Don't have an account? Create one!

Sex Education

AuthorMessage
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 19th, 2007 at 11:14am
^
We convinced one of my friends you could pregnant from swallowing semen during oral sex because it would travel through your body and some of it would be transferred to your ovaries.
Poor girl. We told her the truth.
Another time I heard pistachios could get you pregnant. Yes, pistachios.

And in my sister's school they have a poster telling them to wait until their married. Which is great except that some kids won't and they have no idea how to protect themselves. How can you get mad at teenagers for getting pregnant if you don't give them the knowledge to keep from doing so?
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 19th, 2007 at 03:28pm
^that's funny, my friend explained what oral sex was too me and i thought you could get pregnant from it, but when i asked my health teacher i learned the truth. at my school the health teacher i had taught us alot so we were pretty well covered. but she was the only teacher left in the distirect teaching that much and making us do the baby project, poor woman always got shit about it, but she kept going
ChemicalReaction922
Fabulous Killjoy
ChemicalReaction922
June 19th, 2007 at 03:50pm
druscilla; in rags:
^
How can you get mad at teenagers for getting pregnant if you don't give them the knowledge to keep from doing so?

i completely agree with this! i've had to take many sex ed classes before and although they've been tedious, they're really informative, especially to those who haven't taken them before. I'm actually required to take another one next year for two terms.

I go to a boarding school and they preach safe sex to the point that they give out free condoms at the health center. Most kids just take them for fun. My school actually acknowledges the fact that schools can't prevent kids from having sex so they're doing their best to preach safe sex. I think it's a good idea and that other schools should do it too.
ChemicalReaction922
Fabulous Killjoy
ChemicalReaction922
June 19th, 2007 at 03:50pm
druscilla; in rags:
^
How can you get mad at teenagers for getting pregnant if you don't give them the knowledge to keep from doing so?

i completely agree with this! i've had to take many sex ed classes before and although they've been tedious, they're really informative, especially to those who haven't taken them before. I'm actually required to take another one next year for two terms.

I go to a boarding school and they preach safe sex to the point that they give out free condoms at the health center. Most kids just take them for fun. My school actually acknowledges the fact that schools can't prevent kids from having sex so they're doing their best to preach safe sex. I think it's a good idea and that other schools should do it too.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 19th, 2007 at 06:45pm
druscilla; in rags:
^
We convinced one of my friends you could pregnant from swallowing semen during oral sex because it would travel through your body and some of it would be transferred to your ovaries.
Poor girl. We told her the truth.
Another time I heard pistachios could get you pregnant. Yes, pistachios.

And in my sister's school they have a poster telling them to wait until their married. Which is great except that some kids won't and they have no idea how to protect themselves. How can you get mad at teenagers for getting pregnant if you don't give them the knowledge to keep from doing so?

EXACTLY!
I totally agree - abstinence-only education is outdated and useless. Yeah, my mum gave me abstinence-only education, if you will - all she ever said to me was that 'You wait until you have a ring on your finger' and then after she knew I'd lost my virginity, 'Don't make me a grandmother before I'm 50.'
That was it. The entire extent of my sexual education at home.
THANK GOD for being able to attend a class where the teacher said, 'We'd prefer you wait until you're married, but if you really, really can't do it, this is a condom' etc.
I even asked my mother to take me to the doctor to get a prescription for the Pill when I was 15 and had been with my boyfriend for over six months. She flat-out refused, and told me that I didn't need it because I wouldn't be having sex before I got married! And here's me trying to do the right thing - thankfully we could get condoms from any old supermarket with no questions asked.
Like you said, at least if kids have the knowledge to help them make smarter decisions, the chances are they will use that advice to their advantage, rather than put themselves in a situation where they could be throwing their lives away.
Ignorance is not always bliss.
druscilla.
Bleeding on the Floor
druscilla.
June 19th, 2007 at 07:29pm
My mother always gave us too much information on sex. She gave us all the right information and then had to add things like 'if you have sex on your period just do it on a towel'.

-eye roll-

But she did teach us what we needed to know.

I still ask her sex questions and she is always up front about the answers. Same with my sister.

My dad, however, found a condom wrapper in my drawer and all but called me a wh-re. In reality, my friends and I had blown up a condom and drawn on it with lipstick. My dad didn't take the opportunity to discuss safe sex with me. He probably should have.
x..touching_hands..x
Really Not Okay
x..touching_hands..x
June 19th, 2007 at 09:19pm
Ultimately, people will make their own decisions. Teachers can no more force young people not to have sex than they can, say, force them to choose a specific religion or listen to a particular type of music. What they can, and should as role models do, is encourage people to value their bodies and make their own, informed choices, based on a solid foundation of knowledge. If sex is not 'hidden away' or treated as taboo, there is no fear or shame in asking questions. It is when stupid concepts like 'wait until you are married, full stop' are brought in that people feel they cannot talk about it, and cannot access information. Of course if people want to wait until marriage, that's fine, but ultimately it's a personal decision, and one that should be respected and educationally supported.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 21st, 2007 at 09:01pm
^exactly that's like the best way to put it, thank you! whatever happened to free will? very well said
My Hero:
Demolition Lover
My Hero:
June 25th, 2007 at 01:37pm
I remember in fifth grade watching the dreaded "Puberty" video in a class room with all of the other girls. That was horrible, but they didn't say a thing about sex. In 6th grade was when we got the formal "talk" about it, and then we watched yet another video on puberty. Then they didn't go into a lot of detail. I have to say it wasn't until my 9th grade year that I learned a lot, and that was just on getting pregnant.

My teacher, in 9th grade, said that she would answer any question to the best of her knowledge, but she had rules on what she could and couldn't answer. She said that in 12th grade we would be getting the real "Sex Education" class. I find this stupid, because a lot (I'm not saying most, because I really don't know) of the kids in my school are doing it and they're not in 12th grade yet. I really think that we should get a Sex Ed. class way before 12th grade, like maybe when we enter high school...
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
June 25th, 2007 at 04:34pm
^at our school you get all most all of it in 7th then the rest in 9th
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 25th, 2007 at 08:25pm
DaFatGnome:
She said that in 12th grade we would be getting the real "Sex Education" class. I find this stupid, because a lot (I'm not saying most, because I really don't know) of the kids in my school are doing it and they're not in 12th grade yet. I really think that we should get a Sex Ed. class way before 12th grade, like maybe when we enter high school...

I definitely agree. I read somewhere the other day that something along the lines of 73% of teenagers lose their virginity well before they graduate high school - only 20% lose it after graduation (while unmarried), the other 6% abstain until marriage.
So going by that statistic, it would make far, far more sense to give kids the proper 'talk' well before the age of 17 (or whatever senior year is where you are, in Australia you graduate the year you turn 17), before they go and find out for themselves. The idea of sex ed is to inform sexually inactive people so that when the time comes to become active, they have the knowledge already. What's the point in learning it afterwards?

I definitely agree with what you said... teaching kids about puberty until they're well into their late teens is pointless - especially as a lot of kids (girls especially) are beginning puberty at much younger ages these days. When I was younger, the average age of a girl's first period was about 13. Nowadays it's more like 9 or 10, so I think puberty should be taught at a younger age, and therefore so should sex.
Addictied To Gerard
Killjoy
Addictied To Gerard
June 25th, 2007 at 10:44pm
people should have a sex ed class. but they shouldnt teach only abstanince, they should teach to use safe sex or how to put on a conbom right. because thats why there is so many teen pregnancy's, poeple were putting it on wrong or just being stupid.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 25th, 2007 at 10:57pm
^ While I agree teens should be taught how to apply safe sex measures (eg putting on condoms), I fail to see how it's that complicated. You take 'em out, you roll 'em on, you go for your life.
Besides, condom packages have instructions (with diagrams, no less) printed on the box... how people could screw up in the putting on of a condom is way beyond me. If you're too stupid to figure out how to put on a condom properly, then you're too stupid to be having sex, really.
dear matthew
Joining The Black Parade
dear matthew
June 25th, 2007 at 11:51pm
but whos to say there "stupid" what if its the heat of the moment and they're not paying attention, and hey we all screw up sometimes X]
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
June 25th, 2007 at 11:57pm
teens should have a sexual education at home and at school. i never learned anything i know about sex from home -- i learned it all at school, and my mom was pissed at the fact that i knew a lot about it that she never told me.
Cigarettes And Suicide
Bleeding on the Floor
Cigarettes And Suicide
June 26th, 2007 at 12:14am
^ Thing is, while a lot of parents believe it's their role as a parent to teach their children sex, the majority are either too embarrassed to sit down and have a rational, informative discussion about it, or they're the type that believes a 'keep your legs shut until you're married' is quite sufficient sex education.
At least in schools, you get taught everything you need to know. If your parents can do that same thing at home, then they should have no problem with a teacher or guidance counsellor. If they have a problem with it, it's usually an indicator that they don't want you to know anything about sex and therefore they're not going to tell you anything at home either.

xsilverbulletx:
but whos to say there "stupid" what if its the heat of the moment and they're not paying attention, and hey we all screw up sometimes X]
Yeah, but in the 'heat of the moment', are you really thinking about your guidance counsellor rolling a condom on a banana in front of thirty students? No, you're not. If you screw up because you're not concentrating or paying attention, then having a teacher show you how to do it isn't going to help you.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
June 26th, 2007 at 05:41am
sex education is a good thing, but i hate it when you have to learn it year after year after year, i reallly dont think that we're gonna forget to use protection.

also that whole "virgin til your married" bid, i dont agree with that. what bride wants to be a virgin on the weeeding night? same for the groom, losing your virginity is probably going to make you nervous (i dont know i havent had sex yet, and proud of it) what bride and or groom wants to be that nervous after they just got married?

i'm not saying that its ok to be a slut, i'm just saying that its okay, to go aroungd the block, get somee experience, just be safe when you do it.
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
June 26th, 2007 at 10:01am
Cigarettes And Suicide:
^ Thing is, while a lot of parents believe it's their role as a parent to teach their children sex, the majority are either too embarrassed to sit down and have a rational, informative discussion about it, or they're the type that believes a 'keep your legs shut until you're married' is quite sufficient sex education.
At least in schools, you get taught everything you need to know. If your parents can do that same thing at home, then they should have no problem with a teacher or guidance counsellor. If they have a problem with it, it's usually an indicator that they don't want you to know anything about sex and therefore they're not going to tell you anything at home either.

xsilverbulletx:
Yeah, but in the 'heat of the moment', are you really thinking about your guidance counsellor rolling a condom on a banana in front of thirty students? No, you're not. If you screw up because you're not concentrating or paying attention, then having a teacher show you how to do it isn't going to help you.

oh i agree with you. i perdsonally think that my dad was the one was too embarassed to talk about it. my mom was all for it, but my dad felt that i didn't need to know anything about it so he constantly would beat around the bush.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
June 28th, 2007 at 08:15pm
Suicidal Reject.:

I think that if you introduce sex eduacation too early then kids might think that everyone's doing it, but if you introduce it at about 17 then it might have a really good impact on todays youth.
I learned about sex when I was 7. It didn't make me think that 'everyone's doing it', like you said. Anyway, 17 is wayyyy too late. This child would go through hell if they were the only one that didn't get the perverted jokes, and didn't know what his girlfriend was talking about when she said 'I'm ready'. I think that some parents don't want their kids to learn about sex in school, they find it uncomfortable. In 6th grade we had a program called 'worth the wait' that told us all about protection and about the fact that protection isn't foolproof.
But I had one friend who's mom didn't want her to learn, she was the only one.
The thing is, that her mother not wanting her to learn didn't stop her from learning.
Kids don't only learn it from their parents or school. Really, during the program not one of us were suprised about what we heard, even the ones who's parents never said anything about sex.
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
June 28th, 2007 at 08:20pm
Suicidal Reject.:

I think that if you introduce sex eduacation too early then kids might think that everyone's doing it, but if you introduce it at about 17 then it might have a really good impact on todays youth.
I learned about sex when I was 7. It didn't make me think that 'everyone's doing it', like you said. Anyway, 17 is wayyyy too late. This child would go through hell if they were the only one that didn't get the perverted jokes, and didn't know what his girlfriend was talking about when she said 'I'm ready'. I think that some parents don't want their kids to learn about sex in school, they find it uncomfortable. In 6th grade we had a program called 'worth the wait' that told us all about protection and about the fact that protection isn't foolproof.
But I had one friend who's mom didn't want her to learn, she was the only one.
The thing is, that her mother not wanting her to learn didn't stop her from learning.
Kids don't only learn it from their parents or school. Really, during the program not one of us were suprised about what we heard, even the ones who's parents never said anything about sex.