Don't have an account? Create one!

Underage drinking

AuthorMessage
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
May 31st, 2009 at 12:00pm
You can drink occasionally, but once you say you "need" alcohol, you're in deep shit.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 1st, 2009 at 06:08pm
questionable content:
^ There are other reasons to drink than to rebel. Otherwise I don't think many people overage would drink.

I hardly get myself drunk, but when I do authority doesnt even enter my mind. I do it to have a good time.
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
June 3rd, 2009 at 11:45am
honestly i dont need alcohol to have a good time, i've drank before but i've never been drunk. i prefer to be able to remember the night
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
June 3rd, 2009 at 05:12pm
Im not talking so out of my skull I cant remember anything.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
June 4th, 2009 at 03:03pm
I think that at times underage drinking is perfectly okay. I'm not talking about getting totally wasted (that's not good for your health no matter what age you are.) but champagne on New Year's eve or a glass of wine with a fancy meal seems harmless to me.
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 9th, 2009 at 12:23pm
I don't drink to get drunk every time I do. But that's me. Besides me and my friends, everyone else I know of my age drinks purely to get completely mashed. It's kind of sad. It'll be poker night or something at some-one's house, and I'll have a couple of beers or a jack and coke. At house parties, I'll have a drink. Going out to a restaurant, I'll have a glass of wine, or if I'm going Japanese, a little sake. It's not really a major thing to me to drink. I have of course gone through the phase of getting hammered most nights just for the fun of it - but I stopped because I was ruining relationships with friends and family and also because I was flat broke XD
dee dee ramone.
Always Born a Crime
dee dee ramone.
June 9th, 2009 at 12:23pm
doublepost
iheartthrobsy
Killjoy
iheartthrobsy
June 18th, 2009 at 02:30am
when i was underage, i drank alot but only at parties, and it was never about doing it because it was "cool" or anything. i think the main reason i did it was because it was a nervous thing, your inhibitions go away and it makes you feel more confident, and not care what people think, i wish i could be like that sober... and i guess another reason was because i was allowed to by my parents and older friends bought me drinks and stuff so i thought it was okay, but people forget that it is against the law.
spiderpig-
Really Not Okay
spiderpig-
June 19th, 2009 at 05:15am
i dont drink, so i dont really know how it feels . but i've seen my classmates do that, and i find it bad for them . they do .. uhh .. stupid stuffs .
Or am I just fat??
Really Not Okay
Or am I just fat??
February 3rd, 2010 at 05:23pm
I hate the fact that some parents are so protective of their children and won't let them drink. It's an experience. I agree that each one has to be taught the right and wrongs, but the way they hold them back, can make them SO much worse in the future because they never experienced it say when they were 16-17.
Like any drug, if you grow a dependency for it, you're in the shit and you need to sort yourself out.
But anyway, as long as your aware of the dangers, then have fun. You can't stop anyone from doing what they want to do but you can inform them. I personally love drinking, but I don't do it nearly as much as I did when I went through a rough period in my life last year. As you mature though, you realise that drinking becomes more of a social activity rather than a 'funny' one, and it can be great fun. The people who I know who are 18 said that they now drink less than say two years ago, because the way you drink and the situation that your in is different so it's just not as 'dangerous' but they still enjoy it and have a laugh.
Lowing the drinking age... selfishly, yeah, i'd say go on but it'd be a bad idea to let younger and less mature teens to drink and encourage them to get totally sloshed, take more than what they can handle and end up in hospital getting their stomach pumped. And boy, I know alot of people who've done that.
Know your limits.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 3rd, 2010 at 08:21pm
HQuinn:
I hate the fact that some parents are so protective of their children and won't let them drink.
Yeah, they're such bad parents. Because, you know, alcohol is really good for your body and stuff and by drinking it, you can only benefit!

I use sarcasm here because you're implying that parents are somehow doing a disservice to their children by warning them not to drink, when in reality they are probably doing them a favour.

Not letting your child drink is actually a pretty mature and responsible thing to do, which is funny because you talk so much about maturity in your post, and you imply that maturity is "knowing your limits". No, maturity is actually realising that alcohol is one of the most abused substances in this world and that the earlier you start drinking, the more it impacts on your brain, your body, your liver, your heart. Drinking kills brain cells. Imagine how healthy we would all be if no one drank alcohol? If no one were an alcoholic? If no one had a binge drinking problem (binge drinking is a problem amongst young people)? Alcohol does more harm than good. Parents shouldn't be chastised for doing something responsible because that just doesn't make any sense.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
February 3rd, 2010 at 09:30pm
^^ I think what HQuinn meant was not letting them have a glass of wine at dinner or champagne at New Years or stuff like that. I agree with HQuinn on that.

My parents let me have wine when they do, and I think that if you let your kids do that then it lowers the taboo against drinking and it lowers the risk of teens doing it just to rebel.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 3rd, 2010 at 10:51pm
^I fail to see where you got that impression, considering she didn't even mention any of that in her post.

The whole post implied to me that it's better that kids start drinking earlier because then they won't want to as much later on, which isn't true for everyone.
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
February 3rd, 2010 at 11:02pm
HQuinn:
But anyway, as long as your aware of the dangers, then have fun. You can't stop anyone from doing what they want to do but you can inform them.

Honestly, there will only be about 3 kids at an entire party who will have their health in mind. And have you ever tried to take a drink away from someone who is smashed or even explain something to them that they'll listen to? No, that's not happening.

Adults 21 or over who have drank before the legal drinking age are about 5x more likely to have alcohol dependence or abuse.
Teenagers just do NOT have the ability to control impulsive actions, therefore 1 shot turns into 4, 1 beer turns into 5, and pretty soon you're stumbling around drunkly making a fool of yourself. The only thing more pathetic than a 15 year old thinking they're the shit while macking on everyone at the party is... oh wait, you can't get dumber than that.

Look, I'm not saying I don't go to the occasional party, but I've educated myself by looking at statistics and watching my peers make asses out of themselves.
It's rare that attendees at a high school party will know their limits, and it's ignorant to assume so.
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
February 3rd, 2010 at 11:14pm
Alcoholism - "a chronic disorder characterized by dependence on alcohol, repeated excessive use of alcoholic beverages, the development of withdrawal symptoms on reducing or ceasing intake, morbidity that may include cirrhosis of the liver, and decreased ability to function socially and vocationally."

Also, something interesting - "The three leading causes of death for 15- to 24-year-olds are automobile crashes, homicides and suicides -- alcohol is a leading factor in all three."
Or am I just fat??
Really Not Okay
Or am I just fat??
February 4th, 2010 at 11:13am
Mindfuck:
^I fail to see where you got that impression, considering she didn't even mention any of that in her post.

The whole post implied to me that it's better that kids start drinking earlier because then they won't want to as much later on, which isn't true for everyone.

I wasnt saying that at all, so your judgement is wrong. Why would I write a whole paragraph with that point of view, when I said that alcohol dependency is wrong. Of course any toxin is going to posion your body, its whether you make the decision to or whether not. Also, I never said EVERYONE. I'm aware that some people don't like drinking, even though they've never tried it which is fair enough and I can accept their views on that.
I was merely pointing out the factor that if parents control their children and make their decisions for them, then some may rebel against it and it really can damage them. I'm not encourging drinking, i'm just say let your child experience but don't let them run wild. You have to find a balance between that.
Lights
Salute You in Your Grave
Lights
February 4th, 2010 at 11:25pm
While I do agree that oppressing your child could be detrimental in the long run, I think parents do it because they've experienced or seen things in their lives that they don't want their children to have to experience. This isn't always communicated to or understood by the children. So I do agree that kids need to be taught the facts and not just be told "no".
Also, some people never drink alcohol because they know alcoholism is an inherited trait, and genetics could decide if they will become dependent on it or not. I know it runs in my blood, because my grandmother was an alcoholic, but I've learned to drink responsibly if the time comes around, which I rarely allow it to. But I do understand people defying the warnings and such, because I have obviously done so.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
February 5th, 2010 at 01:32am
Ludwig.:

I was merely pointing out the factor that if parents control their children and make their decisions for them, then some may rebel against it and it really can damage them. I'm not encourging drinking, i'm just say let your child experience but don't let them run wild. You have to find a balance between that.
Well, of course. Teenagers have been rebelling for time immemorial.

But that doesn't mean a parent can't be responsible and not want their child to drink. You can educate a child and tell them "no" at the same time.

Your way of thinking makes little sense to me - you're saying parents shouldn't control their kids because they may rebel, but they should control them so they don't get too wild.
Or am I just fat??
Really Not Okay
Or am I just fat??
February 5th, 2010 at 07:12am
Mindfuck:

[size=80]
Your way of thinking makes little sense to me - you're saying parents shouldn't control their kids because they may rebel, but they should control them so they don't get too wild.

Like I said, its about finding a balance between those two.
it's all happening
Salute You in Your Grave
it's all happening
February 10th, 2010 at 02:08am
I think the real problem here is not that kids are drinking--- it's that cultures that label underage drinking as taboo or illegal are the same ones that have the most young people binge drinking and getting sick. It's like we're creating cultures that look down upon drinking, but look the other way when shit happens.

I'm a 17 year old American public school kid, and I've seen first-hand how much kids talk about "last weekend's party" during class, and the teacher or other adult simply stiffens their brow and moves on.

It's also a big problem in pop culture; of course, TV shows and movies need to have the correct dose of illegal underage activity (let's be realistic, now), but when shows like Gossip Girl depict glamorous lifestyles of drinking and unprotected sex, it gives teens the wrong idea.

It's probably been said before. It just needs to be rehashed.

edit; The correct solution? A culture more accepting of drinking. Less 21 shots and barhopping for your twenty-first birthday, more social drinking at a younger age around responsible adults, such as parents. (However, this opens up another can of worms- many parents simply don't know how to do this right. Other parents are even alcoholics themselves. This is where my country seems to have hit a wall.)