Don't have an account? Create one!

Kill All Your Friends

AuthorMessage
punkftw
Killjoy
punkftw
July 7th, 2010 at 04:50am
im gonna guess its about loosing touch with someone maybe old friends or his roots because this song came out around the time punk is not dead came out and someone from black flag i think or the misfits (a big influence for MCR) said they hated what punk music had become.
TheMurderScene261
Killjoy
TheMurderScene261
July 12th, 2010 at 04:49pm
I think it's about High School Reunions

Well you can
Hide Alot
About Yourself
But Honey What Are You Gonna Do?
And You can
Sleep in a coffin
But the past Ain't through
With you-You can make up stuff about your life but from who you were from high school everyone knows you're lying

Cause we are
All a bunch liars
Tell me baby
Who do you Wanna be?
And we are all
About to sell It
'Cause It's Trajic
With a Capital T'
Let It Be,
Let It Be,
Let it Be!-You can make up lies & be whoever you want to be cuz everyone else is

Cause we all
Wanna Party
When a Funeral Ends
Ba ba ba, ba ba ba-The Funeral is a symbol for high school & how tough it was & since it's over you want to celebrate never going back there again

And we all get
Together when we bury
Our Friends
Ba ba ba, ba ba ba-Everyone getting together at the reunion

It's Been eight
Bitter years
Since I've been
Seing your face
Ba ba ba, ba ba ba-Not seeing your classmates for 8 years

And Your walking away
And I will Die in this place-how hard high school was

Sometimes You
Scrape And
Sink so low
I'm shocked at
What you're
Capable of-someone who was a loser in high school is now a big success

And If this is a Coronation
I Ain't
Feeling the love-everyone treating Gerard like he was treated in high school

Cause we all
A bunch of Animals
That never
Paid attention
In School-who Gerard & his friends were in high school

So tell me all
about your problems
I was Killing
Before killing was cool
You're So Cool
You're So Cool
So Cool!-people complaining about how hard the real world is & how Gerard was different before different was cool

You'll never take
Me Alive
You'll never take
Me Alive
Do what it takes to survive
Cause I'm Still here-he still can't be changed after all these years

But that's just what I'm guessing...
punkftw
Killjoy
punkftw
August 20th, 2010 at 08:29am
im pretty sure its about Gerard attending a funeral and realizing all his dreams from when he was a kid have gone wrong. or about realizing his idols from his child hood (punk bands) think modern punk sucks.(like seen in punk is not dead the movie)
Dr.Issie
Killjoy
Dr.Issie
September 9th, 2010 at 02:54am
I think it was like.. A guy who 8 years ago lost his girlfriend in highschool or college. Then She died from an overdose or something like that. but he was like who cares plenty of other people so he went to the funeral and after he party's away into the night and they all got together buring the friend. 8-9-10 years pass and he remembers that he was the one who gave the girl the drugs/alcohol that killed her..

Idk thats the best i could think of :S
Anetunisha
Killjoy
Anetunisha
September 10th, 2010 at 09:00am
Dr.Issie:
I think it was like.. A guy who 8 years ago lost his girlfriend in high school or college. Then She died from an overdose or something like that. but he was like who cares plenty of other people so he went to the funeral and after he party's away into the night and they all got together burying the friend. 8-9-10 years pass and he remembers that he was the one who gave the girl the drugs/alcohol that killed her..

Idk thats the best i could think of :S
I think thats a good interpretation of the song and it does sound pretty correct But I think the overall concept is a high school reunion and how everyone tries to be soemthing they arent. To show to their former classmates that they are better than anyone thought theyd be
idk I like yours better
brandleys;
Death Defying
brandleys;
September 10th, 2010 at 05:18pm
I always thought it was similar to I'm Not Okay- Gerard's high school years.
nerds_assemble
Killjoy
nerds_assemble
October 26th, 2010 at 07:46pm
I think that it's about having a friend who left. You had a fight with them or you had your differences and then they just up and left. He keeps seeing the same scene of his friend leaving over and over again and each time he sees it, he dies a little bit more. The friend has changed a lot and he still can't believe it's the same person.

I think the chorus says that you can't really rely on someone always being there for you. You have to defend yourself at times. People come and go out of your life all the time. For some people, you only see them at funerals, where you had a mutual friend.

Anyway, that's just my interpertation (sp?).

This is my favorite My Chem song, by the way.
xoxomycemxoxo
Killjoy
xoxomycemxoxo
October 31st, 2010 at 12:47am
Welll i dont really listen to that song often... It doesnt hit me like the other songs on that album, like Thank You For The Venom... lol
whereamI??
Killjoy
whereamI??
November 2nd, 2010 at 03:13pm
I think this song is about how you can be great friends with someone and over the years you begin to grow apart but still stay "friends" or just not enemys and it seems only the tradgety of a true friend that was close to the both off you has something happen to them. and when you run in to them at say a funeral you remeber all the good times you would have and reminics about you posibly passed or in tradgety friend and all lthe good times the three of you had.thus becoming close friends again then groing apart because the tragety is over and it kills you to lose them again so yeah...thats just my opion and sorry if the spelling blows.
Harper4884
Killjoy
Harper4884
June 9th, 2011 at 12:36pm
I think it is about separation and how it can turn even the sweetest people bitter. ("Its been nine bitter years since I've been seeing your face."Wink But I also think that its about when someone older dies there is alot of hypocracy about it. They want to party because they are celebrating his/her life. But when a young person dies its not like that, nobody laughs and nobody wants to party when the funeral ends. It also talks about getting together to bury a friend. Some people start out so close and then they drift apart over time. I know that I only see certain members of my family when their are either weddings or funerals. Its obvious that in this song their is a lot of bitterness and pent up anger. So even when the character in this story sees his friends that he hasn't seen in years he is still bitter and angry at things they have done long ago.

On a random note I love the lyrics near the end where he says "You'll never take me alive, Do what it takes to survive. And I'm still here!" (:
Lookalivesunhine34
Killjoy
Lookalivesunhine34
July 12th, 2012 at 08:32pm
I say it's about someone who is drunk and kills his girlfriend with his single best friend. He reads through her shit and sees that she loves her friends. So he kills all of her friends. A year later, he looks through her phone and sees that she hated his family, so he killed hers to pay her back. The next year, he reads through her phone and it says that she hates him. He kills every one in his town and then, himself. Of course the consequence was he would burn in hell, learning that he really did love her in the end.
ariakidding
Killjoy
ariakidding
October 25th, 2013 at 09:00am
(WARNING: Accidentally wrote a novel 'cause I got really into it and felt it needed explaining. If you like reading drivel, go for it. )
I know that I am UBER late to this party. But honestly I just never felt like cashing in my two cents till now. Here goes....
I think that every idea on here is totally true and possible. However, the one I didn't see, the meaning that I took from this song is sort of a paparazzi deal. I don't mean like celebrity problems, I mean that your secrets aren't safe anywhere. It can always come back.
In the first verse he talks about how you can't hide everything and you can't run from your past. The line starting "cause we are all a bunch of liars..." Can go two ways: yourself and others. Because it ends with your past, your secrets being "sold". "Cause it's tragic with a capital T" made me think of head lines, so press or paparazzi.
As for the chorus we are all very critical of each other and will sooner cut someone down, or worse, kick them while they're down. In that way we are an aid to their death maybe not physically but emotionally, spiritually. It seems far fetched but, I can't help but think the reality that a lot of people go to funerals for the "afterparty" lends to the metaphor that we dance on the graves of those we kill but claim to love.
The second verse I find interesting because it goes to a sort of paparazzi deal again with "scraping" for information, where "coronation" lends to the concept of "all press is good press" where you should be glad people are writing/saying things about you because that means that you're popular, important. But obviously that isn't true, especially if what they're saying is lies; and who decided it was anyone else's business? Rhetorical.
And from that I see it turning completely from you to someone else saying "tell me all about your problems I was killin before killin was cool" like a journalist saying give me your sob story I can spin it into gold. Ya know all rumplestiltskin-y. This line also ends ironically cause there's no news like someone was killed, right? Trash journalism has "killed" people by the pen for as long as news has been news, long before murder made news status.
I love the bridge section because it's almost foreshadowing the next album. It probly isn't but it feels like it and in retrospect it seems all too perfect to not be. But mostly I just love the idea of running from the ones who try to hurt you. Leaving them in your dust, they could never get you or take you alive. What can I say, I'm a bit of a western fan.
Finally, to conclude with the only lines I haven't covered: first, "it's been 8/9 bitter/10 fucking years since I been seein your face", this is where I got the connection that it's not just a paparazzi/celebrity problems deal. It's personal, people you know, people you confide in. If you don't watch it, you'll put your trust in someone who doesn't deserve it. They will use you for story time and tear you down. A bit dark, but such is life and this is obviously from experience. Very relatable. Second, "you're walking away and I will die in this place/drown in the fear." You know when you're under the thumb of someone. You know when you've confided in someone untrustworthy and you immediately regret it. They begin to tear you down brick by brick, spilling secrets, spinning stories however you want to put it and the leave you for dead in the dirt. All alone in a room. Too much metaphor. But you get the idea. You're left to die alone but not before you drown in the fear of what they'll reveal.
So essentially it's a tragic story of filthy lies, broken trust, blackmail, and leaving friends in the dust so in the end we can dance on their graves. So proud.