Don't have an account? Create one!

What university do you go to?

AuthorMessage
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
April 21st, 2007 at 11:15am
...i can see you really got over it and headed off for something very different!
maybe yours was a good idea- the drop out rate is scary- a third of the original 1st years are still there by 4th year...and i'm hanging there by the thread (no pun intended!)
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 22nd, 2007 at 02:17am

Eh, not really.
I loved English (all 4 units hahaha) last year, & textiles (for a while lol), & legal studies, so my list of options for uni was like a combination of those subjects.
But yeah, I got waaaay too stressed with my textiles project & didn't want to have to go through another 4 years of that lol

I wouldn't have gotten in anyway, my UAI was too low XD
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 7th, 2007 at 01:43am

“A UNIVERSITY campus has been shut down in Sydney's west after a man made threats during an argument with security officers.
The man, who is not believed to be a student, was at the University of Western Sydney's Werrington South campus shortly before midday (AEST) today when he had words with security before making threats and leaving, police said.”

Oh how lovely.
That’s where I go.

sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
May 7th, 2007 at 03:24am
oh awesome =/
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 7th, 2007 at 03:27am

This is an article I found on it…

The University of Western Sydney's Werrington South Campus was locked down earlier today after a man threatened to shoot students and staff. Chief Inspector Greg Byrnes said that an unknown male had approached a cafe near a library on the southern campus of UWS. He had a conversation with some girls that became heated. The man then kicked a table, got up and said ''I'm going to come back and shoot you'' before leaving. According to UWS maintenance workers, the unidentified male also shouted threats that he would be back with ``guns and bombs''. ``The bloke came out saying that he was going to shoot the place up,'' said a UWS maintenance worker who wished to remain anonymous. An anonymous UWS security guard also witnessed the altercation. ''There were threats made by an individual about shooting students on site,'' he said. ''He [the suspect] drove off but threatened to return.'' The university locked down the Werrington South campus after the threat, evacuating all students and staff and suspending classes indefinitely. The suspect is described as having short, bleached blonde hair, with dark root, approximately 5 foot 7 inches tall, medium build wearing a white shirt and red shorts. He is not believed to be a UWS student. Students and staff can contact the UWS call centre to find out more information about classes and access to the campus: 1800 657 622.

I was completely oblivious to all of this, I didn’t even know the uni had gone into lockdown XD

I’m thinking… no uni tomorrow.
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 7th, 2007 at 07:18am
woah, thats freaky. At least you know you have decent secruity at your uni. Our security guys lent me scissors and a stanley knife (i lost mine, needed them for my photog assignment) without checking I was a student, or what building I'd be in or anything. And this was the day after Virginia Tech... I mean yeh I was glad I could get my project done, but slightly lax on their part.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 7th, 2007 at 09:42pm

The thing is though, security at our uni sucks.
It said on the news that the whole campus was put into lockdown, & that security went round to all the classes & told them what was happening, but nobody came to our class, we had no idea that anything had happened.
After our class finished we just strolled over to the carpark, & went home, completely oblivious to everything. That is fucking scary. What if the guy did come back? We would have been screwed.

They also said there would be heaps of security & police there for the rest of the week, but I went in this morning for a lecture & tutorial, & I saw no security at all. Not even the people who usually patrol the area.
It’s really bad at uni at the moment, there was like about 50 people in the lecture (usually around 300), and in my tutorial there was 4 (usually about 25), so pretty much nobody is turning up, & those who do turn up are completely on edge. At one stage today an alarm went off somewhere in the building & we completely freaked out, like the tutor even started pushing tables over next to the door.

They really should have cancelled classes today >.<
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 8th, 2007 at 04:25am
A girl got stabbed at my best friend's uni today (LaTrobe Bundoora campus for those playing at home) and she was saying how shittily security handled it.
Nobody was told what was happening, most people thought it was just another protest a bit out of control. She only found out what was happening because she tried to walk into the the library only to have a load of cops tell her it was in lockdown.
And security refused to tell people if the stabber had been caught (she had) so there were people freaking out thinking there might be someone with a knife loose on campus.
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
May 8th, 2007 at 06:47am
my goodness!! uni is going crazy =|
i'd be completely on edge if anything like that happened at mine...
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 8th, 2007 at 09:11am
Haha, and to think, all we had was a gas leak that meant half the buldings in the Uni had to be evacuated.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 9th, 2007 at 12:17am

lmfao

My uni is so boring at the moment!
There's like nobody here, presumably because they don't want to be shot...
So I'm on my laptop pretending to pay attention to the principles of film editing XD
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 9th, 2007 at 05:34am
My uni is boring most days. People there are all soooooo work focused. Like yeh, I know thats what we're there for, but seriously, nobody ever just wants to hang out or something when they could be in the library writing assignments etc.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 9th, 2007 at 05:59am

Really?
Wow, mine is pretty much the opposite!
Like, we all have 93240374560 assignments, but we go to the uni bar rather than go home & work on them lol

Although I guess it really depends on the people you talk to… I mean there are probably a lot of people there who are really work focused, just not my friends XD
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 9th, 2007 at 06:02am
Yeh, I have to spend aaggggeeeesss convincing people, that yes, just once, going to the bar would be ok, especially seeing as we're freaking arts students and like we do any real work anyway...hahaha.
Yeh, there's probably alot of people who spend all their time in the bar, as I aspire too, but none of my friends. I'm thinking of deferring or even dropping out. This isn't what I wanna do, and although I absolutely adore PR and to a lesser extent journalism, my core communications units are killing me.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 9th, 2007 at 06:29am

Oh are you doing PR & Journalism? I’m jealous!
I really want to do those subjects, but I have to wait until next semester >.<
Although I have to admit, I’m kinda considering majoring in Advertising, instead of PR or Journalism.

I think, if you’re considering dropping out, you should just take some time off first, ‘cause that way you still have the option to go back, like without having to re-apply & go through all that crap again
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 11th, 2007 at 09:59am
I'm trying to find a straight PR course that I could do, but the only place that seems to do it is Vic Uni, and I'm not so keen on there.
It's just pissing me off spending so much time stressing over what is essentially supposed to be the back up plan.
leeshy
Jazz Hands
leeshy
May 21st, 2007 at 10:57pm
Deakin in warun ponds studying Media and Communications and majoring in journalism and PR. I <3 my school Very Happy
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 22nd, 2007 at 04:38am
^ woot for somebody doing my course and subjects, even if we're at different campuses Very Happy
Is it just me, or does the core communications unit really suck ass?
CAcT '-.-' tux
Salute You in Your Grave
CAcT '-.-' tux
May 22nd, 2007 at 04:57am
elliephant:
My uni is boring most days. People there are all soooooo work focused. Like yeh, I know thats what we're there for, but seriously, nobody ever just wants to hang out or something when they could be in the library writing assignments etc.

that's the impression I get. But then again I'm one of those people you're describing. There isn't a choice really- hang out too much and fall behind and get even more stressed. It was difficult to get used to it in my 1st year- i think everyone struggled with it. And there's never anything interesting at the UTS Glasshouse bar- unlike Roundhouse or Manningbar- they hold gigs. We have trashy R&B stuff & I've never heard of anyone saying they'll hang out at the Glasshouse.
elliephant
Bleeding on the Floor
elliephant
May 22nd, 2007 at 05:34am
^ It's a good point. But it's not like I'm asking people to hang out 24/7 and screw the study (sure thats my own preference, but only because I despise half of my current units)
I think the other problem is I don't really have many friends at uni. I've realised this year that I'm actually really bad at making new friends, because I've never ever before had to put any real effort into it. I grew up with my primary school friends, so no effort there, most of them went to the same high school as me and i just adopted their new friends, then when I moved out here I was the English chick so I was different and interesting, and same again when I changed schools in yr 10 and I was the new girl.
As up myself as it sounds, it's kinda weird getting used to people not taking an instant interest in me.