Don't have an account? Create one!

Religion Interfereing With Serious Topics

AuthorMessage
dear matthew
Joining The Black Parade
dear matthew
August 14th, 2007 at 06:39am
i created this because i don't think it really fit into the whole religion thread.
my question is do you think that

-religion is a credible source to place facts on (i.e. God doesn't want us doing this or that)

-religion makes an reasonable impact for being just a belief not a fact.
Alice Cullen
Fabulous Killjoy
Alice Cullen
August 14th, 2007 at 07:13am
I don't think that religion is a credible source to place facts on. We have no proof that anything in the Bible actually happened, and we're trusting a bunch of words written down by people. And TRANSLATED words, nonetheless, so we have no idea if the version we read is even correct.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 15th, 2007 at 01:14am
Alice Cullen:
I don't think that religion is a credible source to place facts on. We have no proof that anything in the Bible actually happened, and we're trusting a bunch of words written down by people. And TRANSLATED words, nonetheless, so we have no idea if the version we read is even correct.

Okai but the bible was created thousands even more years ago. what kind of proof do you want a video?Recording? obivously these people wrote down every single thing they say happened. why would the bible be created to give false information on god and jesus etc.
In this world we cant find proof for everything.
You dont have to go out in the street and see it to believe it most of the times.
an example would be**
your living in the B.C eras you see a murder happen. you confirm to everyone you saw a murder you can name the place where you saw it,you can show where the person was killed. So you show the town the evidence like bloodshed and the murder. Now this news get all the way across the world.Do you actually believe that everyone across the country will believe this?no they wont right? cause there is no picture or video of this happening.many people will believe many will not. Why? cause they werent there.But does that mean the murder never happened. no it did.
but there were no cameras,or tape recorders invented. But there were witnesses

thats one example.

Religion was created to ground rules. if there wasnt any religion there wouldnt be any rules.
religion is only created to make you a better person for you to be happy even in your after life.Fact not every religion is pleasent we cant always obey the rules we have to mess up sometimes but we should do the best we can to obey the rules.Look God tells us whats bad and whats good so he can see what we follow in the good or the bad.Some of our questions we cant answer but thats why we pray for our sins to go away for our questions to be answered.
Religion is there to show us the way to go
Alice Cullen
Fabulous Killjoy
Alice Cullen
August 15th, 2007 at 02:42am
xMyBlackDaliahx:
Alice Cullen:

Okai but the bible was created thousands even more years ago. what kind of proof do you want a video?Recording? obivously these people wrote down every single thing they say happened. why would the bible be created to give false information on god and jesus etc.
You dont have to go out in the street and see it to believe it most of the times.
an example would be**
your living in the B.C eras you see a murder happen. you confirm to everyone you saw a murder you can name the place where you saw it,you can show where the person was killed. So you show the town the evidence like bloodshed and the murder. Now this news get all the way across the world.Do you actually believe that everyone across the country will believe this?no they wont right? cause there is no picture or video of this happening.many people will believe many will not. Why? cause they werent there.But does that mean the murder never happened. no it did.

thats one example.

Religion was created to ground rules. if there wasnt any religion there wouldnt be any rules.
religion is only created to make you a better person for you to be happy even in your after life.Fact not every religion is pleasent we cant always obey the rules we have to mess up sometimes but we should do the best we can to obey the rules.Look God tells us whats bad and whats good so he can see what we follow in the good or the bad.Some of our questions we cant answer but thats why we pray for our sins to go away for our questions to be answered.

Where is the proof that the bible was really meant to be a nonfiction book?

I'm not challanging you. I just want some proof because I'm generally curious.

Thousands of years from now, someone could take the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter books and make a religion out of them or something and no one would bat an eyelash.

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? Well, we have proof that the Harry Potter books are fictional: J.K. Rowling. I just want to see proof that the Bible was intended to be nonfiction. Give me that proof, and I'll shut up.
Fezzik
Salute You in Your Grave
Fezzik
August 15th, 2007 at 03:20am
^That kind of misses the point of religion. You've got to take things on faith, no / little proof.

And I understand how this is a separate topic, but this conversation could definitely be in the Religion thread.
Alice Cullen
Fabulous Killjoy
Alice Cullen
August 15th, 2007 at 03:53am
Fezzik:
^That kind of misses the point of religion. You've got to take things on faith, no / little proof.

Yes, you're right. I guess I've never really been too big on the idea of blind faith. It seems kind of weird to me. But to each their own.
Beeblebrox
Really Not Okay
Beeblebrox
August 15th, 2007 at 07:10pm
xMyBlackDaliahx:

Not true. Man has been on earth, governing over society and making rules thousands of years before the institute of religion. And if you are going to argue the separation of church and state, then please don't assume that everyone should believe in your idea of god. That is definitely an argument for the thread on religion.

Personally, I would love my country to vote into place a religiously diverse government. I would love to have my country tolerate and respect everyone's personal beliefs and to remove all traces of faith from government. I think everyone should be allowed to practice their faith in public without fear or judgement. I think all forms of faith should be protected, not just christian faith.

I think members of the christian faith are wrong to force their faith into schools, into offices, into the pledge of allegiance, the back of the dollar bill, the rulebooks and lawmakers of our country. Christians (not all, but most) tend to think of their religion as the "correct" one and all others are false, which really pisses off the rest of us who don't subsribe to christianity. This mentality is why the separation of church and state is so very difficult. We should be one nation, united under respect for each other.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
August 15th, 2007 at 08:40pm
xMyBlackDaliahx:
Alice Cullen:

an example would be**

thats one example.

Exactly. There is proof that somethings that are in the Bible actually happened (they were recorded by multiple sources, etc.). Religion is based on faith, you don't need facts to have faith. But there are things in the Bible that are proven as fact (wars, battles, people and what they did, etc.) but part of what faith is, is to believe even though some things cant be proven.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 16th, 2007 at 02:58am
Which is all well and good but unfortunately the issues that religion tends to interfere with--law, government, and so on--can't be decided based on things that can't be proven.

Casimir Pulaski Day
Shotgun Sinner
Casimir Pulaski Day
August 16th, 2007 at 08:03am
I want to see my government base a decision, like gay marriage or abortion without mentioning the bible or religion. How do they do that?
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
August 16th, 2007 at 09:57pm
COPPA!:
I want to see my government base a decision, like gay marriage or abortion without mentioning the bible or religion. How do they do that?

They wont. Someone is bound to mention it. Someone religious is always going to interfere.
ticklemegia
Killjoy
ticklemegia
August 17th, 2007 at 08:28am
i think that religion is quite overrated. i'm a christian and all but religion has done a lot more trouble that, let's say, good. it has caused a lot of violence, stereotypings and deaths. it tends to defend itself by supressing laws that could possibly be for the betterment of society.
Frankie-Oreo
Salute You in Your Grave
Frankie-Oreo
August 17th, 2007 at 10:11am
religion shouldn't influence politics.

the seperation of church and state happened for a reason
RedRiot.
Salute You in Your Grave
RedRiot.
August 17th, 2007 at 08:11pm
Religion is based on how people see something, which then could the be interperated in many other ways.
So, I feel that religion is not a credible source.
AmanderBananer
Killjoy
AmanderBananer
August 18th, 2007 at 05:34am
Alice Cullen:

I actually do agree with you, in some ways.

I think religion needs to stay out of government.

We are following rules of our lives, written by some guy thousands of years ago. Every year, something new is added to the bible...Soon it'll be saying

"Thou shall not listen to thou MP3 in Church"

I mean really.

Just because they believed this guy was 'awesome'.

I totally respect and accept anyone who does believe in God, don't get me wrong.

And I do understand that with faith, you have to trust the unknown.

But as I think (and someone else has mentioned) if the world was completely wiped, and put on was new people, and they found a Harry Potter book thousands of years later...They're gonna think that's how they lived all those years ago.

I mean, the bible is a great story, but that's all it is.

Sure, it's to teach you lessons, but not to ultimately live by.

And if reading the bible helped you stop drugs or stop being rude to people, well then that's great! But I don't think that this story should be brought into our politics and our governments decision making.

It's sort of like...

Random president : Well, we're not gonna attack this country, because the Bible says that violence is bad. Sure they are holding basically our whole country hostage and killing everyone...But we're not gonna fight back at all. Let God show them the way.

I mean, come on.
What if it gets to that?

Every religion is different, some show different ways to lead your life...So we can't just go by what 'God' wants us to do...because sometimes, we have to make our own rules. And own decisions. If you never make a decision by yourself...You're gonna be hit really hard when reality stops by and knocks on your door.

(hope I didn't offend anyone ^-^...just my opinion)
Dead Inside
Killjoy
Dead Inside
August 18th, 2007 at 06:06am
Well to me religion is not fact, you can't possibly prove a God exists so to me you should not try to say that a god you can't prove is even there say something is wrong.
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
August 18th, 2007 at 06:18am
dorky_chick:
Well to me religion is not fact, you can't possibly prove a God exists so to me you should not try to say that a god you can't prove is even there say something is wrong.
god does exist.
if he didnt how were humans created?
dont stop.
Salute You in Your Grave
dont stop.
August 18th, 2007 at 06:33am
xMyBlackDaliahx:
god does exist.
Now I don't think you should just use the whole 'how were humans created?' thing.
Humans could've been created any number of ways.
Anyway, I agree with dorky_chick. Religion is not fact. You have no proof.
Ignore Alien Orders
Salute You in Your Grave
Ignore Alien Orders
August 18th, 2007 at 07:56am
xMyBlackDaliahx:
dorky_chick:
god does exist.

To which the obvious response is, "how was God created?"

Carrie White
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Carrie White
August 18th, 2007 at 08:22am
religion is not facts, but it shapes your opinion.in the discussion board you are meant to speak your opinion, and to some people religion gets in through beliefs/ personal experience. its not always a bad thing, unless you're not religious, which is a whole lot of people I've noticed.