Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
September 20th, 2007 at 09:07pm
I know that this is probably does not seem as serious as other topics but I was wondering what you thought about labelling (bands, people etc)
The most used labels nowadays are emo and grebo and it seems if you like rock music you are placed in either of these categories.

Do we even need labels?
What do you think the point of labelling is?
Is labelling a good or bad thing?
Is labelling a type of bullying?
etc.
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 20th, 2007 at 09:35pm
I really dont think labeling is a big deal. If someone doesnt like their label, then they should just ignore it. I actually like my label, so it doesnt really bother me. It could be bullying but it depends on what the label is.
Dream of Falling
Bleeding on the Floor
Dream of Falling
September 21st, 2007 at 07:22pm
I agree. I think it depends on what the label is, and how they mean it.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
September 22nd, 2007 at 12:02pm
I honestly I don't like labeling just because lets say if you were called an emo lots of people would give you abuse about cutting yourself. Its just an evil stereotype.
It is also making you the same as everyone else in a way so if you wanted to be different it wouldn't matter you'd still be called the same label. Like mcr with the black parade because people are ignorant they still called mcr emo so no matter what direction they take an album no matter what they do they will still have a minority of people calling them emo no matter and then they get blamed for suicide when we all know that that is bull shit.
Does that make sense?
Jinx eh?
Salute You in Your Grave
Jinx eh?
September 22nd, 2007 at 03:00pm
It doesn't really matter to me...I got called 'emo' a lot in high school by the 'popular' girls, but I could have just as easily turned around and called them 'preppy skanks' or something...most people are attachable to a label just because of the way they look, and as long as there are stupid people in the world, people are going to keep throwing the labels around anyway. Best just to ignore them.

It does annoy me, the 'emo' label, but it also annoys me when people automatically hate on the emo thing, too. Even Gerard Way went overboard when he called it 'a pile of sh*t, f*cking garbage', though he was referring to the musical aspect.

Too much hate in this world. >.<
ChildVision
Really Not Okay
ChildVision
September 22nd, 2007 at 04:06pm
heh i get called emo by my friends, or 'wemo' wannabee emo, just becuase i wear gothic tops and hoodies and shapy blue jeans. i'm not anything except comfortable
Girl Anachronism
Thinking Happy Thoughts
Girl Anachronism
September 22nd, 2007 at 05:36pm
Do we even need labels?

Everything has a label. Everything is called something. Your name is a label for people to call you by, and soup cans have labels to tell you what is inside the can. So yes, in some way we need labels, but we don't need them if your going to run around and classify people into groups. Because that label may not be the whole person. Everyone is unique and different in their own way, and if you label someone, people who hate that label aren't going to talk to that person, even if they have A LOT in common and could be like family. It narrows all the possiblilites of what and who you can be, because you have to go along with the guide lines that MAKE you 'emo' or 'gothic' or 'preppy' or 'skater' or whatever.

What do you think the point of labelling is?

A pointless and idiotic way to classify people into groups.

Is labeling a good or bad thing?

It's one thing to get called a label (it peeves you off and other then that doesn't really do anything else) but it's a whole OTHER thing when people go around calling themself something that they want to be because they think it's 'cool'. So they go about and change themselves, who they are, what their like, in order to be called that something. When really in the end, their not becoming that said label, they become an annoying fake that no one wants to hang around with. Labels can limit you to what you can be and what you could possibly accomplish in life, and in the end make you unhappy if your trying to live up to the expectation of 'that one emo girl/boy' or 'that one preppy popular girl/boy' or 'the smart one that always get good grades and will never make a mistake in his/her life'.

I'd have to say it's bad and pointless. But I guess it just really depends on your view of the whole labeling situation.

Is labeling a type of bullying?

It actually could be, and quite frankly probably is. For example, take the 'preppy' group, they supposibly hate the 'emo' group, and the 'emo' group supposibly hates the 'preppy' group. Its kind of like racism really, only your not judging someone by race, your judging them by a label, which is just as stupid as racism. Because for all you know, the 'preppy' group and the 'emo'group could get along JUST FINE and have things in common with each other, but they don't realize this fact, and just fight with each other, saying that the 'preppy' group are all stuck up and take money from mummy and daddy because their parents don't care and the 'preppy' group saying the the 'emo' group are all a bunch of winey cutters.

It's pretty stupid really.
lolis12007
Really Not Okay
lolis12007
September 22nd, 2007 at 08:35pm
i think it depends on what they label you as. but i have been called:gothic,emo,rocker,goody-goody but i hate it when they say that im gothic and i don't believe in god...i do believe in god.oh by the way what's grebo?
snow at christmas.
Crash Queen
snow at christmas.
September 22nd, 2007 at 09:08pm
Labels are caused by the same survival skills that mean that you have friends, the creation of an "us" and a "them".
So I think it's stupid, and people shouldn't act on stereotypes, but I also think all this "labels are for cans" stuff is ridiculous. We're always going to judge people like that, it's just how humans are. All we can do is try and stop ourselves from letting that become the only thing.
Pistol_GeeBucks
Joining The Black Parade
Pistol_GeeBucks
September 22nd, 2007 at 10:33pm
I dont like the label stuff. Me and my two friends are called 'emo' but it didnt bother us. Now someone has started a rumor that I slit my wrists. I can ignor it, but, even I did self-harm myself, surely its not any if their buisness?
Ghostgirl191
Jazz Hands
Ghostgirl191
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:37am
people only label things becuase they want to know who they are, so if they label everything else than maybe it'll help them.

i wore an MCR shirt to school and someone said "so that means...you're like....emo..right?"
i laughed at them so much that they just walked off and now theres a rumor at school that i'm supposed to be on medication but my parents were to afraid to force me to take it. so now to everyone at school, i'm emo, and crazy! again, i just laughed
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 23rd, 2007 at 04:58am
I like being called emo, it entertains me. And now that Im getting married to someone whos a punk rocker everyone keeps asking me if Im going to have a black wedding dress and flowers xD I think its funny.
LeATHERMOUTH.
Salute You in Your Grave
LeATHERMOUTH.
September 23rd, 2007 at 12:15pm
i thnk labelling is horrible, it's even worse than being bullied. it's just ridiculous calling someone emo just because they wear black and might like rock music or whatever.
The Joker
Salute You in Your Grave
The Joker
September 23rd, 2007 at 02:01pm
lolis12007:
i think it depends on what they label you as. but i have been called:gothic,emo,rocker,goody-goody but i hate it when they say that im gothic and i don't believe in god...i do believe in god.oh by the way what's grebo?

a grebo is a new name for a metal kid, like someone who likes slipknot etc thats what they're called. It seems if you don't like metal music you're an emo and if you do like metal music you're a grebo. If you wear black or even wear black nail varnish you're a goth.
baby ruthless
Salute You in Your Grave
baby ruthless
September 23rd, 2007 at 08:42pm
I'm always labled. Emo, goth etc. it's just really annoying. i guess i could be used as a way of bullying, i mean it is at my school. then again some people think i'm a vampire at my school but anyway... i don't wanna get all doctorish but i think people label others cause they're insecure about themselves.
weakerthan
Fabulous Killjoy
weakerthan
September 23rd, 2007 at 08:53pm
Surely labelling can be a good thing?
Like, if you hang out with a labelled crowd, surely sometimes it can make people like they fit in, and that they belong somewhere?

I'm not saying that its always the case, but it could happen..Right?

xo
UndyingSoul.
Really Not Okay
UndyingSoul.
September 23rd, 2007 at 11:07pm
elliot major;:
Surely labelling can be a good thing?
Like, if you hang out with a labelled crowd, surely sometimes it can make people like they fit in, and that they belong somewhere?

I'm not saying that its always the case, but it could happen..Right?

xo

Yep Smile
Rhys Webb
Awake and Unafraid
Rhys Webb
September 24th, 2007 at 12:02am
i dislike labels, i never liked them at all.
labels are one of the worst things ever created but again, we need them to make the world go around, correct?
the only think they do, is cause problems for the other kids around, it is really not worth it.
DIE! DIE! DIE!
Bleeding on the Floor
DIE! DIE! DIE!
September 24th, 2007 at 05:46pm
Labling is part of basic human psychology. Maybe not like "Prep". or "goth", but things like "fat person", "smart person", etc. It's a way to catagorize things so we don't have to narrow down to specifics. Our brains can't handle that.

As long as lables (stereotypes) arn't taken to the extreme and treated as if that is the whole person, I am fine with it.
Bleeding Dry
Bleeding on the Floor
Bleeding Dry
September 24th, 2007 at 07:03pm
Labelling is a definite form of bullying.
I know because people suffer from it where i am. even the ones who hate it.
impression of my friend.
"I am not emo! i hate being labelled!"
2 secs later
"Eurgh... look at those chavs over there."

I rest my case.