Don't have an account? Create one!

Sex Education

AuthorMessage
geesworstnightmare
Killjoy
geesworstnightmare
March 11th, 2007 at 07:42pm
sex ed is a waste of tax-payers money,the parents should teach their kids about sex
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
March 11th, 2007 at 07:45pm
^Yeah, but not all parents will. Which means a whole bunch of sexually active kids would be running around not knowing how to use a condom.
AmberGirl
Killjoy
AmberGirl
March 11th, 2007 at 08:04pm
druscilla_way:
xxxDeathAngelxxx:
only allow it if your parents approve it!
thats all i have to say

If your parents don't approve it, they have problems.
Unless they plan to teach it themselves.
Do they want their 15-year-old daughter to sit them on the couch and say she's knocked up?
I don't think so.
Parents are scared to talk to their kids about sex and they're not as well informed as educators.
Erego, I think educators should teach sex education.

Educators also have experience in the "field". So, they won't be rattled by questions like "How does he get it up there" That was one that got asked it my class.

Also parents come from different backgrounds and walks of life as a result have different views on sex, so I think it would be better to let someone who is just telling students unbias information do it, then.
heartache to sing
Bleeding on the Floor
heartache to sing
March 12th, 2007 at 02:06am
geesworstnightmare:
sex ed is a waste of tax-payers money,the parents should teach their kids about sex

At this point I'm reminded of a South Park episode in which Chef informs the parents that kids learning about sex in school is wrong, because they could be learning it from someone who doesn't know, someone who has a bad opinion of it, or someone who's a complete pervert (Mr. Garrison Very Happy ).
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 12th, 2007 at 03:01am
heartache to sing:
geesworstnightmare:

At this point I'm reminded of a South Park episode in which Chef informs the parents that kids learning about sex in school is wrong, because they could be learning it from someone who doesn't know, someone who has a bad opinion of it, or someone who's a complete pervert (Mr. Garrison Very Happy ).

Still, parents don't know how to teach education or all the facts.
Their parents could have a bad opinion, not know, or be a complete pervert.
Worst case scenario: A pedophile parent who teaches their kid about sex by molesting them.
bloodredruby69
Banned
bloodredruby69
March 12th, 2007 at 03:10am
That's a little far into the dark end of the pool, isn't it Dru?
Sure, there are sick people out there who do molest their/other children,
but when that happens, sex ed is the farthest thing from the adult's mind.

To be perfectly honest, most people don't want to learn about sex
from their parents. It's "uncomfortable, awkward, and embarassing" to
most, to do a rough sum-up, and the parents are usually not feeling much
more comfortable than you are.

I think that it is better to learn about sex in school, because often people ask
questions of the sex-eds that they would never dream of asking their parents.
That, and a lot of sex-eds (at least, where I am) ARE teenagers who have gone
through training and have the knowledge, so it is more of a peer situation.
Ceiling Gerard
Awake and Unafraid
Ceiling Gerard
March 12th, 2007 at 07:16am
I think the only way sex ed could be beneficial is if both the school and the parents stop treating sex like such a "Taboo" subject. Kids are having sex younger and younger- I know of a girl who was sexually active when she was a mere nine year old. They need to know the facts; from using proper protections and how waiting until you are older is better that doing it because everyone else is.
threepeat
Killjoy
threepeat
March 13th, 2007 at 06:18pm
I think that sex education is a waste of time expecially since the teachers are retarded and don't understand that we don't listen to them. Ecspecially since one of my teachers told us that we had to practice abstinence, and even after we marry we can't have sex.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 13th, 2007 at 07:59pm
solarflarepownsmyx3:
I think that sex education is a waste of time expecially since the teachers are retarded and don't understand that we don't listen to them. Ecspecially since one of my teachers told us that we had to practice abstinence, and even after we marry we can't have sex.

That's why I don't believe in abstinence-only sex education.
heartache to sing
Bleeding on the Floor
heartache to sing
March 13th, 2007 at 08:19pm
If the parents don't wanna talk about sex with their kids, and the kids don't wanna hear about it from their parents, the parents should give them a book.

Is anyone familiar with the book "Where Did I Come From?"

It's where I learned where I came from.Razz
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 13th, 2007 at 09:48pm
heartache to sing:
If the parents don't wanna talk about sex with their kids, and the kids don't wanna hear about it from their parents, the parents should give them a book.

Is anyone familiar with the book "Where Did I Come From?"

It's where I learned where I came from.Razz

Yeah, I've heard of it.
I woke up one day and knew what sex was, but my parents never told me anyway.
We didn't actually learn what sex was until my sophomore year of high school.
A little too late for lots of people.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
March 14th, 2007 at 01:26am
If you're not even going to bother to listen to what someone is trying to teach, that doesn't make anyone but you look ignorant. Literally ignorant. Sure, you might know what they're talking about, but put yourself in the teachers' shoes. First off, they don't probably want to talk about it either. It's just an awkward subject for anyone to talk about, especially an adult to other kids.
Abstinence-only programs are usually anything but. People are so quick to call them abstinence only only because they MENTION abstaining from sex many times. this does NOT make the program abstinence only. If they go as far as to mention condoms, birth control and other precautions, this is not teaching abstinence-only.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 14th, 2007 at 07:22pm
xMari_Malicex:
If you're not even going to bother to listen to what someone is trying to teach, that doesn't make anyone but you look ignorant. Literally ignorant. Sure, you might know what they're talking about, but put yourself in the teachers' shoes. First off, they don't probably want to talk about it either. It's just an awkward subject for anyone to talk about, especially an adult to other kids.
Abstinence-only programs are usually anything but. People are so quick to call them abstinence only only because they MENTION abstaining from sex many times. this does NOT make the program abstinence only. If they go as far as to mention condoms, birth control and other precautions, this is not teaching abstinence-only.

Abstinence-only sex education is a form of sex education which emphasizes abstinence from sex, to the exclusion of all other types of sexual and reproductive health education, particularly regarding birth control and safe sex. This type of sex education promotes sexual abstinence until marriage and either completely avoids any discussion about the use of contraceptives, or only reveals failure rates associated with such use.

Every sex ed program should mention abstinence as the only 100% safe birth control method.
But it shouldn't be stupid and exclude discussion of other forms of birth control in a positive way.
xMari_Malicex
Motor Baby
xMari_Malicex
March 14th, 2007 at 10:11pm
That's just what I said. O_o...
Or rather, that was supposed to be the point people got from what I said.
I'm addressing the fact that kids think a program is abstinence only when it's even just mentioning it. There are kids who think this. It's silly.
I've never been taught any abstinence-only things. They do mention abstinence as the only safe method of birth control, though.
Soda Pop and Ritalin
Killjoy
Soda Pop and Ritalin
March 16th, 2007 at 04:33pm
Sex education is NOT a watse of tax payer money. I work in a Family practice and do you know how many parents don't even knwo you can get STD's in your mouth from oral sex? Or how many teens have no idea what Clamydia is? Or that some STD's can be cured or controlled and some can't. How about the fact that boys are carriers for almost everything and girls just contract it? I'm all about sex ed at about teh age of tweleve becasue kids are doing it younger and younger. A friend of mine always used to say; "Don't catch anything you can't wash off." Bizzarre, yes, but think about hwo many people don't even know what that means.
Moses
Motor Baby
Moses
March 16th, 2007 at 04:40pm
i agree sex education should be taught but in scotland where i live childrent are being taught about masturbation and shown videos of women ' pleasuring' themselves at the age of 5. bit much dont you think?
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
March 16th, 2007 at 10:18pm
TheLastActionHero:
i agree sex education should be taught but in scotland where i live childrent are being taught about masturbation and shown videos of women ' pleasuring' themselves at the age of 5. bit much dont you think?

Yeah, I think so.
I think offering the statement of masturbation as an alternative to sex is okay, but it doesn't need to be taught in school.
That's where you cross the point of sexual education.
It's like teaching students which positions offer the most sexual pleasure.
Not acceptable.
idk. my bff jill?
Demolition Lover
idk. my bff jill?
March 17th, 2007 at 12:03am
They start sex-ed in 5th grade around here,and you can only take the class if your parents allow you [same in middle school] and I think that's pretty screwed up because everyone needs to know about sex and the dangers of STDs and all. Like many of you all have said,kids who don' get taught anything are going to end up pregnant.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
March 18th, 2007 at 08:33pm
we start sex ed here in fifth grade--that seems early, but all you really learn is "this is how babies are made" and how your body works...it's important to do this then because most girls start their periods around 6-7th grades, and you want them to know what the hell is going on, that they're not bleeding to death, and so on. this program is abstinence-only.

after that, we have a health class in 9th or 10th grade [it recently got changed so i'm not quite sure which] in which birth control is touched on but discouraged--they also say that you WILL get ghonorrea of the eye from giving someone a hand job if you rub your eye, but not if you shake hands with someone who has said germs on their hands and then rub your eye, as if there's some magical barrier. obviously there's something wrong with how they do this because our school has one of the highest rates of STDs in the state, i believe. still our program is better than a lot that i've heard about...
x_DemolitionLover
Killjoy
x_DemolitionLover
March 19th, 2007 at 08:12am
I think that they need to wait for sex education.
teaching 5th graders about fucking somebody encourages them.
but abstanice only is bullshit.
they need to teach safe-sex practices
there are too many slut bags on this earth and they'll all get prego and breed slut-bag kids.