Don't have an account? Create one!

Creation

AuthorMessage
vacant3by4-
Killjoy
vacant3by4-
April 20th, 2009 at 07:49pm
it's all circumstancial isn't it? whether you believe in god, whether chemistry as we know it is correct (I've been told by my chemistry teacher it's a possiblity that it isn't, if a slim one.

personally I have no clue. I don't think anyone can, really.
BRETTage-MCR4eva
Banned
BRETTage-MCR4eva
April 24th, 2009 at 07:15am
im a watchmacallit.. an athiest i think i have no religion... i think thats its terribly stupid for someone to believe there is a man in the sky watching over us and it took him seven days to create the world... where as i think that the big bang thoery is most possibly the correct way that the earth came to be how it is...but then again there is that slight chance that maybe all the scientists have missed something and may be even more wrong...
BOINGage-MCRmy
Banned
BOINGage-MCRmy
April 24th, 2009 at 07:16am
i personally agree with science more than religion.

in which case,
i beleive that it was all magnetism and bangs and everything else.

its all superstition
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
April 26th, 2009 at 01:05pm
I like to believe that God created the world through the big bang, or however it happened. Otherwise it seems nearly impossible for us to exist. I think that the Bible is more about the message than the actual facts. It's complicated and confusing, but I found a way to make science and religion work together in my head.
Star Ashes
Fabulous Killjoy
Star Ashes
April 27th, 2009 at 05:03am
I used to believe in God, but i don't really see the point anymore, I pray sometimes when i feel i need to but i don't go to church and i don't call myself a christian anymore, i got told that God created the world. If this is true then what, or who created God? The 'stories' put to us through the years do not fit with science, if Adam and Eve were really the first people God created then where the hell does our evolution fit into this, We have scientific proof of the evolution and how we all came from primates. But we do not have proof of the garden of eden God creating the world in seven days and all that. I have been confirmed into the church and i got told that life began with god creating things... I don't like the idea of religion and its ways at this point in my life but hey if someone can give me a good argument or discussion on this subject then maybe i might see different. But right now I don't see it. My friend who is a major christian has tried on many occasions but i have seen that science has overpowered this. please hlep me understand the link or vital information that people seem to devote their life to.
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
April 28th, 2009 at 03:39pm
^ That's the thing though, according to most religions, God has no creator, existed from the begining of time and is immortal.
I think many people have found a way to work science into religion (perhaps that God created the matter that later collided in the Big Bang).
My friend's father, who is a devout Christian, said, "I didn't believe in God as a kid, but then I realized, how could Moses have parted the sea if there was no God, and how would millions of Jews have believed him if he did not really do that."
I'm not saying that there is a god or there isn't a god, but I don't think religion is all bad and all false either.
kaitlyn.
Demolition Lover
kaitlyn.
April 29th, 2009 at 10:37pm
to be perfectly honest, i don't believe in either the big bang theory or evolution. I think there was a completely different way that everything was created, but we're not really supposed to find out, only enjoy it.
But i still believe in God and the bible, but some stuff i think people take too literally.
Does this make sense to anyone? Razz
Marilyn Monroe
Awake and Unafraid
Marilyn Monroe
April 30th, 2009 at 05:02am
Hmm I don't know what to think.
But the question that really keeps me up at night is.
What was there before God or The Big Bang? *which ever is your preference*
Was there just endless amounts of nothing?
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
May 28th, 2009 at 07:52pm
I personally dont think that the creation of the world comes down to science vs religion. The scientific evidence shows that the complexity of life, and even just the location of earth is just too complex to be an accident or a coincidence. Its not about God or religion, its about the fact that people have created evidence where there is none when it comes to the big-bang theory. Scientifically, the chances of the earth coming together by a "big bang" and all of the right compentants for supporting life just being there is literally 1 to 1,000,000,000,000,000 and yet people still say that it is the most logical answer to the question... 0.o
questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
May 28th, 2009 at 08:21pm
ignore
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
May 28th, 2009 at 10:06pm
^^ But the problem with that is this: The Earth is in the exact perfect place in the universe to support life. If Earth were just a tiny bit closer 2 the sun, all of our water supply would evaporate, and if Earth were just a tiny bit farther away from the sun, we would freeze. Earth is in the perfect position for life. And its not a wide range of space that is in this "perfect" area. Its a very small space. So what you are saying is (this isnt meant to be personally aimed at you, just the big bang thery in general) all these pieces of matter just happened to collide one day, and they created planet earth, which just happened to land smack dab in the perfect area of the universe in which to support human life?
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
May 29th, 2009 at 05:40am
BRETTage-MCR4eva:
im a watchmacallit.. an athiest i think i have no religion... i think thats its terribly stupid for someone to believe there is a man in the sky watching over us and it took him seven days to create the world... where as i think that the big bang thoery is most possibly the correct way that the earth came to be how it is...but then again there is that slight chance that maybe all the scientists have missed something and may be even more wrong...

I'm an atheist too, but I don't think people who believe in religions are 'terribly stupid' - in fact, while I don't share their beliefs, I admire them for having so much faith in what they believe in Smile

It's possible that none of us have it right. I don't see the point in insulting others' beliefs about how the world was created when there's every chance that mine might be completely wrong as well.
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
May 30th, 2009 at 12:18pm
I don't believe that god made the whole world or what ever, I'd go with the big bang theory.
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
May 30th, 2009 at 01:06pm
Big Bang, for me. As a Christian earlier in my life, I believed the creation story. Then I began to see more logic in the Big Bang theory, even while I still had my Christian faith. Now I'm no longer a Christian, and I've considered other possible theories, but the BB is the one that seems more credible to me.
LunacyFringe
Killjoy
LunacyFringe
May 31st, 2009 at 05:52pm
^^
LunacyFringe:
But the problem with that is this: The Earth is in the exact perfect place in the universe to support life. If Earth were just a tiny bit closer 2 the sun, all of our water supply would evaporate, and if Earth were just a tiny bit farther away from the sun, we would freeze. Earth is in the perfect position for life. And its not a wide range of space that is in this "perfect" area. Its a very small space. So what you are saying is (this isnt meant to be personally aimed at you, just the big bang thery in general) all these pieces of matter just happened to collide one day, and they created planet earth, which just happened to land smack dab in the perfect area of the universe in which to support human life?
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
May 31st, 2009 at 08:09pm
MiDesfileNegro:
I'm an atheist too, but I don't think people who believe in religions are 'terribly stupid' - in fact, while I don't share their beliefs, I admire them for having so much faith in what they believe in Smile

It's possible that none of us have it right. I don't see the point in insulting others' beliefs about how the world was created when there's every chance that mine might be completely wrong as well.

If you're saying: "I'm an Atheist, but I could be wrong" (paraphrasing), is that really Atheism? Doubting your own faith (or lack thereof, whichever way you see it) makes it look as though one isn't 100% sure what they believe.

I'm not telling you what you should or shouldn't believe, just putting an opinion out there.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 1st, 2009 at 06:12pm
I think she meant all our theories on the creation of the world rather than about religion, but I could have read it wrong.
MiDesfileNegro
Thinking Happy Thoughts
MiDesfileNegro
June 2nd, 2009 at 04:56am
Mindfuck:
If you're saying: "I'm an Atheist, but I could be wrong" (paraphrasing), is that really Atheism? Doubting your own faith (or lack thereof, whichever way you see it) makes it look as though one isn't 100% sure what they believe.

I'm not telling you what you should or shouldn't believe, just putting an opinion out there.

What I meant was basically what John St. John said - it's possible that we all have it wrong and that the world was created in a totally different way that's currently unknown to us. I'm going to keep my mind open to that possibility. However, going by the evidence we have, I'm an atheist and believe in the Big Bang.

I hope this made more sense Sad
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 2nd, 2009 at 08:56am
^It did Smiley
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
June 2nd, 2009 at 10:49am
even if there's some higher power that makes up the energy and the strings in the electrons and all that stuff, it has NOTHING to do with what we've made up in our minds here on earth. That's just human psychology. There's just the laws and the ways that things have to be, and I believe that those laws govern us in the universe. For example, something must happen for something else to happen. It a thing of equilibrium. And it's difficult to reach perfect equilibrium, so we have chaos. That's what I believe.