Don't have an account? Create one!

How to read tabs.

AuthorMessage
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
June 12th, 2007 at 06:51am
Shelbinwa:
its an okay tutorial, but you should explain in more proper musical terminology and further explain what a lot of it means. It sticks with people a lot better that way, and then they don't become lazy and only look at tabs.
-sigh-

I'm not a schooled musician, because it costs.
This is for the schooled musicians that feel lost when they see tabs.

You missed something. This is a tab tutorial, not a music tutorial.

Also, please don't give me the proper music theory bullshit.
ain't got no soul.
Salute You in Your Grave
ain't got no soul.
June 12th, 2007 at 10:13pm
Wyayhahha. I've been playing guitar for a couple days and I cannot read tabs worth shit. I'm sure this will help. I picked out the starting of Toxicity and Number Five With A Bullet but I suck really bad..

Thanks!
ain't got no soul.
Salute You in Your Grave
ain't got no soul.
June 12th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Oh. Sorry. Double Post. Okay, don't laugh cause I've only been at this for a couple days but... What is the difference between tabs and chords? Tabs are easier to read, I don't understand chords at all. I wanna play rythym........ Sorry.. I'm a n00b.
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
June 13th, 2007 at 05:58am
Chords as in the letters above the lyrics?

Then you have to learn the chords to be able to recognise them. You can buy chord books. They don't cost much.
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
June 14th, 2007 at 05:31am
Chords are more than three notes played at the same time.
Tabs is just the system to show what you play.

So this is a tab of the chords C and G:

e|-x--3-|
B|-1--0-|
G|-0--0-|
D|-2--0-|
A|-3--2-|
E|----3-|

There are also so called powerchords (MCR mostly play these kinds of chords.

This is a tab of the powerchords C and G.
e|------|
B|------|
G|------|
D|-5----|
A|-3--5-|
E|----3-|

I hope this clarifies it, for everyone. =]
yellow
Joining The Black Parade
yellow
June 22nd, 2007 at 11:37pm
when i do it it just sounds wrong Sad it s probably something im doing.
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
June 23rd, 2007 at 07:48am
If you're looking for help you'll need to be more specific.

What are you trying to do, and how?
yellow
Joining The Black Parade
yellow
June 23rd, 2007 at 09:56pm
ok i just don't get the whole power tab thing i only just got a guitar so im really new at this
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
June 24th, 2007 at 06:43am
Yeah, I got that. I still don't know what you're doing though.
Help me out, will ya'?

You do understand that you only play the strings with numbers on, right?
Have you read the tutorial? It should've cleared this up.
yellow
Joining The Black Parade
yellow
June 24th, 2007 at 06:49am
yea i get that just so with power chords you just play the notes all at the same time?
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
June 24th, 2007 at 07:16am
Yeah. Because it's a chord. Chord = three or more notes played at the same time. Power chord= two or three notes played at the same time.
It's Lyn-z!
Demolition Lover
It's Lyn-z!
June 24th, 2007 at 02:22pm
yellow:
yea i get that just so with power chords you just play the notes all at the same time?

yeah make sure that when u play it
your fingers on the top arent accidentaly muting(touching) the other strings ur playing
yellow
Joining The Black Parade
yellow
July 6th, 2007 at 07:26am
thanks everyone you've been a great help!
xx
LifeOnStandby
Motor Baby
LifeOnStandby
July 25th, 2007 at 11:54pm
I was playing different songs with my friend Mitchell yesterday off tab. He can look at it really fast, and be able to play it our real well; but then again he's practiced for many years.

I can play along with simple style songs, so it makes it really easy for us to do songs with 2 parts. The one thing I really can't get down with Tabs is Rhythm.

I don't really understand at what pace I'm supposed to play at the majority of the time. Mitch often tells me I'm playing either too slow or too fast... but I try matching the sounds up with his.

One of the problems is I don't know some of the songs. If I listen to the song a few times, I can SORTA get it right... but I'm still not playing it perfeclty sound.
(Saying that "practice is practice" for getting the rhyhtm off tabs won't help... because I just don't understand the pace )
Dana Way
Banned
Dana Way
September 2nd, 2007 at 06:17pm
I have tabs for Hey There Delialeh and I can't read them for shit. My brothers here so he can teach me how to do it but I don't want to bug him about it.
Schrei
Motor Baby
Schrei
September 19th, 2007 at 09:58pm
not to smash ur thread but i play guitar too if anyone wants any help pm me!
Goodnight Nurse
Salute You in Your Grave
Goodnight Nurse
December 12th, 2007 at 04:39am
LifeOnStandby:
I was playing different songs with my friend Mitchell yesterday off tab. He can look at it really fast, and be able to play it our real well; but then again he's practiced for many years.

I can play along with simple style songs, so it makes it really easy for us to do songs with 2 parts. The one thing I really can't get down with Tabs is Rhythm.

I don't really understand at what pace I'm supposed to play at the majority of the time. Mitch often tells me I'm playing either too slow or too fast... but I try matching the sounds up with his.

One of the problems is I don't know some of the songs. If I listen to the song a few times, I can SORTA get it right... but I'm still not playing it perfeclty sound.
(Saying that "practice is practice" for getting the rhyhtm off tabs won't help... because I just don't understand the pace )

I find if you are having trouble keeping the pace then just tapping it out eg.on your guitar or your knee (or something that will make sound) at the correct pace for a while you will start to get the gist of how it goes... this will help you maintain this pace as you will remember it better.
threads
Shotgun Sinner
threads
January 2nd, 2008 at 08:34pm
On the question of pace.

Some tabs have it all in there, mostly those exported from GuitarPro, or those written by genuinely musical people that have all their training down. What you need is a beat and an idea of what it is you're trying to play.

Pace has nothing to do with the actual tab, if you're just playing too slow or too fast.
Jet Star
Bleeding on the Floor
Jet Star
January 8th, 2008 at 02:12pm
i sort of understand it now
FAYE
Killjoy
FAYE
March 7th, 2008 at 01:28pm
Hey i just got a guitar, and of course learning some melodies from three cheers was first on my list.
I'm trying Frank's part on the introduction to Prison, (i.e starting at 0:10), i've got the tab music for it, but i'm finding it difficult to get it sounding smooth. The notes sound just too separate from oneanother.
Does anybody have any suggestions?