Don't have an account? Create one!

Polyamory

AuthorMessage
Mush
Bleeding on the Floor
Mush
February 15th, 2007 at 08:53am
For example, a man who has one wife and 2 girlfriends. Or a woman who has 1 husband and 4 boyfriends.
"I love you, and you, and you.."
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
February 15th, 2007 at 10:40am
*Polygamy.
tornpantyhose
Killjoy
tornpantyhose
February 15th, 2007 at 11:01am
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

Actually, polygamy is the act of multiple marriages, whereas polyamory is the act of multiple love.

Poly meaning more than one, gamy meaning marriage, and amory meaning love.

So she was right in saying polyamory.

Anyways, I seem to feel somewhat ambivalent about polyamory and polygamy. Sometimes, I feel that it is a blatant degradation of women and their trust (such as the polygamous marriages of certain sects of the morman religion) and a vile example of male chauvinism.

Other times I feel like the person could be being completely truthful about having feelings for more than one person. Sometimes, its not easy to distinguish love for people because its different kinds of love. I myself have been prone to having very deep feelings for more than one person, but I would never allow myself to hurt either of the people because of my own confusion.

I think I would never be involved in a polyamorus or polygamous relationship, but I cannot pass judgement on someone else's lifestyle. That is their choice.
assiralc talc
Really Not Okay
assiralc talc
February 15th, 2007 at 01:32pm
tornpantyhose:
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

Actually, polygamy is the act of multiple marriages, whereas polyamory is the act of multiple love.

Ouch, nicely corrected.

I'm not sure I have much of a problem with it, in that case. But it's hard to distinguish between someone who is in love with several people and someone who just cheats. I think it's possible to be in love with more than one person, and I don't really see why not, but I imagine it's harder to be in a functional relationship with several different people. It works on the basis that the other people are understanding about your feelings and comfortable with being 'shared'. If you're married to more than one person, then usually it's a part of your religion, and you have a community around you that accept it, so you have a support network.
tornpantyhose
Killjoy
tornpantyhose
February 15th, 2007 at 02:39pm
assiralc talc:
tornpantyhose:
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

Ouch, nicely corrected.

I'm not sure I have much of a problem with it, in that case. But it's hard to distinguish between someone who is in love with several people and someone who just cheats. I think it's possible to be in love with more than one person, and I don't really see why not, but I imagine it's harder to be in a functional relationship with several different people. It works on the basis that the other people are understanding about your feelings and comfortable with being 'shared'. If you're married to more than one person, then usually it's a part of your religion, and you have a community around you that accept it, so you have a support network.

Sorry. I took Latin.

That's basically how I feel about it. I feel that it is possible to be in love with more than one person, but I feel that some people are just taking blatant advantage of other people by saying that they are polyamorous.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
February 15th, 2007 at 03:57pm
tornpantyhose:
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

Anyways, I seem to feel somewhat ambivalent about polyamory and polygamy. Sometimes, I feel that it is a blatant degradation of women and their trust (such as the polygamous marriages of certain sects of the morman religion) and a vile example of male chauvinism.

Other times I feel like the person could be being completely truthful about having feelings for more than one person. Sometimes, its not easy to distinguish love for people because its different kinds of love. I myself have been prone to having very deep feelings for more than one person, but I would never allow myself to hurt either of the people because of my own confusion.

I think I would never be involved in a polyamorus or polygamous relationship, but I cannot pass judgement on someone else's lifestyle. That is their choice.

it's not really male chauvinism...maybe its evolved into that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the original intent.

take, for example, muslims. they practice polygyny [multiple wives for one man], but one man is only supposed to have four wives, he's supposed to provide equally for each, and he's only supposed to marry other wives for specific reasons...among them, if it's a time of war and there aren't many men, if she's widowed [especially if she has children], and so on. obviously these rules aren't always followed, but those are the intents. also, they need a lot more people in nomadic tribes, to help tend animals, etc--hence the population can be raised if each male has a number of wives rather than just one.

there's also polyandry, which is a woman having multiple husbands...it's not practiced very often, mostly in tibet, nepal and parts of india.
tornpantyhose
Killjoy
tornpantyhose
February 15th, 2007 at 04:20pm
supervegan;zombify!:
tornpantyhose:
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

it's not really male chauvinism...maybe its evolved into that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the original intent.

take, for example, muslims. they practice polygyny [multiple wives for one man], but one man is only supposed to have four wives, he's supposed to provide equally for each, and he's only supposed to marry other wives for specific reasons...among them, if it's a time of war and there aren't many men, if she's widowed [especially if she has children], and so on. obviously these rules aren't always followed, but those are the intents. also, they need a lot more people in nomadic tribes, to help tend animals, etc--hence the population can be raised if each male has a number of wives rather than just one.

there's also polyandry, which is a woman having multiple husbands...it's not practiced very often, mostly in tibet, nepal and parts of india.

All of this I acknowledge and understand, but it doesn't really pertain to the acts of polyamory and polygamy in well defined societies.

In today's world, it has turned into a show of male chauvinism. Plain and simple.

It may have started out one way, but that's what its morphed into, and that's what I'm basing my opinions on.
stuckinamerica
Killjoy
stuckinamerica
February 15th, 2007 at 09:18pm
it's chauvenism. i honestly don't care how you look at it. and that doesn't mean that i think it's right for a woman to have multiple relationships. i mean how can you truly be in love with and devoted to someone if you're in a relationship with several other people? it seems like it would just end in tragedy.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
February 15th, 2007 at 10:24pm
it's because there are three parts of attraction to a person: physical attraction, infatuation, and the "love" part. these parts of attraction are controlled by different centers of the brain, and in some people they can work completely independently of each other to the point where they can be in some way devoted to multiple people. it's kind of an extended version about how you can be in a commited relationship but still have a little crush on someone...as in, infatuation...or think so and so is hot, as in physical attraction.
MistressRhi
Motor Baby
MistressRhi
February 15th, 2007 at 11:16pm
i'm a bit half and half with this topic, some people only love one person in their lives and would never dream of being with another person, but then there are the serial cheats who just can't be faithful at all.

Like marriage this isn't for everyone and i think it would take very heavy discussing before entering into something like this, because in most occasions someone is bound to get hurt
SINATRA
Bleeding on the Floor
SINATRA
February 16th, 2007 at 05:13am
I believe that you can only truely love one person your whole life. I'm not the type to say I have fallen in love multiple times. I think there is only one person you really fall in love with in your life. That's just what I believe FOR MYSELF. I am not really opposed to someone having multiple lovers, though. I could never do it myself, but if it works for other people, then more power to them. A girl I know dates a married couple. Both of them. It's kind of weird, to think she is in a realtionship with a married couple, but she's happy, and so are they, so that's fine with me.
cheateDXHearts
Killjoy
cheateDXHearts
March 3rd, 2007 at 12:59pm
I believe it is called polygamy. I think it is ignornat and unfaithful. It is very common in the middle east though and not looked upon as wrong, I think it is dumbbb.
echo lawrence.
Jazz Hands
echo lawrence.
March 3rd, 2007 at 02:20pm
Some people only love one person. Some can't help but love two.
I'd support both.
Mush
Bleeding on the Floor
Mush
March 3rd, 2007 at 02:57pm
tornpantyhose:
assiralc talc:
*Polygamy.

druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 3rd, 2007 at 11:43pm
If everyone's happy with the situation, sure.
If not, make your choice.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
March 4th, 2007 at 06:52pm
cheateDXHearts:
I believe it is called polygamy. I think it is ignornat and unfaithful. It is very common in the middle east though and not looked upon as wrong, I think it is dumbbb.

ignorant? to elaborate on what i said earlier...

biologically speaking, it's necessary for the survival of the human species in some areas. for instance, in the middle east, it's a desert reigon where many people belonged in the past and still belong sometimes today to nomadic herding tribes. it takes a lot of people to herd large numbers of animals, so the men marry and presumably have offspring with multiple wives [it can't be more than four, but these days that rule is overlooked]. that way there are more people to look over animals.

conversely, in areas such as parts of tibet and nepal, societies need to have fewer people because of the lack of natural resources. thusly women marry multiple men, so that fewer children will be had.\

sorry if that made me sound like a snob, i was very into anthropology for a while.
Human Wreckage xx
Really Not Okay
Human Wreckage xx
March 5th, 2007 at 07:31pm
ridiculous..uncalled for...wrong.
King Of The Jews JR
Jazz Hands
King Of The Jews JR
March 6th, 2007 at 06:22am
Multiple loves i believe in, but going out with more than one at the same time i dont
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
March 6th, 2007 at 09:18pm
King Of The Jews JR:
Multiple loves i believe in, but going out with more than one at the same time i dont
That statement is an oxymoron, I believe.

You believe in loving more than one person at a time,
but not dating more than one at a time?

As long as everyone knows what is going on,
wouldn't you want to be with the ones you love,
rather than just one of them?
jedicam10
Fabulous Killjoy
jedicam10
March 7th, 2007 at 08:51pm
If they love 2 people thats their business. I dont see why others should worry.