Don't have an account? Create one!

News Stories

AuthorMessage
misa misa.
Shotgun Sinner
misa misa.
December 17th, 2007 at 06:55am
i think that judge with the gang rape is the worsti have heard lately.
talk about racist and inhumane and arggh...
i cant believe those kind of attitudes still exist today
the worst thing for me is the guys were pleading guilty and were still let off. let alone the crime. it is disgusting.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 17th, 2007 at 04:39pm

It's scary that the statistics are that high (1 in 3)
That's terrible, I have no idea what else to say about it.
It's quite shocking that it is that high in a developed country where the leaders pride themselves on running the best (or one of the best) countries in the world.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
December 17th, 2007 at 11:18pm
Yeah, I was rather shocked when reading the statistics, too. What concerns me moreso is the 1 in 10. I guess that's why lately they're making such a push for sexual abuse victims to come forward. I'd imagine it would be such a hard thing to do.

I was reading a story the other day of a girl who was gang raped and came forward about it and the backlash she copped, particularly at school, was terrible. Like people would say to her 'Who'd want to rape you? You're too fat and ugly.'

No wonder people keep it to themselves.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 17th, 2007 at 11:27pm

I think I heard about that case too, or one very similar anyway.
Was it the Tegan Wagner one?
I saw her interviewed on like, 9am with David & Kim I think, and her story was just horrible. You'd think her 'friends' would have supported her, but they just insulted her to no end. That, and the trial, would have been if not as bad, very close to it, as the actual rape.

The trials that rape victims used to have to go through would have been terrifying as well. Not only did they have to sit across from the perpetrators of the rape, but they would also be basically called a liar.
I think they've changed the structure/procedures in rape trials now, haven't they? I know they were trying to, in order to make it less traumatic for the victim, but unfortunately I think a lot of victims still think it will be like it used to. No wonder so many cases go unreported.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
December 17th, 2007 at 11:40pm
I can't really remember exactly, but my Legal Studies teacher was explaining to us that rape trials undergo a different procedure to any other criminal case.
If the victim is underage especially, it's done in a completely different way so they don't have to sit in court or something. I can't remember. >.<
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 17th, 2007 at 11:55pm

Yeah, all I can remember from Legal Studies is that they were trying to make it much less traumatic for the victim, but I can't remember how they were going about that =/

It's a good thing that they have recognised that it is extremely difficult for the victim, and that they are trying to make it easier. I guess it's a step towards making sure that people feel safer in coming forward after they have been assaulted.
Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
December 18th, 2007 at 12:49am
asha molly.:

I think I heard about that case too, or one very similar anyway.
Was it the Tegan Wagner one?
I saw her interviewed on like, 9am with David & Kim I think, and her story was just horrible. You'd think her 'friends' would have supported her, but they just insulted her to no end. That, and the trial, would have been if not as bad, very close to it, as the actual rape.

It may have been that case, I can't recall the name, but that name sounds very familiar. She was at party, it was three guys who did it to her, I think it said they were of some Indian-ish ethnicity. I dunno if that helps clarify if we're talking about the same case. But yeah, the trial would be terrible - she herself said she felt like she was being raped all over again.

The only thing that annoys me is that in the case like this girls', it could have been avoided. She didn't wanna go to the party, she was uncomfortable being there, she didn't know the people, where she was or how to get home. She was blind drunk and snogging the first guy who raped her before she decided that's not what she wanted. Now, I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, I'm not saying it was her fault or that she deserved it or anything by any stretch of the imagination - rape is rape and all rapes are wrong. But if she was clever about it she could have avoided the situation. Sexual assault is common enough without people putting themselves into situations where it can happen. You're much better off coming across as anti-social or being teased at school for being a loner or something for saying no to a party that seems dodgy than going to said party, getting smashed when you don't want to and running the risk of something happening.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
December 18th, 2007 at 06:34am
I agree with you about that Rhiannon.
Some situations can be avoided, and all it takes is some common sense and a gut instinct.
I mean, getting raped shouldn't be the consequence for not being sensible or whatever, but sometimes, it's a lot easier just to use your head and you could save your own life, or pride.

The teenage society is too caught up about impressing others and all that crap.
Of course it's fantastic to have a group of friends, and to be invited to parties, and to have guys/girls attracted to you, but that is not the bee all and end all of this universe and life itself.
Sure, it matters to you today if that cute guy thinks your hot, but will it matter to you in fifty years? No. (Unless you seriously have issues.)
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 18th, 2007 at 08:39am
jesus christ..apparently britney spears is pregnant.

anyway, how bullshit is it that they are blaming kevin rudd for the fall of the us dollar?

thats so crap!
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
December 18th, 2007 at 06:42pm
Ew. To who exactly?!

Hahahahaha, are you serious?!
That's about as intelligent as a rock.
Well done. This world is officially fucked.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 18th, 2007 at 11:09pm

I dunno about Britney... but her 16 year old sister is pregnant.
And it's totally a story that deserves to be one of the main ones on ninemsn

This made me laugh though:
"What message does she want to send to other teens about premarital sex?
"I definitely don't think it's something you should do; it's better to wait," she says."
Hahahaha. Bit late to be saying that XD

Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 19th, 2007 at 12:07am
those spears' peple. THEY CRAZY!

as crazy as...

"A woman in the US state of Connecticut has been charged with allegedly groping a Santa while sitting on his lap in a shopping centre."

haha, oh dear lord.

Rh!annon
Salute You in Your Grave
Rh!annon
December 19th, 2007 at 12:34am
lmfao

That is GOLD.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
December 19th, 2007 at 03:23am
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMG.
You can get charged for even looking at someone the wrong way!

And Jamie Spears or whatever is just a ph00l. She's sixteen!
That's just plain out retarded.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 28th, 2007 at 11:48pm

It made me laugh so much how she was all "sex before marriage is like so not cool".
If she actually meant that, she wouldn't be knocked up lol.
And I also found it amusing that her mother wrote a parenting book, that is now 'delayed indefinately'.
Cause she's obviously the type of mother that every woman should aspire to be XDDDDD

What does everybody think of this whole David Hicks thing?
I think it's completely shit how he is going to be living off Centrelink payments for god knows how long.
I mean seriously, he's just got out of prison for providing material support for terrorism, and was training with the Taliban (or was it Al Quaeda? I honestly can't remember), and now our society is going to be basically giving him a free ride.
But why on earth should we? The guy obviously has something against western society, if he hadn't been taken into custody who knows what he could have planned/done, and now he's pretty much being paid by taxpayers. It's like 'oh hey, I hate(d) you guys and totally support(ed) the guys who want to kill you at any given chance, but could you please give me some money?'
Muffin Top
Jazz Hands
Muffin Top
December 29th, 2007 at 12:20am
I know......i think it's pathetic but i guess he has to live on benifits cos i don't think he will be given a job anytime soon lol. I think that anyone who thinks osama bin laden is a "really nice guy" should not have been let out of guantanemo (sp?) bay in the first place.....i don't even know why Australia bothered to have him brought back.

My religion teacher signed this petition and every thing to free him.....i reckon she is being a bit naive......why do we want terrorits in our country..aren't we just setting ourselves up for an attack??

One chick in my class didn't even think he was guilty or a terrorist..she thought that those photos of him holding the guns were fake and that he'd been set up....wtf?? sorry for the rant Very Happy
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 29th, 2007 at 04:08am
it was unfair to hicks to hold him and torture him for 5 years without even charging him of anythinhg

its all bullshit, whether he is a terrorist or not.
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
December 29th, 2007 at 05:20am
The torture he was forced to endure was wrong on all levels, in my opinion. It's inhumane treatment, regardless of what he might've been planning to do.
He should've been brought to Australia's prisons a lot earlier.

I'm not denying he was training with the Taliban or whatever, but what he was planning to do and what he actually did are two different things.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
December 30th, 2007 at 02:07am

^^
So what, they should just leave people with terrorist connections alone?
Of course they should have detained him.
I'd much rather live in a world where people who have trained and provided support for terrorist organisations are locked up, rather than one where they are allowed to roam free and do who knows what.

I can't really comment on the whole torture thing, because I honestly don't remember the details of it.
But I really do think it's wrong that he gets supported by a system that he obviously turned his back on.
And it also annoys me that there are people telling the media that we should all respect him because he's a only human and makes mistakes like the rest of us. No, he was with the Taliban. I know everybody makes mistakes, but joining the Taliban is not one that 'good' or 'normal' people make.
Joining the Taliban cancels out any right to respect he may have had, in my opinion.
Going by their logic, we should then respect the terrorists, because they're only human afterall
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
December 30th, 2007 at 05:09am
asha molly.:

^^
So what, they should just leave people with terrorist connections alone?
Of course they should have detained him.
but they were holdiong him without a reason, they never charged him on anything, it was unlawful detainment. shouldnt have happened. all they had was a photo, no real evidence