Don't have an account? Create one!

Today's society and our generation.

AuthorMessage
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
April 29th, 2007 at 09:26pm
lazy sod:
To be honest, I absolutely hate this generation. Most people are unbelievably ignorant and only care about themselves. Getting what the want when they want it has made them selfish and stupid. The next generation will have to clean up our mess - and they won't, because they'll be even worse than we are.

Yes cause slavery definitely doesn't go against that whole hub-bub at all!

I also think it's unfair to compare generations like that, cause times always change things... as well as huge events.

It's not so much ignorance, but as to what is accepted. People accepted slavery; while others did not.

Hitler slaughtered millions of jewish people, and many accepted it.

So ignorance isn't something that's just of this generalization; it's of each single one.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 30th, 2007 at 07:46pm
LifeOnStandby:
lazy sod:
To be honest, I absolutely hate this generation. Most people are unbelievably ignorant and only care about themselves. Getting what the want when they want it has made them selfish and stupid. The next generation will have to clean up our mess - and they won't, because they'll be even worse than we are.

Yes cause slavery definitely doesn't go against that whole hub-bub at all!

I also think it's unfair to compare generations like that, cause times always change things... as well as huge events.

It's not so much ignorance, but as to what is accepted. People accepted slavery; while others did not.

Hitler slaughtered millions of jewish people, and many accepted it.

So ignorance isn't something that's just of this generalization; it's of each single one.

conversely, in every generation there have been people calling these things--slavery, the haulocaust, and so on-- ignorant and wrong. and if it weren't for them, it's not a stretch of the imagination to consider that these things could have gone on much longer.
map_of_the_world
Thinking Happy Thoughts
map_of_the_world
May 1st, 2007 at 02:05am
People say that teens are stuck-up, Paris Hilton wannabes, but not all of us are though. It depends on the person. Everyone`s different. I tthink that my generation they are always saying that you have to be "perfect". I mean, what is perfect? In some parts we get it easier. Well, I still play with friends in the streets, even though I`m 14. The reason about the epidemic is because there is so much technology now and thats overtaken our lives.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
November 20th, 2009 at 12:42pm
I think this is a very vain generation that enjoys the fruitfulness of what they have, but they are vain. They're soft. Some kids don't seem to realize that what they ahve now is the product of many years worth of progression. They complain when they have to fill out a packet in school, but how would they like having to work in coal mines 100 years back? But that's not the case with all people. It matters on the indviduals. where I am kids are fairly progressive and tolerable. I don't have any emos where I am, but that whole thing with this generation does seem pretty soft. After all.....COAL MINE!!!! I think I'd have a good reason to talk about hardships if that was my situation, or if I had cancer or HIV or hepatitus, or if I was crippled, or if I had any other kind of complicated situation like that.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
November 21st, 2009 at 05:06pm
I think society today is going completely downhill. We've created this idea that people should be able to do whatever they want. We keep being told that the more and more behavior we accept, the better things will become for everyone, yet things just keep getting worse. We would like to think that this "lets do whatever makes us feel good" attitude is going to make us all happier, and then when people end up even more confused they wonder why.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 22nd, 2009 at 11:29am
I think the younger generation, while being extremely influenced by the social environment they grow up with, have a lot of potential to change that or make it work to their advantage. It's all in the choices they make, and those choices are a reflection of their character as well. And maybe we'll be the ones to makeover the world into something fair and equal, and maybe we'll be a "lost generation", but my point is, we all have the power to change it.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
November 23rd, 2009 at 12:57pm
with all of the freedom to choose these days, and with people coming to their senses I think racially this is a better generation. There's more biracial couples. People have the potential to do what they want. There's plenty of sympathy in the world so we can mold ourselves into whatever we want.

we do have the power to change it, but with the bunch of idiots who exist today sometimes I think that maybe they'll become old and it'll become seemingly too late for them to really do anything once they become a little wiser. I mostly mean intellectually. People are laying back and not really doing anything. Science and math are what make up life, and, a lot of kids don't really take academics seriously. Getting educated is the difference between being a peasant and not being one, working in a coal mine and not, being able to support yourself if you get seriously ill as an adult, and possibly finding a cure for something. America may be a world power, but that's not because of their intelligence. It's because we could produce a lot of food. Other countries are doing well or better than america because of their intelligence.The only way to ever really better yourself is knowledge and education, and if you're 14, where else would you be other than school? a shit job for the next 50 years? kids don't seem to take this into account, and they think that have better things to do.

I think there's a certain structure that some kids need that's lacking these days because of a lack of hardships with some people. SOme people don't think it's their business to do work.

What I've realized is that the adults from places like the middle east, India, and south of the American border are cooler and more humble (ESPECIALLY those immigrant hispanic people), but their kids who have grown up in America are douchier.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
November 23rd, 2009 at 06:07pm
questionable content:
And maybe we'll be the ones to makeover the world into something fair and equal, and maybe we'll be a "lost generation", but my point is, we all have the power to change it.

The problem is that we all have a different opinion on what needs to change for this world to be a better place.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 23rd, 2009 at 08:54pm
LunacyFringe:

The problem is that we all have a different opinion on what needs to change for this world to be a better place.

When has that ever stopped anyone from changing the world? Like, scientific discoveries-- barely anyone agreed with Copernicus when he said the Earth revolved around the Sun, but in time, his theory was accepted and something must have changed in the people to make them accept that, and the end result of that was the scientific revolution, the enlightenment, and now, democracy or at least freedom of speech and the press in many countries.
We're better off now than five hundred years ago, and my point is, even if people don't always agree on what the best course of action is, we all want the world to be a better place...and that want sometimes gets turned into action, and when you multiply the actions of the 6 billion+ people, that's change.

Darkromance, there are definitely people who take their academics seriously. They will most likely be the ones who will get the better jobs and improve society. Maybe this is just my school, but from my experience, most of the kids care about their grades and their future. They have ambitions, like a doctor or a vet or anything else that they're trying for. Maybe it's peer pressure to succeed in school, but they actually try in school. But yes, there are always slackers, but that doesn't mean that they won't change or that there will be something they can do with their lives. They could come up with something really innovative if the general curriculum in school isn't what interests them. They could still go to college and become an accountant or a business person. Interest in school is a factor in how successful you will be in the future, but I don't think it's the only one.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
November 23rd, 2009 at 09:40pm
How does scientific discovery, in your argument, evolve into human rights (freedom of speech/press)? I see them as two different entities.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
November 23rd, 2009 at 11:06pm
I mean more in the terms of things like homosexual rights, abortion, stem cell research, etc.

Some people think that allowing all of those things will make the world a better place, and some think that those things are wrong and will make things worse. Im not here to argue whether those things are right or wrong, but where do we go and what will we do when we all have very different opinions on what will make things better for humanity?
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
November 24th, 2009 at 01:10pm
questionable content:
LunacyFringe:

When has that ever stopped anyone from changing the world? Like, scientific discoveries-- barely anyone agreed with Copernicus when he said the Earth revolved around the Sun, but in time, his theory was accepted and something must have changed in the people to make them accept that, and the end result of that was the scientific revolution, the enlightenment, and now, democracy or at least freedom of speech and the press in many countries.
We're better off now than five hundred years ago, and my point is, even if people don't always agree on what the best course of action is, we all want the world to be a better place...and that want sometimes gets turned into action, and when you multiply the actions of the 6 billion+ people, that's change.

Darkromance, there are definitely people who take their academics seriously. They will most likely be the ones who will get the better jobs and improve society. Maybe this is just my school, but from my experience, most of the kids care about their grades and their future. They have ambitions, like a doctor or a vet or anything else that they're trying for. Maybe it's peer pressure to succeed in school, but they actually try in school. But yes, there are always slackers, but that doesn't mean that they won't change or that there will be something they can do with their lives. They could come up with something really innovative if the general curriculum in school isn't what interests them. They could still go to college and become an accountant or a business person. Interest in school is a factor in how successful you will be in the future, but I don't think it's the only one.

yeeeah now that I've thought about it i take that comment back. I was thinking of some people who I know, how some people were in the past, and who I've seen. Wasn't thinking of anybody else. Rolling Eyes In Love
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 10:47am
In my opinion, I think the amount of technology we have nowadays has affected our generation.
Television and computers being a huge part of everyone's lives now is, i think a factor in the obesity rise. Also, I think the internet has affected us too. Social networking sites have affected social activity, people don't need to go out and spend time with their friends, they can use a messenger or networking site.
Don't get me wrong, i could go on for ages about the advantages of the internet, and technology itself. But it has a negative side.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
November 26th, 2009 at 11:17am
Darkromance:

yeeeah now that I've thought about it i take that comment back. I was thinking of some people who I know, how some people were in the past, and who I've seen. Wasn't thinking of anybody else. Rolling Eyes In Love

Hey, don't worry about it, even though I don't agree, I can definitely see where you're coming from.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
December 21st, 2009 at 01:22pm
paul mcchristmas.:
In my opinion, I think the amount of technology we have nowadays has affected our generation.
Television and computers being a huge part of everyone's lives now is, i think a factor in the obesity rise. Also, I think the internet has affected us too. Social networking sites have affected social activity, people don't need to go out and spend time with their friends, they can use a messenger or networking site.
Don't get me wrong, i could go on for ages about the advantages of the internet, and technology itself. But it has a negative side.

Agreed. There's a book out called "The Dumbest Generation", and its basically about how technology is turning this generation into a bunch of idiots. I haven't read it, but we talked about it in my sociology class, and the book uses legit research, its not just purely opinion.

But whether or not you agree with it, I suppose is up to you. Personally I think our generation gets a bad rap. There are a lot of teenagers who aren't too bright, but then think about the amount of adults out there who are idiots. It goes both ways.

Technology has certainly defined our generation. To a certain extent it has made us lazy, but also resourceful. I think kids today are quick and to the point, with things such as school. They want to get things done NOW, and with the least amount of effort possible to get the end result. And technology is partly to blame for this.

Having said that, there are a lot of really bright kids out there. And the thing that I like best about our generation is that we are one of the most accepting and liberal generations yet. Of course people are generally more liberal when they are younger, but researchers are predicting that our generation will possibly stay as liberal as we are now, which I think is probably the most promising thing about our generation.
MCRmusicmonster
Really Not Okay
MCRmusicmonster
December 21st, 2009 at 02:38pm
I think that society and our generation is lazy and self-absorbed but I don't think it's because of us. Everyone is trying to make everything better and eaiser and it's just making everything worse. Everyone is sitting at home playing video games or getting drunk/high and talking about what they are going to do when back in the day they didn't talk about it. They did it. And that's the driffrence. That's why this generation is lazy and fat, because all we know how to do is TALK.
a touch of anarchy.
Shotgun Sinner
a touch of anarchy.
December 22nd, 2009 at 06:15pm
I don't see why people are saying bad things about our generation. If you are saying that we (a word that seems to be lacking) are lazy and whatever, you are calling yourself that. So you really think you are lazy, fat, and all you do is sit around and play video games, ot get high?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
December 23rd, 2009 at 12:36am
a touch of christmas:
I don't see why people are saying bad things about our generation. If you are saying that we (a word that seems to be lacking) are lazy and whatever, you are calling yourself that. So you really think you are lazy, fat, and all you do is sit around and play video games, ot get high?

Maybe not literally, but yes, I could see that many people are aware they're including themselves in that statement, as well as friends and family. I don't understand why that is hard to believe.
Pansy Wayero
Jazz Hands
Pansy Wayero
January 13th, 2010 at 12:31pm
personally i feel that society has kind of given up on the future generations. im 19 and supposedly im the next generation but already im lookin at my neice and sayin that shes the next generation. there is more pressure on people of my generation to clean up the mess the last generation made now.also our society has become semi dependant on machines, (coffee machine? i means wats wrong with making it the old fashioned way?) thats a rubbish example. but also obesity is on the rise due to a lack of interest in exercise and healthy eatin coz so many shops are promotin food that is unhealthy altho they r tryin to cut the salt down in food now. political correctness is drivin me up the wall because of how silly it is gettin and also it takes up a lot of police time coz they have to do courses in political correctness to learn that if i am a victim of a crime i cannot be called a victim i must be called a customer or sumfin like dat. and video games help to distract some people from exercise. no one seems to care nowadays