Don't have an account? Create one!

Musicians and Politics

AuthorMessage
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
June 8th, 2008 at 09:57pm
I think writing politically-themed songs is quite okay in music. After all, bands and artists write songs mainly for themselves (although in some cases this is debatable), so I don't see why their view on politics shouldn't be heard. People can write about whatever themes they want to - I mean, Cannibal Corpse writes songs about ripping out people's insides and raping cadavers, so I don't see why the likes of Muse and Green Day can't write about politics.

But I agree that some kids are being influenced by political statements made by bands without actually thinking about it. For someone to be against a leader of a country, they have to justify it - they can't just say, "Well, I heard *insert band here* saying Bush was an evil motherf*cker, so I guess he must be!!!"
Heart Attack.
Salute You in Your Grave
Heart Attack.
June 23rd, 2008 at 10:14pm
I agree with mindfuck. I don't think there is anything wrong with musicians writing about politics, they are just expressing their opinions. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? However, it can be a problem if kids who listen to this music hate a certain politician just because their favorite band does, and the kid might not even know what that politician believes in. So I guess its both good and bad. . .