Don't have an account? Create one!

Teenage Depression

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 18th, 2009 at 09:34pm
^Try telling someone with long term clinical depression to just put their "mind over matter" and suck it up. That's the general idea I got from your post. I can just tell that wouldn't work for most depressed people.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
October 20th, 2009 at 06:34pm
"Mind over matter" is the whole idea behind going to any kind of mental therapy rather than taking medications, and I am in agreement with THAT idea, so...

I'm...sure that there are times when medication is necessary but even though I'm no expert, I know most cases can be helped with professional mental guidance.
xxtoryxx
Killjoy
xxtoryxx
October 25th, 2009 at 10:15pm
i think that because of the hormones it might make it a little harder, although from personal experiences i do believe there is teenage depression. Also the people who have been depressed before both have been treated with a plethora of medds, but i do think that depression can be resolved without professional assistance. if you have family support, and friend support then it might make it a lot easier. Also from personal experience i no for a fact that people including tanagers can be pulled out of depression with help form a loved one, friend, or even someone they don't even no very well.
arthur pendragon.
Crash Queen
arthur pendragon.
October 27th, 2009 at 05:03pm
I think...I'm not sure if I believe teenage depression exists. From experience, i've seen a lot of people who claim they are, but really are being very very melodramatic and letting their hormones get entirely too involved.
But on another note different people feel things differently? And react to different circumstances differently. I was told by my counselor that it isn't a situation that that affects us, it's our reaction to it.
Which I took to mean, that the way people react and deal with things puts them as "mind over matter".
Maybe it's learning to deal with certain feelings in a healthy way? I do believe you can be helped of any...depression by seeing a counselor or help group, whatever. Talking about it often does help incredibly. I think sometimes it often mind over matter because of people's unwillingness to get help, or try different methods.

questionable content
Always Born a Crime
questionable content
October 27th, 2009 at 05:31pm
I think with teenage depression especially, sometimes are genuinely sad, but they might exemplify their sadness by saying they have depression. Just like with self-injury, it's something that makes them different and "genuine", different from the "happy, fake teenagers".
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
October 30th, 2009 at 02:18am
peter pan.:
I think...I'm not sure if I believe teenage depression exists.
Teenage Depression does exist; it isn't a matter of "believing" if it exists or not. Some people just don't take it seriously.
arthur pendragon.
Crash Queen
arthur pendragon.
November 1st, 2009 at 11:51am
Mindfuck:
peter pan.:
I think...I'm not sure if I believe teenage depression exists.
Teenage Depression does exist; it isn't a matter of "believing" if it exists or not. Some people just don't take it seriously.

I take it very very seriously.
But as has been said, teenager years are very hormonal.
And if you go on and read what I've said, you'll understand what I meant in saying that. I explained myself.
So please read before jumping on my very first sentence.

Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 1st, 2009 at 11:41pm
^It's a bit presumptuous to assume I didn't read the rest of your post, isn't it?

I singled out your first sentence because the wording was strange to me. It isn't about "believing" in teenage Depression. You can't believe in Depression, Depression just is.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
November 2nd, 2009 at 09:37am
Actually, this whole thread is about whether or not you believe in teenage depression. "Believing in it" typically means that you are accepting it as legitimate for what it is stated to be. Not believing in it is, simply, not accepting it for what it is stated to be.

Deanna has a valid point for her thought process, so calling attention to her first words and taking them out of context practically invalidifies your argument. :/
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 7th, 2009 at 02:48am
adrien brody:
Actually, this whole thread is about whether or not you believe in teenage depression. "Believing in it" typically means that you are accepting it as legitimate for what it is stated to be. Not believing in it is, simply, not accepting it for what it is stated to be.

Deanna has a valid point for her thought process, so calling attention to her first words and taking them out of context practically invalidifies your argument. :/
How does it invalidate my argument? Because I didn't like her choice of words?

She stated she didn't know if she believes it exists or not, and I disagreed with her stating that teenage depression actually does exist and it isn't about believing it's real because it is real. What's so wrong about me stating my opinion about her choice of words?
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
November 7th, 2009 at 08:46am
Because your argument "Teenage Depression does exist; it isn't a matter of "believing" if it exists or not. Some people just don't take it seriously," says nothing at all about her choice of words, so I'm not at all referring to that; rather, I'm saying that if you're going to make an argument like that, you should look at her entire post, where she explained her 'poor choice of words.'

I'm just disagreeing with your words, anyway. People can choose to believe it exists or not.
The Original Bob.
Demolition Lover
The Original Bob.
November 7th, 2009 at 03:37pm
You can choose to believe it exist or not, but that's like saying that I choose to believe cancer doesn't exist.
Yeah, that's right, I believe that cancer does not exist.
An established medical condition that I do not believe in.

Same thing, really. I think that you can't just choose to believe or not believe in a medical condition
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
November 7th, 2009 at 04:03pm
I'm definitely not saying that I don't believe in it, but hello, isn't that what this thread is about? No one said depression itself didn't exist. She is merely saying she doesn't think it's valid in teenagers. If you guys think that, and if that's a fact, then I don't see how this thread started to begin with.

first post of the thread:
1. Do you think there's really teenage depression, or are they just moody/hormonal/overreacting?

All she did was answer the question.
arthur pendragon.
Crash Queen
arthur pendragon.
November 7th, 2009 at 05:17pm
By my post, I was just saying that on one hand, I'd seen people who claim to be "depressed" but really, weren't. At all. They were just being very hormonal, and over the top. Reacting to situations in a very melodramatic way.
I do give both sides...like...why I'm in the middle?
I was just trying to express my opinion.
I don't suppose I really got my thoughts across well?
I was trying to say, that a lot of the time it's hard to believe teenagers. Or at least some. I'm not questioning it as a mental disorder, only it's...validity with teenagers? Is that the right way to say that?
I didn't mean to cause any ill feeling.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
November 12th, 2009 at 09:12pm
peter pan.:
By my post, I was just saying that on one hand, I'd seen people who claim to be "depressed" but really, weren't. At all. They were just being very hormonal, and over the top. Reacting to situations in a very melodramatic way.
I do give both sides...like...why I'm in the middle?
I was just trying to express my opinion.
I don't suppose I really got my thoughts across well?
I was trying to say, that a lot of the time it's hard to believe teenagers. Or at least some. I'm not questioning it as a mental disorder, only it's...validity with teenagers? Is that the right way to say that?
I didn't mean to cause any ill feeling.

While that is a good point, there is a difference between a teenager who has been diagnosed with depression and one who just acts like it and says they're depressed. I get what you mean about some teenagers being melodramatic, but that doesn't mean that depression is not a real issue for other teenagers who actually have a problem.

I think that it is not really a question of whether or not depression is a valid issue for teenagers. There has been research done recently by psychologists that shows depression is now much more common in teenagers and young adults than it was in the past. The real question is, which teenagers are actually depressed and which ones are either being melodramatic or are having normal emotions associated with hormones.

If teenagers weren't naturally so hormonal, then I don't think there would be any uncertainty about the validity of teenage depression.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
November 15th, 2009 at 04:56am

I see your point, but that can go both ways.

Teenage depression can also fly 'under the radar' as people think it's normal and hormonal. But when it spirals out of control, it could be too late to stop it. It's really hard to diagnose without having studied it for years, because it can be very hard to pick out form normal adolescent behaviour.
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
November 17th, 2009 at 10:52pm
^ I agree.

Even though some people make a big deal out of nothing, unfortunately as you said, a lot of times real teenage depression flies under the radar. Naturally when people are depressed, they don't feel good about themselves and often times feel kind of ashamed to talk about it or get help. Plus, the fact that some people argue that teenagers are hormonal and "its just a phase" makes kids think that they don't actually have a problem so it just gets out of control.

I believe the general guidelines for diagnosing depression are based on if the symptoms persist for two weeks straight or more, I'm not positive if thats the same for teenage depression though. But I think the length of time is key when figuring out if a teenager has depression. Its pretty normal for a teenager to have a day here or there where they are depressed or just not feeling right, but they may claim or think they're depressed. But when its everyday, for a long period of time, thats when there's a problem and it needs to be taken seriously.
vernaaam.
Killjoy
vernaaam.
November 18th, 2009 at 03:20am
If you dont believe in Teenage Depression, I have no respect for you at all.
YES many many teenagers pretend to be depressed for attention or because its the "cool thing to do", but there are also several teenagers that genuinely have depression.

Im not sure what exactly i've got, I dont know whether its Depression of Bipolar or maybe im was just born a dickhead. But i find it incredibly hard to see the good things in people, I hate EVERYONE. I hate everyone at school, people on the street and even my friends and family. I try really hard but its just impossible, I just want everyone to die. I sit in homeclass at school and just watch people walk into class and imagine them tripping and cracking their heads on the tables. I see people walking down the street and just imagine them getting run over.

Does anyone know if their is a medical case of being Misanthropic and if it can be treated? It's really annoying, especially when your talking to your best friend and you imagine yourself pulling out an ak-47 and unloading on him.
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
November 18th, 2009 at 06:35pm
Yeah, I don't think you being full of hatred could quite be qualified as depression, but one thing is for sure - you shouldn't ask for psychological advice from a message board, even a knowledgable one. I'd ask a professional.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 11:08am
I think that, although depression exists in teenagers, that a lot of teenagers seem to think or claim they're clinically depressed when they're not.
I mean, no doubt teenagers can feel depressed. I've yet to meet someone who hasn't or wasn't depressed in their teenage years. You can not have depression and still feel depressed. But teenagers' depressed feelings are usually related to hormones.
And while it goes the other way too, that teenagers suffering from clinical depression chalk it up to hormones, I think the other is more likely.
I know the latter is more harmful, but it's far less likely to happen.

And what i think Deanna way trying to say is that, while depression goes on, it's hard to believe as many teens who claim to be depressed actually are.