcomes You To The Black Parade' thing on iTunes...unless it was about a different song. But hey, thats just my crazy thoughts. =]
Careenin'
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Careenin'
March 31st, 2007 at 12:18am
ATxTHExEND:
I thought Teenagers was about how Gerard was like...I don't know...paranoid that he couldn't relate to 'young people' [teenagers]. Almost as if he thought he was old. Which he's not. Thats kind of what I heard on the 'My Chemical Romance Welcomes You To The Black Parade' thing on iTunes...unless it was about a different song. But hey, thats just my crazy thoughts. =]
hes 30 on april 9th which is in like 10 days so hes got at least 10 years hopefully
princeiona
Fabulous Killjoy
princeiona
March 31st, 2007 at 01:27pm
I'd say he was pretty old in relation to his fan base...at the Glasgow show he held up a bra that someone had chucked onto the stage (it looked tiny-haha) and went, 'I'll probably get arrested just for touching this'. Sad but true.

Ooh and to further my idea ( about three posts up) Gerard is kinda obsessed with mass murderers right? So maybe the song is trying to shed some light on why people would behave like that.
Heartquake
Salute You in Your Grave
Heartquake
March 31st, 2007 at 08:24pm
IM NEW! so plz bear wit me
ok heres what i think the song means..
(They're gonna clean up your looks
With all the lies in the books
To make a citizen out of you)
to me this means that if you dont go with the flow of society and you are not what everyone else is, then they are gonna make you into one of them. they dont want you to be yourself, they want you to be what they think teenagers should be. and they are gonna say and teach alot of crap that they think is fine and ok to make you fit in. they wanna make every rebel and everyone who goes against the grain into someone that they think is "fit" for society
(Because they sleep with a gun
And keep an eye on you, son
So they can watch all the things you do)
this is talking about how they are afraid of teenagers and how they have to take drastic measures to protect themselves. its also saying how many people in society are watching teenagers , making sure they dont do anything wrong. they are watching teens 24/7
(Because the drugs never work
They're gonna give you a smirk
'Cause they got methods of keeping you clean)
talking about how even thought you might try to rebel with drugs, they can still control you and what you do.
(They're gonna rip up your heads,
Your aspirations to shreds
Another cog in the murder machine)
this is saying how they would rather kill you than let you be yourself
(They said all teenagers scare the living shit out of me
They could care less as long as someone'll bleed)
this is authority figures and society making excuses of why they do the things that they do to teenagers
(So darken your clothes or strike a violent pose
Maybe they'll leave you alone, but not me)
its say that rebel enough and they might leave you alone, but whoever "me" is wont , that they will keep fighting for you. but i am a little stumped by the line "maybe they'll leave you alone, but not me"
(The boys and girls in the clique
The awful names that they stick
You're never gonna fit in much, kid)
its talking about how all the "popular" kids in highschool are in cliques and if you are different from them then they are going to make fun of you. basically you are never going to fit in much because you are not society's idea of normal
"But if you're troubled and hurt
What you got under your shirt
Will make them pay for the things that they did"
1- that maybe someone is packing *carrying a gun or weapon* and they plan to get revenge on the people who make fun of them.
I think that this whole song is about authority figures making excuses of why they try to control teenagers so much

Punk Very Happy
X.Ashton.X
Killjoy
X.Ashton.X
April 1st, 2007 at 06:19pm
When he says "Maybe they'll leave you alone, but not me". I think he's saying that everyone else can do things like darken their clothes and stuff and that teenagers still scare him, but he's not gonna do it.