Don't have an account? Create one!

The Sharpest Lives

AuthorMessage
MyChemicalAttraction
Killjoy
MyChemicalAttraction
May 3rd, 2007 at 04:38pm
I agree with everyone else this song is definitly about drugs and stuff but don't u think this song kinda has a animal-ish feel to it i mean:

" you can watch me corrode like a beast in repose"
and
"theres a place in the dark were the animals go, you can take of your skin in the canibal glow"
i dono just saying
InuBaka13
Killjoy
InuBaka13
May 4th, 2007 at 02:59pm
I love how no matter what the songs about you can take whatever meaning you want from it.
Silverstein
Bleeding on the Floor
Silverstein
May 4th, 2007 at 04:52pm
Yes, it does refer to drugs and alcohol. The "sharpest lives" may mean drug dealers, because the lives they live are "the deadliest to lead."
persona non grata
Killjoy
persona non grata
May 5th, 2007 at 08:23pm
i agree with everyone saying it's about drugs and alcohol, and how they can consume you, and reach everyone in your life. i think the part about being in love with vampires is kind of like, when you're an alcoholic or an addict, you surround yourself with people who have similar afflictions, and the whole scene kind of sucks the life out of you. like, once you start, you get deeper and deeper in until nothing of you is left. i think it's mostly talking about like, the drug scene and stuff. "there's a place in the dark, where the animals go..." and whatnot.
L. Lupus
Killjoy
L. Lupus
May 6th, 2007 at 08:47pm
yeah, i agree. it's defiately one big drug reference. i think the animal sections of the song:
"you can watch me corrode like a beast in repose"

"theres a place in the dark were the animals go, you can take of your skin in the canibal glow"

may be describing how he thinks he acts when he's on those drugs/ alcohol. i think the "take off your skin in the canibal glow" may be refering to takign off your clothes (duh) while being watched by these drunken / high people
Im-ThE-nEw-CaNcEr
Killjoy
Im-ThE-nEw-CaNcEr
May 7th, 2007 at 05:16pm
well its probably about being drunk and all that shit!
ClAiRe
Morgan!
Killjoy
Morgan!
May 24th, 2007 at 09:18pm
Haha i had no idea what this song meant for the longest time..me and my sister would ligit argue about the song meaning,.but ya i agree with it being about drugs and alcohol
emmakatherine
Killjoy
emmakatherine
May 31st, 2007 at 08:44pm
Is it a struggle between wanting the feeling of your drug of choice,
but realizing how it destroys you at the same time?
GasolineRainbow
Jazz Hands
GasolineRainbow
May 31st, 2007 at 09:50pm
Very straight forward songs.

As said before drugs & alcohol.
MizzUnderstood_559
Killjoy
MizzUnderstood_559
June 5th, 2007 at 05:50pm
Fireplug.:
PassSweetRevenge:
This is also my favorite song on the cd you two! I agree with all of you guys, I think it is about the affects, and also how some will beg for that last hit.

"Give me a shot to remember,
and you can take all the pain away from me,
a kiss and I will surrender,
the sharpest lives are the deadliest to leave."

Sounds to me like a begging for his dealer for the last one, and what had happened on one of his highs.

Woah! Hearing that it was about drugs and alcohol and then seeing the lyrics quoted made it so clear.

Yeah, I agree. I think that is definately what its about.

'Cause like... shots? Heroin? [not that Gerard's ever been on Heroin but I'm just saying...] And kiss? Cigarettes? And sharpest... ermm... either thats just like a fancy verse or for some people it could mean like self-jury. Just saying! For some people... it could mean that. For Gerard/MyChem it could mean - whatever.

This is my favorite song as well.

Now I feel like going to look up the lyrics and anylizing each verse. Very Happy

"And sharpest... ermm... either thats just like a fancy verse or for some people it could mean like self-jury"
I thnk by sharpest he does mean sumthin lyk self injury cuz didn't he try 2 kill or hurt himslef once...?? idk im not sure datz just wut i thnk kkk...!! Razz Wink
P A N D O R A
Demolition Lover
P A N D O R A
June 5th, 2007 at 10:26pm
MyChemicalAttraction:
I agree with everyone else this song is definitly about drugs and stuff but don't u think this song kinda has a animal-ish feel to it i mean:

" you can watch me corrode like a beast in repose"
and
i dono just saying

i think he talking about how when your drunk people just kinda watch you
"you can watch me corrode like a beast in repose"
i think thats what thats about
and about "theres a place....." is about how you feel when you on drugs or are drunk like your in a different world
"you can take off your skin"
^be who you eally are expose yourself
DeathQueen
Killjoy
DeathQueen
June 13th, 2007 at 11:43am
I love Gerard Way, and I only want what's -best- for him. If he does do drugs, or whatever he does that is harmful to him; self injury or not; illegal or not; I just wish and pray that I could help him. I'm going to die and go to Heaven some day, and I want to see him there, so the music he played wont mold his lifestyle. I -REALLY- love you Gerard! I'm here if you need me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
harlequin.girl
Jazz Hands
harlequin.girl
June 13th, 2007 at 01:41pm
Okay, one of my friends said that The Sharpest Lives is about a guy whose girlfriend is cheating on him with his best friend, but I also see where drugs and alcohol could easily be it, to.
"If I crash on the couch, can I sleep in my clothes?"-he doesn't want to sleep in the same bed as where they were doing it
"Cause I spent the night dancing, I'm drunk I suppose"-he's trying to give the girl an excuse for why he won't sleep in the bed
My friend also said that the guy's plan is to kill his friend and leave the chick so she can just wallow in misery and have a suckish life, but I'm not sure about that...it's a little extreme, but hey, I was just told this.
TheCanibalGLow
Killjoy
TheCanibalGLow
June 14th, 2007 at 09:44am
I think that this song is very important to gerard.

"well it rains and i pours when your out on your own." >> hes having a pretty 'great' life *hint*scarcasm*

"if i crash on the couch can i sleep in my clothes, cause ive spent the night dancing im drunk i suppose if it looks like im laughing im really just asking to leave.">> hes drunk high tiered and really wants to die.

There's a place in the dark where the animals go you can take off your skin in the canibalglow [get high there ruin your life]

juliet loves the beat the lust she comnds [hott girl gerard likes that wanst to rip his heart out .. aka : drugs]

drop the dagger and lather the blood on your hands.. romeo [gerard being romeo, killing the girl cuz he knos he cant have although he really wants her]

---Adele.. msg me
^^^^and he says the same thing over [more metaphoricly] when he describes romeo killing juliet although he never really did.
melodramatic fool
Salute You in Your Grave
melodramatic fool
June 15th, 2007 at 09:22pm
This is a really powerful song,written from Gerard's heart I think.
I think he's singing it from his real experiences,especially the "If I crash on the couch can i sleep in my clothes,cause i've spent the night dancing i'm DRUNK i supposed "
And "Is i'm laughing i'm really just asking to leave" He wents to get out of the alchohol scene,
ClydeMeadows
Killjoy
ClydeMeadows
June 17th, 2007 at 03:38pm
I believe this song is about drug abuse and how it affects others and just your life.

"Well it rains and it pours when you're out on your own.
If I crash on the couch can I sleep in my clothes?
'Cause I've spent the night dancing, I'm drunk I suppose.
If it looks like I'm laughing I'm really just asking to leave"

The opening starts just with how when you get into a state in your life where you are just constantly getting fucked up all the time, you just start to devolp a certain apathy and disdain for your life simply because everything sucks anyways. So you start making bad decisions and you are just willing to pass out anywhere they will take you. So you are aware of how you are behaving and despite even if you look like you are having a good time you are completely miserable inside, always putting off any sort of real resolution since the situation keeps on being deemed hopeless.

"This alone. You're in time for the show,
You're the one that I need, I'm the one that you loathe.
You can watch me corrode like a beast in repose,
Cause I love all the poison, away with the boys in the band."

I personally do not know much about the bert/gerard thing, but I can imagine I suppose if this song is in any way related to it. For the sake of making it easier I think it is geared towards someone who was close to gerard at the time and how he just turned to them and in a way associated them close to the drugs I suppose, seeing as they helped partake in his over self-destructive behavior. Seeing as there seems to be a lot wrong with his life he just takes in everything that gives him the slightest bit of gratification, however instant and fleeting it is.

"I've really been on a bender and it shows,
So why don't you blow me ... a kiss before she goes?"

Druggies really seem to have some sort of pride in their habits, and this is where he is aware of just exactly what he is doing and just don't care, and in some way is saying how he has gotten to such a bad point, and well, it shows, yet no one seems to help him anyway, which is a shame since he is consistantly acting out by using drugs and such. And the 'why don't you blow me' I think is a double meaning... It sounds really dirty, and I think it goes along with the self-destructive behavior, seeing as it kind of seems very uncharacteristic for Gerard to even have that in a song, but since his drug use has rendered him guilty he feels like a dirty invidiual anyways, so saying inappriate things is justified since he has turned into this unfavorable person anyways.

And you can take all the pain away from me.
A kiss and I will surrender,"

This is just him really calling out on how desperatly he wants his life to be better, by any means. The first way he calls for drug use, since that is the way he has learned to temperaryly solve his problems... "A kiss and I will surrender" This is geared more towards someone who can show him the least bit of affection in this world he has created upon himself, and how he would give it up if this horrible depression could ever be lifted from him..

"The sharpest lives are the deadliest to lead."
Even though his life (and those similar to it) may seem appealing for a bystander, it really is just an intense drug ridden one with everyone's own personal demons.

"A light to burn all the empires,
So bright the sun is ashamed to rise and be"

I think this talks about the decision between the person who can solve his problems, or the drugs and alcohol, either way he wants it to shake him with the intensity it would provoke.

"In love with all of these vampires,
So you can leave like the sane abandoned me"

I think at this point he realises that no one could really like who he was at the moment, so the person who could potentinally save him in fact does not exist, seeing as those he seems to be around is carrying the same disease he has.

"There's a place in the dark where the animals go,
You can take off your skin in the cannibal glow.
Juliet loves the blade and the lust it commands,
Drop the dagger and lather the blood on your hands Romeo."

This might just be artistic liscence, because I believe not everything an artist writes has meaning, or it is phrased in such a way that it sounds nice, but either way to stick with the meaning, it just goes on further to explain how where he is in his life is where everyone is just "cannibalish" and just everyone helps destroy eachother, even those who think that they are helping.

I've really been on a bender and it shows,
So why don't you blow me a kiss before she goes?

So overally it is just this testiment about how you can loose yourself when you have lost everything you've had to live for, and there is no gratification in any sort of future commitment, or hope for any sort of life, but there is still an internal drive that calls you to be something and do something, bu yet all the more aware of what a viscious cycle you have engulfed your life into and the hardships it will have to get out of it.

...Well, that's my take on it anyways.
The.Frerard.Cookie
Killjoy
The.Frerard.Cookie
June 21st, 2007 at 08:34am
Yes, sounds like drugs and addiction...
'gimme a shot to remember and you can take all the pain away from me...'
GREAT song :]
xemilyferocious
Killjoy
xemilyferocious
July 3rd, 2007 at 08:36pm
At first I thought it was about like drugs or something but now I kinda think that the song is meant to be interpereted different ways. Whether its cutting, drugs, or other addictions. It may mean them all.
Xavey Stars
Motor Baby
Xavey Stars
July 11th, 2007 at 02:32am
Okay, you might think I'm totally insane, but this is what I think one part of the song is about...brace yourselves, it's random, but it makes sense to me. Although it doesn't make sense with the rest of the song..just..bear with me.

"There's a place in the dark where the animals go,
You can take off your skin in that cannibal glow"

Okay, so before that, if you have heard this song (I certainly hope you have), you hear this gasping, choking, suffocating noise. I believe that the person who is gasping ect., is changing into a werewolf. (I told you it was insane) Think about it:

"There's a place in the dark where the animals go..."

According to the myths and legends, werewolves transform into their animal state at night, under a full moon. Heh, also meaning "dark".

"You can take off your skin in that cannibal glow..."

Werewolves, as you have probably seen in some movies, tear off their skin in the process of transforming. (Hence: You can take off your skin) After transforming, werewolves become bloodthirsty, and if allowed, can devour humans (cannibalism) and other animals. (Hence: In that cannibal glow)

As for the "gasping, choking, suffocating" noises, that may very well be that werewolf transforming. Also, as you can probably imagine, and also in other movies having werewolves as characters, it would be very painful to transform.

"You can watch me corrode like a beast in repose"

Well you can guess what I'm going at with this, beast: werewolf, as some people might think.

If you think that my theory, if you could call it that, is somewhat logical - at all - tell me!!!! I don't want comments like "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!! THATS SO STUPID!!!" No one wants those. So if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I have thought about this for a lengthily amount of time, and even did some research, so don't make me feel like I did something that was a waste of my time. I doubt my idea was what Gerard was aiming for, but it's a good as guess as anyone else's. PLEASE let me know what you think =]
killyourfriends1
Killjoy
killyourfriends1
July 16th, 2007 at 11:16am
Fireplug.:
PassSweetRevenge:
This is also my favorite song on the cd you two! I agree with all of you guys, I think it is about the affects, and also how some will beg for that last hit.

and you can take all the pain away from me,
a kiss and I will surrender,
the sharpest lives are the deadliest to leave."

Sounds to me like a begging for his dealer for the last one, and what had happened on one of his highs.

Woah! Hearing that it was about drugs and alcohol and then seeing the lyrics quoted made it so clear.

Yeah, I agree. I think that is definately what its about.

'Cause like... shots? Heroin? [not that Gerard's ever been on Heroin but I'm just saying...] And kiss? Cigarettes? And sharpest... ermm... either thats just like a fancy verse or for some people it could mean like self-jury. Just saying! For some people... it could mean that. For Gerard/MyChem it could mean - whatever.

This is my favorite song as well.

Now I feel like going to look up the lyrics and anylizing each verse. Very Happy

I'm not sure if i was just too lazy to read that whole thing, but gee's scared of needles...