Don't have an account? Create one!

September 22nd, 2007 - Gerard says that "Emo is a pile of sh*t"

AuthorMessage
Alexface.
Salute You in Your Grave
Alexface.
November 28th, 2007 at 07:09pm
Kerrang magazine asked some readers for their view on it, and one of the three comments was pretty decent.
But i really blew my top when i read what one girl said, something along the lines of: "My Chemical Romance started off the whole emo thing anyway, they shouldn't be complaining."

That girl needs a reality check.

Any person in their right mind would know that Gerard was having a go at the stupid labelling playground-insult fad, not the proper emo music genre (Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World etc.), which My Chem don't belong to anyway.
the greatest coward.
Bleeding on the Floor
the greatest coward.
December 2nd, 2007 at 07:00am
Oh Gerard, Gerard, Gerard.

I love you, but why'd ya have to go and say this?

We all know MCR isn't emo. Please just leave it at that. You don't have to insulting other bands like that. If you are so anti-labelling, then why are you labelling bands considered "emo" as shit? It makes no sense to me.

Personally, i love emo. Not as much as I love MCR of course, but I definitely love emo. Why can't we all just get along?
Faye Merci
Salute You in Your Grave
Faye Merci
December 2nd, 2007 at 09:56am
Scarlet.:
Oh Gerard, Gerard, Gerard.

I love you, but why'd ya have to go and say this?

We all know MCR isn't emo. Please just leave it at that. You don't have to insulting other bands like that. If you are so anti-labelling, then why are you labelling bands considered "emo" as shit? It makes no sense to me.

Personally, i love emo. Not as much as I love MCR of course, but I definitely love emo. Why can't we all just get along?

but he isn't saying emo music is shit, he says the genre today is shit. i don't think he means the music. i think he's more pissed at the classification of emo. after all, people call gym class heroes, fall out boy, my chemical romance and linkin park all emo, but they don't even get close to sounding alike. i think this is what gerard is saying is a pile of shit.

he's more pissed at the fact that whatever's popular is called emo, not emo bands.
howrie
Killjoy
howrie
December 2nd, 2007 at 10:15am
i agree. i hate how so many bands get labelled emo....i mean people call panic at the disco emo....and so many losers thing that bands like panic, fall out boy and mcr (as well as lots more) sing bout harming themselves.....well thats bullshit

then you have all these people who listen to manson picking on people who are "emo" when manson sings more bout hurting himself then what mcr do by a mile

emo is all bullshit
Mr.Armstrong
Awake and Unafraid
Mr.Armstrong
December 2nd, 2007 at 07:38pm
why cant people just leave gerard alone
its so annoying he's doing so much for us
*writing songs
*making amazing music
*Preforming
gerard has a life too he an say what ever he wants and i agree with him
100%
why dont people leave him alone with emo stuff
he has to constantly repeat "mcr isnt emo"

XxRiseOutYourGravexX
Killjoy
XxRiseOutYourGravexX
December 2nd, 2007 at 07:57pm
He's right tho...
I mean most emo music is shit tbh
MCR rule!! lol and if they dont wanna b called emo cuz it isnt wat they feel they r, then i think other ppl shud respect that
didnt they say they were, like, neo goth rock?
MCR rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xXx
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 2nd, 2007 at 10:51pm
XxRiseOutYourGravexX:
He's right tho...
MCR rule!! lol and if they dont wanna b called emo cuz it isnt wat they feel they r, then i think other ppl shud respect that
xXx
Have you ever heard a true emo band?
desert skies.
Shotgun Sinner
desert skies.
December 3rd, 2007 at 12:57am
howrie:
i agree. i hate how so many bands get labelled emo....i mean people call panic at the disco emo....and so many losers thing that bands like panic, fall out boy and mcr (as well as lots more) sing bout harming themselves.....well thats bullshit

then you have all these people who listen to manson picking on people who are "emo" when manson sings more bout hurting himself then what mcr do by a mile

emo is all bullshit

I agree. So many bands are classified as emo these days that it's insane.
XxRiseOutYourGravexX
Killjoy
XxRiseOutYourGravexX
December 3rd, 2007 at 02:05pm
Ierophile.:
XxRiseOutYourGravexX:
He's right tho...
xXx
Have you ever heard a true emo band?

Yea ur right i suppose...
shudnt stereotype when u dont know
TaraIsBack!
Bleeding on the Floor
TaraIsBack!
December 4th, 2007 at 09:09pm
I used to know a lot about music, and this is in no way meant to be rude to the emo people out there, but I have no idea what really makes a band Emo anyway.
I alwyas thought of MCR as kind of punk/metal.
LivingDead
Fabulous Killjoy
LivingDead
December 5th, 2007 at 06:47am
No Offense. But Gerard Himself is into "Self-Expression" But if he is Let's say discriminating emo then it's hard for me to believe that gerard is really honest about this expressing thing.... because if he were he wouldnt call emo as piece of shit considering the fact that they are being labelled as emo....
Spencer Reid
Always Born a Crime
Spencer Reid
December 5th, 2007 at 02:58pm
^^Well, most people who get called emo do not consider themselves emo.
How can you discriminate against a "type" (for lack of a better word) of person if it doesn't exist?
If a person doesn't think that they are "emo", then they are not emo; therefore, there is nothing to discriminate against.
I just think that he is saying being called emo as an insult or whatever is a pile of shit.
fabulous killjoy.
fabulous killjoy.
December 5th, 2007 at 03:31pm
LivingDead:
No Offense. But Gerard Himself is into "Self-Expression" But if he is Let's say discriminating emo then it's hard for me to believe that gerard is really honest about this expressing thing.... because if he were he wouldnt call emo as piece of shit considering the fact that they are being labelled as emo....
He's not discriminating against emo, he's saying it like it is. He's saying emo is shit. The modern emo is shit. He never said anything bad about the true emo, because if I recall, he was talking nothing but nice things about Rites of Spring. I think you're confused with what everybody else thinks emo is, which is a person with sidebang hair, skinny jeans, a bow in their hair who cut themselves and are apparently depressed. Emo is not a person, it never was a person. That's not emo. He can't be discriminatory against a type of person that can't even exist.

Emo has just become a worthless and discriminating thing against people. So really, Gerard isn't being discriminatory, it's the word "emo" itself. MCR being labeled emo is because places like NME and MTV have no idea what emo truly is and have made it into their own separate thing. It's totally false and it's obvious most people who label them and think of them as emo have never heard an actual emo band.
Spencer Reid
Always Born a Crime
Spencer Reid
December 5th, 2007 at 05:15pm
The word "emo" is not in the dictionary; therefore, it is not a word nor does it exist.

You can't descriminate against something that doesn't exist.....
Cloza
Killjoy
Cloza
December 8th, 2007 at 05:19am
In NZ a big day out interveiw tottaly attacked them about being emo. I remember watchin it and i was about to hunt the interveiwer down he refused to beleive they werent emo when gerard was sayin they werent...
i was in auckland at the time(being half kiwi) and i was about to wage war on NZ media

Gerard was goin on that emo is something they never wanted to be related to its something the media did...the voice over was wat got me though it was basically saying gerards of his plot and dosent know what hes sayin
Craig Owens
Bleeding on the Floor
Craig Owens
December 8th, 2007 at 02:53pm
He's refering to the term 'emo' I believe; not the music (whether it be true emo or the bands classified wrongly) or the type of person who dresses in the style now labeled as emo/scene. I take it as him saying people who use the term 'emo' for other purposes then describing emotional hardcore bands is bullshit. My little insight into it.

And for whoever asked what classifies a band as emo: it's mainly a metal influence, insightful lyrics, and the singer uses his/her voice as an instrument through screaming, whispering, talking, singing, other noises, etc. For example, Circle Takes The Square is a modern day emo band. Fall Out Boy, Gym Class Heros, Panic! At The Disco are NOT emo, at all.
Emmii_MCR
Killjoy
Emmii_MCR
December 8th, 2007 at 09:11pm
I agree with him.
I'm constantly called emo at school, and its only happening because I wore my mcr shirt to school once. GAH!
Noxmorexlies
Jazz Hands
Noxmorexlies
December 15th, 2007 at 02:46pm
I compeltely agree, first of all todays so called Emo is nothing about music its all about the hair styles and clothes that drag along bands calling them 'emo'. They sure as hell don't seem Emo to me, and I'm glad Gerard said this. Either way If someone is listening to them because they believe they are emo and not because they like their music thats beyond stupid.
neville longbottom.
Banned
neville longbottom.
December 15th, 2007 at 03:18pm
Matt C.:
He's refering to the term 'emo' I believe; not the music (whether it be true emo or the bands classified wrongly) or the type of person who dresses in the style now labeled as emo/scene. I take it as him saying people who use the term 'emo' for other purposes then describing emotional hardcore bands is bullshit. My little insight into it.

Completely right. Gerard did another interview where he said he was saying that he hates what emo has become and that he loves real emo. Or something like that
Rose Red.
Jazz Hands
Rose Red.
December 15th, 2007 at 08:43pm
I saw this interview (I can't remember the name of the show) and the interviewer asked Gerard about the whole emo is shit line. Gee pretty much explained that he meant the "jeans and a haircut" and how scene it's become, not what it was back when he was growing up.