Don't have an account? Create one!

Faith Schools

AuthorMessage
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
January 1st, 2007 at 02:44am
I go to a Catholic school where a lot of the students are even Catholic.
I don't think it matters whether or not you have to be that particular religion to go to a school. But I think it's important for parents and their child to understand that if they go to that school, religious education is compulsory.
If you don't want to be subjected to religion, then don't go to a religious school.
Simple as that.
IHATECHU
Killjoy
IHATECHU
January 1st, 2007 at 02:49am
Nieeh...I Dont Really Care.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
January 1st, 2007 at 02:58am
Well, that was a fairly pointless post.
Only post if you have an opinion worth discussing.
=)
geradsredskittle666
Really Not Okay
geradsredskittle666
January 1st, 2007 at 06:11am
i think faith schools are just a place for stupid parents to send there kids to be brainwashed. Thats just me. i think that sending your child to a cathlic school if your not cathlic is a pretty pointless idea.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
January 1st, 2007 at 06:43am
geradsredskittle666:
i think faith schools are just a place for stupid parents to send there kids to be brainwashed. Thats just me. i think that sending your child to a cathlic school if your not cathlic is a pretty pointless idea.

Why do you think that?
What about parents' concerns about their child having a sound education, in a reliable, successful school?
the_Saminator
Thinking Happy Thoughts
the_Saminator
January 1st, 2007 at 04:32pm
I go to a faith school, it's a lutheran school I'm not lutheran, heck I don't even believe in God neither does my best friend and there is also this muslim (is that how it's spelled?) girl in my classso I guess it doesn't matter what faith you are even though you're in a faith school.
PunkerThanThou
Thinking Happy Thoughts
PunkerThanThou
January 1st, 2007 at 04:37pm
Go to a Jewish school, it sucks, we have 10 classes a day and get out at 6 PM, work is outrageous. I go back tomorrow. /End rant. DO NOT GO THERE XD

Should faith schools only include people from that particular faith?
...Uhm...And...why would a Catholica go to a Jewish school? o_O; If you really were that interested, convert to the religion- I do however see the point now, considering a ton of people go to Catholic schools who aren't REALLY Catholic. It really depends- with Catholic schools and such, there's a larger percentage of those than Jewish schools, for instance- so, no, a non-Jew really shouldn't be going to a Jewish school- why would you want to anyways?

Should they be private or comprehensive schools? (I can't remember what the American equivalent of a comprehensive is.)- Public school, you mean? They couldn't be public- they'd have to conform to separation of church and state- although I know of some public schools in the Bible Belt that do have mass, regardless of the church and state rule.
for the win.
Awake and Unafraid
for the win.
January 1st, 2007 at 05:55pm
i go to an all-girls catholic high school, and i love it. i am catholic, but not all of the students [or teachers] there are. the faith is most definitely not shoved down our throats, but we do have a faith class for each grade level. i'm a freshman and i'm in christian faith, and i think basically the whole faith background is there to help guide students to make good choices or something. i think "christian school" would be a better title for my school, but meh, we'll live.
dexter morgan.
Banned
dexter morgan.
January 2nd, 2007 at 01:27am
The only thing I have to say is Catholic or religious schools may be safer. Like as in less bullies and such, because you have to pay a lot of money to go to them. At least, that's what my history teacher says.
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with them, though. If you really want to attend one, and you aren't forced to go to that school, it's fine. If your a big fan of religion, or like to have friends that are only Catholic or Christian and whatnot, go for it. It's all about free will.
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
January 6th, 2007 at 04:58am
I go to a Catholic school and, to be honest, it's not much different to if I went to a non-faith school. Not all my friends are Catholic and it's not rammed down our throats.

The only differences are that we have the option to go to mass every Friday but, as I said, this is only an option so people who are not of the faith don't have to go. We also have to take religious education as a GCSE.

I think it's ok to go to a faith school no matter what you believe in as long as you respect the fact that the school will teach the values of that faith.
xFallingPunkx
Fabulous Killjoy
xFallingPunkx
January 6th, 2007 at 01:55pm
I go to a mennonite school and there are people of all faiths there. We have buddhists (spelling?), atheists, catholics and my school is very accepting of the people with these faiths, because as long as they are willing to take the faith classes that they are required to take then its all good.

I'm not Mennonite, i actually dont really know waht i am but its deffinetly not mennonite i was raised catholic and my parents sent me to this school be cause of the drama and music programs it had. So whats wrong with sending the child to a school that has a good reputation?
malibu.
In the Cannibal Glow
malibu.
January 6th, 2007 at 11:39pm
I used to go to a christian school, like no-body there is christian theyr all there because its girls only and if you go there everyone automatically thinks your rich.
I think you should only be allowed into a religeous skool if you ARE religeous or from a religeous family because nobody listens to the preaching and stuff and I guess it would be hard on the religeous kids because they wouldnt have anyone to share with.
SFXtra
Motor Baby
SFXtra
January 7th, 2007 at 12:07pm
I go to an international Prep school.
We don't have R.E because there are people from all religions. We do learn about the most common religions in history class though.
Theatre Techie
Killjoy
Theatre Techie
March 25th, 2007 at 05:05pm
I lived in CA for my elementary school years. I went to a private school that was Lutheran. I am not a Lutheran, but I am a Methodist which is pretty similar, so I didn't mind. When I moved to Las Vegas just before the 6th grade my parents decided to put me into a public school. I found out that I had actually been a year ahead in my education at my private school because everything I learned in the 6th grade I already knew. Some of the text books were even the same. So I know I was getting a good education in the private school. I also kind of miss the Christian part of it. I don't go to church like I should, so I miss learning about Christianity.
am_I_OK?
Killjoy
am_I_OK?
May 21st, 2007 at 08:13am
I completely respect people who go to a specific school because of their religion,
But main-stream schools who aren't even religious try and make their pupils believe in god when they go that school to try and escape it! I understans that some christians go to the main-stream skools because they have no other school to go to, but then evryone else in that school has to go to services and go through to assembelies (sp?) and their not even religious! The government are turning evryone into the same person! I think that religion is the root of all evil, so why do they want to treat me like a christian? Once again, I have COMPLETE respect for all christians (I'm friends with loads of 'em) but I hope you understand my point of view.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 21st, 2007 at 10:01pm
Our Avenged Jules:
geradsredskittle666:

Why do you think that?
What about parents' concerns about their child having a sound education, in a reliable, successful school?
I can't speak for overseas schools, but since when did public schools do a lesser job of educating students than Catholic schools? I agree with redskittles - sending kids to a faith school is akin to brainwashing. There are plenty of public schools out there that do just as good a job, if not a better one, of teaching children. There's no real need to specifically send your kid to a private (pretty much all 'private' schools in Australia are religious ones) school unless you're of that faith, and even then, I believe that religion has no place in education. Parents who want their kids to follow their faith can easily take them to church.

My parents always scoffed at parents who sent their kids to private schools, especially when the parents weren't particularly religious themselves, they were just (wrongly) convinced that their children were getting a better education than those in public schools. For instance, the high school I went to had up-to-date, modern textbooks, enough computers to go around, and plenty of subjects to choose from... meanwhile, the most popular private school (Chanel College) had textbooks from the 1980's, and only enough to share one between two or three students, only two classrooms with computers, and a very limited curriculum - and the funny thing was, this school not only had government funding, but the school fees paid by parents were absolutely exorbitant. I felt incredibly confident that I was getting a much better education at a public school than any Chanel student could hope for.
Besides, in my experience, private schools breed snobbery - these kids are brainwashed (whether it be by their shallow parents, teachers or other students) into believing that anybody attending a public school is a compelte loser, whose parents have no money, and we're all pretty much unwashed morons who can't afford to eat. My next-door neighbour attended private school and she constantly looked down on me and my family because we didn't 'have the privileges' that she had - a brand-new car every two years, a pool in the backyard, and designer clothes.
What a loser. Meanwhile, I had enough knowledge to go to university, whereas she graduated with screw-all on her report card because the school had no resources with which to educate their students.. just plenty of Bibles and raving nuns to force Catholicism down the students' throats.
voice4mygeneration65
Jazz Hands
voice4mygeneration65
May 21st, 2007 at 10:33pm
I went to catholic preochial school from k-2nd grade. I was the resident bad ass I guess as according to my teachers and principle. (She was a nun that had a hunchback. Sweet lady, but strict)
vampires_hurt_me
Fabulous Killjoy
vampires_hurt_me
May 22nd, 2007 at 12:00am
Private schools period are pretty hit-or-miss, and religious schools are no different. I don't really have a problem with them.

And yes, there is a reason to go to a religious school if you aren't religious; you can actually learn about religion and better understand what you aren't a part of and why others worship it, which also will help you when discussing it; after just one year of Theology classes (that's what we call them at my school), I already know more than a lot of my friends who describe themselves as "really religious and in touch with God".

Also, the public schools in my area suck (they're dominated by overly academically-competitive kids with no lives, and the administrations are full of morons), so there's an academic benefit as well.
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
May 22nd, 2007 at 04:20am
Well, in my country, the best schools (when i say best schools i mean if you are an alumni from that school, you get better chances of landing a job) are catholic schools. I go to an all-girls catholic school. Mostly people associate you as being rich, classy and smart (people only think i am but i'm not) so many parents want their daughters to go to my school. Although my school is catholic, many students there are non-catholics, like buddists, muslims, etc. Non-catholic practices are respected there. The religion isn't shoved at our throats. But my school is weird in the sense that sex ed is called teenstar. go figure
xhdeepx
Really Not Okay
xhdeepx
May 22nd, 2007 at 07:15am
hmm there were a few religions mentioned in previous posts that id never heard of, like wiccan or mennonite (sp?)

at the secondary school i went to we had r.e. once a week, and we were taught about all kinda of religions, but it was more discussions, as opposed to "this is what you should believe"

in scotland and england just now, the only people who (i think) really want serparate schools because of their religion are muslims.
im not a muslim, before anyone asks, im a sikh - theyre very different religions!!