Don't have an account? Create one!

Peer Pressure.

AuthorMessage
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 6th, 2007 at 02:02am
you hear people say all the time on how they wouldn't have done retarted stuff in thier youth, or kids saying, "but all my friends are doing it!" how much can peer pressure change your thinking?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_pressure
hearts and minds.:
The Rules:
2. Spam is ABSOLUTELY forbidden. Stick to the topic at all times.

3. Keep it as calm and civilized as possible please. Let people have their own opinions, don't force yours on anyone.

4. No pyramid quoting.

8. If you agree with someone's post, and you quote it, ALWAYS add your own opinion to it

9. Profanity is not allowed here.

11. "I agree" or "I like <insert topic here>" isn't enough. Elaborate your opinion please.

12. No Chat Speak! Use proper grammar please!

15. Similar to the above, if someone posts an off-topic post, something offensive etc. direct them to the rules, but then leave it. Report the post, but do not spend half a page telling the person off.

Just a reminder. ;]
XGiddyAsAGangBangerX
Killjoy
XGiddyAsAGangBangerX
August 6th, 2007 at 04:48am
i don't think it changes how you think at all.you have to think like that already.some kids care what everyone else thinks or says,some kids don't.its all down to YOURSELF in the end.blaming others is human stupidity IMHO=P if you allow yourself to be affected by what others think,take responsibility for it.
BethanyBRUTAL
Thinking Happy Thoughts
BethanyBRUTAL
August 6th, 2007 at 03:30pm
XGiddyAsAGangBangerX:
i don't think it changes how you think at all.you have to think like that already.some kids care what everyone else thinks or says,some kids don't.its all down to YOURSELF in the end.blaming others is human stupidity IMHO=P if you allow yourself to be affected by what others think,take responsibility for it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 6th, 2007 at 09:26pm
oh sorry i should have explained what peer pressure is, umm like when your friends are doing something and they want you to do it too, so they'll talk you into it and do it. like if your friend offers you pot, they'll say something like "don't worry it can't do anything to you. just try it." like that
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 6th, 2007 at 09:28pm
Peer pressure can also be good.
It depends how it comes about.
E.G you want to get drunk, but none of your friends want to and talk you out of it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 6th, 2007 at 09:40pm
Simple and Clean:
Peer pressure can also be good.
It depends how it comes about.
E.G you want to get drunk, but none of your friends want to and talk you out of it.

thats true but peer pressure is ussually looked at in a negative way, i think thats more of a freind helping you out to make the right decisio, doesn't peer pressure mean like if they're persuading you to do something that could be of harm to you or someone else?
Simple and Clean
Salute You in Your Grave
Simple and Clean
August 20th, 2007 at 11:29pm
^Nope.
We did a whole term of it in drama.
It's just a taboo that it's bad. Because it's still influence whether they talk you into getting drunk or out of it.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 21st, 2007 at 12:50am
Simple and Clean:
^Nope.
We did a whole term of it in drama.
It's just a taboo that it's bad. Because it's still influence whether they talk you into getting drunk or out of it.

good piont, but still, it alters you, like to fit in you'l do it so
broken.
Jazz Hands
broken.
August 21st, 2007 at 01:20am
I think peerp pressure is a two way thing.
If your not the one trying to pressure someone into something, if you don't mess with someone's else decision...

Most won't meddle with your thoughts.
They'll back off cause it's like 'they didn't start with me at Kelsie's party, I needa buzz off.'
Cloud Strife.
Banned
Cloud Strife.
August 21st, 2007 at 11:32am
Well, friends can heavily influence you. Like for the kid example, a child
would want something because everybody else has it.
And, peers can pound on you. They might force you to do something they
do.

Peer pressure is generally not good.

You should make your own decision in the end. Even if they force you or
something, make the right decision.
Kaede
Bleeding on the Floor
Kaede
August 21st, 2007 at 01:56pm
peer pressure is annoying. They try to persuade you to do things like everyone else. Like the above user said, make your own decisions without people pressuring you.

One of my friends went out with some dude because of peer pressure. I was never pressured by my peers.

EDIT: Thats because I'm not the kind of person that conforms easily.
Blue_Demon
Motor Baby
Blue_Demon
August 21st, 2007 at 08:07pm
Peer Pressure is usually involving a person to conform to someone elses way/idea. Pretty much making you biege and unoriginal.
Though it's not just kids, peer pressure is all about, at work ect too.
sweet disposition.
Banned
sweet disposition.
August 21st, 2007 at 08:51pm
Peer pressure is also about being accepted.
I would know, being a sucker to it.

It's not that I want to do these things.
Like getting pissed in the park on cider.
But you think to yourself 'They'll think you're a right twat if you don't do it Phhia, just have some."

So I do.
But then I realised

I need new friends.

With the right group of people around you, peer pressure is not an issue.

But, usually the ones who come with the peer pressure are the "cool kids".
And if you wanna be a "cool kid", you'll do it.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

Blah de blah, it's about being accepted.
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
August 22nd, 2007 at 08:09pm
Phhia_x:
Peer pressure is also about being accepted.
I would know, being a sucker to it.

It's not that I want to do these things.
Like getting pissed in the park on cider.
But you think to yourself 'They'll think you're a right twat if you don't do it Phhia, just have some."

So I do.
But then I realized

I need new friends.

With the right group of people around you, peer pressure is not an issue.

But, usually the ones who come with the peer pressure are the "cool kids".
And if you wanna be a "cool kid", you'll do it.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

Blah de blah, it's about being accepted.

basically that's what i believe, how many stories have you heard of some kid that wants to try to be cool, so they start smoking pot, being promiscuous etc. so yeah
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
September 16th, 2007 at 10:22pm
A lot of people are a "sucker" to peer pressure because they do want to be accepted. Thats probably why a lot of people smoke, drink, do drugs have underage sex etc.
Peer pressure affects a lot of things, a lot of life changing things.

I agree with the cool kids statement above because its true they want to act older then what they really are which is why they do the things i listed above^^ and why they persuade their friends to do the same because they make out its greater and cooler than it really is..

A lot of people regret what they did when they were younger and blame peer pressure for it.
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
Thinking Happy Thoughts
x-Hail Of Bullets-x
September 17th, 2007 at 01:09pm
I have to admit that the most I crumbled to peer pressure was having a couple of cigarettes in year 10, to which I then told my friends to stick it & that it was disgusting.

I think it's important to just be yourself, and I know that can get lost in high school. But who cares what your friends are doing - if they don't accept you for who you are, then they really aren't worth being friends with.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
September 18th, 2007 at 12:43am
well there are two answers for this
one peer pressure in schools when your pressured to smoke,drugs etc
then there is the peer pressure to do the best you can to do good things to strive for the best.

Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 18th, 2007 at 01:37am
everyone is a victim of peer pressure, and you would be pretty hypocritical in my eyes to say otherwise.
i think peer pressure is bad when you start doing illegal shit, or something that could potentionally harm someone else.
Captain Jack Wonka.
Shotgun Sinner
Captain Jack Wonka.
September 19th, 2007 at 01:29pm
Not all bad peer pressures are about doing cigarettes and drugs or anything illegal. One example is, in our group (this was before), we have influenced each other to avoid doing homeworks at home and do it in the morning at school together, and no... not much of a good thing... because by doing so we can cheat and sometimes one does the other's homework, that's much of a bad thing...
an example of small... but really bad effect of peer pressure
Go fuck yourself
Devil's Got Your Number
Go fuck yourself
October 4th, 2007 at 07:20am
dizzy water:
A lot of people are a "sucker" to peer pressure because they do want to be accepted. Thats probably why a lot of people smoke, drink, do drugs have underage sex etc.
Peer pressure affects a lot of things, a lot of life changing things.

I agree with the cool kids statement above because its true they want to act older then what they really are which is why they do the things i listed above^^ and why they persuade their friends to do the same because they make out its greater and cooler than it really is..

A lot of people regret what they did when they were younger and blame peer pressure for it.

yes but the question is if at that weak moment if there was o peer pressure would they have done it ever?