Violin.

AuthorMessage
linerlover
Killjoy
linerlover
May 7th, 2008 at 02:49pm
I'M_NOT_OKAY!!:
This-Is-Halloween:
OMG MY TEACHER GETS MAD AND THRIWS STUFF AT YOU AND Your VIOLIN!

wow that sucks.
my teacher slaps me, but whatever.
At least not in the face.

my teacher got banned from teaching the younger kids at my school, 'cause he made too many of them cry...
and if you don't practise, he makes you play it over and over in the lesson whilst flicking pencils at your head. it hurts.

me and a friend of mine who is also taught by him have decided: he is satan. he never turns the a/c on in the room, and it's right above a swimming pool. and he wears really thick sweaters all the time. not to mention the evilness.

he's a good teacher nonetheless....
linerlover
Killjoy
linerlover
May 7th, 2008 at 02:58pm
oh, i spose i shoulda said this before.

ive been playing violin for just over 9 years, grade 7/8.
i took it up after my mum asked me if i ever wanted to take up an instrument on a car ride, and i said violin. it always seemed appealing to me.
i love playing. even if i get frustrated, i still love it.

basically, i'm taking my grade 5 theory soon, and if anyone had any music they wanted to transpose, could you tell me-- i think it could be good practice.

thankee. =]
Simply Irresistable
Fabulous Killjoy
Simply Irresistable
June 3rd, 2008 at 12:50am
I've been teaching for almost a year now, and it's been going great, but here lately, all of my students moved away. No, I promise it wasn't me who ran them off. I need new students does anyone have any suggestions of how to advertise? I do the best I can, the studio where I teach has flyers up but no new students.
Music is my high!
Killjoy
Music is my high!
June 28th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Yeah ive been playing the Viola(like the violn but has a lower string)for 9 years and its really great. you really gotta sick with it though cuz once you get good it really rocks! And try the electric violin too...ITS AWESOME!!
goodbye blue sky
Always Born a Crime
goodbye blue sky
June 30th, 2008 at 12:39pm
Simply Irresistable:
You're never too old. I'm a violin teacher and my oldest learning right now is in her 50s, and she's still learning and getting it down.

thank you for answering :]
I asked it, because I would really like to take up violin, or viola. I mean really, I love violin music to death!
Moonlight Seeker
Killjoy
Moonlight Seeker
July 6th, 2008 at 07:31pm
Hi.
I play violin since I was 4, so I've been playing it over 11 years. Smile
I simply love my violin... When I'm sad, mad or I'm simply not in the mood, the sound of the instrument calms me down (or sometimes leaves me even more sad, but it feels so good ^^ ).
I'm going to have an exam next week ( i'm terified :X )
I love to play O. Rieding ^^

(by the way, does anybody here has the violin part for Suteki Da Ne, from Final Fantasy Series ? I really like that music and the violin part is awsome ! If somebody has them, please let me konw Razz )
G Way
Jazz Hands
G Way
July 12th, 2008 at 06:07pm
I have been playing violin for 7 or 8 years. I'm pretty good at it too. But I don't like to brag, so yeah.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
July 15th, 2008 at 12:31pm
i have a love/hate relationship with my violin. (:

ive been playing two years in october, and i just passed my grade 2 exam so im still a beginner, but i do love the satisfaction of playing something well.
Simply Irresistable
Fabulous Killjoy
Simply Irresistable
July 17th, 2008 at 04:40pm
I have a question about improvisation. I'm hitting road blocks. Is there anyone in here who plays with a band who can tell me a hint of how to do it?
Ytisahc
Killjoy
Ytisahc
July 21st, 2008 at 05:59am
I've been playing violin for almost 5 years now. I saw my best friends playing and it made me want to learn how to play. The hardest problem I have with violin is shifting around alot. I can play the begining piano part to WTTBP and the violin part that's in the middle of Good Riddance by Green Day. I really want to learn how to play some of the stuff by Emilie Autumn and the Vitamin String Quartet. Also I have a regular used violin that's a medium brown, and I also have a red electric violin that's super awesome!
Moonlight Seeker
Killjoy
Moonlight Seeker
July 21st, 2008 at 08:46am
Ytisahc:
I can play the begining piano part to WTTBP and the violin part that's in the middle of Good Riddance by Green Day. I really want to learn how to play some of the stuff by Emilie Autumn and the Vitamin String Quartet. Also I have a regular used violin that's a medium brown, and I also have a red electric violin that's super awesome!

I play along with Good Riddance too x) I love that music and the violin part is amazing...
Is the electric violin hard to play or is it just like the classic ?
Ytisahc
Killjoy
Ytisahc
July 21st, 2008 at 10:15am
Moonlight Seeker:

Is the electric violin hard to play or is it just like the classic ?

Not really, compared to my regular violin it's alot heavier though, but i've gotten used to it, otherwise it's the same.
Simply Irresistable
Fabulous Killjoy
Simply Irresistable
July 22nd, 2008 at 02:34am
Emilie Autumn loves arpeggios
I think electric is like the classic too... except for the kinds that have frets on it I hear those are really hard to play.
Marc Webb.
Salute You in Your Grave
Marc Webb.
August 15th, 2008 at 12:23pm
I've been playing for 8 years now.
I gave up on grades and individual lessons when my GCSEs started
But I still play in my county's orchestra as a hobby every friday night.
Caerphilly Youth Orchestra, South Wales (:

We've done some pretty cool stuff over the years
One of the best is teaming up with a local band and getting to play with them

My violin is about 5-6 years old and it's just your basic full size medium brown wood.
The only problem I get with it is that i've got MAJOR rosin build up on it and it's all sticky, but I've no idea how to get it off :/ Is there somewhere you can get special cleaning stuff? Preferably online?

Plus anyone know any good sheet music for violin? I know someone posted Cancer on this board ages ago
Simply Irresistable
Fabulous Killjoy
Simply Irresistable
August 17th, 2008 at 07:37pm
Shar Music has a cleaning kit for 10 dollars, which does an okay job.
Also to clean your fingerboard off, put newspaper inbetween it and the body of the violin and rub rubbing alcohol on it. You don't want to get alcohol on the body of the violin at all so that's why you need to put the newspaper under the fingerboard.
linerlover
Killjoy
linerlover
August 29th, 2008 at 12:59pm
Ytisahc:
The hardest problem I have with violin is shifting around alot.

Is the electric violin hard to play or is it just like the classic?

Learning how to shift sucks. When I was learning, my teacher kept on giving me harder stuff, going up into seventh, and having to learn to play in the really high positions made it almost second nature playing in 2nd-5th positions.

Also, for anyone here who's self-taught and wants to improve their technique, Kreutzer studies for violin are pretty good. They're a tad repetitive, but the footnotes are good.

Electric violins are much like the classics, but you can get extra strings and different shapes. They're often heavier, but they're a lot better for playing in bands, as they're far easier to mic. They also come in different colours, but you can get painted classics. I have two violins, a classic wood one, and an electric blue coloured classic.

Simply Irresistable:
I have a question about improvisation. I'm hitting road blocks. Is there anyone in here who plays with a band who can tell me a hint of how to do it?

I don't play in a band, but my parents do a lot of folk festivals, and I get dragged into 'sessions' at pubs, which is basically a group of musicians spending a few hours with permission playing various tunes. They're great places for learning how to play by ear, and improvise. If you don't get a chance with that, start out listening to your favourite songs and singing improvised harmonies, until you feel confident enough to start improvising on your instrument.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
September 20th, 2008 at 11:52am
I played for 3 yrs and stopped. I want to play again though
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
September 21st, 2008 at 08:43pm
I've been playing for 10 years now. I can't believe it's been that long. O_O And I know I'm like a year late quoting this, but,

The Bella:
I'm saving up for a Viper by Mark Wood. but mines a red wood color, and yes its unfair.

Viper

I want a Viper SO bad, too! Or a Stingray, those are rad. I got the opportunity to perform with Mark Wood last July when he had a rock camp around the states.

Here's the Stingray
goodbye blue sky
Always Born a Crime
goodbye blue sky
September 29th, 2008 at 08:56am
What kind of a violin should a beginner have? Any typical (untypical are also very appreciated) advice?
tarasaurus rex!
Thinking Happy Thoughts
tarasaurus rex!
September 29th, 2008 at 10:26pm
Dove Melankolia:
What kind of a violin should a beginner have? Any typical (untypical are also very appreciated) advice?

I don't remember what violin I used when I was a beginner [i rented one from my school at the time], but in Junior high I bought a Mathias Thoma, and I've never liked any violin better. The sound quality is beautiful, and it gives a rich, full sound. I recommend it if you're interested in continuing to play violin. :]

Here's a website kind of about a Mathias Thoma.