Don't have an account? Create one!

Polyamory

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 15th, 2008 at 11:20pm
exile in guyville;:
However, I don't support any legal recognition of poly-amorous relationships, such as marriage.
That would be 'polygamy' - people being married to more than one person Shifty2
Polyamory and polygamy are different.
severus.
Awake and Unafraid
severus.
December 15th, 2008 at 11:42pm
Yeah, you're right. These terms are a bit easy to get mixed up, lol. Isn't a subject I'm very familiar with. Embarassed Thanks for correcting me. Smile

Yep, it's fine by me if people want to enter that kind of relationship. I don't foresee myself partaking in polyamory, though.

I'm curious about how polyamorus people deal with families and raising children, like how much prejudice they run into.
Ash-Peters
Killjoy
Ash-Peters
December 17th, 2008 at 07:17pm
oooh I saw a documentary on this, Dawn Porter did it. Was a tad strange, I think it opened my eyes a bit though. it used to creep me out but although one or two of the familys were very creepy there was one family that were really very sweet. I think there were 5 wives and a hella lot of children but it was very nice and they all got on. What was sad though was that the first wife was a bit hurt by having to accept the new wives when she'd been married for I think it was 16 years before the idea even came up.

So you do need to watch that you aren't hurting people with it, its a difficult thing
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
December 18th, 2008 at 03:59am
Ash-Peters:
oooh I saw a documentary on this, Dawn Porter did it. Was a tad strange, I think it opened my eyes a bit though. it used to creep me out but although one or two of the familys were very creepy there was one family that were really very sweet. I think there were 5 wives and a hella lot of children but it was very nice and they all got on. What was sad though was that the first wife was a bit hurt by having to accept the new wives when she'd been married for I think it was 16 years before the idea even came up.

So you do need to watch that you aren't hurting people with it, its a difficult thing
That isn't polyamory as such; it's polygamy. Or in this case, polygyny - where the husband had more than one wife.

As I said earlier, polygamy is different than polyamory. Practicing polyamory is like being in an open relationship - both people are happy and accepting of being in a relationship that is not monogamous. They can date other people because both parties are happy with that and they accept it. Obviously one of the wives in your example wasn't happy about the arrangement. That isn't polyamory.

Just in case anyone is confused (this is taken from the the Wiki page on polyamory:

Polyamory (from Greek πολυ [poly, meaning many or several] and Latin amor [literally “love”]) is the desire, practice, or acceptance of having more than one loving, intimate relationship at a time with the full knowledge and consent of everyone involved.

Also (and I think some people should pay attention to this):

Polyamory differs from polygamy, although the two terms are occasionally used incorrectly as if they are interchangeable. Polygamy more accurately refers to specific structures of recognized relationships, while polyamory is a personal outlook grounded in such concepts as choice, trust, equality of free will, and the idea of compersion, and newer cultural traditions distinct from the religious and cultural traditions of polygamy.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
January 21st, 2010 at 11:38pm
I'm embarrassed! I actually made a thread for this, well sort of, after searching; guess it didn't show up in the search since it's been inactive for so long.

Here's my post:

Article

What do you think? Is it unrealistic to expect your partner (or yourself) to remain in a marriage or committed lifelong relationship? Is it too much to ask for serial monogamy (one partner at a time, but multiple partners over a period of time, i.e., not cheating)?

I found it interesting that this article took into account the growing human lifespan. We do live much longer than modern, thinking humans did when the idea of a lifelong commitment was introduced.

Thoughts?