Don't have an account? Create one!

MCR in Heart Shaped Box

AuthorMessage
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
May 9th, 2007 at 06:46pm
In a very recent interview, Gerard was asked what he's currently reading. He replied "Heart shaped Box by Joe Hill" and described it as a book about a rock star who buys a ghost on the internet. Well I just finished reading my last book, and that sounded really interesting, so I picked it up out of curiosity. Joe Hill is a pseudonym for Joseph Hillstrom King, who is the son of famed horror novelist Stephen King. It's an incredible read so far, intensely spooky and fast paced. At times it makes my skin crawl. I highly recommend it, if you like really gripping ghost stories.

Today, I was reading through chapter 21. Jude (the main character) was musing on the death of his bandmates while crashing in a hotel room. The narraration was as follows:

"My Chemical Romance was on Conan. They had rings in their lips and eyebrows, their hair done up in spikes, but beneath the white pancake makeup and black lipstick they looked like a collection of chubby kids who had probably been in their high-school marching band a few years earlier. They leaped around, falling into each other, as if the stage beneath them were an electrified plate. They played frantically, pissing themselves with fear. Jude liked them. He wondered which of them would die first."

http://www.joehillfiction.com/
AllOfTheseVampires
Killjoy
AllOfTheseVampires
May 9th, 2007 at 07:02pm
thats such a horrible description of them but its awesome they are in the book!
Pumpkin Peazy
Bulletproof Heart
Pumpkin Peazy
May 9th, 2007 at 07:40pm
I thought it was hilarious. My friend told me about it sometime back =].
Kid Rock
Banned
Kid Rock
May 9th, 2007 at 07:54pm
I think I heard this before too...Maybe on INO somewhere?

He wondered which of them would die first

That made me laugh hard.
wind opaine.
Patron Saint of Switchblade Fights
wind opaine.
May 9th, 2007 at 08:50pm
Ah, I was looking at that book in a store the other day, deciding if I should get it when I had money,

I guess I'm going to get it next time I'm at the bookstore.
XD
ambriece
Always Born a Crime
ambriece
May 9th, 2007 at 08:51pm
I dont like how he described them, I'll have to get this book sometime, though I heard it was pretty good.
zombie eyes
Bleeding on the Floor
zombie eyes
May 9th, 2007 at 08:52pm
Even though it was a pretty lame description, I like it. it's okay other then the black lipstick and spikes part Smile I have that book, just haven't got around so reading it yet
Easter Davy
Motor Baby
Easter Davy
May 9th, 2007 at 10:14pm
Haha, I don't really like the description, but it was still kind of funny.
Illuminatist
Salute You in Your Grave
Illuminatist
May 9th, 2007 at 10:51pm
is that really intentional? i mean the description is he really talking about MCR..it wasnt good though but I think I must get a copy of the book..i like ghost stories
T.T
Motor Baby
T.T
May 9th, 2007 at 11:00pm
Sounds to me like hes really bashing mcr to me...
DeCiMaTeD_DrEaMs
Bleeding on the Floor
DeCiMaTeD_DrEaMs
May 9th, 2007 at 11:46pm
that was a ..weird descrpition, but kool that he mentioned them. i wonder how gerard and the others felt about it when he told them about it. they probably thought it was kool ^^

i dont think i liked the last sentence O_O
i'd like to read this book also(since gerard said it was so good)
art star.
Demolition Lover
art star.
May 9th, 2007 at 11:52pm
Stephen King has a son...?
wow. I must be lving in the past.

I'm gonna look for that book. ^_^
Illuminatist
Salute You in Your Grave
Illuminatist
May 10th, 2007 at 01:04am
shadow in the morgue:
Stephen King has a son...?
wow. I must be lving in the past.

I'm gonna look for that book. ^_^

same here..i thought he's still single..lol
mirarle
Thinking Happy Thoughts
mirarle
May 10th, 2007 at 03:36am
It reads more like a bash to me, but maybe it just sounds that way b/c it's out of context. Actually, if he never mentioned My Chemical Romance, I would have never thought it was them from the description.
AliroSilver
Really Not Okay
AliroSilver
May 10th, 2007 at 04:15am
Dammit I was supposed to pick up that book today too. Damn stomach flu! Eh, I'll get it when I feel better... Didn't even realize MCR was mentioned. As for the description, I don't think it was meant as a bash but you'd have to ask the author.
Bad Wolf
Killjoy
Bad Wolf
May 10th, 2007 at 04:56am
I saw this awhile ago, I found a scan of the page somewhere. I wonder if Gerard knew about that bit before reading the book. Hmm interesting.
Sounds like a really good book, I need to get it I love a good read and I haven't been able to find anything good lately.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
May 10th, 2007 at 11:34am
shadow in the morgue:
Stephen King has a son...? wow. I must be lving in the past.

Yeah, he has a family. He has a wife (Tabitha) of some 36 years, a grown daughter (Naomi) and two grown sons (Joseph and Owen) who both write.

I don't think the MCR thing is a slam. The character is the book is a mid fifties aging rock star, somewhat eccentric in his thinking. He shows a lot of respect for classic rock bands, like Ozzy and Black Sabbath and a mild interest in contemporary music, like Nirvana. He probably really liked MCR for being wild and crazy and singing with so much fear in their voice but couldn't get past how modern rock bands look nowadays. That's kind of the context it was in. It's an age gap commentary. The remarks are a sideways compliment because the character really appreciates horror, occult, freakish stuff, ghosts, and related things, like MCR.

The thing about who would die first was more a reflection on himself, what it's like to be an aging rock star and dealing with the death of bandmates. He was going on about how he thought as the lead singer, he should had died, not his bandmates.
les sucettes.
In The Murder Scene
les sucettes.
May 10th, 2007 at 02:46pm
LOL
If in this book is about MCR... Gerard was reading this and....
HAHHAHWHHAAHAHAHAHA
rofl
gerardmabbitt.
Salute You in Your Grave
gerardmabbitt.
May 10th, 2007 at 03:01pm
I don't like the description, but still, it sounds cool Very Happy
I'll try and find it.
SFXtra
Motor Baby
SFXtra
May 10th, 2007 at 03:35pm
Hahaha! Anyone imagine Mikey or Ray in black lipstick!?