Don't have an account? Create one!

Asylums

AuthorMessage
Quinn Allman
Salute You in Your Grave
Quinn Allman
February 6th, 2007 at 07:17pm
That's very good to hear that it's better than the hell it was before.
xXDr. KrazyXx
Fabulous Killjoy
xXDr. KrazyXx
February 6th, 2007 at 09:45pm
I think strait jackets don't help an insane person whatsoever. However, they are insane so it is understandable. This doesn't justify the way they were treated. Treatment in asylums has gotten much better since then, though. They are treated more as people with an illness than trash.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
February 7th, 2007 at 01:37am
Straight jackets keep patients from hurting themselves and others, as ruby said.

There's a point to it.

It's not a random 'oh the nurses are bored so they're going to shove a random patient into a straight jacket'.
Thursday's Child
Bleeding on the Floor
Thursday's Child
February 7th, 2007 at 02:51am
I personally think Aslyums are there to help patients, not hurt them.
I use to be the opposite, watching the horror movies one too many times, feeling these people should make their own decisions...
but lately, my views have changed...

where I live, In Milwaukee, there's a serious problem dealing with mentally ill patients living on their own.
After the 1970's Supreme Court decision, it resulted gave mentally ill patients more due process rights, but also in a lot of asylums to be shut down....less patients were qualified for commitment to the Aslyums, therefore less of a need for them.

And now, they're living on their own...
and the problem arises; where do they go? how do one insure they recieve treatment they need?
and currently, that problem is being solved by illegal homes
because it's the cheapest and easiest option for the social workers
The mentall ill are living under horrible conditions: houses with out heatt in the winter, air conditioning in the summer, no food, severe over crowding in small spaces, no one is checking in on them, they're dying and not being discovered until days later...

so basically, that's my long answer to why I think asylums are helpful.
They've improved conditions from the horros of the 1800s.
They're there to help the patients, not only from society but themselves...
People with cetain mental disorders can not help and care for themselves
and unfortunately, we live in a society where not everyone is going to help them in the real world....that's what asylums are for
to help these people live a healthy, safe life.

plus, if mistreatment is occuring in a asylum
I'm sure that would be easier to not only catch, but deal with and correct
than if the police would have to track down not only the location of the illegal home, but whoever is running it and any other illegal homes that they manage...

Edit: I just like to add this to my previous post, if that's alright with ya'll:
someone one said, on this topic, that
"we shouldn't be tearing the asylums down, but simply taking the locks off the doors,"
and I completely agree. Make them avialable. Don't make them mandatory
abeautifuldisaster
Killjoy
abeautifuldisaster
February 11th, 2007 at 06:36pm
i have a teacher who was telling us about how maybe like 10 or so years ago, she and her students would volenteer in the mental health facilities. she says that they are nonthing like they used to be. authorities finally got the right idea about how special needs people should be treated. which in my opinion is a wonderful thing.
masquerage
Killjoy
masquerage
February 12th, 2007 at 10:52am
i think asylums are fine.
i mean its better than just putting crazy people to death isnt it?
lexie
Bleeding on the Floor
lexie
February 12th, 2007 at 12:25pm
well i know how you feel though - my parents are both in Psychiatry and when I was younger I saw 'One flew over the Cuckoos Nest' and didnt speak to them for days! But when I was older I helped in and around the wards and aslo ended up in one for 2 weeks when I brokedown and I can honestly say that things really have changed! My brother is in Psychiatry as well now so as you can see I would let you know if I thought for one minute that the wards were inhumane or draconian.
It was horrible how they USED to be dont get me wrong but that was in the old days when people had a different attitude to Mental Health.
Golden Cat
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Golden Cat
February 12th, 2007 at 12:40pm
1. Should these poor people be abused like they are?
No, that sounds really horrible..
2. Should they be treated with medicine, and all the help needed or should they be left to fend for themselves.
I think if they have a medicine they should take it.. Why not?
3. Are straight jackets good or bad?
I think they're good, I mean, what if the person wanted to kill you..?
abeautifuldisaster
Killjoy
abeautifuldisaster
February 12th, 2007 at 05:13pm
lexie:
well i know how you feel though - my parents are both in Psychiatry and when I was younger I saw 'One flew over the Cuckoos Nest' and didnt speak to them for days! But when I was older I helped in and around the wards and aslo ended up in one for 2 weeks when I brokedown and I can honestly say that things really have changed! My brother is in Psychiatry as well now so as you can see I would let you know if I thought for one minute that the wards were inhumane or draconian.
It was horrible how they USED to be dont get me wrong but that was in the old days when people had a different attitude to Mental Health.

i agree with you about that movie...."One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest." It is really sad. sadly, it gives a bad impression to modern-day mental health facilities.
broken.
Jazz Hands
broken.
February 12th, 2007 at 07:20pm
I think they're fine but yeah, a lot of patients get mistreated. Maybe not HORRIBLe like in one flew over the cuckoo's nest, but it can be a little rude/unnecessary.
Better than letting them just die rite?
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
February 26th, 2007 at 03:45pm
Speaking from experience.... I've been institutionalized four times at three separate hospital psychiatric wards. The first was physically abusive, Charter Hospital, back in 1992. Doctors there were very physical and I was bruised heavily from their use of unnecessary force. Fortunately, word got out and Charter got sued. All the patients were transferred to better places.

The other two places were horrible, frightening experiences that haunt me until this day. But neither were abusive. I was physically restrained by a team of doctors, I was tied to a bed with cuffs, I was given multiple shots of tranquelizers and force fed anti-depressants. I was even locked in an empty, non-padded cell for two days. But everything was within humane standards. I was never abused physically at these two places (although I did a fair amount of damage to myself pounding on the walls like an idiot). I was always given food, water, pillow, etc when I needed it. I was released upon my 18th birthday, a legal technicality I was happy to discover.

For the best portrayel of what a psych ward or mental asylum really is, watch the movie "Girl, Interrupted." That's exactly what it was like.
don't aim to please.
Banned
don't aim to please.
February 26th, 2007 at 09:18pm
1. No, nobody should be abused.
2. If meds are what they need, then that's what they should get.
3. If straight jackets are what they need, then straight jackets are what they should get
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
February 27th, 2007 at 07:34am
Ooooh! I did a report on Nelly Bly. Her real name was Elizabeth Cochran(sp?).[/spam]

Anyway, I think the people are treated badly at asylums because the employees know that no one would care about them and that no one would believe an insane person if they said the assylum is beating them.

I personally have never been to an insane assylum, so go ahead and ignore my post....
lacey;;
Always Born a Crime
lacey;;
February 27th, 2007 at 10:03am
...oh, good God

...i fear asylums...i don't like those poor people being victimized by tortures (in the early times) and being treated worse than trash...

...i feel like i'm having a heart attack...oh.....i can't breathe again... Crying or Very sad

...awww...i'm such a coward.
the used.
In The Murder Scene
the used.
March 1st, 2007 at 04:12pm
Before I moved, I lived right next to an asylum for nearly four years.
I really understood why the people lived there.
They didn't have any other place to go, because they had suffered so much during their lives.
They needed a shelter, and the asylums became their cover...
IXPROMISE
March 1st, 2007 at 04:37pm
idk
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 1st, 2007 at 05:01pm
REVENGEXHASXJUSTXWON:
my FREIND thinks insane asylum are stupid there is so much tax money wasted
to go to people who are crazy and will never benefit in society so HE thinks they should all be killed
this is his oppinion

That's lovely.
Tell him he's wrong.
Thousands of people have mental problems.
Most of the people I know would have been killed according to that point of view.
I would have been killed.
They're there to help people.
And not all people who are crazy will never benefit in society.

"Crazy People Who Will Never Benefit in Society"

Isaac Newton
Beethoven
abraham Lincoln
Vincent van Gogh
Winston Churchill
Virginia Woolf
Shaun Colvin
Carrie Fisher
Brooke Shields
Charles Dickens
Michelangelo
Sylvia Plath
Ernest Hemingway
porcelain-star
Fabulous Killjoy
porcelain-star
March 2nd, 2007 at 07:45am
i dont think straightjackets are good. they're just degrading, and really not necessary. People in asylums should be treated fairly and well, after all they are there because they can't look aftre themselves. They should be treated with respect and care after all they are humans too.
lacey;;
Always Born a Crime
lacey;;
March 2nd, 2007 at 08:04am

yeah...that's right! they are human beings after all...now it would be interesting if other people treating those who are in asylums bad get into the poor ones' shoes...
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 2nd, 2007 at 06:30pm
TheWildRose:
i dont think straightjackets are good. they're just degrading, and really not necessary. People in asylums should be treated fairly and well, after all they are there because they can't look aftre themselves. They should be treated with respect and care after all they are humans too.

Sometimes straight jackets are necessary to protect the other patients as well.
They are necessary if the patient is physically harming themself or others.