Don't have an account? Create one!

Is Gerard and friends getting full of themself?

AuthorMessage
Still Alive...
Killjoy
Still Alive...
January 19th, 2007 at 07:40pm
My biggest fear when it comes to bands i admire alot, like MCR, is that they will sell out to money.

The second CD was spectacular. This third one is great and a proper follow-up to Three Cheers. But if you listen to this one(The Third), you can hear the polished sound. The second CD everything is alittle darker...more rough, overall creative. In this one, eventhough parts of it are dark, is still relatively pleasing to the ear. There isn't alot of distorting/disturbing sounds, everything sounds quite melodic.

The thing i'm describing is the concept of 'Jumping the Shark.' At the first (Im assuming) and second, the band was at the creative best. I think that IS who they really are. But now, this doesnt sound quite like them. Billie Joe Armstrong suggested to Way to use Rob Cavallo as their producer. Thats fine, the record came out great, ilove as much as the second. They were relatively tru to themselves this CD, but latter CD's will come and whose to say if the sound of the fifth CD will resemble anything like the third?)

Also, in recent article' s i've read i feel like gerard is getting a little full of himself. He describes in Blender about feeling how with this record it felt like a gun was being held to the bands head and he comments that even if it was fired that it would make them stronger.

What do you think the future holds for MCR?

What does everyone else think?
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 19th, 2007 at 07:43pm
They changed the sound of the record so fans wouldn't get bored of their music. As they mature, their music will mature. This will probably continue happening until they are through with being a band.

...and that doesn't make him sound full of himself.
Still Alive...
Killjoy
Still Alive...
January 19th, 2007 at 07:44pm
(I wish this thing had an edit button for my posts)
PS. What i'm really trying to convey is The Third CD sounds a little different than the second. It comes from less of a raw, emotionally charged, dark place. It can be descirbed as the sound sounds al ittle diluted.

What does the future hold?
please commetn
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
January 19th, 2007 at 07:47pm
Still Alive...:
PS. What i'm really trying to convey is The Third CD sounds a little different than the second. It comes from less of a raw, emotionally charged, dark place. It can be descirbed as the sound sounds al ittle diluted.

please commetn

There is an edit button.

Their future albums will mature as they grow.
audeo
Fabulous Killjoy
audeo
January 19th, 2007 at 09:33pm
Still Alive...:

please commetn

Well, there are different variables to consider. The conceptualization of Revenge took place throughout a very dark period for the band. A period where Gerard was extremely chemically dependent, dangerous to himself and his band mates - his friends worried for him. Add to this the rigors of hard core touring and trying to write an album throughout this, and then add the grief of losing a loved one and my question to you would be, how could it not be dark?

Another variable to consider is that when Revenge was birthed, they were still very new to it all, things were still very raw and their confidence in their art and their talents was still on shaky legs. With the new album, they had a whole new wealth of experiences to draw from.

The new album does not merely showcase their growth, it showcases their willingness to learn, to expand, to not so much think outside the box but to remember that there was greatness that came long before them that they honoured in their own way. By taking elements from many old school bands, but still managing to incorporate that trademark "dark matter" that is inherently MCR, they have taken sounds that were old and made them shiny and new again, while still staying true to themselves.

To constantly recreate the same sound is to stagnate and stunt your artistic growth. You can hear the trademark MCR sound throughout TBP album. It's woven inbetween other sounds yes, but it's still there. In the melodies, the riffs and the words. That they were willing to go beyond themselves and show their admiration of other's works speaks to the fact that they are NOT getting full of themselves. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

I don't find them to be less raw so much as better able to evoke feeling in new ways. Unlike many bands, they've paid attention to what they've learned from the professionals they've worked with and they've been able to run with this knowledge and create something new and great while still being themselves. If your favourite band repeatedly recreates the same sound, album after album, how long do they stay as your favourite? How long before all the sounds start to bleed together and sound the same? MCR strike me as perfectionists who have a very clear vision of what their art can and should be. Not everyone understands another persons concept of art, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful. Just different, that's all.
madame angst
Salute You in Your Grave
madame angst
January 19th, 2007 at 09:34pm
Eh...Gerard seems like the kind of person who's alrays wanted to be noticed, and now that he has all this attention, he's putting it to good use and saying all he wants...blahblahblah. But I don't know him and therefore can't say anything about him.
:]]
Bella_Revenge
Really Not Okay
Bella_Revenge
January 19th, 2007 at 10:32pm
I think i get everyone's point here.
My feelings are that yes, the first two albums came out of a very emotionally dark place for the band and that for the third album they didn't have very much to go on. They had to take past experiences and re-write them so it's not the same stuff we are used to hearing. And the third album is a more polished, less in-your-face like album. I don't think MCR will ever not sound like MCR but it's going to get different. I like the older albums better, where they had the old 'don't fuck with us' attitude. The new album is more taught, you know? I dunno if that had anything to do with anything but it was the best i can do. Very Happy
Eiri;
Shotgun Sinner
Eiri;
January 20th, 2007 at 02:02am
This is the way I see it:
During the first two albums, we all know Gerard was struggling with his addictions, trying to get off of it and the death of his grandma. Of course the albums were going to be dark, because they reflected what he was going through and what the band was going through. It reflects that time and moment.

I think with this new album, it's more. . .I guess you can say softer (for lack of a better word) because they are more settled, and they are now able to handle their problems better. I believe that the whole concept with this, you know with the cancer paitient going through the parade and all is really the band going through their own black parade, and how at the end of it, it's better.

Now did that make any sense? XD I don't think they are getting full of themselves. They are just alot more confident, and I think that is a good thing,because many bands aren't.

anywho, I'm done here. XD
Mrs.Halloween
Salute You in Your Grave
Mrs.Halloween
January 20th, 2007 at 04:32am
Still Alive...:

i don't think the third album sounds less diluted. if anything i actually think it comes from a darker, more raw place than the first two. they went through all that recording in the paramour (sp?) up to the point where they were having arguments with each other, spiritual encounters, wanting to kill themselves while making that album.
i don't think tbp is less impressive than the other two. i was so happy when i heard it because i thought the songs on it were brilliant and i wasn't disappointed in the slightest. i just believe that it's different than the other two albums. not necessarily better or worse.
and i don't think the band have gotten full of themselves. they've been together for about 5 years now and they've always said that they won't get sucked into the warp of being famous.
i'm excited about any other albums that they're going to make, i can't wait to see what they'll be like.
X5927alpha
Thinking Happy Thoughts
X5927alpha
January 20th, 2007 at 09:04am
I don't think they are getting full of themselves, I think as they change and grow personally they have developed into different people then they were in the beginning. Truthfully, I would think the people they are now is 100% healthier in the long term then what they were. Growth is good.

However, they also have a lot to think about, so I don't think this translates to being full of themselves, just having a lot on their minds.
chesneira
Killjoy
chesneira
February 3rd, 2007 at 08:03am
Sometimes I wonder did they have ghost writers or composers while making TBP...But what the hell...This latest album got them bigger than before...Which is a good thing right?
aliss practice.
Shotgun Sinner
aliss practice.
February 3rd, 2007 at 09:20am
I truly hate the fact that they are now mainstream, and I hate it when my friends say that they like them. But under no circumstances have MCR become a sell-out. Selling-out is when you make a record to please a certain type or group of people, and MCR don’t do that. MCR make music that they enjoy doing. Frank Iero said that all he had ever wanted was to play in a garage with his friends, that proves that MCR have not and probably never will sell-out. Gerard and the boys are trying to help anyone that crosses their path, or ‘saving lives‘ is their aim as they say. Fortunately. MCR have really succeeded beyond many toher bands at getting their point across. It doesn’t matter about the amount of records that you sell and the money, it matters that they are enjoying and getting the best out of the experience, cos they know it won’t last forever. Gerard is just explaining the pressure that was on them during making that album, he is absolutely no way being big headed, and I have no f*cking idea how the hell you got that into your head.
glitter geek.
Shotgun Sinner
glitter geek.
February 3rd, 2007 at 10:43am
mainstream, shmainstream....

listen up:

in April is Gerard's 30th birthday.

HE'S GETTING OLDER!!

he's getting more mature not more full of himself.

and the band is moving on. away from the dark times. that's what "the third album" symbolizes.

moving on...

and my mom told me that "Sell-out" means when you do something thats below you or something that betrays somebody.

SO, HA!
Failure to Breathe.
Motor Baby
Failure to Breathe.
February 3rd, 2007 at 11:05am
I honestly do not think theyre getting full of themselves.... they are maturing. can you picture my chemical romance 20 years later did you honestly think that they would still act the same???
NO. they are becoming a well known band. they take their music seriously.and they are getting older.
they will never be a sell out.
my chemical romance is about the music.
thats why their lyrics can be taken so close to heart.

thats what i think.
x-Murdered Love-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Murdered Love-x
February 3rd, 2007 at 12:32pm
morbid morgue:
I honestly do not think theyre getting full of themselves.... they are maturing. can you picture my chemical romance 20 years later did you honestly think that they would still act the same???
NO. they are becoming a well known band. they take their music seriously.and they are getting older.
they will never be a sell out.
my chemical romance is about the music.
thats why their lyrics can be taken so close to heart.

thats what i think.

I agree very much. As they grow so will the music but they will ALWAYS be MCR no matter what.
Funky Crime
Bleeding on the Floor
Funky Crime
February 3rd, 2007 at 01:23pm
First off,
It's not that bad of a thing if the fifth album doesn't sound like this one, because not every album should sound THE SAME..
Then there would be no reason in listening to different albums...

ALSO-
I don't believe they are getting full of themselves..
I think sometimes they may become a little excited, like now, but come on,
Gerard is sober now, the "band" is sober in a way, so many things have changed for them so they can make things better, wouldn't you be a little excited?
I know I would ...

I don't believe they are sell-outs.. Because they are my band, and I'll listen to them even if they're on every commercial or...whatever on T.V.

Why does it even matter if a band is a sell- out?
If they make good music, that's all that matters, right?
That's what I think......

Anytoro, I'm done now...

Don't go bashing me because I have my opinion....
You have yours.
Respect that, please.
insane clown posse.
In The Murder Scene
insane clown posse.
February 3rd, 2007 at 02:26pm
The Black Parade is there 'alter-ego', they're not going to sound like that forever, the next album will be the old My Chemical Romance with some new changes. Just like the group U2, Bono was Mr. Macfisto for like one album, it was his alter ego. I think Gerard is letting all the attention get to his head though. They are big, they have more teenie fans and more new fans, it doesn't matter that you or I have been listening to them since Bullets and other true new fans have been listening to them since The Black Parade, it doesn't matter, as long as you like them for who they are and not talking about banging them like some of the other new fans are probally doing.

If they made all there albums like Revenge, face it...it would be boring, they needed to come up with something new so wala, out came The Black Parade, there alter-ego. Eventually My Chem. will come out and shine over The Black Parade. Just be patient.
Bleeding Stares
Really Not Okay
Bleeding Stares
February 3rd, 2007 at 03:47pm
unapologetic apathy:
They changed the sound of the record so fans wouldn't get bored of their music. As they mature, their music will mature. This will probably continue happening until they are through with being a band.

...and that doesn't make him sound full of himself.

Bingo. All bands change their sound as they progress.
Revenge?
Killjoy
Revenge?
February 3rd, 2007 at 06:08pm
Uhh - I somewhat agree.
But on the other hand - I strongly disagree.
They are maturing - their music is maturing.
Obviously their sound will change. Even if it changes, they will always know that their fans are behind them 110% supporting them, as long as they have true fans who aren't only concerned about Gerard's hair or their looks - damn those teenies.
jason schwartzman
Bleeding on the Floor
jason schwartzman
February 3rd, 2007 at 06:36pm
In no way are they "selling out."

Like everyone is saying, they're simply maturing and growing older.

People grow, and they learn as they live life. I doubt you're going to act now how you did five or six years ago.

Sure TBP seems abit more mainstream than Bullets or even Revenge, but with the releases of Kill All Your Friends, and My Way Home is Through You, you can tell that they still have their 'raw emotion.'