Don't have an account? Create one!

Free Comic Book Day (may 5th)

AuthorMessage
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
May 5th, 2007 at 06:12pm
So yeah I go into the store wearing my MCR t-shirt. Walk up to the counter and the guy looks at me, folds his hands on the counter, and just stares at me like what-the-hell-is-a-girl-doing-in-my-store-look. Completely rude. I ask if he has the preview for UA and he says no and starts trying to get me interested in something else. I say no thank you and start to walk out of the store. He then says to hold on, that he might have another copy somewhere. As he's digging around he asks 'What's so special about this band dude? I don't even know who he is. Some woman drove for over an hour just to come and get it for her kid so I guess he must be one hell of a singer.' First off, I was pissed that he hadn't tried to find one when I asked for it, second, he was talking all sarcastic about the whole thing. Finally he finds the last copy he had and before he gives it to me says I have to come back and buy the series there or he was going to hunt me down.....fucking scary. I'm definatly not going to buy it there. I'm going to drive the extra 20 minutes to the second closest comic store. The end of my rant.

Now about the comic. Story is kick ass, artwork not so much. A bit disapointed but none the less still satisfied that I now have it.
rubbaduckie
Jazz Hands
rubbaduckie
May 5th, 2007 at 06:24pm
wagh, i would have no clue where 2 find a comic book store in ct... this shall be a challenge.
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
May 5th, 2007 at 06:25pm
I got it in Texas----U S of A.
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx
Jazz Hands
xXtRaGIc_AffAiRXx
May 5th, 2007 at 06:28pm
Gold-Plated Dirt.:
Did anyone in Britain get it?

i got it from forbidden planet in london =D
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 5th, 2007 at 06:54pm
vamatelf:
So yeah I go into the store wearing my MCR t-shirt. Walk up to the counter and the guy looks at me, folds his hands on the counter, and just stares at me like what-the-hell-is-a-girl-doing-in-my-store-look. Completely rude. I ask if he has the preview for UA and he says no and starts trying to get me interested in something else. I say no thank you and start to walk out of the store. He then says to hold on, that he might have another copy somewhere. As he's digging around he asks 'What's so special about this band dude? I don't even know who he is. Some woman drove for over an hour just to come and get it for her kid so I guess he must be one hell of a singer.' First off, I was pissed that he hadn't tried to find one when I asked for it, second, he was talking all sarcastic about the whole thing. Finally he finds the last copy he had and before he gives it to me says I have to come back and buy the series there or he was going to hunt me down.....fucking scary. I'm definatly not going to buy it there. I'm going to drive the extra 20 minutes to the second closest comic store. The end of my rant.

Now about the comic. Story is kick ass, artwork not so much. A bit disapointed but none the less still satisfied that I now have it.

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!! that's an interesting twist and the freakiest shop keeper ever. Yeah but I had a feeling the people at these comic book shops have something against Gerard's publicity that's making his comic book sell.

when i got mine, the shop girl said, "yeah i might as well get the whole pile out" and the girl behind me i think got the UA as well & said, "yeah you might as well". It's almost predictable.
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 5th, 2007 at 06:57pm
pumpkinpiemofu:
someone on ebay is selling to for 50 bucks. it's already gotten 7 bids.

are there really 2 other stories in there from other people. i thought the first one was the umbrella acadamy and i saw a second story in there but haven't gotten to it yet.

freakin pathetic! for goodness sakes, Gerard put it up for FCBD and you have to go make money out of that?!

btw, the comic book store i went to was friggin stingy. I asked how many books we can get and he goes, "one".
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
May 5th, 2007 at 07:02pm
airwave parade:

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!! that's an interesting twist and the freakiest shop keeper ever. Yeah but I had a feeling the people at these comic book shops have something against Gerard's publicity that's making his comic book sell.

x_____X Yeah he was freaky.

That's most likely the case. All the publicity he gets even if his comic isn't that great. They shouldn't really care though. It brings them some new business from those who other wise wouldn't even go there in the first place. I only buy manga at B&N, too expensive in the independent comic stores.
pinklemonsyum
Killjoy
pinklemonsyum
May 5th, 2007 at 07:07pm
Wow I can't believe there were lines in some places. I just waltzed into a store and it was pretty much empty and there was a nice stack of UAs.

Smile)) I'm happy.
feel the romance
Jazz Hands
feel the romance
May 5th, 2007 at 08:47pm
i went to two comic shops today, and the one said that they had a whole big stack of 'em, and they were quickly sold out (well not technically "sold" out, but you know what i mean). the other place didn't have them either. i was truly dissapointed, cause i've been waiting for this day for months..
do comic shops ever keep the left-overs after free comic book day?
cause theres about 3 shops in a city nearby, where i can check... but i wasn't sure if they would still have them.
feel the romance
Jazz Hands
feel the romance
May 5th, 2007 at 08:54pm
sorry, another question.. anyone know when the comic will be on sale, and around how much it might cost?
since i couldn't get the free preview, guess i'll just have to wait and save my money (since im broke at the moment).
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
May 5th, 2007 at 09:22pm
I've heard that it'll come out sometime around September....
Shotgun Sinner.
Fabulous Killjoy
Shotgun Sinner.
May 5th, 2007 at 09:43pm
I heard the comic is coming out between Sept/Oct this year.

TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS A COPY:
I have a few. PM me.
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 5th, 2007 at 09:47pm
vamatelf:

x_____X Yeah he was freaky.

That's most likely the case. All the publicity he gets even if his comic isn't that great. They shouldn't really care though. It brings them some new business from those who other wise wouldn't even go there in the first place. I only buy manga at B&N, too expensive in the independent comic stores.

i'm just thinking...about how Gerard is kinda bringing more people into comics because of his music...the same thing is happening with his music- more people i bet, have started to listen to what you can call, the alternative mainstream, because of MCR. I'm one of em. Very Happy

oh yeahhhh, what if MCR has an album signing (if they still have them) but except we bring him the Umbrella Academy to sign??! that'll be so coool
Dr. Manhattan
Bleeding on the Floor
Dr. Manhattan
May 5th, 2007 at 10:12pm
i went into my local
comic book store and the guys there
were pretty cool a couple girls
were in there including me i ended
up getting TUA and a couple Wolverine's
and a Spider-Man Comic very successfull
trip :]
AllOfTheseVampires
Killjoy
AllOfTheseVampires
May 6th, 2007 at 12:14am
ook so i managed to get 2 copies today! the comic store is like 15 minutes from me which is awesome. i got there and asked for UA and he gave it too me, and i was kinda looking around and he gave me a whole bag of another 10 comics! and then i asked for a second UA.

but QUESTION!
why was gerard the author and not the artist. the artist is credited to be Gabriel Ba. i thought gerard would do the art??
pheartehgrimace
Killjoy
pheartehgrimace
May 6th, 2007 at 12:37am
AllOfTheseVampires:
ook so i managed to get 2 copies today! the comic store is like 15 minutes from me which is awesome. i got there and asked for UA and he gave it too me, and i was kinda looking around and he gave me a whole bag of another 10 comics! and then i asked for a second UA.

but QUESTION!
why was gerard the author and not the artist. the artist is credited to be Gabriel Ba. i thought gerard would do the art??

with all the work he's doing Touring and so forth, he really couldn't draw it all w/o serious delays. I'm glad he wrote it - that probably wasn't much of a problem since writing the script and concept wouldn't be as time consuming. in an interview DarkHorse said they really want him to do the art at some point of the Series Run, probably after the first 7 if it picks up a bit of a following.
AliroSilver
Really Not Okay
AliroSilver
May 6th, 2007 at 01:05am
Free Comic Day was very productive this year, I must've snagged at least 12 titles along with The Umbrella Academy. I love going in the comic store though, they never expect to see a girl in there, espeically a "hot" girl (their words not mine). Now, as for the comic, it was very interesting. The writing jumped around a bit and some of the dialogue could have been better, but the art perfectly complimented the story which is rare. I very much enjoyed it and I can't wait to get more. I really liked the characters, their powers are just so damned cool! I mean, The Rumor's powers are amazing! There is litterally nothing she couldn't do with a power like that! She just needs imagination (and maybe some self control as well considering what happened). So, yay!
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 6th, 2007 at 03:26am
what is wrong with Sydney? why did they limit ONE single comic per person???! it's not fair! or did the store guy lie to me?

hmmm i reckon the characters are very interesting too. I reckon Kracken was named after Bert. I don't have a favourite yet...I will when the rest comes out. And anyways, who knows which character will stay? you know...that weird line at the end of the story?
blackaisten
Motor Baby
blackaisten
May 6th, 2007 at 04:14am
OMG! i'n my Comic Book Store they only gave to like 10 persons!
Bad Wolf
Killjoy
Bad Wolf
May 6th, 2007 at 08:52am
i walked into the comic shop and the guy there saw my MCR top and was just like "Umbrella Academy?" and i said yes and he was like "uh we've run out" i was devastated! i had to go out of the shop or i thought i was gona start crying! but my mum kinda snagged me a copy coz she was like oh thats ok we've just come in from geelong [almost an hour out of the city where the comic shop is] so the guy was like well since you've travelled so far and they had some kept under the counter for emergencies, so yeah i got one copy but then felt bad for the day coz i was there with my friend but we only got ONE copy =( i cant wait for more though, even though we won't get anything for at least another 3 months [well thats what the dude at the comic shop said]
and to 'airwave parade' the first shop i went to only let you have one comic to :[ its stupid.
i'll be ready next year though! well i hope i will be