Don't have an account? Create one!

Asylums

AuthorMessage
xXEmo_MCR_Vampire.x3
Really Not Okay
xXEmo_MCR_Vampire.x3
December 22nd, 2006 at 09:42am
I've herd about asylums... and wow. It really opened my eyes and showed me what these people are going through seems so much larger than my problem to cut. They are/were treated so horrible. In the 1800's, Nelly Bly was a famous muckracker (A person who finds out something no one knows about) She pretended to be insane to get into an asylum and see just how bad patients were treated. When she got into the asylum, she was beaten and given 10 ice baths within 2 days. Sure, asylums HAVE changed abit, but still does anybody know what they do to them? So, what do you think:

1. Should these poor people be abused like they are?
2. Should they be treated with medicine, and all the help needed or should they be left to fend for themselves.
3. Are straight jackets good or bad?

There's alot more things to ask, but basically, what are your ideas on this topic?
Jeffree Star
Motor Baby
Jeffree Star
December 22nd, 2006 at 04:06pm
I think whatever that person needs to be cured should be given. BUt They shouldn't be abused in the process. That just makes it worse, they need loving and care not physical abuse. I study psychology and that's not the right aproach.
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
December 22nd, 2006 at 10:33pm
Should these poor people be abused like they are?
Asylums have changed since the 1800's, and yes they were treated horribly but it was because they were different. Being different was very bad in the 1800's and individuality was not really appreciated. From what I know of, no one is abused in asylums anymore, but actually get the help they need.

Should they be treated with medicine, and all the help needed or should they be left to fend for themselves.
Depends on their illness, if they are well enough to take care of themselves then leave them alone. If not, they need to receive help.

Are straight jackets good or bad?
If the person is willing to hurt themselves, or others, then yes. They are a good thing, that's the whole point of a straight jacket, not to torture people.
applerubber
Really Not Okay
applerubber
December 26th, 2006 at 08:47am
I remember watching a not unlike sherlock holmes movie, I can't remember what they're called. But they did give steam baths and ice baths. They claimed it was to chase away illnesses. But then again, it was made to be in the olden days, where doctors of medicine were ignorant of many things we know now.
In the middle ages, Bipolar Disorder was not fully discovered and understood yet, so it frightened people. They used to dunk people in hot water to chase away depression, and dunk them in cold water to relieve their manic behavior. Now it's better understood, so perhaps the torture has finally stopped. =)
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
December 28th, 2006 at 04:10pm
If they are getting help, I don't see anything bad with it. The torturing seems like it happened w*y back in time.
Straightjackets, I agree with Atari__. They're not meant to torture people, but to keep them from hurting others, andor themselves.
:]
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
January 15th, 2007 at 01:03am
blackroses92:
wow that's terrible. things like that cannot be cured by that manner. that torture needs to stop because they are still people.

That 'torture' does not exist anymore.
the.sound.of.black
Jazz Hands
the.sound.of.black
January 15th, 2007 at 05:40am
The purpose of straight jackets would be so a person can't hurt them selves or anyone else and so they can't really go anywhere. So yeah, if your in that position they are good for that purpose.

Some people need to be medicated because they have a severe mental illness and eg. schizophrenia.
The Rumor
Awake and Unafraid
The Rumor
January 15th, 2007 at 08:34am
as far as medication goes, admittedly some needs to be taken, i.e. for bipolar disorder and the like. to control a person so that they dont hurt themselves or anyone around them and so that they are generally happier. but i personally dont like the idea of anti-depressants. admittedly for some people maybe they work, but they just aren't for me.

i have had quite a few friends who have been in asylums, some liked it there, it made them feel safe. but more often than not the people i talked to absolutely hated them. much because they didnt want to get better. and if someone doesnt want to recover, you cant force them.
i dont think asylums are a bad thing, but only if the person is willing to go. no one should be forced to go to one, it always should be a choice. because it can put a reaaally bad spin on getting better to the point that it prolongs the illness.
H e l e n a
Killjoy
H e l e n a
January 15th, 2007 at 02:17pm
Should these poor people be abused like they are?
Asylums have changed since the 1800's. They wouldn't let people be abused like that today.

Should they be treated with medicine, and all the help needed or should they be left to fend for themselves.
They should reicieve help in needed, if they can do it themselves why should other people wait on them hand and foot?

Are straight jackets good or bad?
In my opinion they are good if a person really needs restrained. It's not like they put straight jackets on people who don't really need them.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
January 17th, 2007 at 09:00am
honestly it depends. there's a really great mental institution near where i live where patients get very good treatment--i've had a few friends and family members who have gone there, and it greatly improved their various illnesses.

but in a lot of other countries...did you know that in some orphanages and institutions in eastern europe, they still use cage beds? yes, the things from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. they keep people, adults and children, in cages. and there's an old mental institution here that's never been torn down that's rumored to be terribly haunted because of the things that went on there.

i don't know if anyone does/researches urban ex, but i was on a site once where some people were exploring the catacombs under a mental institution...it was horrific. dude people were less patients and more prisoners there. and though it's changed here there are still a lot of backwards practices in the mental health world elsewhere.
Odalisque
Always Born a Crime
Odalisque
January 17th, 2007 at 09:52pm
Hmmm. Yeah, I've recently written an entire novel about a corrupt asylum (circa 1951). There was heavy use with sedatives in the 50's, which was very wrong.

My father worked at a mental institution when I was younger, and he used to see a lot of abuse towards the patients. Unfortunately, when he stood up for the patients he was fired.

Asylums have gone through many changes. There are many more limits to how poorly you can treat a patient, and conditions have gotten better.
However, I think many mentally ill patients are being patronized for something they are unable to help. I do believe that they should get help. Refusing them treatment just for their own freedom is almost negligence.

Straightjackets are important in some situations for everyone's safety, including the patient's. My father worked with a patient once who liked to eat still-lit cigarette butts, and was very violent whenever someone tried to stop him from his habit. Sometimes, the patient needed to be restrained for his safety and for others'. Of course, the use of straightjackets usually is a temporary treatment, much like "The Quiet Room" (a.k.a. the room with all the padding and sound-proof walls). The staff doesn't keep a patient locked in that room, in a straightjacket, for the rest of their life, much like what we see on TV.

Of course, there are many injustices to the system. But, I believe, most of it is unstoppable. I believe in treatment for a mentally ill patient, and that proper safety precautions still should be taken, but there is a point where the system can go too far. These patients are human, and they should be treated that way.

::EDIT::

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I think it's something that needs to be discussed, and not ignored.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
January 18th, 2007 at 08:48am
exactly.
i've been trying to track down this link for a while...some urban explorers broke into an old mental institution and here's the journal/photos of the mission...it's really, really creepy.
[i wouldn't consider this spam/off topic because even though it's written by a bunch of people who pretty much broke into the old buildings...they were there, there's photographic proof of just how...nightmarish that place must have been.

http://www.actionsquad.org/mental.html
Optimistic Pessimist
Motor Baby
Optimistic Pessimist
February 4th, 2007 at 06:25pm
In my opinion, Asylums are really nothing more than a place to withold people who are insane so that they don't cause any harm to themselves or any one around them. However, the abuse that is given to them may seem neccesary, but it is the least bit. It doesn't help them to calm down or anything, but it only makes them worse because of the trauma that they're going though. Straight jackets are a completely different story, true, they hold someone back from doing something harmful, but when someone in an asylum is forced to wear one, most of the time they get scared and try to get out of it. We're brought up to think that these things are supposed to be helpful, but if you look at it from a different perspective they only make matters worse
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 5th, 2007 at 06:23pm
Apparently asylums are now known as psychiatric wards.
I've been the psych hospital 6 times.

I was verbally abused by one of the nurses, but other than that I never saw abuse at the three hospitals I was at.

2. Should they be treated with medicine, and all the help needed or should they be left to fend for themselves.
A hospital is meant to help people, so yes they should be treated with medicine [unless they deny it, which is their right] and given psychiatric help. People go to these hospitals for a reason.

When used correctly, good.
I've only know of one person the multiple times I was in the hospital who was put in one. He was screaming, fighting, and trying to attack the nurses. They put him in a straight jacket and sedated him.
It was quite necessary.
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
February 5th, 2007 at 07:15pm

1. I am against the way patients are treated in many asylums. (Like in the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.) The treatments used are horrible electro-shock therapy. The conditions these people are staying under make them insane and make their conditions mentally worse.
2. If a person needs medicine to function normally and if they need it to that point, then medication is fine with me. Some people really can't fend for themselves. It depends on the situation.
3. I am a bit iffy on straight jackets. Yes, they control a violent person who is out of control but it is a bad idea to keep them cooped up in a straight jacket for a long time.
Adora Angel
In The Murder Scene
Adora Angel
February 6th, 2007 at 05:47pm
Give Them Blood:
3. I am a bit iffy on straight jackets. Yes, they control a violent person who is out of control but it is a bad idea to keep them cooped up in a straight jacket for a long time.[/b]

I'm a little on edge with that, what do you mean exactly?
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
February 6th, 2007 at 06:38pm
I meant that people use straight jackets when people become very violent. Honestly I'm not sure if they are good or bad so I said whatever came out for that one. I hope it didn't bug anybody.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
February 6th, 2007 at 06:43pm
A straight jacket is a way of restraining a person in such a way
as to not physically harm them while stopping them from being able to harm themselves
or others. It is easy on the joints, does not restrict the respiratory system or blood flow,
is more effective and more humane than handcuffs, more healthy than sedatives,
and is generally a very good approach when faced with a violent patient.

They are not kept in them for days and days, only until they are calm and workable.
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
February 6th, 2007 at 07:04pm
That's the much better way of how I wanted to put my answer...thank you for clearing me up on straight jackets.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
February 6th, 2007 at 07:10pm
No problem.
Asylums these days are actually not the horror movies they once were.
Everything is done as cleanly, efficiently, and humanely as possible.