Don't have an account? Create one!

Cellphones and Driving

AuthorMessage
Chemical Sleep
Killjoy
Chemical Sleep
April 10th, 2007 at 07:53pm
I almost had someone kill me today with thier car because she was talking on her cellphone. She almost hit my car trying to cut me off to take a left.

It really does effect the way a person drives. Your 10x more likely to get into an accident if you are on the phone. If someone calls me when I am driving I either don't pick up, or pull over into a side road or parking lot to take the call.

When your driving a 1000lbs of metal, you should have full concentration. Thats the way I look at it.

I think it should be banned, and you should get a ticket if a cop catches you.
Disturbia
Salute You in Your Grave
Disturbia
April 11th, 2007 at 08:33am
In the UK you get fined for driving whilst on a mobile phone
Nyx;zombified
Killjoy
Nyx;zombified
April 13th, 2007 at 02:29pm
A little while ago in Britain, it was made illegal to talk on your mobile phone whilst driving. Any driver of any age. And recently, they also added a minimum of a £50 fine to that law. And you have to look pretty hard, but you still get these idiots that are on the phone whilst driving. I'll yell at them from the pavement (sidewalk).

It's a deathwish. Pure and simple. You would not be wrong to call that person suicidal AND homocidal. Nothing is worth a phone call that usually only lasts a few minutes.

My dad and I were driving, and he suddenly said,
"Oh my God". I asked him what was wrong, and he said, "The woman behind us is doing her lipstick in her mirror and she's swerving all over the road". A few minutes later. "Holy shit! Did you see how close she was to hitting us then?"
We ended up pulling over into a side street and waiting for her to go past, as he was not prepared to put our lives at risk. I can safely say I stopped breathing for a few seconds.
mallowsex
Killjoy
mallowsex
April 21st, 2007 at 01:21pm
I keep my phone on in my pocket when i drive. If my phone rings, i let it go to voicemail. I'm already ADD beyond I don't need something eles distracting me when I'm in control of other people's lives. Whenever I see someone on their phone and doing something stupid I usually yell out the window at them to get off their phone. One time I sat at a green light for 5 minutes cause some girl infront of me wouldn't look up from her text message and I could go around her cause traffic was bad Disgust

it was annoying.

I think cell phone driving should be limited to only head sets on the new blue tooth with the phone built into the car.
Chris Kunitz!
Joining The Black Parade
Chris Kunitz!
April 23rd, 2007 at 01:31am
I am so sick of people chatting away on their cellphones while driving and they are doing all but PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD. I am sick of being cut off by someone who was not paying attention, but fiddling around with their phone.
Oh, but then you get females who are driving and putting on make-up at the same time! Which is absolutly ridiculous.
They are all nuts, I tell you! Nah. But really. PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD OR DO NOT GET A LICENSE.
Morning Stars.
Salute You in Your Grave
Morning Stars.
May 1st, 2007 at 04:17pm
in the place where i live cellphones whilst driving isn't illegal, and we have one of the highest death rates in the world
fxmous-lxst-words
Joining The Black Parade
fxmous-lxst-words
May 22nd, 2007 at 08:26pm
my mom does that sometimes, i dont usually think about it but sometimes i get kinda scared thinking about it...my personal thought is that's what they invented the hands-free for.
ilovegerardway2much
Jazz Hands
ilovegerardway2much
May 22nd, 2007 at 08:40pm
i agree, cell phones shouldnt be allowed2 be used while driving. altho my parents do use it sometimes, nothings ever happened, but still they never learn. and sadly they never listen2me. lol.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 17th, 2007 at 09:02pm
It really angers me.
I don't even agree with blue tooth headsets.

When you're driving, you should just have quiet music in the background.
You shouldn't have it loud.
Or change radio stations.

I don't even think you should smoke at the wheel.
Pilgrim.
Salute You in Your Grave
Pilgrim.
October 17th, 2007 at 09:11pm
Hmm. There is a law over here as well that forbids you to talk to your mobile while driving unless you have some kind of a handsfree system. Personally, I don't have one. And yes, occasionally I talk on the phone while driving. I know it's wrong and I could get a fine for it, but I only talk when I have to (asking for directions with no place to stop) and I'm very careful. No, I don't text while driving. My brother does, and it makes me mad. Talking is one thing, you can actually look at the road while doing it, but texting makes it impossible. I drive a lot, and long distances at times, and I see nothing wrong with picking up the phone when you're driving on a freeway with no-one else in sight. I wouldn't talk during a rush hour in a big city, I'd only end up getting myself (or someone else) killed.
Mandi4MCR
Killjoy
Mandi4MCR
October 18th, 2007 at 07:10pm
truthfully i dont see a problem with driving and texting as long as your paying attention and worrying more about driving than texting! also this isnt a problem in my state so personally this doesnt even effect me! so yea....
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
October 18th, 2007 at 07:12pm
I_luv_Gerard_03:
truthfully i dont see a problem with driving and texting as long as your paying attention and worrying more about driving than texting! also this isnt a problem in my state so personally this doesnt even effect me! so yea....

I don't see why you can't wait until you've stopped driving though.
Is it worse killing someone or yourself over a text?
The music.
Salute You in Your Grave
The music.
September 20th, 2008 at 05:30pm
I personally think the law is good because my dad towed his car wile on the phone when driving.
The music.
Salute You in Your Grave
The music.
September 20th, 2008 at 05:32pm
I personally think the law is good because my dad towed his car wile on the phone when driving.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
October 15th, 2008 at 06:30pm
hoppy.:
It's a new law in some states that if your
Between the ages of 16-18 you can't text or talk on the phone while driving
In others you can only use a headset to talk your cellphone if your of any age

I don't drive yet...
but what's your opinion on the matter?
Do you think it's unfair?
Or safe?

I dont think you should EVER be able to text while driving, thats how accidents happen, and im sorry, but you can wait to see what your friend is texting to you.
As far as talking goes, if you have like a bluetooth headset then its not AS big of a deal if you didnt but i dont approve of talking while driving because, again, thats how accidents happen.
and i dont think its fair to everyone else, our lives get to be put in danger on the road just becuase some jerk wont hang up the phone?
HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 15th, 2008 at 08:04pm
hoppy.:

I don't drive yet...
Or safe?

Wait?@?!? So it's okay to talk and drive if you are over 18? Why would older people be able to drive any text better than younger people??? If you can't text it should apply to EVERYBODY!
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
October 15th, 2008 at 09:02pm
^ I agree. I know the restrictions are placed on younger drivers because they're considered to be much more inexperienced and therefore should be forced to have as few distractions as possible while they're essentially still learning to drive, but I totally agree - cellphones should not be used, at all, by anybody, while the car is moving. ESPECIALLY texting. It's illegal to talk on a handset or text while driving where I live, but the fact is, you have to actually get caught doing it to get fined, and unless somebody starts kitting CCTVs in every car on the road so that somebody can watch us at all times, hardly anybody bothers to pay attention to the law - it's like speeding, you're not MEANT to do it, but the only time you don't is when you know that police patrol the area you're about to drive into.

It frightens me that there are so many idiots out there who honestly believe that talking, and especially texting, doesn't affect their driving ability. I KNOW without even having statistics touted at me that yabbering on your phone or, God forbid (because honestly, it's the absolute stupidest thing you could do in a car, bar maybe driving on the wrong side of the road in heavy traffic), texting, is a huge distraction that could be potentially fatal for either yourself or some other poor person on the road.

Honestly, I don't care if people want to put their own lives at risk. Commit suicide at will, I'm all for whatever. But you get on the road and put not just your own life, but MINE, my family's, my friends', everybody else's.... you're a complete asshole. Seriously, nothing is that important that it can't wait until you get to your destination, or can find a place to pull over and check your phone. Don't people realise that a stupid text from somebody could kill them, or somebody else? Is it really worth it?
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
October 16th, 2008 at 01:17pm
^amen to that. its one thing for your actions to endanger yuor life, but endangering other lifes, thats messed up
HintFEAR08
Killjoy
HintFEAR08
October 16th, 2008 at 03:26pm
^
Exactly. I agree with CAS and ghostgirl. No matter what, it is a DISTRACTION. Even if you have been driving 20 years that doesn't mean it is any less dangerous to talk and text. It is science. If you are focused on something other than driving you are putting other people in danger.
MyChemicalBlack
Salute You in Your Grave
MyChemicalBlack
October 19th, 2008 at 06:08pm
HintFEAR08:
hoppy.:

I don't drive yet...
Or safe?

Wait?@?!? So it's okay to talk and drive if you are over 18? Why would older people be able to drive any text better than younger people??? If you can't text it should apply to EVERYBODY!

Yeah, that law's a pain-- they've adopted it in my state.
Though the sad thing is, it's the adults who cause the most accidents.
Not to say teens are any better, but SERIOUSLY, older drivers are more hazardous with phones. Disgust