Don't have an account? Create one!

Underage drinking

AuthorMessage
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 26th, 2007 at 07:35pm
Painful Reality:

I believe that underage drinking is fine as long as you take full responsibility of your actions when you are sober. If you go out, get drunk, have sex and regret it all, you have to come to terms with the fact that, undoubtably, it is your fault. Someone taking advantage of you in that state is, obviously, appalling but, you got yourself into that state in the first place so the majority of the blame lies on you.

Drinking in your own home, I have no problems with. It's legal and, most of the time, the safest place to consume alcohol. Outside of the house, drinking makes you incredibly vunerable so, if people do decide to drink at parties etc. it is often a good idea to have one or two sober friends with you since, that way, if anything happens you have people to help you.

The major problems with drinking are teen pregnancy/sexually transmitted diseases and infections and stealing. Stealing alcohol is probably the most common way to get it since, now, a lot of supermarkets have 'self service paying' where it is very easy to fake a payment. Other than stealing alcohol, many ask others to buy it for them on the streets. With the average amount of pocket money increasing, teenagers have more money to spend on things such as alcohol if they so wish.

I believe that underage drinking is fine as long as you take full responsibility of your actions when you are sober.

You'd be amazed at just how young a child or teenager might begin drinking, so then would you say if that child gets killed, or intends some type of suicide, it is their fault? and then they shall regret it? (Its an example)
doctor.
In The Murder Scene
doctor.
December 27th, 2007 at 06:31am

^^ I understand completely what you are saying and it is tragic how many young children get drunk and in the case of an incredibly young child, I think it's appalling that they can get their hands on it, to start with. So in the case of a really young child, drinking to the excess isn't ever going to be ok.

It's tragic that people take advantage and murder others who are in a drunken state and those people should be punished for their actions HOWEVER the person who is drunk, should have known that this may happen. I know you believe it 'won't happen to you' when you are younger but, to be a responsible drinker, you have to consider that these things may happen before making the choice to drink.

Murderscene.
Fabulous Killjoy
Murderscene.
December 28th, 2007 at 05:11am
i'm okay with it as long as you're not a tool and get pissed.
or if you're one of those 14 year old kids that take photos of themselves holding/drinking booze and put them up on myspace or any other online thingy to make them look cool.
basically half my grade had been getting drunk at parties since i was in 8th grade just to look "cool".
that's stupid but if you drink it in moderation or with your parents or something than that's okay.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
December 28th, 2007 at 12:18pm
illustrated_romance:
that is wierd, the 18 thing. but if you let a kid drink how does that teach him responsiblity, to clean up your own puke? not o play with your toys while your drunk cause you'll break them?
Because a common reason that teens drink is because it gives them a sense of power and rebellion, knowing that they're doing something they shouldn't be doing. If you let your kids have it at a part or every one and a while, it loses the sense of something taboo and forbidden to them.
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 28th, 2007 at 01:16pm
Murderscene.:
i'm okay with it as long as you're not a tool and get pissed.
or if you're one of those 14 year old kids that take photos of themselves holding/drinking booze and put them up on myspace or any other online thingy to make them look cool.
basically half my grade had been getting drunk at parties since i was in 8th grade just to look "cool".
that's stupid but if you drink it in moderation or with your parents or something than that's okay.

Well that is one out of many reasons why Teens drink, to look "CooL"
Murderscene.
Fabulous Killjoy
Murderscene.
December 28th, 2007 at 06:51pm
well i drink cause i like it haha
and it's usually around my parents anyway
Diana_a7x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Diana_a7x
December 28th, 2007 at 06:52pm
You drink, yet you know it does not good to your body/health?
Murderscene.
Fabulous Killjoy
Murderscene.
December 28th, 2007 at 06:59pm
hey a glass of wine and maybe a vodka cruiser or something once every 3 or 4 weeks won't do much.
i'm not a hardcore drinker and most likely never will be because i know when to stop.

sure, lots of teens don't and that's why shit happens to them, but believe me i ain't one of them.
Annaundead;
Awake and Unafraid
Annaundead;
January 3rd, 2008 at 09:12am

I don't really care about underage drinking. I drink myself a decent amount, and I'm 14. I know about 50 people that drink almost every saturday.I think it's absolutely fine so long as they aren't getting shitfaced all the time and having to get their stomach pumped every month.
So many people do it because it is seen as a way to have fun. People believe that once they're mortal, they'll have a better time than not. There are alot of people who get absolutely paletic and cant even carry themselves down the street, and two days later they say it was hilarious. They don't realise that even though it's hilarious for them, its not for the people who look after them.
The government should not reduce the amount of people drinking, but the quantities they consume. Underage drinkers go out in the parks and get mortal, whereas people in pubs can drink in a more controlled environment. I personally think they should take the legal age to drink in bars and clubs down to 16.
A litre of cider can cost as little as £1.25. It's not a question of how they get the money. Plenty of people in my city get drunk off a litre of cheap, white cider and leave it be. There are plenty of people in the world who will go in for underage people, especially if they are underage themselves but look older.
Thats how it works in Newcaslte, anyways.
The Taste for Blood
Salute You in Your Grave
The Taste for Blood
January 3rd, 2008 at 02:47pm
What do you think about underage drinking?
well i drink myself and as long as you dont get totaly fucked up all the time its alright. i wouldent press it on anyone else though. for me it isent about getting drunk, its about the taste.

What do you think is the cause for so many teens to do so?
well i like the taste of good wine or a nice vodka, but i think most do it to be kewl or to forget the hardships they face.

What do you think the goverment should do to reduce the amount of people drinking alchol?
they really cant do anything about it. its the forbidden fruit syndrom, when they say you cant have it, it just makes you want all the more. the only thing we can do is spread the message that drunk driving is dangerous. and over abusing alchol can lead to unpleasent endings for you and the people around you.
How do you think so many people have suddenly been able to pay, or get hold of the alchol?
chemicalsatthedisco
Jazz Hands
chemicalsatthedisco
January 5th, 2008 at 12:35am
i hate drinking, i me like I do i just dont like the way it tastes. ugh. but i would never get drunk or drink just bc its not that appealing, but when my friends go to parties where there is no supervision im deffp tagging along to be the driver,, there is no way in hell im gonna leave a drunk to drive my friends home. no way in hell.
the doctor.
Always Born a Crime
the doctor.
January 7th, 2008 at 02:34pm
I'm 15 years old, I don't drink and I don't intend to.

But practically everyone in my year has got drunk at least once.
For some reason its something they look forward to.
Some-one held a massive houseparty the other day and everyone was talking about the alcohol.
I even heard some people talking about how they were going to go down an alleyway and get drunk so that their parents wouldn't find out.
And I was like wtf?
Because if they get so pissed they don't know what they're doing they'll be able to hide the fact they've been mugged/raped/kidnapped from their parents?

I don't think young people take drinking that seriously.
I mean the occasional drink every now and thens fine but if you actually intend on getting drunk you need to realise just how vulnerable that makes you.
There are people out there who can and will take advantage of you if they get the chance.

I was talking to some-one I know the other day and asked her how long she has gone without having a drink since she started drinking properly.
Her reply was 'Two weeks.'
fire at will.
Damned After All
fire at will.
January 10th, 2008 at 06:01pm
I'm eighteen. I sometimes drink. When I can get my hands on it. When I was in Mexico, I was always buying beer and tequila. There they don't card. As long as you pay.

But, not to sound as a hypocrite, I really don't think it's right.
It shouldn't be so simple for young kids to buy alcohol.
Especially really young ones like thirteen, fourteen and fifteen year olds.

It's really no ones fault, but I think society's.
Kids grow up watching cartoons where beer is always present, like The Simpsons.
Nowadays, everytime someone changes a channel, there's usually an advertisment for some type of alcohol.
And that's what makes them curious.
Spencer Reid
Always Born a Crime
Spencer Reid
January 11th, 2008 at 07:06pm
I don't like underage drinking.
For some reason, most teens feel that they have to get smashed everytime they can get their hands on alcohol.
I'm 18 and a senior in high school, so I see it a lot.
You have the teens who don't drink and the teens who are wasted.
There are hardly any inbetween.
My school has lost a lot of students due to drunk driving.
I've been to about 4 funerals for kids that I knew who died from drunk driving that could have been avoided if parents would have been there or had someone to keep up with their kid.
I'm sorry, but I think that extra precautions should be taken to prevent kids from getting ahold of alcohol.

There are a select few that do not drink until they are drunk and can drink it responsibly.
But, there are more drunks than responsible drinkers.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
January 12th, 2008 at 06:33am
Billie Joe Armstrong:
all i can say is WOW
read my post above.
drinking off your troubles can do more then relase stress.way more
Why most country actually have an age ristriction?
So kids underage wont live under the infulence,so kids stay healthy
so kids dont murder,so kids die,so kids can think!
okay EVERYONE has problems in life but people
can easily find other BETTER ways to handle there problems
okay drinking is a pleasure but whats the pleasure of being
unhealthy? etc
it clearly makes no sense i understand if your in an older
age you can maintain the alcohol because your body has matured
and your body can easily handle it but at ages of 18 and below is just
wrong. (19.20.21 are okay ages because the bodys can maintain the drink)

Drinking and smoking for me are ways of releasing, for calming down, etc.
If I didn't I'd be SH-ing again and I'm not going down there.
It's a pleasure, the feeling you get when you have just enough, and you're just tipsy, not drunk out of your mind.
You're trying to make it seem like there is no good point t alcohol, and if you drink, you'll die.
So if kids don't drink alcohol, they'll stay healthy and won't murder people, won't die, so they can think?
Come on, everyone on this thread or even this board knows of things that we could do/take to make us not healthy.
People murder other people, drunk or not.
People die, alcohol or not.
Why is it so wrong though?
That's what I don't understand about some of these arguments.
"It's just wrong."
But is it your life?
I'm not telling you to drink, I'm saying I can drink if I want to, and sure, I may be killing my brain cells slowly, but i'll live my life how I want.
Toki
Really Not Okay
Toki
January 12th, 2008 at 07:48am
What do you think about underage drinking?
I don't have any problem with underage drinking as long as it's not taken out of hand and certain restrictions do need to be applied in terms of how often and how much alcohol is consumed.
For example, I've noticed that since I've started 6th Form, I've had much more access to alcohol at parties and have been able to deal with drinking responsably - those are the only times I tend to drink alcohol unless I'm celebrating with family or special occasions.
There is however a large and crucial age difference between the ages of 11 and 16. For health reasons I don't think people at the ages of 11 to 14 are able to deal with regular consumption of alcohol as their bodies have not developed enough to be able to deal with it and are not close to being mature enough to handle large amounts.

What do you think is the cause for so many teens to do so?
In my opinion it is mostly due to other friends drinking and also the desire to experience new things that teens have seen portrayed in films and the media as an "adult" thing. There are of course other reasons such as depression and abuse that may cause a young person to start drinking on a regular basis.

What do you think the goverment should do to reduce the amount of people drinking alcohol?
Warn parents more to place more restrictions on their children due the dangerous effects on health that can take place on a growing child/teen.

How do you think so many people have suddenly been able to pay, or get hold of the alcohol?
I think consumption has increased because of increasingly liberal attitudes from parents. In England, where I live, a lot of teens get access to alcohol because parents are either prepared to buy their children drinks or do not moniter the actions of their child to a great extent.
ChloeREVENGE
Joining The Black Parade
ChloeREVENGE
March 26th, 2008 at 11:06am
I am an underage drinker, and i do drink near enough every weekend. But that under no circumstances means i depend on it. I think it usualy depends on the person if they don't know their limit. Also if parents don't know what their kids are doing outside at night then thats also a cause for concern.

just my opinion Very Happy
the.reaper.wore.pink
Motor Baby
the.reaper.wore.pink
March 26th, 2008 at 11:58am
I also am an underage drinker and i enjoy drinking alcohol but i know how to control myself. I have never ever been drunk before and have never gotten in trouble because of alcohol. I believe that it really depends on the person on whether they will get dependent on it.
goodbye blue sky
Always Born a Crime
goodbye blue sky
March 26th, 2008 at 01:41pm
really really bad thing, but anyway, it´s their very own thing, if some people start drinking underaged. of course I´m worried about those friends of mine who go to drink and get drunk every weekend, so sometimes I might talk to them and remind about controlling yourself.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
March 26th, 2008 at 08:52pm
dee dee ramone.:

Drinking and smoking for me are ways of releasing, for calming down, etc.
If I didn't I'd be SH-ing again and I'm not going down there.
It's a pleasure, the feeling you get when you have just enough, and you're just tipsy, not drunk out of your mind.
You're trying to make it seem like there is no good point t alcohol, and if you drink, you'll die.
So if kids don't drink alcohol, they'll stay healthy and won't murder people, won't die, so they can think?
Come on, everyone on this thread or even this board knows of things that we could do/take to make us not healthy.
People murder other people, drunk or not.
People die, alcohol or not.
Why is it so wrong though?
That's what I don't understand about some of these arguments.
"It's just wrong."
But is it your life?
I'm not telling you to drink, I'm saying I can drink if I want to, and sure, I may be killing my brain cells slowly, but i'll live my life how I want.

Let me break this down for you:
Drinking, no matter at what age [and no matter how drunk you get], destroys braincells. If you abuse alcohol, you can even get brain damage. The point I'm trying to make is, alcohol affects your mind. Maybe not as much as other drugs, but it still can have a negative affect on you.

Now, apply that to teenagers:
Their brains are still developing. Drinking whilst you brain is still developing can have adverse effects.
Similarly with hormones. Drinking while your body is still growing can distrupt your hormones - it may even stunt your growth.

Now I'm not saying that teenagers shouldn't drink blah, blah, blah - I used to drink when I was underage, and a lot of people I knew did as well. I can't see it going away any time soon.

But teenagers should be aware of the consequences of drinking underage, especially if they binge.