Don't have an account? Create one!

News Stories

AuthorMessage
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
May 27th, 2008 at 07:25am
I don't drink, and so I understand - from an 'outsiders' point of view - the point of the binge drinking campaign, but I agree.
It's a very temporary solution, and the government should put more effort into other aspects of society.
I mean, there will always be binge drinking, underage drinking, drinking in general.
It's so hard to monitor such an issue, and really - it comes down to the person in question. And because drinking is more a personal thing, to a certain extent, it would mean the government needs a good hearty chat to every person that considers themselves to be a drinker. Which will never happen, haha.

But, aside from the criticism of it all - the Rudd government's decision to pursue such an issue really demonstrates how different of a government it is to that of John Howard's.
I'm not saying Kevin Rudd is the best PM in the world - but he's doing a hell of a better job than John Howard ever did.
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
May 27th, 2008 at 10:01am
Oh certainly, I can see the benefits that the added tax and the no happy hours would be seen to have (whether they do or not - that's another matter. Apparently sales of alcopops are still about the same), but I really don't think that it will help at all. Surely people will be all 'fuck you Kevin, I'm going to drink more because you're telling me I'm not allowed to.' Certainly a childish position to take, but I'm sure that a lot of people will take it.

I didn't drink until I was about 3 months off legally being allowed to, so I do think that both underage and binge drinking are issues, but bandaid solutions are only bandaid solutions.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
May 29th, 2008 at 06:09am
BAHAHAHAHAHA that thing on a current affair talking about her love affair with wayne carey.

it was so funny, i didnt think it was serious. apparently it was
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 29th, 2008 at 08:22am

does anyone got anything ot say about that muslim school in camden that got knocked back ?

i was watching the news yesterday and the people in that protest crowd seemed really intollerant. they probably werent but they showed up decked out in flags and stuff but like, what makes the fact their muslim any less Australian than them

asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 29th, 2008 at 08:38am

if they're so Australian, why don't they go to 'regular' schools then?
it works both ways.
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
May 29th, 2008 at 08:44am
Yeah true. I think (not that I really know much about it at all) that it should've been allowed though (that's the issue, right?) because Christian schools are allowed, wait, I'm sure that there're Islamic schools here. Why was this one knocked back?
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 29th, 2008 at 08:48am

Yeah ofcourse but i suppose if i was an islamic parent and i wanted my child to learn in an islamic environment ide send m child to that school much in the same maner i went to catholic school

you dont have to be of middle eastern herritage to be islamic
i know alot of people who are of south east asian herritage that are islamic
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 29th, 2008 at 09:05am
If I was an Islamic parent who so desperately wanted my child to learn in an Islamic environment, I'd go to an Islamic country.

I don't want to seem intolerant, or racist, because I'm not, though it will probably come across that way. But I for one am sick and tired of having to change our ways to suit other nationalities.

Exhbit A: My cousins' annual end of year Christmas concert was scrapped because it 'may offend other religions'. I'm sorry, you're offended? Well how about you get the fuck outta my country.

It pisses me off that they now have to dip out on something that was so important to them. On something that was so important to me as a child. I loved getting to go up on stage and sing carols with my class. Why should they miss out?

A friend of mine went on holiday to Egypt. While looking at the pyramids she was hissed at and spat on because she dared to wear a v-neck sweater. She immediately went home, changed into a turtle neck so that she was properly covered, and returned.

You don't see us going to other countries screaming about how they need to respect our beliefs and change their ways to suit us. In fact, in some countries, such a suggestion would see you shot on sight.

I'm sick of baby sitting every other nationality.

No wonder we have race-fuelled riots. I'm not condoning them, but bloody hell, it's no wonder.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 29th, 2008 at 09:16am

but then again why should Islamic people give up their culture to live in a first world country ?

I can see your point where like your not really happy about the old way being tossed out to make way for the new way but i thikn thats got something to do with Australia becoming even more of a multicultural society. i mean its only been thirty odd years since the white Austrlia policys been lifted and were still getting surges of new nationalities.

i dont think were "babysitting" other nationalities i think Australias still trying to find its national identity and i suppose down the track the country will eventually embrace the islamic people and theyll become part of this national identity, much life the italians and the asians of the last generation.

i think the islamics have got a bad wrap over the last couple of years especially with all this war on terrorism business. they werent as visible as they are now before 2001 and because of this we label them as bad people/

Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 29th, 2008 at 09:44pm
Because that's the choice you make when you go to another country; you either stay home and get things your way, or you go somewhere else and abide by their rules.

It's like visiting someone elses house. If they ask you to take your shoes off at the door so you don't traipse dirt all through their house you respect that. You don't leave your shoes on and go kick your feet up on their couch just because it's something you get to do at home. You play by their rules, and to even contemplate otherwise is considered extremely rude. The analogy is fitting here.

I have plenty of Islamic friends who got a fantastic education in our public schools and get a fair dose of their culture at home and with the wider Islamic community.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 29th, 2008 at 10:53pm
Oh, and while on this topic: This is bullshit.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 30th, 2008 at 12:28am

LMFAO.
Lulz, I have a similar scarf. Actually I have two, because I couldn't decide between the black with white, or the white with black xD
Anyway, I ~must be advocating terrorism.

Edit;
lololol, I may actually be able to use that as a case study for comm law xD
thanks Rhiannon!
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 30th, 2008 at 12:43am
HAHA. Glad to be of service. *bows*

Pete Wentz's blog on the matter made me lol.
sez
Bleeding on the Floor
sez
May 30th, 2008 at 01:35am
LMFAO, I saw that the other day, I was just amazed. I mean really. It's a fucking SCARF. I know so many people who have scarves like that. My friends are all terrorists, oh noes!

I think that Islamic schools should be allowed; other religions have religion-specific schools, I think that not allowing them is discriminatory, but I think that cancelling a Christmas concert is ridiculous. This country was (at least in the past) predominantly Christian. So, we celebrate Christmas and Easter as national holidays. I'm sure that in Islamic countries, these days are either not celebrated, or celebrated for different reasons (I'm not too sure of the Islamic take on Jesus, year 11 was too long ago.) So even though there is no official religion in this country, we fucking celebrate Christmas and Easter. It's part of our culture. It's like banning barbeques, saying that it might offend... people who don't believe in fire. Mmhmm.

Why do we have Churches? Might they not "offend other religions"?
How would a Christmas concert offend other religions? If they don't want to hear/ sing carols (majority of which, yes, are based on the story of Christmas - funny that) then just DON'T GO. Like if I didn't want to hear an Islamic sermon, I wouldn't go to a Mosque.

Simple.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
May 30th, 2008 at 05:28am
Rh!annon:
Because that's the choice you make when you go to another country; you either stay home and get things your way, or you go somewhere else and abide by their rules.

It's like visiting someone elses house. If they ask you to take your shoes off at the door so you don't traipse dirt all through their house you respect that. You don't leave your shoes on and go kick your feet up on their couch just because it's something you get to do at home. You play by their rules, and to even contemplate otherwise is considered extremely rude. The analogy is fitting here.

I have plenty of Islamic friends who got a fantastic education in our public schools and get a fair dose of their culture at home and with the wider Islamic community.

yeah that does make sense that analogy. but does that mean that just like locks out people from coming to Australia then ?i mean if you cant fit in does that mean you have to leave the country ? or not just come at all.
i mean its not like they're systematically trying to take over the country, they just want to live here and at the same time practice their own cultures, just like any other culture does. its not like they were forcing their religion down peoples throats though

im sure they do ive been to both a private school and a public school the teachings the same but just like the catholics aren't they entitled to build a school thats bases its work on their faith. it should be the same as any other faith school.

Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
May 30th, 2008 at 06:22am
umm, babysit other nationalities? we arent asking them to respect out beliefs?
WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK THE CITIZENSHIP TEST IS?
its keeping the 'unworthy people' out and making the ones who make it in swear to live by our rules.

we do the same thing. stop thinkning we are the tolerant ones.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 30th, 2008 at 08:00am
Chyeah. They pass said test, supposedly respect our beliefs then go "It offends me, stop it."

Total respect, right there.

^^ And I'm not talking about locking people out. They're free to come here s'long as they respect our beliefs. It's not about having to assimilate. Just don't shove your beliefs down any one elses throat. It goes for all nationalities. Admittedly, I'm obviously taking this far beyond the school issue.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
May 30th, 2008 at 08:08am

I guess this is somewhat related, in an indirect way.
I saw a guy near my uni today wearing a shirt that said "BLK FOR LYF"
Now, why is it ok for people to wear things like this, when if I were to wear something similar, only saying something about being white, I would be considered completely racist?
As I said, it's not directly related, but it does show the double standards in society.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
May 30th, 2008 at 08:21am
Yeah, there are a lot of double standards. Again slightly tangential, but it mirrors a convo with my boyfriend wherein we were talking about religion, and I was saying how for a Christian to preach to an athiest, but for an athiest to voice their views to a Christian it's seen as offensive.

I guess there's unfairness towards all races somewhere. It just sucks period.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
May 31st, 2008 at 06:24am
well if you want them to respect our beliefs, whoevers friend who went to egypt shouldve respect them and covered up