Don't have an account? Create one!

Musicians and Politics

AuthorMessage
the original JULES
Demolition Lover
the original JULES
June 21st, 2007 at 07:35pm
I believe there is nothing wrong with musicians voicing their political opinion, as long as it is done in a sensible way.
After all, every single person that lives in this world has an opinion.
It just turns out that these people are a lot more renown and have more chance of getting their opinion actually heard.

Blue_Demon:
Do you think they have any right to get involved?
To be honest, it annoy's the hell out of me when they do preach on and on about stuff like that; P Diddy's Vote or Die didn't actually do much anyway. I'm happy that bands want to talk about politics and stuff; but I don't want it shoved down my throat all the time; Bono is a prime example of this; the man does my head in he can go on and on about how Bush was slow in reacting to help the people in New Orleans; but he's not an American so why should he complain about someone who is not even incharge of his own country?
As far as I am concerned, yes they are citizen's, but who they vote for is no bodies business but their own.

I'm not American, yet I say how bad of a politician George Bush is.
In fact, I don't have any American family members, and I live in Australia - on the otherside of the world to that country.
I may be slightly biased in saying this, as Bono is one of my heroes, however why would it be a bad thing if someone with such influential power is trying to help a country that he doesn't "belong" to?
The same thing is happening in Iraq, as we speak.
The Americans and Australians and whomever else who has not withdrawn their troops are fighting in a country, that has nothing to do with them, especially not Australia.
See, it's a very nosy business this political fashion.
What happens in one country does affect the rest of the world.

How often do you actually SEE on the TV news, or read in papers, about Bono saying this, doing that, blah blah blah?
You don't see it very often, or at least here you don't.
But you know that he's doing it.

If you were to say to me: "Every single morning I open the newspaper, there's always some article about Bono preaching for nuclear energy on my roof, and I'm just so tired of seeing his face everywhere" then I can come to understand such a point.

But in all reality, I've seen musicians grace the newspapers here with their political opinion only a few times in some years.
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
June 22nd, 2007 at 06:07am
Age Sixx Racer.:

i feel that its fine for people to voice their opinion
but its wrong when people take these artists opinions
and adopt them as their own solely on the fact
that their favourite singer did.

I agree with that 100%.

Why shouldn't musicians be able to voice their opinions on politics?
Everybody has the right to (in Australia at least) their own opinion, and I don't see why 'political' musicians should be surpressed (for want of a better word) just because they have the opportunity and means to share their opinion with a wider audience.
It's pretty much the same as your average person telling all & sundry what they think of George Bush, Tony Blair, or John Howard, so why do musicians get criticised so much for it?

I may, however, be slightly biased on this topic.
One of my favourite bands, Cog, are extremely political in pretty much everything they do, and they are really passionate about their beliefs.
Now, I don't agree with all of their views (infact, I don't agree with many at all), but I honestly respect them for expressing these opinions. They see problems with the politics of our country, so they get up & tell everybody about it.
As I said earlier, it's just the same as your average joe getting up and having a political rant at a barbecue, but because Cog reach a much larger audience, they get a lot of criticism.

Basically, I think it's great that an increasing number of musicians are taking an interest in politics, but whether that's just jumping on the bandwagon... I can't say.

Going back to what Age Sixx Racer. said, people really do need to not just think 'oh so&so said this, I love them, I have to think the same!', but they need to actually look more into what the issue behind the music (and the musician) actually is.
I believe (the majority of) musicians who make political music, or who are outspoken in their political viewpoints have good intentions, they want to shed light on issues and get public awareness, but people need to look at the whole issue before making their own opinions.
Funky Crime
Bleeding on the Floor
Funky Crime
June 22nd, 2007 at 07:23pm
They have all the right to get involoved. If everyone else who isn't a musician or at least "big" in the music world can say what we want about politics, why can't they?
If people have a strong view of politics, then a band probably won't change their mind. If the political musicians of the world try to make a stand against politics, it's the same thing as musicians trying to make a stand for the fight against aids.
What I mean is, if a band is making an individual think a way about politics, another band could make another person think one way about aids.

I will say that a lot of musicians have NO idea what they're talking about when they speak about politics, because if they just say "THE GOVERNMENT SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH!", well, who cares? The ones who back up what they say, at least in their songs, I think know what they know what they're talking about. But mainstreamers and politics, no, I don't believe even They know what they're saying in songs.
I respect a lot of bands for doing the whole political thing, because the true musicians are doing it because they want to express themselves in the only way they know how, through music.

I see no real problem with it, because if people don't like it, they can shut it off.
I agree with what asha molly. said, people need to look at the whole issue before making their opinions. If not, to me atleast, it's like telling everyone to be vegan when you eat cheese and meat.
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
Joining The Black Parade
ThinkxHappyxThoughts
June 22nd, 2007 at 07:27pm
It's pretty cool. Instead of saying "There's this girl and she's hot and I love her but she doesn't love me so I'll go kill myself now" they're like "The governments got things wrong and it's our duty to fix it so lets do it" it's rad.

Like I got an Anti-flag CD, and it got me much more informed about politics. They have the songs, and then like an essay or whatever explaining it using FACTS as well as opinions. For Blood and Empire by Anti-flag = buy it. =)

But yeah, I'm into it. If I don't like what they're saying I'll just skip the song.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
June 23rd, 2007 at 11:05pm
Punk music and politics have been making love since the genre was created, so why should other musicians be missing out. I think any musician that is brave enough to express themselves politically is a hero
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
June 23rd, 2007 at 11:06pm
Punk music and politics have been making love since the genre was created, so why should other musicians be missing out. I think any musician that is brave enough to express themselves politically is a hero
asha shake.
Devil's Got Your Number
asha shake.
June 24th, 2007 at 02:53am

I just have a question about the whole Anti-Flag writing essays to accompany their songs thing- do they write about both sides of the argument, or just one?

I think, if they only write about one, well thats basically nothing special. Sure, they are giving people more information on the specific issue, but if they aren't giving the whole story, isn't that pretty much keeping people in the dark?
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
June 24th, 2007 at 09:02am
No, because you're supposed to go elsewhere for the other side if you want to know. As long as you're not in a position such as teaching, I don't think you have any responsibility to give someone both sides to the argument because the other side--or other sides, on more complex issues--should come from people who actually believe in those sides of the argument.

musicmad93
Killjoy
musicmad93
October 26th, 2007 at 04:16pm
i think peter garrette from midnight oil is our shadow enviromental advisor or somethin in aus
Teach me to live
Bleeding on the Floor
Teach me to live
October 26th, 2007 at 04:22pm
DIE! DIE! DIE!:

that may be a good idea, but some musicians take it a little too far
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
October 26th, 2007 at 09:41pm
you don't have to be an american to express politics in music. muse have quite a few songs addressing politics (Take A Bow is the only one i can think of at the moment) and if you just read the lyrics, it is just attacking world leaders to the tee. green day had american idiot which was pretty political.
i don't see the problem with it anymore, because it is freedom of speech -- just because they do it with music shouldn't make it any different.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
October 28th, 2007 at 12:44am
XD I agree. That's why you do this:

If you don't support a radical group's ideas, download their music, ditch their live shows, and buy no merch. I Do that myself. I refuse to buy Hellogoodbye, Meg & Dia, Rascal Flats,GOLDFINGER and many others, because they financially back up orginazations like the religious right(s many) or PETA..or whatever.
I don't think it's right not to listen to music for the musician's belief's, but you shouldn't have to fund them.
genresR4losers
Motor Baby
genresR4losers
October 31st, 2007 at 07:39pm
i definately think that there isn't anything wrong with musicians getting involved in politics. after all, they're people too, and they have just as much right to express their opinion as we do....

however, i think the problem lies when their fans just blindly follow whatever they say... i think that the fans should be more aware of what's going on... that's pretty much the only thing that i have to say about it.
Jesse Lacey;
Awake and Unafraid
Jesse Lacey;
October 31st, 2007 at 09:43pm
I think as long as they are being fair and not all "im famous so my opinion is better" they can say whatever they want. It's not like just because you make music that's all you can do. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, even artists of any type.
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 1st, 2008 at 08:36am

Ive come back and thought about the topic more. whilst yes music and politics have had a very turbulent relationship, ive come to the conclusion that theres a line between making massess aware of a problem, and telling the masses what you think about the problem or pushing your ideas on the massess.

[/size][/font]

JadeTiger712
Motor Baby
JadeTiger712
June 5th, 2008 at 01:14pm
^^ I agree with you.

There is a fine line between voicing and pushing your ideas on people
IceHog69
Bulletproof Heart
IceHog69
June 5th, 2008 at 01:21pm
I think everyone has the right to their own opinion, including musicians. It isn't really brainwashing I don't think, because I feel there has to be some sort of force about it for it to be brainwashing.

new born.:
muse have quite a few songs addressing politics (Take A Bow is the only one i can think of at the moment)

The majority of Black Holes and Revalations is quite political
Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 8th, 2008 at 10:13am

yeah but like kids are being brainwashed if you think about it.
like 13 year old Green day kids who picked up a copy of american idiot and after listening to it twice instantly began to chant " Fuck Bush" without even taking the time to understand why they were doing so. and instantly the internet was flooded with scores upon scores of early to mid teenagers who never watched a news report or cared about presidential campains and suddenly they were "fuck bush".

i mean it might not be forced but its happening isnt it ? the results show for themselves.

Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
June 8th, 2008 at 12:03pm
That's not brainwashing, that's kids hopping on trends. Everyone does it at that age. It's not the artist's fault that it happened, and even people with the best intentions can have their messages reduced to thirteen year old kids chanting words they don't understand. It's unfortunate, but shouldn't the other influences in those kids' lives step in and ask why they're saying what they're saying, try and make them think about it, offer some real reading material?

Thug Life.
Bleeding on the Floor
Thug Life.
June 8th, 2008 at 01:44pm

hrmm .
you have a good point.
but unfortunatly. alot of kids were swept up in that whole american idiot thing
saw billie joe as the end all to the whole situation.