Don't have an account? Create one!

Labels

AuthorMessage
thank fsm.
In The Murder Scene
thank fsm.
August 1st, 2008 at 06:38pm
Thank you. I removed it from the post myself. I appreciate your respect and awareness of privacy. :]
pandiculation
Killjoy
pandiculation
April 8th, 2009 at 02:05am
I think labels are just stereotypes used by people to put other people they don't really understand into a catagory. So it's easier for them to mock.
But also pretty much everything has a label, like music. Rock/punk/pop/rar whatever. So it's complicated.
Mindfuck
Always Born a Crime
Mindfuck
April 10th, 2009 at 01:03am
lahlaala:
I think labels are just stereotypes used by people to put other people they don't really understand into a catagory.
I disagree. If I label someone a 'goth' it doesn't mean I don't understand them, it just means I see them as being a stereotypical goth, so I categorise them as one. Plus, how can you categorise something you don't understand? I would have though you'd HAVE to sort of understand it in order to make a classification.
ClaireBear016
Killjoy
ClaireBear016
April 10th, 2009 at 07:50am
i dont like labelling, we are people, not tins! yes it good to find where you fit in... but if your like me, that likes every genre of music, and so doesnt really fit in anywhere! then its very annoying

Also labelling puts you into a click... which to me to just wrong! Its why there is bullying!

Its a shame everyone HAS to be put into a label, what happened to just being yourself? its like if i say i like MCR, people instantly think im a emo! when im the complete opposite! it annoyes me.... and MCR arent even emo!

also i think labelling is very immature, when your an adult what u were labelled as a kid didnt matter! Your free to be who you want to be....
i think some people do actually hide behide there labels, as when you in a click of that label, its very hard to change and be something else...

And then i hear that people want to put a labell to people who dont label as anything else!!

JUST STOP THE LABELLING! lol

I know this is quite a serious post, but hey lol
girl interrupted.
Salute You in Your Grave
girl interrupted.
April 10th, 2009 at 06:32pm
I see it as:
Labelling = who cares? Everyone does it anyway.
A bit of light teasing based on your label = take it as a joke, don't give them a 'omg that's so horrible, boooo hoo' reaction.
Bullying and violence based on your label = serious problem.

Dress like an 'emo' if you want to, but if you make a it obvious that you're trying to be different, then people don't like it.
I dress and think the same way I did a year ago, but I get a lot less stick from people now that I don't plaster I'm different
and I'm unique
everywhere. Just be friendly to everyone, it's not hard.

Now I don't like anyone such as teachers etc saying 'they bring it on themselves, if they don't wanna be treated differently,
they should dress the same', because you should have the freedom to do what you like. But if you stop making a show and
a dance about being different from the mainstream, 'chavs' (or whatever, start seeing you as just another kid.

Labels happen, it's just a human thing to do. It's everywhere. You walk into HMV and there's Pop, Rap, Metal,
and all the rest of them. It's only a form of bullying when people start hating each other before they've ever spoken,
because they're wearing a tracksuit/black skinnies/whatever, or there's pure violence involved.
But they're definitely not a new thing, by any means.
Lovesick Melody.
Bulletproof Heart
Lovesick Melody.
April 12th, 2009 at 07:31am

I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I'll repeat it because I can't remember. Labelling is not restricted to teenage cultures. Because of the common use and discussion of labelling in the aspect of groups such as "Emo" and "Goth", so many people have overlooked the importance of labelling in human nature.

Labelling is essentially, classifying people into certain categories. And wether you like it or not, you do it to every person, every day.
When I pass a man in the street, my mind automatically will place this man in either a "safe" or "dangerous" category. This is just one basic methods that almost every creature has to ensure survival.

That's why labelling, in general is not bad. It's just when it gets down to these teen cultures that it starts to get quite annoying.
Jenny.
Jenny.
April 12th, 2009 at 02:59pm
ClaireBear016:

Also labelling puts you into a click... which to me to just wrong! Its why there is bullying!

I disagree. Even if labelling does put people into cliques, it isn't neccesarily the only reason why bullying exists.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
May 11th, 2009 at 03:36pm
People label eachother because its a natural human psychological thing to do. Even the biggest nilhistic person a bit of a conformer in some way, shape, or form.
psychoticlover
Killjoy
psychoticlover
May 11th, 2009 at 04:12pm
I dont think there is anything wrong with labels as long as they are correct. If you say hey that person is goth and they are goth then there isnt anything wrong. But if they are emo or scene and you call them goth and they tell you the difference than you should listen. If you dont know what the name means dont use it. I am proud to be kinda a mixture of emo and goth and if someone calls me it I say yeah I am so what? It starts to become wrong and bullying when people discriminate because you are in a certain group. I hang out with the emo/goth crowd but I have friends who are considered nerds and geeks and even a couple preps. When you cant be someones friend because of the group they are in then there is something wrong.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
May 11th, 2009 at 04:58pm
^imo, why bother labelling in the first place? Then you could be mates with all types of people Wink

Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
November 24th, 2009 at 01:46pm
They can be, but I think it's the most stupidest, pettiest, childish thing. If I'm called something, I don't give a rat's ass. I guess it can be bullyning if you let it bother you. The other person is picking something out about you, even if it doesn't really exist, and calling you by that against your will. It's like saying "hey look at you, you have a big nose". it's just meaningless words and child's play.
John St. John
Shotgun Sinner
John St. John
November 24th, 2009 at 04:52pm
Darkromance:
it's just meaningless words and child's play.

Unfortunatly its not always just verbal abuse, it can escalate into violence.

And not all verbal attacks are easy to shrug off, sometimes there just as vicious as physical.
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
November 25th, 2009 at 10:26am
I have to disagree with you "Darkromance". Just because it's not physical abuse doesn't mean it's not abuse. You have to take into consideration that people can be really affected emotionally. People can be sensitive, and "meaningless words" can leave them self-conscious and ashamed of themselves for something that isn't their fault.

xXxPartyPoison015xXx
Killjoy
xXxPartyPoison015xXx
November 25th, 2009 at 04:40pm
I am used to being labeled as an emo. So I am used to being called it. I don't think we should use labels unless the person wants it. If they don't the people should just leave them alone and shut up.
Break Me Down
Fabulous Killjoy
Break Me Down
November 25th, 2009 at 07:49pm
It depends on how you want to see them.
You can get overly upset and try to kill yourself over them, or
you can laugh it off. everyone I know calls me emo.
but I just laugh along and go with it.
I wish everyone could look at it this way.
fawkes
Bleeding on the Floor
fawkes
November 28th, 2009 at 12:56am
Labels are just ways to give a lot of information about a person with one word. I really don't care what people call me: emo, goth, nerd, etc. But when people are bullied just because they identify with a certain label, that I do not agree with.

(And yes, I know there is a difference between goth and emo, but I don't bitch about being called one over the other. They are kind of similar on the surface to those who know nothing about either...)
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 2nd, 2009 at 10:30am
the_not_okay_kid:
It depends on how you want to see them.
You can get overly upset and try to kill yourself over them, or
you can laugh it off. everyone I know calls me emo.
but I just laugh along and go with it.
I wish everyone could look at it this way.

i don't think it's a matter of perception, people don't really decide to be upset by it.
different people have different levels of sensitivity emotionally.

xXxPartyPoison015xXx
Killjoy
xXxPartyPoison015xXx
December 5th, 2009 at 07:13pm
paul I agree. But people don't always have to get mad over the littlest things.
And now because I have a couple of scratches on my arm, people are like emo this and emo that. And I yell at them because that's not what emo means. it means emoitive hardcore. (I think) but most people say it just means your emotional. what's your deffinition to emo?
teen spirit.
Crash Queen
teen spirit.
December 5th, 2009 at 10:05pm
^i think the definition of emo isn't something that can be deciced.
it means different things to different people, and it's changed over the course of it's run in society.
Darkromance
Banned
Darkromance
December 7th, 2009 at 03:22pm
John St. John:
Darkromance:
it's just meaningless words and child's play.

Unfortunatly its not always just verbal abuse, it can escalate into violence.

And not all verbal attacks are easy to shrug off, sometimes there just as vicious as physical.

I guess it matters how much you give a sh*t and/or where you live. If youre in a school or just a place where people aren't going to do escalate it into violence and be immature like that, Then it's child's play.