But honey what are you gonna do?
And you can sleep in a coffin,
But the past ain’t through with you
'Cause we are all a bunch of liars,
Tell me baby who do you wanna be?
And we are all about to sell it
'Cause its tragic with a capital ‘T’
Let it be, Let it be, Let it be

This part really speaks to me as people being superficial and fake. You know how like all the girls in school go around with big plastic smiles and all? Also, the part about the coffin to me is like running from your problems but they're still going to catch up with you...dunno lemme know what you think.
MyChemicalConspiracy
Killjoy
MyChemicalConspiracy
January 17th, 2008 at 11:42am
crap, didn't meean to post 3 times, computer messed up.
xxxGerardLoverxxx
Killjoy
xxxGerardLoverxxx
January 20th, 2008 at 10:19am
This song is very sad. It reminds me of a movie where friends had a party one gets hrt and dies, and after the funeral they walk away and never speak to each other again. Years later a friend dies and they all go to the funeral and they all meet again. But the girl the main charactor likes dosent show so he kills himself then she shows at his funeral.
xxxGerardLoverxxx
Killjoy
xxxGerardLoverxxx
January 20th, 2008 at 10:22am
What im tryin to say is they all got together when they buryed there friends the lady walks away and he dies.
StarGirl.
Jazz Hands
StarGirl.
January 22nd, 2008 at 12:03pm
and also, i always just saw it like, when it played in my ehad as them playing spin the bottle and Gerard questioning the person who it landed on.......random I know, but wouldn't that be such a cool vid?
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 1st, 2008 at 11:35pm
The song sounds like it's about how you can't trust everyone out there. People aren't always your true friends, and he's ending that message out there because he had such a hard type in high school himself.
shot_to_remember
Killjoy
shot_to_remember
February 3rd, 2008 at 08:24pm
The high school theory sounds most likely because of a) all the popularity contest references and b) the bridge, where its "They'll never take me alive..." which is basically rebelling against what I mentioned in a.
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 3rd, 2008 at 08:40pm
this is one of my fav songs. I totally believe that you can't trust everyone @ all. I had A LOT of backstabbing friends in my 8th grade yr. Once I hit high school, i think because of that, I watched my back. I acted like myself instead of trying to fit in with people who were just gonna turn around and walk away when you needed them. I think that why I love this song so much.
Misundrstood
Killjoy
Misundrstood
February 4th, 2008 at 05:59pm
i think that this is all about the fake friends that you can have, and about how once you find out their not for real then you get angry. does that make sence?
cemetaryprotestlead
Killjoy
cemetaryprotestlead
February 4th, 2008 at 07:18pm
That makes sence to me. So are we all kinda agreeing on this song being about friendships gone bad?
Jerestotle
Killjoy
Jerestotle
February 12th, 2008 at 06:30am
This doesn't fit completely, but to me the song seems to be about someone in Goth or Emo culture. And please don't start attacking me for using those words, they're the best descriptive ones I have for this. Actually, maybe it's best to call it Poser Culture... The ones that are looking for attention rather than the ones who just don't care what people think.

"Well you can hide a lot about yourself,
But honey, what're you gonna do?
And you can sleep in a coffin,
But the past ain't through with you."

To actually pass as one of the "hardcore" members of a subculture like this, some people act alot, and stifle aspects of themselves that their comrades would consider too conformist. For instance, maybe you become a goth and you have to ditch all your old surf brand clothes, you have to start liking a new sort of music or at least pretending to. In a way this is like alot of subcultures, including teenyboppers, bogans etc.
Sleeping in a coffin could be a referance to all the stupid things some goths or emos do to impress eachother, like "lets go to a graveyard and fornicate" or "lets cut ourselves and drink eachothers blood." But the past aint through with you, because no matter how hard you try, if you're faking, hiding alot about yourself, you cant escape who you really want to be.

"Cause we are all a bunch of liars.
Tell me, baby, who do you wanna be?
And we are all about to sell it,
Cause it's tragic with a capital T.
Let it be, Let it be, Let it be!"

Again, lying to feel accepted. Choosing who you want to be. Acting. Lines three and four may be a referance to people within the subculture milking eachother for sympathy, when they don't actually have a real problem, or trying to appear depressed to fit in. The last line might be saying that this is how they like it.

"Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends.
And we all get together when we bury our friends."
The tendancy to romanticise death is often an aspect of Goth or Emo culture.
"It's been eight bitter years since I've been seeing your face.
And you're walking away, and I will die in this place."
I dont really know how this could relate to my theory, except perhaps this person is only trying to fit in with these people because they want to impress whoever they're talking about. The'yre getting sick of it, but they can't stop. Then this person leaves them for some reason, and they're left on their own, in amongst all these new people they dont really fit in with, and they dont know what to do. I know this doesn't axplain why the number of years goes up.

"Sometimes I scrape and sink so low,
I'm shocked at what you're capable of.
And if this is a coronation,
I ain't feeling the love."
This verse is where my theory starts falling apart and I start sounding like a prat, because i cant find anything that fits here. Except maybe this newbie is seeing that they reallt didnt know the other person as much as they thought... Or something...

"Cause we are all a bunch of animals
That never paid attention in school.
So tell me all about your problems;
I was killing before killing was cool.
You're so cool, You're so cool, So cool!"

Maybe here the newbie is very deeply into the subculture, and has sacrificed their eductaion to be with these new friends, and saying that they were in the subculture for longer than all the new posers running around... And, um... and who they're talking to is cool for having problems...

See what I meant about the theory falling apart?

Anyway, just wanted to voice that apoinion. Have for a while. Don't crucify me for talking this way about goths and emos, or for stereotyping, or for even saying thw word "emo." All the stuff I've said is basically from personal experiance, so I'm not prejudiced, and I'll challenge alny of you to a "who's been abused more for being an "emo"" contest any day...
And plus, a perk of this being my second post is that no one really cares that much what I have to say in the first place.
Citizen Erased.
Salute You in Your Grave
Citizen Erased.
February 12th, 2008 at 09:19am
It reminds me of the Umbrella Academy for some reason....
imMATURE
Killjoy
imMATURE
February 13th, 2008 at 04:48am
This Song Rocks. The Hidden Meaning Is Like What You Say On The First Post. Its About Gerards High School Life. Thats What I Thinmk Of It Anyways.
Thats Why I Dont Make Friends. I Would Kill Them All. (:

xo
Brenny Boo
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Brenny Boo
February 15th, 2008 at 06:16am
Kill all your friends is about (probably)about kids or adults anything taking drugs and drinking isn't it?
Like the 'friends' are the pills,alcohol or anything and 'killing' them is like consuming.And in the song when they say 'we all get together when we bury our friends' its a group of people or friends who-i dont know like consume,get or drunk and then they party so in the song they say 'we all like to party when we bury our friends'
Well im only going to do that part cause im tired of typing.lol.
ikillmyfriends
Killjoy
ikillmyfriends
February 17th, 2008 at 04:39pm
I think this song is about change. About how people change. It sounds like a few highschool friends are reunited through a mutual friend's funeral. But the main character has remained basically the same throughout his life.

His friends have all changed into possibly something they said they never would be, or something they hated back in 'the day'.

Its about the main character just wanting to 'Kill All His Friends' for becoming the way they are.
Vlud
Fabulous Killjoy
Vlud
February 18th, 2008 at 11:41am
i don't know, if i'm wrong correct me but, since the 1st time i listened to the lirycs and heard the song, i thought that his friends all use to make a reunion @ the funeral when one of them died, but after the funeral they made a party like hipocrites and he says that they'll never do that to him , but to make them all pay HE'LL do that to them, 'cause he'll be the last one to die after all of them.
killallyourfriends0
Killjoy
killallyourfriends0
March 3rd, 2008 at 08:41am
i think its alot about gerards dark days and how in highscool people arnt who they really r so they can b (cool) "damn hipocrits"! and also how those people deserve to die. most of the time people dont care about 1 another till their dead!
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
March 6th, 2008 at 01:14am
This is probly not an accurate interpretation, but it just so happens our local election is around the corner & as usual there r as much lies & rumours & political dirty tricks as actual campaigning. not to mention a good dose of two-facedness. & KAYF particularly reminds me of the situation, coz of these lines....

'Cause we are all a bunch of liars,
Tell me baby who do you wanna be?
~~~
it's like, u can do this about face & preach different things to diff ppl to suit ur needs, so at the end of the day who exactly are u?

And we are all about to sell it
'Cause its tragic with a capital ‘T’
Let it be, Let it be, Let it be
~~~
So it's just a method of selling urself & selling ur cause. the whole game is tragic, full of pretension. They tell us youth to vote & not sit back & be apathetic, but we can't decide btwn 1 lie & the other so we say "let it be let it be...."

and

Sometimes u sink so low
I'm shocked at what you're capable of
~~~
which is...self explanatory.

i guess politics start all the way back in hi school & just get a bit more complex as we go along...........
Vacant3by4
Jazz Hands
Vacant3by4
March 6th, 2008 at 11:45am
i think it's about Gerard's past too, and how he's overcome so many things, and he's still here with us. Smile

'you'll never take me alive, you'll never take me alive
do what it takes to survive, cause im still here'
My Way Home
Killjoy
My Way Home
March 6th, 2008 at 08:43pm
I think this is about drug and alcohol addictions, such as Gerard's former one.

And "Killing All Your Friends" is stopping smoking and drinking.