Don't have an account? Create one!

News Stories

AuthorMessage
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 14th, 2008 at 09:48pm
Yes, please tell me exactly how I am ignorant?

So sexual abuse wouldn't have happened in the Aboriginal community? Wait, were we not discussing just a few pages back, the rape of a young Aboriginal girl by fellow members of her community? By no means am I saying that it was therefore okay for the sexual abuse by the white people to occur, by the way.

As I said in my last post (which I'm wondering if you actually read), I'm sure many of the parents would have been able to care for their children, however, for the most part, they recieved so many more opportunities in the white community. Will you deny that? How do you know 100% in your mind that they would have been happy with inadequate food, water, medicine, education, ability to operate (for lack of a better word, which I know I know, but I just can't think of...) in the white community?
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
February 15th, 2008 at 01:53am
Although I totally understand your opinion, Sez, as well as Asha's, the thing is - they didn't ask to be given more opportunities.
The Aboriginal culture had survived years previous to the issue. But their culture is enormously different to anything any of us could experience.
They were brought up with a rich tradition to live off the land. They were not brought up to go to university and get a degree in medicine.

They were taken from their parents for the wrong reasons.
Only now are excuses and reasons being made for their trauma.
Back when it all happened, the white Australians took them away from their parents because they believed being an Aboriginal made a person unfit to care for their children.
They were taken away from their families based purely on uneducated racial discrimination.
They were not taken away in the mindset that 'these kids can get an education'.

And, of all the Aboriginal children that were taken away from their families, how many of those 'foster' families let them go to school, because they genuinely wanted them to be given more opportunities?
That was hardly allowed for white Australian girls, let alone Aboriginal children.
They were used a servants. They were taught that the white Australian was superior to them.

My point is, now, after so many years, it's easy to make excuses.
Because we're looking back on the situation in hindsight.
It's easy and painless to say they were taken from their families because it offered a better life for them, and they were able to receive more opportunities.

But at the time, that was not the mindset.
Instead it was, "You are black - you are unfit to care for your children."
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
February 15th, 2008 at 08:12am
Hmm, you make good points Jules, and I do understand that it is correct, but were the Aboriginal people going to stay by themselves in communities forever? They would have to assimilate eventually; can you imagine Australia today with communities of Aboriginal people, who had no communication or contact with the rest of Australia? Certainly the way in which they were forced to assimilate was by no means good or fair, but had they not been given the opportunities (asked for or not), Australia would be a completely divided nation. And, as Asha said, we'd have to apologise to them for that instead.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, I probably shouldn't be writing this after going out drinking (though not much Wink), and being this tired. Ah well.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 7th, 2008 at 01:39am

I just have to post this
I don't care what anybody says, that is JUST PLAIN WRONG.
One of the main things that got me (after the whole father & daughter having sex thing, seriously wtf), is that is says they met, and then two weeks later they were having sex.
WHAT THE HELL.

One of my favourite comments on the story is:
"No offence to my Dad but I just don't find him THAT attractive"
LMFAO.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
April 7th, 2008 at 02:36am
"I was looking at him, sort of going, oh, he's not too bad," she said.

She sounds like an idiot. And he's even worse. The whole "I knew it was illegal, of course I knew it was illegal but you know, so what.".

Fan-fuckting-tastic mentality. Oh sure, I knew killing that bloke was illegal, but so what?
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
April 7th, 2008 at 05:02am
That really is just wrong.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
April 7th, 2008 at 06:01am
We were talking about it in Legal Studies, and seriously.
"For Mr Deaves the sexual relationship was "absolutely fantastic". "
That's fucked, for lack of any better word.

If I were them, I would not want to show my face in public, it's just embarrassing.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 7th, 2008 at 06:10am

I don't understand why they would come out and say that they are in a sexual relationship on national tv, just wtf.
I mean, that poor kid.
She's going to be screwed up enough when she's old enough to realise her father is also her grandfather, but now that her parents (/grandfather...) have been on national tv, the poor thing just doesn't have a chance at a normal life.

And with that story, there's so many people commenting saying ''~love is love!!1!!!"
But seriously, no. Familial love is just so unbelievably different to love with other people.
I mean, I love my family but I'm not going to go have sex with them.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
April 7th, 2008 at 06:14am
Agreed.
I think it was mentioned in that article - there's some sort of psychological connection you create with your family, even if you have been separated from them, which can be mistaken for romantic love.
But to act on it is incest, and there are no excuses for consentual incest.

It's not only morally wrong, but biologically wrong - for the health and well being of their own child.
They obviously have little consideration, because even if they wanted a physical relationship, they shouldn't have children.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
April 8th, 2008 at 12:06am
Incest worked for the Egyptians. xD

But really, 'victims' of incest are often psychologically scarred, particularly when it happens at such a young age. I have mixed opinions regarding incest when it's between two people of the same age, but when the ages differ it's a completely different ball game. When something of that nature happens that young, it stunts emotional growth. The adults in charge ought to know better. Children aren't necessarily going to completely comprehend how incredibly wrong it is. They're not going to know enough to really know if that's what they want.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
April 15th, 2008 at 04:04am
James Blunt breaks finger stage diving

lmfao

Pity he didn't break his face. Neutral
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 15th, 2008 at 05:03am

LMFAOOOOOOOO.
lulz, stage diving at a James Blunt concert xDDDD
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
April 15th, 2008 at 10:27pm
HAHAHAHA
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
April 16th, 2008 at 02:29am
bahahaha. pop singers just dont know how to stage dive.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 20th, 2008 at 10:02pm

Party boy Corey Worthington a Big Brother housemate

plz no.
I can't believe they're still trying to do this show.
Just let it go already!!
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
April 20th, 2008 at 11:11pm
Oh dear.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
April 20th, 2008 at 11:19pm
Ugh, Big Brother. I hate that show so much, its retarded I swear.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
April 21st, 2008 at 12:23am
Oh fuck no. I love Big Brother. I don't think I'll watch if that pitiful excuse for a human being is on it.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
April 21st, 2008 at 12:46am

Every year I start out hating it, but I always end up watching a bit of it.
But this year I honestly don't think I will.
I cannot stand Kyle & Jackie O (mainly Kyle), and this whole campaign they've got going just shits me.
The format is really stale now, as is their whole 'no no, it's completely different this year!' thing that they do every year.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
April 21st, 2008 at 05:11am
That's kinda like me, cept I start out not caring much about it then get hooked.

This year is gonna suck. With Kyle and Jackie O [whose name I just typoed as Kackie LOL] it's gonna look like some crappy Channel 7 show.

Sigh.