Don't have an account? Create one!

Vegetarianism/veganism.

AuthorMessage
Green Faerie
Salute You in Your Grave
Green Faerie
September 27th, 2008 at 07:02am
I have been vegetarian for nearly 10 years and it was a decision I made on my own because I no longer liked the thought of eating meat. It felt strange that I would eat something that I had felt affection or shown interest for. I always got very excited when I saw animals in fields and as I grew older it became incongruous for me to eat them.

As for the issue of raising my future children as Vegetarian, this is one I am unsure of. I have meat eating friends who ask me about this on a regular basis and I always say that i'm not quite sure. I would not want to deprive my child of anything nutritionally, and I feel too uneducated in this area to make a decision. I would want them to have a balanced diet, if they can get this with Vegetarianism whilst they are developing then I would make that choice. But if they couldn't I would have to suck it up and serve them meat.

One thing I would try my hardest to give them would be the freedom to make a choice as they got older. If when they were old enough to make an informed choice they decided to eat meat, that would be up to them. I would want them to have the freedom that I did.
samantha connolly
In The Murder Scene
samantha connolly
September 27th, 2008 at 12:48pm
Just reminding everyone that we have a thread in the Chamber to talk about your personal experiences with vegetarianism.
This thread is to discuss the moral aspects of it.
Please stay on topic! Thank you.
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
September 28th, 2008 at 12:34pm
I honestly dont get it that, vegans keep trying to find subsidies to food thats naturally from animal products, pizza, sausages etc.

I mean, if you think its inhumane, why imitate the food?
I don't know it just really gets me.
My friends are both vegetarians/bordering on vegans and they have to take so many vitamin supplements to keep themselves healthy to continue this diet because they get nowhere near enough the amount of sustenance they need and they eat a huge variety of vegan foods, its just not enough for a healthy growing body.
Chantal
Bleeding on the Floor
Chantal
September 28th, 2008 at 02:56pm
Bert McCracken:
[size=80]I honestly dont get it that, vegans keep trying to find subsidies to food thats naturally from animal products, pizza, sausages etc.

I mean, if you think its inhumane, why imitate the food?

Nobody ever said the taste of the food was inhumane-just where it comes from. I like the taste of meat and dairy, but I don't like actually eating meat because of all my various issues with it.

My friends are both vegetarians/bordering on vegans and they have to take so many vitamin supplements to keep themselves healthy to continue this diet because they get nowhere near enough the amount of sustenance they need and they eat a huge variety of vegan foods, its just not enough for a healthy growing body.
[/size]

Really? The American Dietetic Association-the mecca of nutritional information- seems to disagree with you(source):

A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

What exactly do you mean by they eat a wide variety of vegan foods?
They eat a wide variety of wholesome natural food-beans,lentils,vegetables,fruits,seeds,nuts,legumes,ect?

Or they eat a wide variety of replacement products-mock meats and dairy- and "accidentally vegan" foods like oreos and chips?

A serving of beans alone provides fiber,protein,carbs,iron, phosphorous, magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper, calcium, zinc.

A serving of spinach provides Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.

I'm not saying every vegan out there should go scarf down as much spinach and beans as they can handle, but there is an enormous amount of nutrients to be gained from plant based foods. Also there is fortification. Everything is fortified these days. There is no way you've walked down a grocery store isle and not seen something obviously unhealthy and covered and sugar, but on the box says its a great source of calcium. Frosted flakes are a good example of this.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 28th, 2008 at 08:27pm
Bert McCracken:

If someone is having to take so many vitamin pills to supplement their diet, then it is they who are interpreting the diet the wrong way. It's not actually a fault of the diet.

I'll admit that when I first became a vegetarian, I really had no idea about my nutrition. But as time went on, I did a vegetarian cooking class, spoke with dietitians etc. and gained knowledge of what to eat to keep myself healthy. And apart from colds (which everyone gets from time to time), I have to say I haven't actually been that ill, especially not from my vegetarian diet.

I know every person will have a different experience, but you can't just say generally that the vegetarian diet is bad, because it's not. More often than not it is the person's misinterpretation of the diet which is causing most of the problems.

Mock meat has virtually no nutrition in it. Yeah, it may be vegan, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. If that's what you're calling 'vegan food' then you're mistaken.

I hate mock meat, mainly because I hate the taste of meat. But that's just a personal thing. I don't have a problem with others consuming it, but they have to realise it has virtually no nutrition.
Super.Ninja.1
Killjoy
Super.Ninja.1
September 28th, 2008 at 11:16pm
Well....
I'm trying to be vegitarian... But it's a huge change, so no mercy if I eat it once in a while, until I realize that I don't need meat to live. Today... I saw how they torture animals so we can eat them. Those inhuman people lock them in super small cages, and the chickens don't even have enough room to grow feathers! It was very sad. It made me feel that just for our good, those innocent beings had to be killed. I think that all the people that survive on meat are going to be in their position in their afterlife..... If that makes any sense
no face.
Awake and Unafraid
no face.
September 29th, 2008 at 02:13am
Mindfuck:
If someone is having to take so many vitamin pills to supplement their diet, then it is they who are interpreting the diet the wrong way. It's not actually a fault of the diet.

I'll admit that when I first became a vegetarian, I really had no idea about my nutrition. But as time went on, I did a vegetarian cooking class, spoke with dietitians etc. and gained knowledge of what to eat to keep myself healthy. And apart from colds (which everyone gets from time to time), I have to say I haven't actually been that ill, especially not from my vegetarian diet.

I know every person will have a different experience, but you can't just say generally that the vegetarian diet is bad, because it's not. More often than not it is the person's misinterpretation of the diet which is causing most of the problems.

Mock meat has virtually no nutrition in it. Yeah, it may be vegan, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. If that's what you're calling 'vegan food' then you're mistaken.

I hate mock meat, mainly because I hate the taste of meat. But that's just a personal thing. I don't have a problem with others consuming it, but they have to realise it has virtually no nutrition.

its not mock meat, they eat very healthy foods, whenever I go round there its usually something like spinach and brocolli with garlic and soysauce on rice. but they dont eat very much as they're both very slight, the older sister is a naturopath so she makes sure they're healthy with extra vitamins.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
September 29th, 2008 at 03:32am
^The fact that they both "don't eat very much" is probably the problem, then. They might eat the right foods, but not enough of them.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
November 2nd, 2008 at 11:19pm
Eponine:
No they aren't. You canine teeth are for ripping and tearing meat. (you can use them to bit into other foods, but they are made for meat) All animals that naturally eat meat have canine teeth. You do not chew with your canine teeth.

really? i always thought canine teeth were for ripping and tearing taffy.
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 2nd, 2008 at 11:31pm
earth2themorgue:
really? i always thought canine teeth were for ripping and tearing taffy.

L. O. effing L. Next time fore go the bad sarcasm unless you're actually going to say something else and add to to discussion.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
November 2nd, 2008 at 11:40pm
i thought my 'bad sarcasm' was a rather intelligent contribution to the discussion, actually.
seriously though, chill out. just trying to lighten up the thread a bit. i guess i forgot that internetz is srs bsness.
Tallulah
Admin
Tallulah
November 3rd, 2008 at 01:37am
guys, keep this on topic please. Take any discussions of this sort to pm's please. Thanks.
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
November 4th, 2008 at 02:14pm

Regardless of animal rights, it remains fact that the food they use to raise animals for food
could be used to feed starving people. :/

I'm a vegetarian, but I don't push my morals at people unless they push their hamburger
at my face. (:
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
November 5th, 2008 at 05:28am
the deathwish.:

Regardless of animal rights, it remains fact that the food they use to raise animals for food
Could you explain that a bit better, or more? Do you mean to suggest that we should give the starving people the food they feed the animals, or the meat from the animals? :/
blow
Bleeding on the Floor
blow
November 7th, 2008 at 09:07pm
the deathwish.:

If we all only ate grains, we would die. I don't understand what you are saying.

earth2themorgue:
i thought my 'bad sarcasm' was a rather intelligent contribution to the discussion, actually.
seriously though, chill out. just trying to lighten up the thread a bit. i guess i forgot that internetz is srs bsness.

Sorry. I guess I took what you said too personally. I've had plenty of people attack me here (or so it seems) for silly things. It just seemed like you where making fun of me. Sorry again.
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
November 7th, 2008 at 09:11pm
Ignore this. Sorry
MCRForeverAndEver
Killjoy
MCRForeverAndEver
November 9th, 2008 at 12:04pm
Im a vegetarian. it feels good being one Smile
CallieHeartsYewx3
Killjoy
CallieHeartsYewx3
November 10th, 2008 at 11:14pm
Hmm
Well I'm a vegetaraian
And I dew believe that animals are meant for eating
But they are NAWT meant for
being abused
and tortured.
I also think meat ish just gross.
earth2themorgue
Bleeding on the Floor
earth2themorgue
November 12th, 2008 at 06:21am
Eponine:
earth2themorgue:
i thought my 'bad sarcasm' was a rather intelligent contribution to the discussion, actually.seriously though, chill out. just trying to lighten up the thread a bit. i guess i forgot that internetz is srs bsness.

Sorry. I guess I took what you said too personally. I've had plenty of people attack me here (or so it seems) for silly things. It just seemed like you where making fun of me. Sorry again.

ah, thats cool. sorry i made it seem like i was making fun of you. i really wasnt Very Happy
shrinking-violet
Killjoy
shrinking-violet
December 30th, 2009 at 03:08am
Im a vegan and my mom and one of my younger brothers are vegeterians everyone else bitches about it because my mom cooks less meat if they really want they should just suck it up and cook it for themselves.