Don't have an account? Create one!

Politics

AuthorMessage
Lolita.
Shotgun Sinner
Lolita.
November 28th, 2007 at 05:28am
When i was young my parents ran a pub in Redfern, so since that experience my mother has constantly drilled into me that they deserve no apology.
Some of them just use their heritage as an excuse for their bad behaviour, when others go out and make good lives for themselves.

I don't think John Howard deserved to lose his seat. That was a little harsh. He still did a lot of good things for this country.
If he had of retired eighteen months ago it would have been a more dignified affair, i think.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
November 28th, 2007 at 05:42am
Lily.:

Some of them just use their heritage as an excuse for their bad behaviour, when others go out and make good lives for themselves.

I agree 100%
It's not their heritage that stops them from doing things, it's themselves.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
November 28th, 2007 at 05:51am
There's a vast majority who abuse it, but then there's others who still do suffer because of their heritage. Example, my mum's best friend in high school (mind you, this was only a touch over 20 years ago) was removed from her Aboriginal community as a child and placed into the same orphanage as my mum, made to grow up in a white society her whole life. Once she turned 16, they threw her back into the Aboriginal community. She didn't know how to live life like her ancestors, she'd grown up living just how we do. It screwed her up. Big time. She ended up committing suicide.

People say that we shouldn't apologise because it's not our generation that fucked things up. Well the generation that did that to Laurie was the generation above ours, so that blows that theory.
Lolita.
Shotgun Sinner
Lolita.
November 28th, 2007 at 06:24am
Saying sorry won't change how they act.

Everything will still be the white man's fault.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
November 28th, 2007 at 06:45am
Of course not. But to the families who have been affected by it, you can't put into words how much an apology would mean to them.

It's just a shame that the vast majority makes their race look bad.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
November 28th, 2007 at 08:06am
I think you're generalizing. If your mother owned a pub, then logically the people who go into the pub won't exactly be the prime example of great citizens.
You could make the same generalization about white males, saying they're all drunks and racists. This isn't true.
You are using the minority to judge a vast group of people, which is unfair.
Being drunk and disorderly has nothing to do with heritage, it's about education.
If these people don't have that education, are always sniffing petrol and getting high, then they don't know any different.

On 60 Minutes a few months back, they had a story about this 17 year old Aboriginal boy who raped a 10 year old Aboriginal boy and when they asked him if he had been raped by another man, he said yes.
These vicious cycles don't fix themselves. This can also be applied to the case of drunk, drugged and disorderly Indigenous people.

There is a massive generalisation by so many people. THAT is what needs to be apologised for as well.

Lolita.
Shotgun Sinner
Lolita.
November 28th, 2007 at 11:57am
My point was, she DID see the worst of them, but also living in an area heavily populated by Aboriginal people we met some great people who have been able to just get on with things.

A lot of them use their heritage as an excuse for bad behaviour.
And White people don't go around using the fact that their ancestors were unfairly sent here as convicts as an excuse for alcoholism. I know it isnt the same thing, but still.

It's our decisions in life that shape who we are.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
November 29th, 2007 at 11:10am
I agree with you, but by simply saying 'they don't disserve an apology' does not help anything.
Sure, there are people in society who act in ways are not considered to be appropriate, but I would like to know if such prejudice is really made against all drunks and addicts, or just indigenous ones.
That is part of the injustice. It's not simply because they were here first, they disserve a "heads up man, sorry for that shit before" and it's not solely about being racist and not being racist. Aboriginal mothers were considered to be unfit to raise THEIR OWN children in the 1950s. That is the biggest injustice, not only for indigenous Australians, but for females and mothers in general.
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 10th, 2007 at 03:47am
i am actually really glad kevin rudd won

and i am happy that he is going to allow the civil unions laws in the ACT

*leaves now before people start abusing me*
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 10th, 2007 at 06:51pm
i dont know if this has anything to do wioth politics, but WHAT THE FUCK was with the racist bitch judge who said that the poor 10 yr old aboriginal girl probabaly agreed to have sex with all the men who raped her.
SHE WAS RAPED! they confessed!

stupid bitch.
Lolita.
Shotgun Sinner
Lolita.
December 10th, 2007 at 11:18pm
^ Thats was the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. (The story, i mean.)
She is ten years old, for fucks sake.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
December 11th, 2007 at 12:30am
Apart from being ridiculous on a moral ground, it is on a legal ground. I mean, consensual or not, having sex with anyone if you're 16 and under is rape.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 11th, 2007 at 12:34am

Exactly.

And they were all given suspended sentences, wtf?
That's absolutely crazy.
There was what, 9 of them (I think, I can't remember exactly), and they raped a 10 year old. She wouldn't have stood a chance of getting away from them. It's so fucking low.
Rape on it's own is absolutely horrible in my opinion, but to gang rape a child? That is pretty much the lowest a person (/people) can get.
matfew churlz sanduz
Shotgun Sinner
matfew churlz sanduz
December 12th, 2007 at 04:41am
I actually cannot string the words together, to show how idiodic that is.
I mean, quite clearly this judge is not in the right frame of mind to be doing her so called job.
What the hell is happening to our world?
When a group of men in our society not only commit a crime against such a young and innocent child, but also admit to it and then are let off?
Where is there any kind of justice system?
I'm sorry, but that woman should be hung. People like that are not worth living in our world. We don't need another Adolf Hitler, so do us all a favour and go drink some turpentine.
Muffin Top
Jazz Hands
Muffin Top
December 13th, 2007 at 11:50pm
She probably "agreed" cos she was scared and was probs a bit messed up anyway from being raped...didn't they say she was raped twice?? How could u just rape and innocent child just so u could get ur jollies....seriously these men are sick and giving them suspended sentences just means they are going back to the same place.......how many young children have to suffer before justice is served.

I think the law systems these days are only there to protect the criminal and not the victims. It just makes me so mad.

Btw i agree with everything u have said Lily
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 14th, 2007 at 01:32am
yeah, it was revealed she was raped when she was seven too.

its disgustiong. im so glad those two child services people were stuck on desk jobs. they should be fired though.
Muffin Top
Jazz Hands
Muffin Top
December 14th, 2007 at 09:53pm
yer imagine how mentally disturbed that child must be....being raped twice sometimes i really wonder wat this world is coming to. yer they should be fired.
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 19th, 2007 at 04:20am
that story was the most disgusting thing ever
talk about racism-
even more so because they confessed

anyone else hear about kevin rudd being instrumental [suppssedly though probs from a bias source] in helping make america agree to emissions targets? does anyone know anymore? i am pretty sure the canberra times is pretty bias
Morreh the Animal
Joining The Black Parade
Morreh the Animal
December 26th, 2007 at 04:18am
It doesn't give a lot of hope towards the justice system...................................

Kevin '07 was seriously the best thing to happen to Australia's politics in the 21st centuary. Julia Gillard stepping in as acting PM, and being the first female (acting) PM is pretty legendary too.
*has Kevin '07 shirt*.
anyway....
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 27th, 2007 at 04:31am
i hate how kevin has to clean up after john howards aboriginal communties DIASTEROUS MESS