Don't have an account? Create one!

Underage drinking

AuthorMessage
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
March 27th, 2008 at 05:50am
i think its ok. i cant really say any different cos i drink and im 16. lol.
but as long as people dont drink excessively every chance they get (that goes for everyone, i guess). i know girls at my school who have drinking parties every friday & saturday nights, and every night in the hols just so they can get wasted. like, totally wasted. i went to an afterparty for the formal (and i didnt drink anything that night. my date didnt drink and he felt uncomfortable so i didnt drink for him Very Happy) and there were girls throwing up in the gutter, a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of vodka in the other. let me tell you, it wasnt pretty...
CakePlease.
Motor Baby
CakePlease.
March 27th, 2008 at 06:23am
I think there should be more education about drinking.
miss mcr
Jazz Hands
miss mcr
March 27th, 2008 at 09:59am
squiggly.:
dee dee ramone.:

Drinking and smoking for me are ways of releasing, for calming down, etc.
If I didn't I'd be SH-ing again and I'm not going down there.
It's a pleasure, the feeling you get when you have just enough, and you're just tipsy, not drunk out of your mind.
You're trying to make it seem like there is no good point t alcohol, and if you drink, you'll die.
So if kids don't drink alcohol, they'll stay healthy and won't murder people, won't die, so they can think?
Come on, everyone on this thread or even this board knows of things that we could do/take to make us not healthy.
People murder other people, drunk or not.
People die, alcohol or not.
Why is it so wrong though?
That's what I don't understand about some of these arguments.
"It's just wrong."
But is it your life?
I'm not telling you to drink, I'm saying I can drink if I want to, and sure, I may be killing my brain cells slowly, but i'll live my life how I want.

Let me break this down for you:
Drinking, no matter at what age [and no matter how drunk you get], destroys braincells. If you abuse alcohol, you can even get brain damage. The point I'm trying to make is, alcohol affects your mind. Maybe not as much as other drugs, but it still can have a negative affect on you.

Now, apply that to teenagers:
Their brains are still developing. Drinking whilst you brain is still developing can have adverse effects.
Similarly with hormones. Drinking while your body is still growing can distrupt your hormones - it may even stunt your growth.

Now I'm not saying that teenagers shouldn't drink blah, blah, blah - I used to drink when I was underage, and a lot of people I knew did as well. I can't see it going away any time soon.

But teenagers should be aware of the consequences of drinking underage, especially if they binge.

i agree with you!
Spirited Away
Joining The Black Parade
Spirited Away
March 27th, 2008 at 02:03pm
What do i think about underage drinking?
I think that too many minors are drinking lately. I dont think that its right. Maybe it makes teens feel better or helps them relax a little. I just think that its wrong if they get drunk.
The cause?
I do think peer pressure. The pressure to be cool.
What do i think the government should do?
I dont think that the government can do very much.
How can these teens get ahold of this alchol?
I acually think that teens get it from their parents refrigerator. Or from friends that are 21 and able to drink. They could also get it from the internet because the internet is not going to know how old you are.
Littlemisschem
Fabulous Killjoy
Littlemisschem
March 29th, 2008 at 05:28pm
Underage drinking.....hmmm. Well, I think it's unnecessary. Teens that drink are trying to drown their sorrows, but they don't realize that alcohol only makes it worse. No matter how great a high it puts you on, gravity always takes action and eventually drags you back down. All the way down. The govt. really can't do anything to solve the problem. And anyone can get a hold of alcohol. They may not buy it themselves, but they find older friends or just some random person to buy them stuff. Or they can just take it out of their parent's stash or something. They always find some way to get it.
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
March 29th, 2008 at 06:42pm
England has a lot of trouble with drunken teens on the street.
I think, that underage drinking in public should be made illegal. As far as I know, it is only illegal to buy / be sold alcohol underage. (At least in England)
I don't see any drawbacks form it, other than kids getting drunk at home then roaming about, but if the police are given the right powers, this can be delt with too.
mrs_gerard_way_4_lyf
Killjoy
mrs_gerard_way_4_lyf
April 15th, 2008 at 08:29am
i drink atleast twice a month.
like completly wasted.and i do LOADS of daft things.
i always say im going to stop and that ill never drin agin but i always do :/
its cannt crappy tbf.
x
BlackRoseDying
Fabulous Killjoy
BlackRoseDying
April 15th, 2008 at 09:44am
i think everyone should just wait until they are 21 to drink. this way it can lower the risk of disease in the young ppl internal organs, so-to-speak
HEY AMY
Salute You in Your Grave
HEY AMY
April 15th, 2008 at 10:00am
^ or 18 in a lot of places Smile
and in a few its even 16 i think. lol.
but yer.
i think itd be ok if they didnt drink excessively EVERY weekend or whatever. i know so so soooo many people who do Sad
everytime i talk to my friend, he is always drinking, drunk or hungover. and it really sucks.
Sonnet 130
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Sonnet 130
April 15th, 2008 at 12:05pm
Getting drunk makes people do stupid things that they regret.
I found that out the hard way.
Radio Saturday
Salute You in Your Grave
Radio Saturday
April 15th, 2008 at 05:48pm
I think teenagers should be taught how to appreciate alcohol the right way -- as a natural compliment to certain types of food, and an occasional pleasure on special occasions.

My dad let me taste wine and beer when I was younger... I never liked it. But I think it does have its place. But its purpose is not just to make you drunk, and I think a lot of people view it as that.
Spiritual Adviser .
Joining The Black Parade
Spiritual Adviser .
April 15th, 2008 at 07:15pm
Okay, I like alcohol and maybe I am a underage drinker. Who knows.. I don't try to be cool, but sometimes it feels very good, I'm a very shy girl, and when I drink alcohol I feel better.. but I preffer not to drink. I'm trying to control myself, of course I don't drink every day, just weekend.. but after being drunk, I feel so fucking stupid, understand?

I think that is your problem if you drink or not. Maybe you destroy your life, but if you have the education of what you do and what not to do, you should be responsable of yourself..
Switchblade Saint
Salute You in Your Grave
Switchblade Saint
April 16th, 2008 at 02:57am
What do you think about underage drinking?
I think parental supervision is important at the early stages of introducing alcohol to one's system. Either that or someone more mature whom you trust & who can pull you back from consuming destructive amounts. My parents let me drink bit by bit from age 11 or 12. by today I sort of know my limit unlike many young adults whose parents wouldnt so much as talk to them about alcohol during childhood.

In France wine is a common staple at the dinner table, & kids aren't exempt from taking a sip. So it depends on cultural context as well.

What do you think is the cause for so many teens to do so?
1) to be 'cool' 2) to prove that they're entering the adult world 3) just coz everyone's doing it ...all of which are the wrong reasons, of course.

What do you think the goverment should do to reduce the amount of people drinking alcohol?
Same thing they should do with issues like abortion & teen prgnancy: education, not abstinence. Ignorant ppl make ignorant choices. that's a fact.

oh, and obviously penalise bars/pubs/clubs that fail to impose & reinforce an underage entry rule.

How do you think so many people have suddenly been able to pay, or get hold of the alcohol?
i dunno about the biggest cause, but the fact is an increasing number of well-off teens are being given liberal amounts of pocket money by careless parents & spend it in whatever way they deem the best. & sometimes that 'best' ends up as throwing up in a toilet at a party where no one's around to look out for them.

Just my opinion: no one should have to consume liquor for the sole reason of fitting in or trying to prove something. understand that what you put into your body should be your choice & your responsibility.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 16th, 2008 at 05:57am

If it starts to become a habit and/or a problem then I think it is unnecessary.

But a little now and again is okay, I don't think treating teenagers like kids will help.
Unless it starts become hazardous, then no.

But I would like to point something out, when I was 13, someone asked me - "Don't you ever go and like get drunk on friday nights?"

This is from a 13 year old. I immediately said, "That is not normal."

Do you agree?
sherlock!
Crash Queen
sherlock!
April 16th, 2008 at 10:24am
Underaged people can drink once in a while, but not to the point that it becomes habitual, and extends up until they become addicted to it.

Social drinking is okay, and f the parents allow, though, and the child is pretty okay with it, then why not? So long as it doesn't get out of hand, alcohol can be good for the heart sometimes. BUT not if you drink it all the time. I think people, not only underaged ones, but everyone, should limit themseleves to just a certain amount.

For Lovesick Melody.'s question, I think it depends on the person in question. But for me, I seem to agree with your answer. Very Happy
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
April 16th, 2008 at 11:15am
There's different forms of drinking, and in my opinion, depending onto which one you fall into results in whether it's appropiate or not.

If your aim is to get completely smashed every weekend, then whether you're an adult or not, you know this is dangerous, to your health, your actions, your life. If you're a teenager and you fall into this catergory then obviously it's not right for you to drink that much.

However, I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking in moderation. Maybe on a couple of nights out or at Christmas, and not getting completely and dangerously wasted, just 'merry'.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 21st, 2009 at 09:04pm
okay well i started drinking when i was 14 (16 now) and well we didnt do it because we thought it was cool... but because we were bored and want to have fun... and because its bad for you! lol its human nature... but just because i do drink underage doesnt mean i will become an alcoholic!

i do think teens now drink a lot more... like vodka!

i think getting drink is an escape and to have fun with mates, for me and a lot of mates it is... you forget everything...

But i dont think its a bad thing, why not let us have are fun? as long as we dont drink to much and damage are selves i think its fine...
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 21st, 2009 at 09:05pm
also drinking round here is normal.... what every teen does
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
April 22nd, 2009 at 07:07am
But i dont think its a bad thing, why not let us have are fun? as long as we dont drink to much and damage are selves i think its fine...

Can you guarantee you won't hurt yourself when your drunk?
Incognito.
Bleeding on the Floor
Incognito.
April 22nd, 2009 at 07:53am
In nz ( where I live ) the age is 18. I'm 14 and a lot of my friends drink on a regular basis. Most of them just do it to be cool but I think that it is so stupid. The shit that happens when you're drunk is far to risky to not be in control of. especially when you're young and aren't that sensible when you're sober let alone off you face. My friend got so drunk at new years that she passed out in the gutter outside her house, my other friend had to get his stomache pumped. It's so sad that people feel they need to indulge in alcohol at this age..