Don't have an account? Create one!

Curfews

AuthorMessage
PunkerThanThou
Thinking Happy Thoughts
PunkerThanThou
February 25th, 2007 at 10:27am
So I figured I might as well post it, I feel slightly violent.

So, I'm not even sure how many other states have this, I know DC and now Boston do; Boston recently issued a curfew that states any persons under the age of 21 must be kicked out of any live music performance, DJ, or night club at 11 PM; city officials apparently believe this will help lower killings that occur at 2 AM.
(If anyone knows the DC curfew, I'd be interested in knowing what it is.)

But in all honesty, I think they're completely destroying this city as we know it.

1) The city is prepared for the violence near these clubs, they damn well know it's going to happen- if the kids have no where to go, trust me on this, they WILL go out to urban neighborhoods, where people AREN'T ready for it- and I can well assume there will be a heightened number of underage drinkers driving around.

2) Also, the music scene is definitely going to start dying out. Boston is well known for its music, indie bands, etc- the indie bands here are promoted by opening for bigger bands. The general age reception these concerts get are between the ages 14-21. The headlining bands are going to be really pressed for time if the shows end at 11, considering most shows here have about four opening bands- opening bands will become extremely scarce, and bands are going to have a hard time getting promoted.

So, I wanted to know if anyone else heard of this, and what you think.
Catharsis
Jazz Hands
Catharsis
February 26th, 2007 at 06:35pm
My town is wanting to bring in a lockout for people of all ages, so that after 1 or 2am there will be no entry allowed to licensed venues, people already inside will be allowed to remain but noone else will be allowed to enter.

I personally dont think this or the example outlined above will have much of an affect at all, people will always find another place to go and something else to do. If someone is looking for a fight, then i really don't think a curfew is going to stop them from finding one.

Removing people from venues at 11 pm or baring them from entry at 1 or 2 am is going to mean that if anything there are more people on the streets, which would surely increase the amount of conflicts, loutish behaviour and destruction of property that occurs, compared to if people were still allowed into these venues, meaning there were less people on the streets.

As for the music scene, if the bands and fans are both genuine they will find a way around it.
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
February 26th, 2007 at 11:18pm
And I'm totally oblivious to all of this. ><

But Eli, your argument seems sound, so I'm agreeing that it's a bad thing for now. (pathetic xD)
I haven't thought of anything really supporting curfews.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
February 27th, 2007 at 12:22am
PunkerThanThou:
1) The city is prepared for the violence near these clubs, they damn well know it's going to happen- if the kids have no where to go, trust me on this, they WILL go out to urban neighborhoods, where people AREN'T ready for it- and I can well assume there will be a heightened number of underage drinkers driving around.

That point is extremely valid - I've seen it happen here in Aus due to our 3am lockout rule (after 3am, if you leave a venue you are not admitted again, if you want to go to a different bar/venue, you have to get there before 3 or they won't let you in).
And the worse thing is that in a small 'country town' like the one where I live (40,000 people roughly) there are no accommodations made for under-18s (drinking age here is 18, not 21), so the people roaming the streets late at night in suburban areas causing havoc and vandalising property etc are the high schoolers who have nothing better to do on a Saturday night than get drunk at a park or a friends' house and then go wreak some chaos. Our town is basically held hostage every Fridy and Saturday, and every night of the week during school holidays, because it's become highly unsafe to be on the streets after about 9:30pm because of these drunk idiots.
I don't agree with the 3am club lockout for adults as it is, but at least a 25-year-old is more likely to catch a taxi home - the bored teenagers looking for fun are my concern.
We need to find something for them to do, and the saddest thing is, is that underage discos and the like are considered to cater for 11-year-olds - a 15-year-old is going to get their parents to buy them alcohol and get wasted on a weekend, not even consider spending the night at a 'lame' blue-light disco. It seems they're not cool or able to have any fun without being drunk and knocking over people's letterboxes...
I don't know what the whole point of that post was, I just needed to vent my disgust with today's youth.
IXPROMISE
Jazz Hands
IXPROMISE
March 1st, 2007 at 05:02pm
i agree with curvews people my age have no buisness being out that late
anyway
Chris Kunitz!
Joining The Black Parade
Chris Kunitz!
April 24th, 2007 at 04:29am
myxicyxblues:
anyway

Very well put! No one under 18 should be out at all hours of the night. I do not even think 18 or 19-year-olds should be out so late. They are children for crying out loud. But those especially under 18 do not need to be cruising the streets at all hours of the night.
Blue_Demon
Motor Baby
Blue_Demon
April 24th, 2007 at 02:07pm
How are these curfew's going to enforced?
I kinda find it weird that kids are able to get out and that there parent's aren't able to try and keep them in.......... That sounds wrong, what I mean is why are the goverment worried about kids causing fights ect? Is there any actual proof that it does work and there are less killings?
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
April 26th, 2007 at 09:56pm
Blue_Demon:
How are these curfew's going to enforced?
I kinda find it weird that kids are able to get out and that there parent's aren't able to try and keep them in.......... That sounds wrong, what I mean is why are the goverment worried about kids causing fights ect? Is there any actual proof that it does work and there are less killings?

It shouldn't be about 'less killings' or any other crap like that. The person above you had it totally right when they said that kids have no business being out on the street at all hours of the night.
It's that simple.
I never had a curfew as a teenager, which was cool, but I never abused my parents' trust by saying I was going to be at one place, and then sneaking off with my friends to roam around and cause trouble, vandalise property, and essentially hold people hostage in their own homes on a Friday night. And, if I'd misbehaved at school or had a fight with my parents and they said I couldn't go to a party, I never disrespected them by sneaking out the window and going off without their permission.
It's about respect for other people - kids need discipline, and to me, discipline means being cooped up at times - you can't have all the freedom in the world, and it's a lot safer for teens to be at home where they're being supervised, than out on the streets in the middle of the night where they could get raped, attacked, or otherwise hurt.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
April 29th, 2007 at 11:18am
XMusicDudetteX:
myxicyxblues:
anyway

Very well put! No one under 18 should be out at all hours of the night. I do not even think 18 or 19-year-olds should be out so late. They are children for crying out loud. But those especially under 18 do not need to be cruising the streets at all hours of the night.

yup, children who are sometimes living on their own, paying their own bills, and so on.

i know that's what i'll be doing when i'm 19.

and as for right now...going to shows is hardly "cruising the streets". although i'm sure that, faced with having to leave a gig at 11, kids will probably wander around being bored.

if you or anyone else think kids shouldn't be wandering around at all hours of the night, that's the parent's responsibility to enforce. my parents have a curfew for me--it's not set, but it's generally shifting between 11pm and 1am, depending on what mood my parents are in, where i'm going and who i'm going to be with. and if the parent doesn't enforce a curfew that you find agreeable, who are you to say they're wrong?

parents need to be the ones setting curfews, limits on what games/movies their kids can get, and so on, not the government.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 1st, 2007 at 02:09am
^ The thing is, a lot of kids are so disrespectful of authority that even if a curfew is imposed on them, they will sneak out, lie or find other ways around it so they can go hang out where they shouldn't be.
My parents were always very lenient with me, and allowed me to stay out at a friend's house or at a friend's party until 4am or later. But in return, I never abused that trust by telling them I'd be one place, then go somewhere else, I always told them if I would be drinking, who would be with me, and during the week I followed their rules to the letter and never complained, disrespected or disobeyed them. Not having a curfew was my reward, and I treasured it - but then, if all my friends had to be home by 12, I'd be home by 12 too because I saw no point in staying out by myself, as some kids do.
A lot of my friends used to lie to their parents, and then the parents would blame me when they got found out. 'Oh, Donna's the one who's always out so late, she must have encouraged my kid to do it, what a bad influence,' etc, which was bullshit.
And yes, some kids are living on their own and paying their own bills by the age of 19, but those kids are very far and few between, and hey, if they're paying rent and bills by themselves, they probably don't have enough money to be going out every weekend - I know I sure don't, and I'm nearly 21.

The thing is, parents can't always enforce their rules. They can't always have their kid within eyesight, and therefore your argument would only ever work in a utopian society. Parents aren't dumb, but they do tend to be complacent or tied up with their own stuff and kids can usually find a way around their rules and do what they want - which isn't always safe, or legal, or sensible.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 1st, 2007 at 06:03am
and if kids can find their way around their parents rules, they can find their way around the government's rules as well. kids under twenty one/legal drinking age wherever they are tend to be able to drink, kids smoke pot, and so on. i don't think allowing the parents to make the rules is perfect by any means, i just think it's better to allow them to use their discresion [sp?] than to allow the government to set a blanket curfew...epsecially one as early as 11.and it's not even a traditional "curfew", you just get kicked out of gigs and stuff, meaning if you're gonna stay out later you're either going to a friend's house or wandering around town.

Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
May 5th, 2007 at 12:22am
Caitlin Caustic;;:
i don't think allowing the parents to make the rules is perfect by any means, i just think it's better to allow them to use their discresion [sp?] than to allow the government to set a blanket curfew...epsecially one as early as 11.and it's not even a traditional "curfew", you just get kicked out of gigs and stuff, meaning if you're gonna stay out later you're either going to a friend's house or wandering around town.
Okay, I have to admit that you kind of got me on that one. Yes, I totally agree that parents should be able to make their own decisions regarding their children without the interference of the government (I'm particularly passionate about parents having the right to discipline their children through spanking, and if any government or law tries to tell me I can't smack my kid's ass for misbehaving, I'll do it anyway), but I guess what I was trying to say is that there are far too many parents these days who either don't care or can't control their kids, so having such a curfew in place could help keep kids off the streets after a certain hour, or at least deter them from being out after hours because if a law has been passed, they can be punished by the police if caught, rather than trying to use parental punishment as a deterrent (because a lot of parents, as I said, either don't care, or the consequences they deal out aren't harsh enough to encourage their kids to behave).
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
May 5th, 2007 at 10:00am

yeah but it seems that this curfew only applies to "live music performances, DJ, or night clubs"--meaning, if you're somewhere else, that's okay.

in my experience with my friends, if we leave somewhere and have time to kill before we have to be home, we don't normally go home early--we find something to do.

and even with a total blanket curfew--as in, you're out of your home after 11 and you're under 21, you get punished--it's not really fair. firstly because i know i've been at things as innocent as birthday parties and not gotten home until after midnight. secondly because you're legally an adult at 18. you can vote, enlist in the army, live on your own, sign contracts--but then you can't stay out of your home after 11 until you're 21?

anyway, if you're out causing problems, the cops will be able to arrest you, curfew or not. all the curfew does is make it so that all kids out after 11 are treated as criminals rather than some, which i'm sure isn't the case, because being out after a certain hour doesn't exactly prove that you're doing something wrong. and if the parent really doesn't have a problem with a kid being out after a certain hour, there could be a reason for that--for instance, my parents trust me to be out until anywhere from 12-1 am.
mcr_grl296
Killjoy
mcr_grl296
July 27th, 2007 at 03:49am
i live on an army base so if your under 18 you have to be in at 11:30 on school nights and 1:30 in the summer and on weekends.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
July 27th, 2007 at 02:34pm
Here, I think, there's something similar to this but it's not like a law or anything and it isn't very strongly enforced.

But, if they see anyone that looks young alone, maybe walking by the side of the road they ask why they're up, and sometimes give them a ride home from what I've heard.

I think the idea behind curfews is good, but the actual curfew can intrude in a lot of things, so they have to come up with something else.

Something similar to curfews but different so that it does it's job, but doesn't disrupt businesses and any artist that are performing.
Helena'sGhOsT
Jazz Hands
Helena'sGhOsT
July 27th, 2007 at 05:04pm
Her Dark Materials.:
Here, I think, there's something similar to this but it's not like a law or anything and it isn't very strongly enforced.

But, if they see anyone that looks young alone, maybe walking by the side of the road they ask why they're up, and sometimes give them a ride home from what I've heard.

I think the idea behind curfews is good, but the actual curfew can intrude in a lot of things, so they have to come up with something else.

Something similar to curfews but different so that it does it's job, but doesn't disrupt businesses and any artist that are performing.
thts how its is whr i am too, but thats totally unfair to kick kids out Iam mean at least give them a refond or something after all they pay to see shows like every one else
Helena'sGhOsT
Jazz Hands
Helena'sGhOsT
July 27th, 2007 at 05:04pm
Her Dark Materials.:

thts how its is whr i am too, but thats totally unfair to kick kids out Iam mean at least give them a refond or something after all they pay to see shows like every one else
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
May 8th, 2009 at 01:25am
Dont they realise that not all teens want to kill people and cause fights! jeeeez!

If there has to be a curfew then make it so that 14-18 years old are not allowed on the STREETS after 11pm... not at live music performances... that way kids can still go see bands but go home straight after... and bands wont be affected.

over 18's i think is stupid, i mean your a ADULT! You already get told what to do as a teenager, you shouldnt as a adult!
BRETTage-MCR4eva
Banned
BRETTage-MCR4eva
May 8th, 2009 at 05:38am
Curfews are allright just as long as its not for like 7pm or summit stuupid liek that...
Debbie
Killjoy
Debbie
May 8th, 2009 at 06:11am
the only reason why we hav curfews it cuz our parent r onli trying to protect us,i kno they suck but i would rather hav a parent tht cared thn one tht dont. and as brett sed they r alright as long as its a reasonable time.