Don't have an account? Create one!

The Sharpest Lives

AuthorMessage
Dead Guardian Angel
Jazz Hands
Dead Guardian Angel
March 19th, 2007 at 04:37pm
Well, one, I do agree that it has something to do with alcohol. But doesn't this song follow House of Wolves? Because as I said in a previous post on the House of Wolves forum, this song may have to do with Patient reflecting on the dark parts of his life.

I think that maybe, just maybe, and I could totally be wrong, that this entire album has to do with Gerard reflecting on hid past? I could be wrong, but it's just an idea...

*Sakura-chan*
heartache to sing
Bleeding on the Floor
heartache to sing
March 19th, 2007 at 04:54pm
I agree. You can tell that the songs are loosely based on him and his experiences.
justme
Killjoy
justme
March 19th, 2007 at 11:02pm
I think this song is about the patient who doesn't want to suffer from pain anymore. One shot of morphine (Give me a shot to remember and you can take all the pain away from me, a kiss and I will surrender) and he would be free to escape his dreadful life since discovering he has cancer. He wants to his life to have meaning before he dies (A light to burn all the empires, so bright the sun is ashamed to rise and be) He wants to be the light and the sun because that way he will be remembered. He's scared of dying and wants to be immortal (which is why he is "in love with all of these vampires"Wink yet everyone around him knows thats impossible and eventually leaves him to live in his fantasy in order for him to come to grips with his own mortality (so you can leave like the sane abandoned me)
shitthatwascyanide
Salute You in Your Grave
shitthatwascyanide
March 22nd, 2007 at 10:00pm
well the 2nd line:

"if i crash on the couch, can i sleep in my clothes?"

reminds me of catcher in the rye in the part with mr. antolini.

i know, i'm kinda obsessed w/ that book...
GOTHICfairyPRINCESS
Killjoy
GOTHICfairyPRINCESS
March 23rd, 2007 at 01:59pm
i think this is about gerards personal; experience with alcohol and drugs.they made him depressed so it sort o ffits with it "the sharpest lives are the deadliest to lead"
Jillyduck
Killjoy
Jillyduck
March 29th, 2007 at 07:29pm
I always thought this song was related to House of Wolves

porbbaly cause the first time i listened to this album i was reading twilight by stepehnie meyer and like wolves and vampires were so effing related to the songs i was totally freaking out.

i always thought maybe it was related to the book...

maybe gerard read the book...

you never know
aLeXoFmCr
Killjoy
aLeXoFmCr
March 29th, 2007 at 09:03pm
I think the sharpest lives is what they went through for the past few years! I mean gerard drank and did drugs and it has beeen put into the song but they use metephoes to hide soem of their "life" events.
logic_fails
Motor Baby
logic_fails
March 30th, 2007 at 12:56pm
I heard that it's about Bert McCracken/drugs/alcohol

I once tried to explain the whole song to myself, but I ended up writing a fanfic about it. Yeah, that much to explain. Neutral
LOVE?
Fabulous Killjoy
LOVE?
March 31st, 2007 at 08:41pm
i think it about my life its on my page!!!
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
March 31st, 2007 at 08:57pm
It's all about saving yourself to save the others
around you. I mean, he starts off on the agenda
where he doesn't give a fuck, and he is very
ignorant way of thinking, as in ;;

'If it looks like I'm laughing I'm really just asking to leave'.

I believe that part is voicing yourself in a secretive yet somewhat
obvious way of getting your point across. Where he is trying to
say he does care but he doesn't know how to show it.

'Take off your skin in the cannibal glow'

Come with me . . . I really love you . . .

And yeah . . .

I think it puts across a valid point of pleading but not
wanting to hurt anyone you love. I guess it could be
to do with a reputation, but MCR never really gave
a fuck about that kinda shit. It's all about trying
to solve it yourself before gaining total helplessness,
where you are in dire need of some fucking therapy.
mcr4lif
Killjoy
mcr4lif
April 8th, 2007 at 01:28am
i herd that gerard wrote this song about bert
Gerards_Dirtty_Babe
Fabulous Killjoy
Gerards_Dirtty_Babe
April 16th, 2007 at 04:02am
i think that this song has like millions of different meanings but the one that is most clear is that if ur all drugged up and depressed u just really make it so much harder for yourself then it needs to be. its saying that if ur rite on the edge of life then get of it and come back because there is more. Smile
dontwannabeyou
Killjoy
dontwannabeyou
April 16th, 2007 at 02:26pm
I know gerard personally.. and this is what the songs about.. it is about gerard falling apart with drugs and alcohol after elena (his grandmother) dies. It is also about him not packing anything before going to Japan because he was sure he wasn't coming back ( he though he was going to commit suicide) .

rossxx
xodemolition-loverox
Killjoy
xodemolition-loverox
April 20th, 2007 at 04:55pm
i think its about gerad doing drugs with that guy from muse (im not sure its iffy)
angelofyournightmare
Killjoy
angelofyournightmare
April 21st, 2007 at 07:18am
i love this songy its [also] my fave on tBP... i think u guys are right. def drugs and alchohol and being on tour: "give me a shot to remember... so you can take all the pain away from me..." u dont think it has something to do with sex as well? just a thought... after all, there is a lack of sex in music, right G?
MyGeekyRomance
Killjoy
MyGeekyRomance
April 21st, 2007 at 07:20am
Thanks God I Am Not The Only One That Thinks It Is About Sex Wink Its Just The Noises After The First Verse That Gives It Away Razz

And the Next Bit Dosen't Really Have Anything To Do With The Meaning Of The Song But...I Bought The Black Parade Album Of iTunes And It Said That The Name Of This Song Was Atcually "A Kiss Before She Goes" Does Anyone Know Why This Is...Maybee The Song Has Two Names :SRazz Because It Really Confused Me
oo_mitch05_oo
Killjoy
oo_mitch05_oo
April 24th, 2007 at 08:52am
i think it's about a problemed person who makes himself comfortable but the things that make him comfortable also makes him and his loved ones suffer.
WayFukdUp
Jazz Hands
WayFukdUp
April 25th, 2007 at 12:11am
sarahmcMCR:
Thanks God I Am Not The Only One That Thinks It Is About Sex Wink Its Just The Noises After The First Verse That Gives It Away Razz

And the Next Bit Dosen't Really Have Anything To Do With The Meaning Of The Song But...I Bought The Black Parade Album Of iTunes And It Said That The Name Of This Song Was Atcually "A Kiss Before She Goes" Does Anyone Know Why This Is...Maybee The Song Has Two Names :SRazz Because It Really Confused Me

He did say at a concert that this song "is about getting very dirtttty"

So i think the "why don't you blow me"
pause
"a kiss before she goes"

is intended to sound sexual. There is a lot of trickery in the lyrics.

when he says "before she goes" i wonder who he's talking about.
Give Em Hell Kid
Killjoy
Give Em Hell Kid
April 27th, 2007 at 02:34pm
its about the pasent geting doing drugs and and being alone
Solitary Style.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Solitary Style.
April 27th, 2007 at 10:10pm
OMG--I noticed that first time I heard it. That pause between "Blow me," and "a kiss."

Oh, and sarahmcMCR, I bought "Black Parade" on iTunes as well, but mine's called "The Sharpest Lives."

Onto the meaning. It seems to me like the gist of the song is--"I know it's wrong, but it feels so right." It sounds a little like a struggle, like what may have gone through Gee's mind while he was in the process of kicking his addictions.

I'm very curious about the metaphor, "The sun is ashamed to rise and be in love with all of these vampires." I assume "vampires" is referring to the night stalkers--the people who are up all night partying, or whatever. But what is the sun supposed to represent?