Don't have an account? Create one!

News Stories

AuthorMessage
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 7th, 2008 at 06:33am
Oh man. That was like the one Channel 9 show I've ever been interested in.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2008 at 03:16am
Hahaha. So I can't watch the video so I have no idea what they're saying. But I'm heaps glad someone kicked his ugly head in.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 12th, 2008 at 03:31am

Lmfao. I wish they'd break his glasses tbh.
Although I didn't watch the video, so maybe they did (fingers crossed haha)

Continuing on from the Underbelly thing, it got banned in Victoria, and they're not allowed to put any previews or anything online because it may jeopardise some dudes trial.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2008 at 03:34am
Gheyyyy. My dad's gonna be pissed. He was really looking forward to that.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
February 12th, 2008 at 03:37am
oh my god, the world has seriously gone crazy

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=377452
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 12th, 2008 at 04:56am
Hahahhahahaha.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2008 at 05:45pm
The National Apology anyone. I'm glad we finally have a government prepared to apologise.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 12th, 2008 at 06:51pm

I'm not sorry for anything. I don't think they even deserve an apology.
I'm never going to support it.
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 12th, 2008 at 07:29pm
I'm also not sorry.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 12th, 2008 at 10:45pm
I find it so odd that so many people are adamant about not saying sorry. I mean, today was an apology on behalf of the government, not the people. As far as the people are concerned, it's not an admission of guilt, it's en expression of sympathy.

When someone has a loved one who died, people are quick to say "I'm sorry for your loss." It's not your fault, but you express your sympathy all the same. Yet it's so hard to say the same to a race of people who suffered so much more loss?

/2 cents
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 12th, 2008 at 11:33pm

The thing that gets me though is that they are still claiming they are so hardly done by.
They could have turned around and said 'yeah, this was a bad thing to happen, but now I'm going to make the most of what I have today', but the vast majority would rather sit on their arses and complain about stuff that happened in the past.

Which, by the way, was government policy put into place in order to help them survive. I mean seriously, would they have rathered the White Australia policy was kept in place? Would they rather people were still allowed to kill them purely because they are black?
Apologising for that is basically like saying "I'm sorry we adopted this policy instead of killing you off"
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 13th, 2008 at 12:15am
Oh of course, there are a fair few who do do that. But I don't think that should deter anyone from apologising as there are those who have worked hard and want and need and deserve that apology. The fact is that the government did wrong and for too long they've been too willing to ignore what is a dark part of our history.

As politics goes, what the real reason is and what the reason given to the public are often two separate things. They were trying to breed out the Aboriginals. It was genocide. They shouldn't have kept the White Australia policy, but they sure as hell could have adopted a much better policy instead. They were ignorant. Their methods were cruse. And for that they should be sorry.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 13th, 2008 at 01:09am

Well yeah, I could have worded that better. It wasn't to help them survive as such, but it was better than just killing them off.
But the people who took these kids in were doing it for their own good, the families that looked after them were doing of their own accord, nobody was forced to look after the aboriginal children. I don't see why people should have to apologise for giving them what was in 99% of cases, a better life with better opportunities than they would have had if left with their own families.

A journalist a few years back actually looked for aboriginal people that were 'stolen' from their families that thought they would have had a better life if they were left with their biological families. Not one person came forward to him.
I'm not saying that that means all people think they would have been better off being seperated from their biological families, but a hell of a lot recognise that they were.

If they want to 'move forward' and 'be equal' or whatever it is that they want, maybe they should give up all the government benefits they get purely for being ATSI.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
February 13th, 2008 at 05:52am
i seriosuly cannot believe you.

what if you were taken from your parents? or your child was taken from you?

of course they deserve an apology, it was a horrible horrible thing to do and it was such a black mark on australias history
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 13th, 2008 at 07:21am
And why would someone be taken from their parents nowadays? Generally because the parent would be seen to be unfit to raise a child. Do you suppose that in fifty years we'll be apologising to all those parents and children? I suspect not. I'm not saying that what happened was right, and I'm not saying that many of the parents would not have been wonderful parents. However, in being removed, those children were given many more opportunities than they would have otherwise recieved. I do understand the loss of their culture, and the impact that that had upon them (I studied Aboriginal religion in year 12, for a term) ((Not that I'm claiming to know everything about it or anything, I'm just saying!)

Have we apologised to the Iraqis for invading them?

Have we apologised to the Vietnamese for invading them?

Why not? How is it different?
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 13th, 2008 at 11:10pm

I agree with Sez 100%

If those children were left with their families, and not given opportunities to integrate with the 'white' culture, we'd be being forced to say sorry for that too.
I mean, then they'd be left without shelter as we know it, without food/water depending on the conditions, and without advanced medicine. It's a catch 22, they're not going to be happy, whatever is done.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
February 14th, 2008 at 02:53am
what so you were there?
you know 100% in your mind that they wouldve been miserable with their families?

what are they not allowed to have emotional trauma inflicted on them? is it coz theyre black? are they not normal or something?

also, alot of those kids wouldve been better off with their families, as members of the white families sexually abused them.

the more ignorant you are the more you believe we shouldnt of apologised

they tried to commit GENOCIDE by assimilating them into the white culture until they bred out. that is GENOCIDE, not too different form the likes iof hitler or stalin ableit their take on it was alot harsher but thats another arguement altogether
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
February 14th, 2008 at 03:36am

I'd like to know how disagreeing with your opinion makes me ignorant.
I studied Aboriginal culture every single year I was at school, as well as Aboriginal Law, and the stolen generation in depth in years 11 and 12. So I'm hardly ignorant of what happened.

My argument is that they would be forcing an apology out of us no matter what happened, as I said before it's a catch 22.
Are you seriously going to deny that they didn't recieve better opportunities in the long run as a result of this?
I'm not saying that it wouldn't have been hard on the families, and I'm not saying that in a lot of cases the parents would have been able to care for them, but what happened happened, and nothing is going to change that.
Would it really have been better for them in the long run to have been left completely on their own, no houses, inadequate supplies in times of drought/flood, no access to advanced medicine?
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
February 14th, 2008 at 03:59am
What I find important is that a lot of them needed this apology in order to move on, and for that alone I think it was worth it.
Meagan.
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Meagan.
February 14th, 2008 at 04:25am
^Agreed