Don't have an account? Create one!

Homosexual Rights.

AuthorMessage
Heybaberiba
Fabulous Killjoy
Heybaberiba
January 29th, 2009 at 08:52am
To me, the word "homo" is not offensive at all. That is due to the fact that Swedish didn't have the word "gay" before it was imported as a word for a homosexual person. We did however have the terms "homo" and "homosexual" as a part of the Swedish language. There is a Swedish word that could be offensive to some and that's "bög", and its kinda like the english word "fag". But then, the British use the word "fag" for a ciggarette, dont they?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
January 29th, 2009 at 09:20am
Heybaberiba:
To me, the word "homo" is not offensive at all. That is due to the fact that Swedish didn't have the word "gay" before it was imported as a word for a homosexual person. We did however have the terms "homo" and "homosexual" as a part of the Swedish language. There is a Swedish word that could be offensive to some and that's "bög", and its kinda like the english word "fag". But then, the British use the word "fag" for a ciggarette, dont they?

Yes, but in America, the words "homo" and "fag" are offensive, so we should refrain from using them on this board. Now that you've informed us, we will also be sure we don't use the word "bog" either. It's not a common American word at all; not sure if the British use it or not.
Sid
Salute You in Your Grave
Sid
February 9th, 2009 at 11:51am
No the British don't. Actually, I can't speak for Scotland, Wale or N. Ireland but in England bog either means swamp or toilet. And yes we do use fag for cigarette over here.

Which makes me wonder if Americans would be offended if we used that word in that context?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
February 9th, 2009 at 12:49pm
It Had A Gun.:
in England bog either means swamp or toilet. And yes we do use fag for cigarette over here...wonder if Americans would be offended if we used that word in that context?
It means the same thing here. We're aware that in Britain, a cigarette is referred to as a fag, but if it were myself, I'd be careful using the word here.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
February 9th, 2009 at 02:52pm
Agreed, Deb, for me, and probably most Americans, the first thing meaning you think of when you hear that word is a (very offensive) word for a homosexual.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
February 20th, 2009 at 07:21pm
i'm irish and we use the terms "fag" and "homo" offensively. we don't tend to use the term "fag" for cigarettes here as much though. i think "homo" is considered a good deal less offensive than "fag" though.
cherrryred
Killjoy
cherrryred
March 2nd, 2009 at 12:16pm
i'm bisexual. so obviously i think homophobia is stupid beyond words. i can't begin to comprehend how marriage could be denied for anyone. like...who decided to ban marriage for certain people? they're in love. get over it. not letting them get married isn't going to freaking change anything.

people can be so dumb.
believing.
Salute You in Your Grave
believing.
March 8th, 2009 at 10:14am
patrick stump.:
i'm irish and we use the terms "fag" and "homo" offensively. we don't tend to use the term "fag" for cigarettes here as much though. i think "homo" is considered a good deal less offensive than "fag" though.

"Homo" is pretty much offensive anyways, but you do make a point. It isn't as bad as "fag". The word "queer" isn't as bad as "fag" either, but still. I've been called those words one too many times.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 8th, 2009 at 01:51pm
well either way, it still is gonna offend someone if you use any of those words. I really don't think it's approperiate for kids shows to say "thats gay" when something isn't going right. i'm not trying to be all anal about it and saying that it'll make todays youth homophobes or anything, but still, I don't think it's in good taste and since we assossicate "thats gay" when something goes wrong, hows that suppose to make someone who is homosexual?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
March 8th, 2009 at 01:56pm
Also I read something cause my best friend and I were doing research for her essay paper.

One article which was against homosexual marriage was saying how in lesbian relationships, the chances of domestic abuse significantly increase, thoughts?
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 9th, 2009 at 04:55pm
Decimated Stars:
One article which was against homosexual marriage was saying how in lesbian relationships, the chances of domestic abuse significantly increase, thoughts?
Thoughts = bollocks. What a surprise that the author holds that opinion. Rolling Eyes
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
March 9th, 2009 at 05:07pm
Deb:
Decimated Stars:
Thoughts = bollocks. What a surprise that the author holds that opinion. Rolling Eyes

I bet the author managed to twist them statistics around untill they fit his opinion too Wink
stella spotlight!
Joining The Black Parade
stella spotlight!
March 9th, 2009 at 09:20pm
I support gay marriage. People should all be guaranteed the same rights regardless of their sexuality. A man and woman are allowed to marry, so denying that right to two men or two women is discrimination.

As for homosexual couples with children, it gets trickier. I'm sure that there are millions of gay/ lesbian couples that would be fantastic parents, but the child could suffer serious bullying and discrimination. That's just the way people are.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
March 9th, 2009 at 09:43pm
Decimated Stars:
Also I read something cause my best friend and I were doing research for her essay paper.

While other articles/studies may come up with different statistics than that one, I think that it's just an example of the circle of violence. Gay and lesbian teenagers are more likely to do drugs, be a victim of violence, commit suicide and many other negative things, but so are bullied teenagers. Gays and lesbians are more likely to be bullied. People that have been hurt physically are more likely to physically hurt someone else. This is not saying that the people themselves are bad, it's just that they are not always fully accepted, targeted as victims of harassment and they may inflict the hurt that they felt onto someone else.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 22nd, 2009 at 08:27pm
release the hounds!:
As for homosexual couples with children, it gets trickier. I'm sure that there are millions of gay/ lesbian couples that would be fantastic parents, but the child could suffer serious bullying and discrimination. That's just the way people are.
Bullies are bullies, though. If a child doesn't have gay parents, they'd find something else to pick on. I believe every kid at some stage comes across a bully, and I don't think it is fair to say that gay couples having children is "tricky" just because some little shit might bully them for it.

I mean, some people get bullied at school for the type of shoes they wear. If it's not one thing, it's another thing. You can't use bullying to stop homosexual people from having children.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 27th, 2009 at 10:51am
release the hounds!:
As for homosexual couples with children, it gets trickier..the child could suffer serious bullying and discrimination. That's just the way people are.
I don't think that having gay parents ups the discrimination value so much anymore. People are a lot more enlightened than they used to be, unless you live in one of the more backward states. Besides, what sort of home life one has is hardly common knowledge, unless it's a very small town. Either way, kids are going to pick on other kids just because they can; there are no likelier statistics there. I don't think that's an argument to deny perfectly good gay parents the right to be so; in fact, I think the law the way that it's written right now sucks - only one parent has rights in those situations. The second parent is treated as little more than a friendly neighbor - it's really sad.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
March 27th, 2009 at 01:11pm
^^ Good point that home lives aren't common knowledge, but it would be hard to become friends with someone without them finding out, or you telling them. And if that one person then turned on you and told other people then it'd get around.
Or at the school gates, it'd have to be the same parent that picked you up every day, otherwise you would have to lie if someone asked you who that was so that it didn't get around. Children shouldn't have to lie about who their parents are.
I could be wrong, i'm from a small town and have gone to small schools. It might be different in bigger ones.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
March 31st, 2009 at 10:57am
Just Steph...:
it would be hard to become friends with someone without them finding out, or you telling them. And if that one person then turned on you and told other people then it'd get around. Or at the school gates, it'd have to be the same parent that picked you up every day, otherwise you would have to lie if someone asked you who that was so that it didn't get around.

I punched a kid in the nose in the first grade because he yelled out "Hey, who's that fat lady that just walked in here?" when my Mom came to talk to the teacher one day. Kids are rude about one another's families and general assholes to one another no matter what the scenario, therefore, I don't think having a gay parent alters that reality much and therefore, there is no valid argument against them becoming such. The only thing that I advocate is honesty from the get-go. It's unfair to your children to be on the down low for half their lives, then suddenly do a 360 on them. If you were a certain way the entire time, they will never even give it a second thought, but if you lie, you've rocked their entire foundation to the core, and this is with anything, really.
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
March 31st, 2009 at 12:28pm
Deb:
Just Steph...:
it would be hard to become friends with someone without them finding out, or you telling them. And if that one person then turned on you and told other people then it'd get around. Or at the school gates, it'd have to be the same parent that picked you up every day, otherwise you would have to lie if someone asked you who that was so that it didn't get around.

I punched a kid in the nose in the first grade because he yelled out "Hey, who's that fat lady that just walked in here?" when my Mom came to talk to the teacher one day. Kids are rude about one another's families and general assholes to one another no matter what the scenario, therefore, I don't think having a gay parent alters that reality much and therefore, there is no valid argument against them becoming such. The only thing that I advocate is honesty from the get-go. It's unfair to your children to be on the down low for half their lives, then suddenly do a 360 on them. If you were a certain way the entire time, they will never even give it a second thought, but if you lie, you've rocked their entire foundation to the core, and this is with anything, really.

Yeah you've got a point. If a kid wants to be nasty to another kid, they'll use any reason.

And I'd like to point out to everyone, because i don't know how my last post might have sounded to other, but i'm not against gay couples having children, i think they should be able to. i think i might be gay myself and have always wanted to have children, so i've just been considering the subject from every point of view, so that i know my child would be safe if that were the situation. But there have been studies that have reported that children raised by gay parents are just as healthy as those raised by straight parents. Which is a relief.
die schwarze Parade
Fabulous Killjoy
die schwarze Parade
April 2nd, 2009 at 11:49am
Honestly, I think that homosexual marriage isn't legalized in most countries due the fact that people just aren't very accepting to the fact that not everybody has the same beliefs/orientation as them. Also because it doesn't typical conform to many religions in the world. And yes, I do believe that "Love is love," and that at no cost, should be criticized, weather it's between two guys, two girls, or the traditional man and wife.