Don't have an account? Create one!

The Universe

AuthorMessage
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
February 7th, 2007 at 09:32am
well...
there's a theory that the universe expands and contracts...
...and the contaction is responsible for the feeling of deja vu.
i don't know.
it's just some thoery.
Oxycontin Genocide.
Banned
Oxycontin Genocide.
February 10th, 2007 at 02:26pm
xrated_romance:
well...
i don't know.
it's just some thoery.

Wow, that's an interesting way to look at things! I have llike deja vu alot. It's really weird.
konton.
Always Born a Crime
konton.
February 11th, 2007 at 04:36am
I don't know why, but I have a REALLY hard time believing in the fact that the universe is endless.
abeautifuldisaster
Killjoy
abeautifuldisaster
February 11th, 2007 at 10:52pm
Oxycontin Genocide:
xrated_romance:
well...
i don't know.
it's just some thoery.

Wow, that's an interesting way to look at things! I have llike deja vu alot. It's really weird.

deja vu really is all in the mind. it has been proven scientificaly. every thing you have ever seen, felt, touched exc. has been chizzled on to your brain. even from you moment of birth. we just don't "remember" it all. things are brought back when stimulated by a later touch, sight, feeling exc. the same with deja vu. when a certain memory is stimulated by a certain scence, it creates the feeling of somthing having happened before. it is really your mind playing tricks on you. it does the same thing with dreams. dreams are messages from you entire lifetime being mixed up into one experience.

yeah. its hard to believe that it goes on forever. but than again alot of stuff we can't see yet we still believe in it.

a few hundred years ago people couldn't even imagine that anything like bacteria could exsist. they never imagined that there was a whole other world of things that we can't even see right under their noses.

i guess that is kinda like the universe. is is just me or does the thought of FORVER make you feel a tad bit overwealmed, maybe even a little sleepy?
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
July 10th, 2008 at 04:26pm
Well like a lot of people have posted, The world is a huge place.
I do think though that we will know how big it is.
I think the question is, who will take their time to do it?
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 10th, 2008 at 07:56pm
The universe is endless. I like to compare the universe to the internet, because as far as I know the internet s endless as well. You can store millions of gigabytes in it and still have room for more.
That's probably a faulty metaphor, but it makes sense to me.

I believe there are pararrallel worlds out there (not multiple universes, like Reinvent Love said, the universe is everything, so there can't be more than one.)
but perhaps there are other 'worlds' that exist side by side with ours, but separate. I don't know, it's a crazy idea.
Rexperience
Bleeding on the Floor
Rexperience
July 11th, 2008 at 02:00am
So far as I know, we are living in a 4 dimensional Universe that is pretty flat, yet warped due to the gravity of its heavenly bodies and constantly expanding. (Which means there truly is always room for desert)

Just for Reference of size, I calculated the diameter of our Milky Way Galaxy is 588 Quadrillion miles long, thats 588 with 15 zeros! And thats just our galaxy, not to mention any other larger galaxies, or clusters or super-clusters. Theres a lot of space out there...

Also the faintest star in the night sky isn't a star at all, its our closest neighboring galaxy: Andromeda. The light you see when you look at it is ancient light, meaning its taken 2.9 million years to get to earth. So when the light you are seeing now started traveling, humans didn't even exist!

For more in depth info on the Universe and the laws that govern it please read "A Briefer History of Time" by Steven Hawking and watch documentaries "The Elegant Universe" and "What the Bleep!? Down The Rabbit Hole" I highly recommend them all.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 8th, 2009 at 05:24pm
Universe"s" (plural) scientists have discovered that the mass of the universe does not add up to allow gravity, aerodynamics, and almost everything to function as it does. They think there's about five.
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
July 9th, 2009 at 04:34pm
I think that there's space, which goes on forever. The universe only takes up part of that, and if the big bang theory is true, it probably is spherical (or maybe not?), expanding from one point. There could be other universes too. And there could be other dimensions besides length, width, height, and time that we can't sense.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 9th, 2009 at 05:50pm
fawkes:
And there could be other dimensions besides length, width, height, and time that we can't sense.

Like string theory? If anyone here understands string theory I would love to have it explained to me in simple terms. It's intriguing, but I have no idea what it's saying.
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
July 10th, 2009 at 01:13am
Faraday:
Like string theory? If anyone here understands string theory I would love to have it explained to me in simple terms. It's intriguing, but I have no idea what it's saying.

I think so. We learned about something like that in my physics class. I sort of understood it, but I have no idea how to explain it.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 17th, 2009 at 03:42pm
I think that there is quite a good chance that other dimensions, and possibly even alternative realities and other planes of existence exist.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 19th, 2009 at 01:55pm
xxZalanortxx:
Universe"s" (plural) scientists have discovered that the mass of the universe does not add up to allow gravity, aerodynamics, and almost everything to function as it does. They think there's about five.

Were did you hear this? The universe is all matter and energy, it is everything by definition. There can not be more than one universe.

xxZalanortxx:
I think that there is quite a good chance that other dimensions, and possibly even alternative realities and other planes of existence exist.

Most say there are ten or eleven dimensions to the universe, but the number could actually be infinite. Of course this isn't the kind of dimensions you're talking about.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 21st, 2009 at 10:22pm
^Im going to bookmark that. There's a bunch of videos with parts of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot, they are very humbling to watch.
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 24th, 2009 at 03:08pm
Faraday:
xxZalanortxx:

Were did you hear this? The universe is all matter and energy, it is everything by definition. There can not be more than one universe.

I heard and read about it on the Science Channel, Scientific American, and a few sites on the internet. I know it sounds confusing, as the definition of "universe" is supposed to mean everyting, but it is a real theory. It was adopted in some cases, as an alternative to the expanding universe theory, and in others (the one I agree with) to go hand in hand with the theory.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 24th, 2009 at 09:34pm
xxZalanortxx:
I heard and read about it on the Science Channel, Scientific American, and a few sites on the internet. I know it sounds confusing, as the definition of "universe" is supposed to mean everyting, but it is a real theory. It was adopted in some cases, as an alternative to the expanding universe theory, and in others (the one I agree with) to go hand in hand with the theory.

hmmm... But what does it mean that the mass of the universe does not add up?
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
July 30th, 2009 at 01:44pm
What they meant by "the mass of the universe does not add up", is that their has to be a specific amount of mass in the universe for gravity, aerodynamics, and essentially every known scientific theorem to exist and function properly. Through some complex mathematical equation, they were able to find what the presume is that magical number to allow everything in the universe to function as it does. Well, then they added what is estimated to be the total mass of our universe. It wasn't the amount required. They eventually looked at if there were other universes, would it add up? They went through the similar process of the previous mathematical equation, and then added in multiple factors such as the distance between them. The result was, that with a certain number of alternate universes (presumably five) they could reach that number.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
July 31st, 2009 at 04:33am
xxZalanortxx:
What they meant by "the mass of the universe does not add up", is that their has to be a specific amount of mass in the universe for gravity, aerodynamics, and essentially every known scientific theorem to exist and function properly. Through some complex mathematical equation, they were able to find what the presume is that magical number to allow everything in the universe to function as it does. Well, then they added what is estimated to be the total mass of our universe. It wasn't the amount required. They eventually looked at if there were other universes, would it add up? They went through the similar process of the previous mathematical equation, and then added in multiple factors such as the distance between them. The result was, that with a certain number of alternate universes (presumably five) they could reach that number.
I looked this up and there's actually another explanation that I find more feasible. The presence of dark matter and dark energy would account for the gap between normal mass and the 'magic number'. I think it's more possible that there are unknown substances in the universe that we have not discovered than parallel universes.

This explains it:
Dark Matter:

Scientists estimate that 90 to 99 percent of the total mass of the universe is missing matter. Actually, "missing matter" may be misleading--it's really the light that is missing. Scientists can tell that the dark matter is there, but they cannot see it. Bruce H. Margon, chairman of the astronomy department at the University of Washington, told the New York Times, "It's a fairly embarrassing situation to admit that we can't find 90 percent of the universe". This problem has scientists scrambling to try and find where and what this dark matter is. "What it is, is any body's guess," adds Dr. Margon. "Mother Nature is having a double laugh. She's hidden most of the matter in the universe, and hidden it in a form that can't be seen"
xxZalanortxx
Killjoy
xxZalanortxx
August 3rd, 2009 at 03:03pm
Umm.. Faraday, dark matter is actually is actually most commonly identified with anti-matter. I black hole, for example is composed of (depending on your point of view) dark matter or anti-matter. Anti matter is a constant implosion, hence sucking all other materials into it and practically disintegrating it. This doesn't seem like it would add to the equation. It seems as though it would only take away.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
August 4th, 2009 at 01:08am
xxZalanortxx:
Umm.. Faraday, dark matter is actually is actually most commonly identified with anti-matter. I black hole, for example is composed of (depending on your point of view) dark matter or anti-matter. Anti matter is a constant implosion, hence sucking all other materials into it and practically disintegrating it. This doesn't seem like it would add to the equation. It seems as though it would only take away.

I think you're incorrect. Dark matter and antimatter are two completely different things. Antimatter has been created in laboratories and we know what it is. Dark matter is an unknown substance, we don't know what it is, what it's made of, or how it works. I've read a lot on dark matter and nothing I've read says that it is related to antimatter or is anymore present in a black hole than regular matter.

Nasa.gov:
Albert Einstein's theories tell us that black holes are made of pure gravitational energy. They have mass and spin, but contain no matter. Anything that falls into a black hole is converted to energy.

If black holes contain no matter then dark matter cannot be present in a black hole simply because it is matter.
Wikipedia:
In astronomy and cosmology, dark matter is hypothetical matter that is undetectable by its emitted radiation, but whose presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter. According to present observations of structures larger than galaxies, as well as Big Bang cosmology, dark matter and dark energy account for the vast majority of the mass in the observable universe. Dark matter is postulated to partially account for evidence of "missing mass" in the universe,

Nasa.gov:
Remarkably, it turns out there is five times more material in clusters of galaxies than we would expect from the galaxies and hot gas we can see. Most of the stuff in clusters of galaxies is invisible and, since these are the largest structures in the Universe held together by gravity, scientists then conclude that most of the matter in the entire Universe is invisible. This invisible stuff is called 'dark matter'. There is currently much ongoing research by scientists attempting to discover exactly what this dark matter is, how much there is, and what effect it may have on the future of the Universe as a whole

csep10.phys.utk.edu:
Dark matter is the general term for matter that we cannot see to this point with our telescopes, but that we know must be there because we see its gravitational influence on the rest of the Universe. Many different experiments indicate that there is probably 10 times more matter in the Universe (because we see its gravitational influence) than the matter that we see. Thus, dark matter is basically what the Universe is made out of, but we don't yet know what it is!...There are some fairly strong arguments based on the production of the light elements in the Big Bang indicating that the majority of the dark matter cannot be ordinary matter or antimatter...

newton.dep.anl.gov:
Brian,
Anti-matter is material that, when joined with regular matter, will often
turn into pure energy. Our universe is made of many particles, but most of
what we see are protons, neutrons, and electrons. Anti-electrons (called
positrons) are fairly easy for laboratories such as Argonne to make. When a
positron meets with an electron, they can fuse into pure energy, becoming a
matched set of matter and anti-matter particles, or often just going off as
a photon of light. The energy produced is E=mc^2, where m is the total mass
converted into energy. As protons are so much more massive than electrons
(a ratio of about 2000), anti-protons are much more difficult to create.

Dark matter is not necessarily anti-matter. Dark matter is matter that for
some reason doesn't emit or reflect light (at least not enough light for us
to see). It could be purely transparent, never interacting with light. The
gravitational field is there. Something is behaving as if it has mass.
Still, for some reason we cannot see it. At a stellar distances, light is
the only tool we have. Nobody really knows what dark matter is, but new
theories are being developed on a regular basis.

Dr. Ken Mellendorf
Physics Instructor
Illinois Central College