Don't have an account? Create one!

Queen

AuthorMessage
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
June 23rd, 2007 at 08:48am
About the post earlier. I'd have to agree about what a damn shame it is that Queen has become so unknown. I know only 5 people(excluding people who I've had to explain what Queen was/is) who've heard of Queen. Two of them were fans. One had the ignorance to say that Freddie being gay affected the band musically. Another person hated Queen because she had to sing Bohemian Rhapsody at her other school. And another person was like " You like that band? That's my dad's favorite band." The fact this thread only has 4 pages compared to something like Panic! at the Disco who put no effort into their writing and Brendan in my opinion sucks at singing( He ruined Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins so I completely despise him). People have their own opinions and that's cool and all. But the fact that such a great band is so unknown just makes me mad for some reason. I don't get it.
Broken Bones.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Broken Bones.
June 23rd, 2007 at 04:07pm
^ Yeah. I really don't get why so many people don't know anything about them.
Maybe people forget about Queen because their videos are not on MTV and stuff. That's a shame |:
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
June 24th, 2007 at 03:51pm
I've noticed a lot of people in my area under aged, let's say 16, don't really appreciate or pay attention to Queen. I know MCR fans who think MCR wrote Under Pressure.

A lot of people 16 and under don't pay attention to classic rock, but more to the current stuff, which I guess is understandable, but it's sad they don't know the history of music.

I did notice, once you reach 16 or 17, you start understanding and thinking highly of bands like Queen.

Queen had very mature lyrics and particularly Freddie's lyrics, sometimes were just too mature for teens and children.

After Queen's album 'The Game', they were making #1 hits all over the place, except for the USA, they couldn't even score a top 10 hit until 1991 (The Show Must Go On with Bohemian Rhapsody single).

I seduce people into loving Queen. All my friends like them now, and I mean so much they pay me for CD singles I have by them, and albums if they arn't available in the store at that moment.

It pisses me off when people sing a Queen song, yet can't name the band, or the singer, who had maybe more attention than the band itself. I know my local classic rock station loves the phrase "Freddie Mercury & The Boys!"

My girlfriend likes Panic At The Disco.... and I think they are talentless compared to Queen. I hate the music and I hate the vocalist's singing.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
June 24th, 2007 at 05:40pm
scandalqueen:
My girlfriend likes Panic At The Disco.... and I think they are talentless compared to Queen. I hate the music and I hate the vocalist's singing.
Haha, that's kind of how I feel about this board. Panic!, FOB, and similar artists above Queen, Joy Division, David Bowie, any of that kind of thing. But then, I used to be like that. The 16/17 thing pretty much holds true for me, except I started liking them at 15, and it was more getting in to AFI that got me into the older bands, since they really emphasize the older music and practically everyone on the messageboards likes it as well.
scandalqueen
Killjoy
scandalqueen
June 25th, 2007 at 02:43pm
I honestly think, it's impossible for anyone to hate Queen. They performed so many kinds of music. They did songs that you wouldn't even recognize Freddie's voice, and Brian and Roger also sang songs too. I think it's impossible to not like Queen, unless your someone who can only stand rap or country music, I know a few of those. They had so many songs that were never released as singles... that I think you can't say you don't them until you hear at least 50% of them, and the average radio listener doesn't even hear 10% of Queen songs.

But Queen could pull off any genre and get away with it.
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
June 27th, 2007 at 04:14am
^^Yes, Queen can pull of any genre and get away with it. They can pull of ANY kind of song and get away with it. Seaside Randezvous sounded like it belonged in Marry Poppins (my mom mentioned it to me the other day), but it was still really good, and A LOT more enjoyable than anything by Panic!, and had a lot more substance too. I don't have all of their albums yet, but I have some, and random bits I downloaded. I've never heard a Queen song on the radio, either.

TheMysteriousThug:
About the post earlier. I'd have to agree about what a damn shame it is that Queen has become so unknown. I know only 5 people(excluding people who I've had to explain what Queen was/is) who've heard of Queen. Two of them were fans. One had the ignorance to say that Freddie being gay affected the band musically. Another person hated Queen because she had to sing Bohemian Rhapsody at her other school. And another person was like " You like that band? That's my dad's favorite band." The fact this thread only has 4 pages compared to something like Panic! at the Disco who put no effort into their writing and Brendan in my opinion sucks at singing( He ruined Tonight, Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins so I completely despise him). People have their own opinions and that's cool and all. But the fact that such a great band is so unknown just makes me mad for some reason. I don't get it.

I know, it's quite sad, esp. someone hating them because they had to sing Bohemian Rhapsody (I'D LOVE FOR MY SCHOOL TO MAKE ME SING THAT). My dad was a fan, so I grew up listening to it. I was kind of a sheltered dork when I was young, so I listened to my dad's music (mainly Queen) and was completely clueless that Britney Spears/NSync, etc, existed until middle school. Needless to say, I'm so proud I did although for a time I felt "uncool" for knowing only Queen.

I put Freddie Murcury on the mural, and, oh god, the kids "Who the fuck is that guy?!" and some kids were like, he's ugly, blah blah. Psshh..
Some only get it when I hum the bass for Under Pressure, and they're like, "OMFG, THAT'S VANILLA ICE". I could go on. I'm really glad MCR is bringing Queen back to the attention of the mainstream (I think). At least a young MCR fan would check out Queen since Gerard loves them so much.

I am not surprised that kids my age, and younger (or older) don't know or appreciate Queen (besides the age factor). Some MCR fans had a hard time appreciating and recognizing what MCR did with the Black Parade, with the Queen-like granduer and ripping off a lot of classic rock (a lot of Queen). They liked it, but they most missed the 'edginess', 'rawness' of the "old MCR", and wasn't too keen on the classic rock influence, which is understandable. However, I felt some really didn't appreciate what MCR was trying to bring back, and some accused them of "selling out" (I doubt they even know how wrong they are. Classic rock is SO wanted by the teenage mainstream audience these days) . Some preferred screaming to beautiful guitar solos. That's just my impression anyways. Don't yell at me. XD

scandalqueen:

After Queen's album 'The Game', they were making #1 hits all over the place, except for the USA, they couldn't even score a top 10 hit until 1991 (The Show Must Go On with Bohemian Rhapsody single).

There, I believe, lies the problem of the ignorance of Queen in the younger American audience.

Keep this thread alive Queen fans!
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
June 27th, 2007 at 03:40pm
mirarle:
I'm really glad MCR is bringing Queen back to the attention of the mainstream (I think). At least a young MCR fan would check out Queen since Gerard loves them so much.
I hope more of this happens. I never got to Queen from MCR. I soaked up so many pictures, interviews, videos, bands, nearly everything, but never got to the older music. I guess they just didn't emphasize older stuff for me.
I got to Queen from AFI, who put heavy emphasis on older music, and their singer believes that there's practically nothing new that's any good now.
I'm not saying that MCR needs to go that far, but they could do with a little more emphasis on their influences. You see stuff like his cartoon of David Bowie or hear a mention of this band or that, but it's only a brief mention, whereas he's friends with members of the newer bands so you see them quite a bit and eventually go look at them, or they're in MCR's myspace top [whatevernumberthey'vegot] or in interviews or magazines with them. And they're more natural to pick up anyway, since that's who the media is into as well. The older bands are much harder to notice from brief mentions, and I just wish that MCR would "show them off" a bit more. Maybe they have lately and I haven't noticed, since I haven't been nearly as attentive after TBP came out, but I haven't seen something like that around this site.
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
June 27th, 2007 at 06:50pm
I'll be honest when I say MCR got me into Queen. And got me into liking Queen more than MCR. MCR also got me into a lot of their influences such as The Smashing Pumpkins, The Misfits( More Danzig than anything though I can't really stand the instrumentals of The Misfits since they were down right shitty IMO), and Pink Floyd. Ever since I've been listening to The Wall a lot with A Night at the Opera and a lot of The Smashing Pumpkins. If I had to make an all-time list thanks to MCR. It would be(For the first 5):

1: Queen
2: The Smashing Pumpkins
3: Pink Floyd
4: The Beatles
5: MCR

It's best to be honest. Very Happy
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
June 27th, 2007 at 08:41pm
^^Haha, yes, it's best to be honest. I got a lot into The Mars Volta, Thursday and Pink Floyd because of MCR. I've listened to SP before MCR, but I've never really really listened to them until MCR.
Three of the bands you put up are in my top 4 (Queen, SP, MCR), and fourth is Muse.

liz.mp3:
mirarle:
I'm really glad MCR is bringing Queen back to the attention of the mainstream (I think). At least a young MCR fan would check out Queen since Gerard loves them so much.
I hope more of this happens. I never got to Queen from MCR. I soaked up so many pictures, interviews, videos, bands, nearly everything, but never got to the older music. I guess they just didn't emphasize older stuff for me.
I got to Queen from AFI, who put heavy emphasis on older music, and their singer believes that there's practically nothing new that's any good now.
I'm not saying that MCR needs to go that far, but they could do with a little more emphasis on their influences. You see stuff like his cartoon of David Bowie or hear a mention of this band or that, but it's only a brief mention, whereas he's friends with members of the newer bands so you see them quite a bit and eventually go look at them, or they're in MCR's myspace top [whatevernumberthey'vegot] or in interviews or magazines with them. And they're more natural to pick up anyway, since that's who the media is into as well. The older bands are much harder to notice from brief mentions, and I just wish that MCR would "show them off" a bit more. Maybe they have lately and I haven't noticed, since I haven't been nearly as attentive after TBP came out, but I haven't seen something like that around this site.

In every review of The Black Parade there's always a mention of Queen, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, etc that even I became really bored of reading almost the same reviews everytime. If the mags aren't calling them emo, they're referring them to some classic rock influence. I would think a MCR fan who is following closely and attentive would pick it up, at least one who really cares about the music and are not looking at the mags just to oggle at Gerard's pictures. For example, I knew, after nearly every mag/reviewer talking about how 'Mama' (my fave song) was influenced by 'The Trial' by Pink Floyd, I just had to check it out.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
June 27th, 2007 at 09:45pm
mirarle:

In every review of The Black Parade there's always a mention of Queen, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, etc that even I became really bored of reading almost the same reviews everytime. If the mags aren't calling them emo, they're referring them to some classic rock influence. I would think a MCR fan who is following closely and attentive would pick it up, at least one who really cares about the music and are not looking at the mags just to oggle at Gerard's pictures. For example, I knew, after nearly every mag/reviewer talking about how 'Mama' (my fave song) was influenced by 'The Trial' by Pink Floyd, I just had to check it out.
Well, I guess that's just it. I haven't paid attention to TBP, after I heard it for the first time.
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
June 27th, 2007 at 10:27pm
Yes, I know, I was just saying. Just so you know, I wasn't aiming anything at you if it seems that way.
TheMysteriousThug
Joining The Black Parade
TheMysteriousThug
June 28th, 2007 at 12:52pm
Man...I wish someone could revive people from the dead. Who knows what kind of music Queen could be making now.
oceanic 815.
Full of Ephedrine
oceanic 815.
July 2nd, 2007 at 02:35pm
Oh man. <333333
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
July 2nd, 2007 at 02:37pm
mirarle:
Yes, I know, I was just saying. Just so you know, I wasn't aiming anything at you if it seems that way.
Sorry. I sounded more defensive than I meant to.

YAYYYY. Now I've gotten my brother really into Queen, so he can buy CDs for me to steal instead of the other way around.
antennas to heaven.
Banned
antennas to heaven.
July 2nd, 2007 at 06:25pm
I love Queen sosososo much.
I grew up listening to them.

I wish Freddie Mercury was still here.
XStay_AwakeX
Thinking Happy Thoughts
XStay_AwakeX
July 7th, 2007 at 03:31pm
i love Queen. and now i lov ethem even more than i used to becausse Bohemian Rhapsody reminds me of band camp. they played it at our dance.
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
July 11th, 2007 at 07:37am
Queen is everywhere really, people just don't know it. Like the other day, my friends and I were watching Happy Feet and they sing Somebody to Love. And I casually mention it's Queen, and they're were like, "OH REALLY?!" XD
secret_goldfish
Shotgun Sinner
secret_goldfish
July 11th, 2007 at 08:43pm
freddie mercury is amazing. i love tie your mother down. wolfmother seems so unoriginal after listening to it.
joni.
Shotgun Sinner
joni.
July 15th, 2007 at 12:53pm
One of my favorite bands.
Freddie was amazing
RIP♥
Pencey Prep.
Killjoy
Pencey Prep.
July 28th, 2007 at 10:31pm
TheMysteriousThug:
Man...I wish someone could revive people from the dead. Who knows what kind of music Queen could be making now.
I could only imagine how brilliant it would be.

I love Queen. They were such an amazing band and yea, it is a shame that they have almost become unknown.