Don't have an account? Create one!

Homosexual Rights.

AuthorMessage
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 7th, 2009 at 02:49pm
Four out of the 50 states in the United States have now legalized gay marriage (the latest being Vermont).

What does everyone think about this?
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 7th, 2009 at 02:58pm
Only 4?
I thought it was more than that.
I think it's legal everywhere in Britain.
But now that I think about it, i'm not sure...
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 7th, 2009 at 03:41pm
I think legalized means it is considered in the same way as a heterosexual marriage. I know other states have civil unions, which are kind of like marraiges, but without some rights. I'm not sure about specifics though
Just Steph...
Motor Baby
Just Steph...
April 7th, 2009 at 03:51pm
Ah, right, I get it.
I think that's what we've got here. I don't think they can get married in churches. A friend of a friend got kicked out of his church when he came out, so I doubt it.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
April 7th, 2009 at 06:04pm
The uk supports civil partnerships but not officially gay marriages. Although civil partnerships are basically a marriage there are differences.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 7th, 2009 at 11:03pm
questionable content:
I think legalized means it is considered in the same way as a heterosexual marriage. I know other states have civil unions, which are kind of like marraiges, but without some rights. I'm not sure about specifics though
States like New York and New Jersey recognize gay marriage performed in other states but won't perform them themselves.
believing.
Salute You in Your Grave
believing.
April 17th, 2009 at 12:00pm
Just Steph...:
Ah, right, I get it.
I think that's what we've got here. I don't think they can get married in churches. A friend of a friend got kicked out of his church when he came out, so I doubt it.

Yeah, sometimes that happens. I got kicked out of my church too when I came out.
My country hasn't legalised gay marriages yet because more than half of the population is Islamic, and being gay "is condemned" in the religion. But, there's still hope.
gerardgrl23
Killjoy
gerardgrl23
April 23rd, 2009 at 01:56pm
i think your right, being gay is much more common now and eventually they'll have to realize that and accept it
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
April 24th, 2009 at 12:53am
I don't have anything against gay people, and I think they should be treated like everyone else. I have a gay friend and he's not offended by people who go like, "Oh, that shirt is so gay!" or something. I have nothing against gay people.

However, I don't think gay marriage should be legal because I see marriage as specifically between a man and a woman. I don't have anything against two people of the same sex getting married, but I just think it should be two members of the opposite sex getting married.
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 07:27am
i think that homosexuals should be given the same rights as straights.

im straight and i think its wrong when you hear on the news that homosexual couples cant get maried jus casue they are gay/lesbian.

i thought it was even more wrong when the dude who was trying to become the arch bishop in england and wasnt
alowed because he was gay.

i wanted to punch my mom when i told her about my two friends.
one is Bisexual
the other is Gay.

she told me to stay away.

i could have popped...
i wanted to hurt her cause it made me feel angry that she told me to stay away jus cause they were homosexual.

thjis may have dwelled of the subject.
sorry .x.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 24th, 2009 at 12:34pm
nameless...:
However, I don't think gay marriage should be legal because I see marriage as specifically between a man and a woman. I don't have anything against two people of the same sex getting married, but I just think it should be two members of the opposite sex getting married.
Do you think gay relationships should be illegal?
Because really, marriage is just like a long term relationship, except there's contract to be signed, and possibly rings exchanged officially.
That's pretty much it. I find marriage to be more symbolic than anything else.

On that note, I disagree with you. Because marriage is just a legal binding contract between two people who want to be legally recognised as a couple. I don't think that should be restricted to just straight people.
ellizzle
Killjoy
ellizzle
April 24th, 2009 at 03:57pm
i have loads of gay friends, and to me their no differnt to any one of us. Just because some one likes the same sex doesnt mean they should be treated differently in my opinon. BOINGage is right, that man who was gay and tried to become the arch bishop was restricted of his human rights. Human rights state that each person should have a EQUAL opinion on things, EQUAL chances in life and EQUAL jobs. not to metion that all humans have a right to marriage. Gay people not being aloud to marry is like your child not being able to go to school because of his/her hair colour! Its ridiculous!! In my books, every person, bisexual, gay, or straight, should have equal rights to forefill their dreams and asperations in life.
So in the end who cares if two people that are gay want to get married? Its a big thing in life, marriage. it means you actually LOVE the person and you want to spend the rest of your life together with them.
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
April 24th, 2009 at 04:19pm
nameless...:
I don't think gay marriage should be legal because I see marriage as specifically between a man and a woman. I just think it should be two members of the opposite sex getting married.
Happy birthday; it's my Mom's birthday too today. I am just curious as to WHY you think marriage should be restricted to male/female only?
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
April 30th, 2009 at 07:55am
In the UK you are allowed to have a Civil Partnership.
Which basically means that it's recognized that your partners. I've just been having a glance through what the Internet has to say about the difference between a Civil Partnership and a Marriage. In the eyes of the government it's practically the same thing, the difference is that Marriage is still classified as a religious ceremony. Whereas a Civil Partnership ceremony cannot be performed in a church -or maybe there are a few individual exceptions-.
At the end of the day it all leads to joint taxes, you know how those governments like our money.
Personally, I think it's silly that they have to have different names. I don't know if that means that homosexual couples can say their married or not but still, its all the same really.

Though my father was very homophobic, which used to drive me insane. I'm bi-sexual, and usually I don't tell people. I'm not ashamed of who I am but the terms "In-decisive" and "greedy" annoy me after a while. It's usually when people don't understand something that they decide they need to throw their two pennies worth in.
I also grew up in a fairly religious background. God created man to lay next to a woman. Adam and Eve.
But he also created us to have a free mind. With individual thoughts and feelings. If he can forgive people from different religions and culture's for not believing in him, and can forgive people who choose not to follow him. Why can't he forgive those who choose to love someone of the same sex as them?
That went slightly off topic I apologize.

The problem is, people are so hypocritical. No-one wants to open their eyes and see the world. Love for a woman is just the same as love for a man, we're equal, we apparently live in an equal society.

I can find out the Governments opinion on Gay and Lesbian adoption/fostering when I get home -my mothers a social worker-.
jared leto.
Awake and Unafraid
jared leto.
April 30th, 2009 at 07:47pm
Okay- my friends and I debate this often, due to the fact we have friends who are bisexual.

Here's a question to think about.
If God created all mankind, why does the church say that He hates gay people?
How can He hate something He created?
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 30th, 2009 at 08:25pm
^ I think, by that reasoning, you could suggest that if God does not hate homosexuals, then he does not hate murderers, people who "take His name in vain", and all the other people that are usually looked down upon by God, even if He did create them.

Or it could just be the issue that "God gave us free will", and people are free to use it as they wish, and for some, that is homosexuality.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
May 1st, 2009 at 06:47am
Uhm... I'm no genius about religion, but murderers and sinners, aren't the giving into the temptations of the devil or something.

Because the devil is always trying to people to act against god's will?

Sorry if I'm completely wrong, like I said, I don't know
bellamurte
Killjoy
bellamurte
May 1st, 2009 at 08:00am
The devil -from what I remember- doesn't have much to do with religion as the big red, pitchforked monster with horns people imagen.
It's to do with good and Evil, right and wrong...but this is going of subject and I dont remember exactly.

My mum is a social worker and I asked about the policies for Gay and Lesbian couples adopting/fostering.
All homosexual couples are treated exactly the same as straight couples and make fantastic perents.
She said, in the case of fostering -which is usually when a child has been removed from his or her perents due to lack of care- gay couples can have a better effect on a child. Say a young girl was beaten and raped by her father then her going into a family where there are two mothers can be better for the child's health.
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
May 1st, 2009 at 08:16am
^^^ that's a very thoughtful remark, I never would have thought of the 2 mothers being more beneficial in that way.

Although sometimes it can be better to grow up with both genders, however that is not always possible and not always better.. everything depends on circumstances
Person0001
Always Born a Crime
Person0001
May 1st, 2009 at 09:41am
William Control:
sometimes it can be better to grow up with both genders
Meh, I don't think it matters. Lord knows I've encountered tons of people (including myself) who were colossally screwed up by their hetero parents.