Don't have an account? Create one!

July 6, 2007 - My Chem and Gerard in...

AuthorMessage
the narrator.
Salute You in Your Grave
the narrator.
July 6th, 2007 at 12:24am
If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it >>
I saw someone post abut mcr in Heart-Shaped Box in this forum, so I think this is right...

WARNING: If you do not own a sense of humor, please buy one at Target before reading this.

Everybody Hurts is a book released a few months ago, sort of like a guide to the steriotypical 'emo'. It isnt ofensive however, its actually pretty hilarious. It even mentions Alternative Press, and the authors are the managing editor and leading contributor for AP. Its all in good fun. Anyway, mcr and Gerard are mentioned in there a few times. And if you see that they are in a negative light, dont worry, everyone was. They didnt single out anyone Wink

From here on are parts of the book that have My Chem or Gerard mentioned in them. As far as ive read, but im pretty sure this is it.

From the Different Schools Of Thought section:
Goth Emo
Known for gravitating toward the "darker side of life" despite the fact that they're always hanging out in front of Starbucks, emo goths are the easiest to spot of this bunch. Typically they're the ones who are dressed entierly in black (with maybe a bit of red for dramatic flair) and who looked like they watched the "Helena" video by My Chemical Romance the night before and thought to themselves, "Dude, I'm so gonna rock that shade of eye shadow." If your friends are constantly making vampire jokes when you're around, this probably means you.

From the Emo timeline section:
Fall 2005: Emo goes Mattel when My Chemical Romance announces that they have been chosen to produce their own line of action figures. Gerard Way "playing with himself" takes on a whole new meaning and, somewhere, the members of Coheed and Camdria seeth with jealousy.

From the Emo vs. So Not Emo section:
Paris Hilton Sad [Yes, the sad face was ACTUALLY in there.]
Just to make this clear, Paris Hilton is not, nor ever will she be, emo. Not if she wears black converse with black shoelaces, listens to Taking Back Sunday, and have a LiveJournal. Not if she dyes her hair black, wears cranberry MAC eyeshadow, and can explain the ending to Donnia Darko. Not even if she becomes straight edge, changes her AIM screen name to xfromwentzyoucamex, and starts dating Gerard Way. Paris. Hilton. Is. Not. Emo. Period.

From the What Does Your Frontman Say About You section:
Gerard Way
Who: Mascara enthusiast and singer for the goth-emo band My Chemical Romance
Who Emo Fans Love Him:
Time was, if you were willing to put on face paint, you meant buisness. You could be Marilyn Manson singing about being the Antichrist or some phycopath at a New Jersey devils game, but chances are you wernt very popular with fourteen-year-old girls. But when Way began donning Mac cosmetics a couple years ago, he suggested that you don't have to be scary at all. Sure, his lyrics are all about death and the afterlife, but were talking about a guy whos nearly thiry, spent most of his royalties from Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge on collectible action figures, and still looks like a Cambell's soup kid.
What loving him says about you:
Like Way, you will probably wear black for the rest of your life.
See also:
The loads of emo frontmen who have taken to wearing eyeliner despite the fact that they are nearly old enough to be your father.

From Essential Emo Records 101:
My Chemical Romance, Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (Reprise; 2004)
What To Know: This alum didnt invent goth emo, but it did bring the genre to the mainstream whem commercial radio began playing the album's second single, "Helena", roughly every eighteen seconds.
So, why is it essential? Because even them most jaded scenesters had to admire the way this album made emo fans out of fifth graders.

From the Emo fasion Do's and Dont's section:
DON'T outline your eyes in red or black eyeshadow. The result of this makeup maneuver is affectionalely called raccoon eyes, which is not a compliment. If you're going for the embalmed look, then mission accomplished. However, just because Gerard Way got away with it once dosen't mean you can.

From the Adulthood section:
Now, understandibly, you might be a good couple of years-os decades-away from having kids of becoming an "adult." But now you know what to expect: bad records, less hair, and a sad distance between you and your favorite pair of black tapered jeans Growing up, as they say, is also about letting go. but relax, no one expects that to happen anytime soon. At the moment, you're probably still the underage center of your universel, and no on wowuld have it any other way.
However, there will come a time when all these "adult" things will creep into your life and-just like Gerard Way's decision to cut his hair and dye it so that he looks the guy with the Caesar 'do from 98 degrees-it'll be the last thing in the world you expect to occur.

Credit To Sodapop:
The Emo Gutter Punk Look
This fashion statement runs a lot of the same risks as the emo goth look. It requires a lot of black and a lot of slim-fitting clothing, primarily the kind of unbelievably tight black jeans that challenge your aging metabolism. However this look can be pulled off post-twenty-five if you are Mikey Way. Or anorexic.

Please everyone, I just spend an hour looking for and typing all this stuff, try not to spam this thread or post hate. Expressing your opinion of dislike is fine. None of "OHMYGAH, THEY ARE SO NOT EMO, THESE PEOPLE ARE SHIT HEADS!!!" please. I very much respect the people who wrote this, and its a hilarious book in general. Okay, everyone express your opinions or something >>
Miss Americvnt
Bleeding on the Floor
Miss Americvnt
July 6th, 2007 at 12:50am
From the Emo fasion Do's and Dont's section:
DON'T outline your eyes in red of black eyeshadow. The result of this makeup maneuver is affectionalely called raccoon eyes, which is not a compliment. If you're going for the embalmed look, then mission accomplished. However, just because Gerard Way got away with it once dosen't mean you can.

But that upsets me!!!!!

Because it's true. Except, I don't even look "embalmed", I just look stupid.

Anyway, I thought this was really funny, I should check this book out!!!! I've never heard of it.
r e v e n g e
Shotgun Sinner
r e v e n g e
July 6th, 2007 at 01:08am
Known for gravitating toward the "darker side of life" despite the fact that they're always hanging out in front of Starbucks

^haha, I've heard it's like that in brissy, apparently there's about 30 'emo' kids who hang out in front of hungry jacks at Queen st. mall XD
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
July 6th, 2007 at 01:25am
I just bought this book, its hilarious. I love it.
the narrator.
Salute You in Your Grave
the narrator.
July 6th, 2007 at 01:32am

-raises hand- Guilty as well.

I got it for my birthday and didnt stop laughing all day. I felt proud in a way that Gerard and My Chem made it in there >>
madison.
Salute You in Your Grave
madison.
July 6th, 2007 at 01:34am
Vampire Bunny:

-raises hand- Guilty as well.

I got it for my birthday and didnt stop laughing all day. I felt proud in a way that Gerard and My Chem made it in there >>

I felt very proud of them too :]
Whoreifying
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Whoreifying
July 6th, 2007 at 02:41am
Aww man, funny stuff. Never heard of the book, I wanna read it now Smile
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
July 6th, 2007 at 03:13am
i watch steven interview the authors on his show on ffuse, they were really funny tryied to find the book never found it.... until now. i read some parts and i was laughing, funny how true it is and how much alike it is to my view. i'm proud my fav band got in there so many times. and like gerard would ever go out with paris hilton, well then agian... ahhhhhhhh shit i just got a mental picture
x_pansy
Motor Baby
x_pansy
July 6th, 2007 at 04:36am
lmao XD
That's hilarious!! I'm gonna have to find a copy of that book! Does anyone know if or where you can buy it online?
Greg Sanders.
Fabulous Killjoy
Greg Sanders.
July 6th, 2007 at 04:57am
What loving him says about you:

haha.
hoodsey
Jazz Hands
hoodsey
July 6th, 2007 at 09:06am
Cambell's soup kid.?

whats that? lol i so wanna read this now i was laughing just reading that
zero mechanism.
Salute You in Your Grave
zero mechanism.
July 6th, 2007 at 09:14am
Christ, that's hilarious.
I need this book.
Charlie Chaplin
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Charlie Chaplin
July 6th, 2007 at 09:19am
jimmy jazz.:
Christ, that's hilarious.
I need this book.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
July 6th, 2007 at 09:19am
I didn't think the humor was very good. I make Gee emo jokes 24/7 and im a HELL of a lot more funny then that...

In fact, Gerard makes better emo jokes about himself...

"I just got so emo that I fell apart"

Classic *
the narrator.
Salute You in Your Grave
the narrator.
July 6th, 2007 at 10:59am
Does anyone know if or where you can buy it online?

http://www.amazon.com/Everybody-Hurts-Essential-Guide-Culture/dp/0061195391/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0824312-6740652?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183733937&sr=8-1
raggedy doctor
Shotgun Sinner
raggedy doctor
July 6th, 2007 at 11:04am
Shocked
Must. Buy. This. Book.
*runs to buy it*
"Gerard Way 'playing with himself' takes on a whole new meaning."
lmfao
alexander skarsgard.
In The Murder Scene
alexander skarsgard.
July 6th, 2007 at 12:02pm
You think this book is at Books-A-Million? Hmm? Very Happy
I wantttt itttt.
What's the book called?
tchet
Killjoy
tchet
July 6th, 2007 at 01:41pm
Haha love the stuff about Paris Hilton! So so wrong.
eslizard
Salute You in Your Grave
eslizard
July 6th, 2007 at 02:39pm
Vampire Bunny:
Typically they're the ones who are dressed entierly in black (with maybe a bit of red for dramatic flair) and who looked like they watched the "Helena" video by My Chemical Romance the night before and thought to themselves, "Dude, I'm so gonna rock that shade of eye shadow." If your friends are constantly making vampire jokes when you're around, this probably means you.

haha, that sounds just like me... especially the vampire jokes...

Vampire Bunny:

Shifty

Vampire Bunny:

See also:
The loads of emo frontmen who have taken to wearing eyeliner despite the fact that they are nearly old enough to be your father.

that one made me laugh... especially since i can think of a few rockstars that are as old/older than my dad...

i saw this book on myspace, and i wanted to get it, but didnt think much about it.. but now that i know a little about whats inside of it... i def. want to go out and buy it...
the narrator.
Salute You in Your Grave
the narrator.
July 6th, 2007 at 03:40pm
What's the book called?

Everybody Hurts, an Essential Guide To Emo Culture by Leslie Simon and Trevor Kelley.

I saw this book on myspace, and i wanted to get it, but didnt think much about it.. but now that i know a little about whats inside of it... i def. want to go out and buy it...

I saw it on myspace, and I spazzed out. I love these kinds of books, but only after I found out who the authors were. If it was like...someone working for People instead of AP I prolly wouldnt have bought it, because the content would have more than likely been completly degrading >>

At least it said,

"Just because Gerard Way GOT AWAY WITH IT..."

That's a good thing I guess...

Our boy can rock the eyeshadow and get away with it <3